BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Thought this deserved to be passed along...

....I'm not religious, in fact, I'm probably as agnostic as they come (the film "Dogma" and Thomas Jefferson's ruminations on the existence of a "god" are probably most emblematic of my position). Nevertheless, I had this passed along to me today and, with or without its divine connotation, certainly think it's worth a read. I guess I want there to be some higher being, and if there is such a thing, I'd like it be like this:

http://www.theinterviewwithgod.com/

(just click on "view presentation)

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    ....I'm not religious, in fact, I'm probably as agnostic as they come (the film "Dogma" and Thomas Jefferson's ruminations on the existence of a "god" are probably most emblematic of my position). Nevertheless, I had this passed along to me today and, with or without its divine connotation, certainly think it's worth a read. I guess I want there to be some higher being, and if there is such a thing, I'd like it be like this:

http://www.theinterviewwithgod.com/

(just click on "view presentation)

I really want to be spiritual. I've read every major piece of world literature I could get my hands on. I've humoured every religious disciple that's come to my door. They all end up flustered as they leave the house, and not just because I had grabbed their ass. I really want to believe in something. But it always comes down to the same basic premise- regardless of the religion... you have to have faith before...you can have faith. Corner any priest, rabbi, or ayatollah, and if you question them for enough time they will drop the "faith bomb". You could ask them for proof of thier god and prophets and they will quote you scripture fervently...but eventually, they will just tell you to "have faith." I started to read the novel "Conversations with God" about a year ago, and couldn't get past the first chapter. It was the most ludicrous, self indulgent piece of religious histeria I have read in a very long time. I couldn't believe someone had actually spent the time writing a book so incredibly blasphemous to their own religion. And yes, if there is a God, which I really hope there is, I would love it if he spoke to me over elevator music and looked like a collection of Webshots Desktops. I would also hope that he spoke only in cliched proverbs reminiscent of "Chicken Soup for the Soul" excerpts. People just want to believe in something to give them hope, me included. Religious hysteria is the driving force behind 90% of our world issues. My god is indeed, better than yours? Fine. Organized religion is looking more an more like an escape from reality. As long as our dieties are appeased, we have license to sin. Religion is our prerequisite for decency, and it's amazingly potent. I can honestly say now that it's 1:10 AM and I am once again, ranting aimlessly. I really don't know what I'm getting at, just hope that one day, I'll actually figure something out... BG I'm sorry this post had an initial direction, but I completely lost it.

The Butcher is offline Member
    I've always fealt (and still do) that religion is an opiate for the masses. Guess my upbringing was too grounded in reason and practicality. Never the less, the message does give you something to think about. Not so much that God is watching over us, but rather that so many of the things that we do end up ironically paradoxical. Sort of humorous if you think about it.

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher
    I've always fealt (and still do) that religion is an opiate for the masses. Guess my upbringing was too grounded in reason and practicality. Never the less, the message does give you something to think about. Not so much that God is watching over us, but rather that so many of the things that we do end up ironically paradoxical. Sort of humorous if you think about it.
    Nice avatar Butcher

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    That was nice, although, more philosophy and wise man words than saying it was something only GOD says and wut not.

And how come I don't get to interview God? Man o man! I would just like him to give me a sign that he does exist, then I wouldn't be such doubting semi-athiest asshole

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    That was nice, although, more philosophy and wise man words than saying it was something only GOD says and wut not.

And how come I don't get to interview God? Man o man! I would just like him to give me a sign that he does exist, then I wouldn't be such doubting semi-athiest asshole
    Words well spoken

Thread Information