Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Tock's Avatar
    Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Fort Worth
    Posts
    7,103

    Stock Market tips -- got any?

    XMSR (XM Satelite Radio) -- I bought $6k of this a couple years ago when it was $10 a share, then it went down to $2-something, now it's up to $21, expect to see it hit somewhere in the $60's in a few years, just in time to replace my humble little Chevy S10. Stock looks good 'cause XMSR is a pretty good product (check out the sample at www.xmsr.com ), their only satelite competitor is way way behind, they won't have any more competition (thanks to the US gov't) until 2009, and their trends are decidedly up.

    TXN (Texas Instruments) -- bought some around 1991 when it was $25, it's split 6 times since then, been buying more along the way. Shoulda sold it all when it hit $99.5, but like all the other fools in the tech bubble, rode it down, down, down . . . it hit $15 a year ago or so, now it's $30. I like it 'cause from what I've read, they're #1 in wireless technology, DSP's, and make a bunch of other innovative stuff (like DLP's digital light processors for video displays). Big business spent megabucks just before 2000 to beat the 2000 bug, now all the old technology is wearing out, and they're upping their budgets to replace all that old stuff. And when they do, it's gonna include lots of wireless toys, like the wireless tags WalMart wants all of its vendors to put on the pallets of stuff they ship (WalMart expects to save $2 billion a year with this). Anyway, TI is #1 in this stuff, plus cell phones . . .
    Their stock price is definitely manic-depressive . . . Stock was around $180 right before they announced they were getting out of the home computer market. The day after, it was $90. It goes up and down with the semiconductor market cycles . . . it was way up in the 1990's, has been in its worst down phase ever since 2000, and looks like the next up cycle is just now starting. Wouldn't be surprised to see $100 in 4 or 5 years.


    Anyone else have any other favorites?

  2. #2
    KeyMastur is offline VET
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    7,435
    if you would have asked me this a week ago, i would have told you to pour money into Administaff - ASF. i bought at 7.88 earlier this year and it's soared up to 14.57 right now. last friday it was at 11, and then they settled a case with Aetna and it started skyrocketing

  3. #3
    Money Boss Hustla's Avatar
    Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,101
    When it comes to making big money in investing....you're either on the inside...or the outside.

  4. #4
    bermich's Avatar
    bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4,808
    BUY LOW. SELL HIGH.
    Dont tell anyone else about that tip or else it will be all over the internet and the tip will be worthless. Keep it between us kid.
    My dad makes 200,000 a year JUST off the stock market. If I need advice, Im sure I will ask him.

  5. #5
    KeyMastur is offline VET
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    7,435
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    My dad makes 200,000 a year JUST off the stock market. If I need advice, Im sure I will ask him.
    well shit, WE need advice, so get his ass an AR handle pronto.

  6. #6
    bermich's Avatar
    bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4,808
    LOL. He plays it an entirely different way. It goes back to the old saying "takes money to make money"
    Once you have about 100,000 of freed up capitol, you can make about 25 percent of that each year EASILY.
    Small gains with a large investment.
    If you bought 1,000 shares of a stock and it goes up 50 cents in a month, then you made 500 dollars off of a SURE INVESTMENT basically. If you have the money to buy 10 or 20 different stocks at about 1,000 shares each month and just plan on doing the same system then you will make around 5k per month and it is basically safe investing as far as safe investing goes.

    There is A LOT of good advice out there. There is also a lot of advice based on pure speculation. Trust your research. 4 years ago, the common person didnt have such access to company info. Now the common person has about the same access and info as the stock broker does.
    Buy a good stock market book and read it. There is more to the stock market than just being able to buy shares. Its like craps, There are several games and ways to bet and win just inside that one game.

  7. #7
    Money Boss Hustla's Avatar
    Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,101
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    "takes money to make money"
    Not always the case. Leveraging is huge especially with the low rates.

    Real estate is one way that you can make money without money.

  8. #8
    Tock's Avatar
    Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Fort Worth
    Posts
    7,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    When it comes to making big money in investing....you're either on the inside...or the outside.
    ====================

    Not always . . . sometimes, if you know enough about a particular industry and keep up on what's going on in the business, you can read between the lines and tell when a good opprotunity presents itself . . .

    Many moons ago, the guy who started the Commodore Computer company (remember the C-64 anyone?), the guy who built it from nothing into the mega-million $$ multi-national corporation, lost his job as CEO when the company's board of directors got tired of him. Of course, he got mega-millions of $$$ to persuade him to leave. Well, there he was, a brilliant unemployed rich guy with lots of ideas, looking for a new challenge. (Oh by the way, this was all stuff they published in computer magazines they published for the general public, nothing as esoteric as the Wall St Journal.) It turns out that Atari, the former #1 name in home computer games, had fallen on hard times, and was for sale for cheap. When I read that this guy had purchased the entire Atari company, I figured he was going to revive the company. I looked up the stock price then, and it was right at $1 a share. I cussed a bit 'cause I was too poor at the time to invest the cash . . . but I kept an eye on it, and in two years or so it was up to $9 a share.
    No idea what it is now, or even if Atari is even around anymore. For a while, though, it was the #1 or #2 selling PC Clone in Europe, and was the best computer for making music on anywhere.

    Dunno what business you're in, but if you pay a lot of attention to what's going on in it, from time to time you can spot likely winners amongst the various competitors . . . buy their stock when it's low, and if you've done your homework, you can make some big $$$. Just gotta stick with what you know.

  9. #9
    Bigboy123's Avatar
    Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Far East Coast...
    Posts
    1,531
    seriously look into various pharmacutical companies... do some research...

  10. #10
    bermich's Avatar
    bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    Not always the case. Leveraging is huge especially with the low rates.

    Real estate is one way that you can make money without money.

    Real estate right now is good too. I know many friends who are millionares now just from the last four years of buying and selling and fixing up.
    California for one. A house two years ago cost 300,000. Two years later that same house is selling for 600,000. Or a 500,000 house now sells for a million.

    Off subject of stock markets but hey.

  11. #11
    Bigboy123's Avatar
    Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Far East Coast...
    Posts
    1,531
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    Real estate right now is good too. I know many friends who are millionares now just from the last four years of buying and selling and fixing up.
    California for one. A house two years ago cost 300,000. Two years later that same house is selling for 600,000. Or a 500,000 house now sells for a million.

    Off subject of stock markets but hey.
    Realestate is amazing, the place that is absolutly amazing is florida, jersey shore, any where, weschester NY.. If u have the money to invest, go for it... IM lookin at buyin some stuff in florida...

  12. #12
    Ryanhallmark's Avatar
    Ryanhallmark is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,341
    Haha..I bought XMSR and SIRI about 2 years ago..I got the XM at 5.00 and like you said it is at like 21.00 now..and I bought the siri at like 6.00 and it is at like 2.00 now..so I gained some and lost some..But get this XM isnt going to be profiting until next year...then that stock is going to go up like microsoft.

  13. #13
    mass junkie's Avatar
    mass junkie is offline banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    on the net
    Posts
    8,849
    Whats the minimum to open an account on Etrade?

  14. #14
    Da Bull's Avatar
    Da Bull is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    X
    Posts
    0
    I daytrade stocks.........buy and hold are for losers

  15. #15
    Da Bull's Avatar
    Da Bull is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    X
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    XMSR (XM Satelite Radio) -- I bought $6k of this a couple years ago when it was $10 a share, then it went down to $2-something, now it's up to $21, expect to see it hit somewhere in the $60's in a few years, just in time to replace my humble little Chevy S10. Stock looks good 'cause XMSR is a pretty good product (check out the sample at www.xmsr.com ), their only satelite competitor is way way behind, they won't have any more competition (thanks to the US gov't) until 2009, and their trends are decidedly up.

    TXN (Texas Instruments) -- bought some around 1991 when it was $25, it's split 6 times since then, been buying more along the way. Shoulda sold it all when it hit $99.5, but like all the other fools in the tech bubble, rode it down, down, down . . . it hit $15 a year ago or so, now it's $30. I like it 'cause from what I've read, they're #1 in wireless technology, DSP's, and make a bunch of other innovative stuff (like DLP's digital light processors for video displays). Big business spent megabucks just before 2000 to beat the 2000 bug, now all the old technology is wearing out, and they're upping their budgets to replace all that old stuff. And when they do, it's gonna include lots of wireless toys, like the wireless tags WalMart wants all of its vendors to put on the pallets of stuff they ship (WalMart expects to save $2 billion a year with this). Anyway, TI is #1 in this stuff, plus cell phones . . .
    Their stock price is definitely manic-depressive . . . Stock was around $180 right before they announced they were getting out of the home computer market. The day after, it was $90. It goes up and down with the semiconductor market cycles . . . it was way up in the 1990's, has been in its worst down phase ever since 2000, and looks like the next up cycle is just now starting. Wouldn't be surprised to see $100 in 4 or 5 years.


    Anyone else have any other favorites?
    Rule #1....never love a stock.

  16. #16
    rambo's Avatar
    rambo is offline The Lord God
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    BURNING THE CAPE
    Posts
    3,035
    I would NEVER hire you to daytrade for me. My IBM would be doing a bellyflop and you would be chasing mass junkie around the board with a spatula and spanking him on the ass.

  17. #17
    Da Bull's Avatar
    Da Bull is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    X
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    I would NEVER hire you to daytrade for me. My IBM would be doing a bellyflop and you would be chasing mass junkie around the board with a spatula and spanking him on the ass.
    I daytrade for myself only........and IBM sucks!!!!Guess you don't like money.How much you make today so far........I hope over 4000.00

  18. #18
    rambo's Avatar
    rambo is offline The Lord God
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    BURNING THE CAPE
    Posts
    3,035
    , no actually I made 4001.00

  19. #19
    mass junkie's Avatar
    mass junkie is offline banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    on the net
    Posts
    8,849
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    I would NEVER hire you to daytrade for me. My IBM would be doing a bellyflop and you would be chasing mass junkie around the board with a spatula and spanking him on the ass.
    Rambo I dont love you anymore

  20. #20
    Da Bull's Avatar
    Da Bull is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    X
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    , no actually I made 4001.00
    I'm not done yet,holding 62 positions right now and will close them all out at days end

  21. #21
    rambo's Avatar
    rambo is offline The Lord God
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    BURNING THE CAPE
    Posts
    3,035
    Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    Rambo I dont love you anymore
    I'm starting to think you never did...

  22. #22
    mass junkie's Avatar
    mass junkie is offline banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    on the net
    Posts
    8,849
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    I'm starting to think you never did...
    used to

  23. #23
    Da Bull's Avatar
    Da Bull is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    X
    Posts
    0
    opppppppppppppps.....another 900+ keep talking rambo,I'll retire today

  24. #24
    rambo's Avatar
    rambo is offline The Lord God
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    BURNING THE CAPE
    Posts
    3,035
    Actually today is Veteran's day. I think I've made -4 dollars today. I'm coming to your house for dinner.

  25. #25
    Da Bull's Avatar
    Da Bull is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    X
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    Actually today is Veteran's day. I think I've made -4 dollars today. I'm coming to your house for dinner.
    Lobster for all

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •