Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    redrumkev is offline Associate Member

DVD - ripping/copying

whats up bros?

Now I know someone on here has to has the answer for me. My question being that I am going to build a new computer with an 8x DVD burner. Now I was wondering if you copy DVD to DVD how they turn out? The guy at the store said that is not recommended and that the quaility will be bad. I think he is worried about copyright stuff. Now I know I might need to copy to my HD first as the transfer rate DVD player to DVD burner might not be high enough. But like CDs shouldn't a burnt DVD be the exact same quaility as the original. I mean they are both just 1's and 0's and the stream of 1's and 0's are the same. I understand why VHS degrades from copying and time, but digital should remain the same quaility. Anyhelp?

dizzle is offline Respected Member
    if you're talking about video dvds, you have to remember that most retail video dvds are dual layered up to 9GB, DVD-R drives only hold 4.3 or 4.7GB.

What most people do is downsample the video or take out language audio streams.

I use the dvdshrink software. http://www.dvdshrink.org

There's some other good software programs out there, but this is by far the easiest to work with.

you can also check out doom9.org for other info on burning dvds

Quote Originally Posted by dizzle
    if you're talking about video dvds, you have to remember that most retail video dvds are dual layered up to 9GB, DVD-R drives only hold 4.3 or 4.7GB.

What most people do is downsample the video or take out language audio streams.

I use the dvdshrink software. http://www.dvdshrink.org

There's some other good software programs out there, but this is by far the easiest to work with.

you can also check out doom9.org for other info on burning dvds
    I was on doom9.org when writing the orginal message. If I do downsample or remove unneed audio tracks - this will lower the quaility, correct (from the downsampling). To what level - that of VCD or SVCD or something of the sort. I guess is it worth it or will I find that after the work and time and cost of the DVD burner it is more econimical to just buy a DVD?

You can usually compress video size down to 70% without any notice of loss. It's still good quality video.

Using dvd shrink, it usually takes 10-20 minutes to rip the dvd to hardrive (this includes decrypting css), then if you have an 8x burner, it should only take 7 minutes to burn a dvd with 8x media. I have 4x burner, but I usually burn at 2x because 4x media costs so much. Good quality 2x media costs a less than $1 in bulk.

I've been burning dvds, ps2 games, xbox games for over a year now and I'm sure my little investment has paid for itself many times over.

redrock is offline Member
    dvdshrink is a great program. I use it to encode or shrink, then use Nero the burn the DVD, comes out perfect every time. I've never had one that was bad quality. Also, for some more help, go to www.dvdrhelp.com RR

Got to get me a DVD burner, been using the one at work but thats a pain in the ass...

Can only make XVCD's at home... though I have to admit that XSVCD's are good enough for most of my home movies... I would like to be able to copy DVD's at home.

Red

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    I never down sample the video. I just remove macrovision, region codes, and uneeded audio tracks and I've gotten every movie I've copied to fit on 1 DVD. Full video resolution, DD or DTS audio track.

FrkyBgStok is offline Senior Member
    I have copied them using DVD X Copy software and the quality is the same (some glitches, rare). Some movies will fit on one disc without special features, but i'm not too lazy to get off my ass and change disc after an hour. Good luck bro.

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    great info!!1 i am about to purchase a dvd-rw as well

KeyMastur is offline VET
    anyone care to explain what the difference between all the DVD formats is ?? well, not between R & RW, but between + & - ???

from what I gathered + and - the differences
    + is for like vob and aob files (video and audio dvd files.)
    - is for raw data suchs as backing up photos and files from your computer HD. Correct me if I am wrong - I just read something and thats what I got from it.

Plextor 708? there 8x DVD+R drive - good deal? $225. Is that a good burner. I have a plextor 16x CD-R and 40x SCSI CD-Rom - the best I have ever had, no underruns, reads the most scaratched up disc I can find!

Actually DVD+RW and DVD-RW are the two most popular DVD burner format standards (there are others).

Imagine it more or less like Beta and VHS tapes when VCR's came out.

As it stands, the DVD-RW seems to be winning the "standards war" as far as popularity is concerned. Most new drives support both, but DVD+RW drives are slowly disappearing from the landscape.

Red

DVD-R disc are the most compatible. They will play in all computers and on pretty much all consumer DVD players. Thats not the case for DVD-RW.

Heres a chart.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

You're right Carlos... I meant DVD-R as far as the media is concerned and DVD-RW for the drive.

Red

FrkyBgStok is offline Senior Member
    but dvd+r are more compatible from what i hear.

Quote Originally Posted by FrkyBgStok
    but dvd+r are more compatible from what i hear.
    Not all comsumer DVD players will play DVD+R. So I stick to useing DVD-Rs.

slamd097 is offline Banned
    Nero is one of the best burning programs out there and is compatible with just about any operatin system.

Quote Originally Posted by slamd097
    Nero is one of the best burning programs out there and is compatible with just about any operatin system.
    ...and if you're on a mac. use Toast Titanium.

Here are the steps to copying a DVD movie in OS X.

1. Use DVDBackup to copy the DVD content from the DVD to your hard drive. DVDBackup strips out region codes and macrovision copy protection.
    http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18599

2. Use DVD2oneX to remove extra language tracks and other extras to fit the movie on 1 DVD.
    http://www.dvd2one.com/download.php

3. Use Toast Titanium to burn the movie from your HD to disc.

You're done.

Well, I did it!!!

Got me a DVD writer... good god why did I wait so long!?

Bought a 4x Pionneer A06 (does + and - R and RW discs) and this thing works like a charm!!! They were almost giving them away at the store so I just had to get one .

Already "backed up" 7 movies today using DVD-Shrink and burn them with BurnAtOnce. An entire DVD takes me 20-30 minutes to rip and decrypt, and then 12-14 minutes to burn.

Just a little update

Red

KeyMastur is offline VET
    well watch one and tell me how the quality is.

i'm thinking of getting TDK's 8x +/-

Looks great bro!!

Using DVD-Shrink I remove all the extras from the DVD so as to burn only the movie... keeps the compression low.

I honestly cannot see a difference on my TV... 3000 Miles To Graceland looked awesome.

Cool ****!

Red

Good Job, You can also use the beta version of dvd shrink to get all the menus at a custom compression. Pretty simple. I just backed up my copy of Pumping Iron. =)

KeyMastur is offline VET
    what about dvd x copy ? thinking about downloadin that off kazaa.

Dunno Key, DVD-Shrink makes a grest job of it... I looked into dvd-x-copy as it's a one step process, but reading their forums has led me to believe it's a pretty buggy soft with LOTS of patches and upgrades... (and you need a real regged version to get the upgrades).

DVD-Shrink and BuenAtOnce is a 2 step process, but it's so simple, even my dad could do it

Dizzle ... I am using version 3b of DVD-Shrink, works like a CHARM! I just dump the menus and useless language tracks as I do not want them.

I dunno about dishing out the dough for an 8x DVD burner though, most affordable media is 4x now. 8x blanks will cost an arm and a leg, just to save a few minutes on the burn... not worth it for me

Red

KeyMastur is offline VET
    let's talk about the movie scarface. it's superlong. did you split that up into 2 DVD's ?? i'm thinking that's what i'm gonna have to do.

when you split, do you use the Re Author and then change the properties of Start / Stop so that it's split in half ??

For Scarface I just removed all the extra audio and used dvd shrink to get the full movie (no menus). compression was a little high, but looks just fine on the big screen. Fits all on 1 disc.

Rod Farva is offline Associate Member
    Is there any downside to getting a seperate component DVD burner or should I really get one installed on the Hard Drive?

Are there any specific things to be aware of when picking out a burner or just grab any 4x burner that's on sale?

I have 4 dvd burners and they all pretty much work the same way. Any new dvd burner should work fine, but I would suggest getting a Pioneer A06.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzle
    For Scarface I just removed all the extra audio and used dvd shrink to get the full movie (no menus). compression was a little high, but looks just fine on the big screen. Fits all on 1 disc.
    ****, how much compression ?? like level 8 / 9 ??

lloyd_cannon is offline Associate Member
    I heard Xbox games need to be dvd+rw not dvd+r and have a mod chip installed to work is this correct?

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_cannon
    I heard Xbox games need to be dvd+rw not dvd+r and have a mod chip installed to work is this correct?
    mod chip, i believe so. as far as media type, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    ****, how much compression ?? like level 8 / 9 ??
    I'm not sure what level it was, i rented the disc a long time ago. i watched the burned copy and it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_cannon
    xbox will read all dvd+-r/rw.

i suggest getting the modchip and upgrading the hard drive. i currently have a 200gb hd in my xbox. all you have to do is rent the game, put in the disc, press two buttons, wait about 5 mintues and the game is copied to the hard drive. you can play it from there and you don't need the disc anymore. well worth the little investment for a modchip and hard drive.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    You guys do netflix and burn the dvd's and then send them back?

yep, you can get about 25 movies a month w/ netflix.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    sweet, this is a great thread. Prices have dropped enough where it makes sense even for backup purposes alone.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    ac3 or dts ?? which would you rather keep if you had to pick one ??

Key ... really depends on your home theatre capabilities I'd say keep the best if compression doesn't kill the image too much...

If you're unsure, make a trial rip and burn it onto a DVD-RW and watch it in your tv's DED player to fine tune the final DVD-R. It saves you from burning coasters.

Red

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a TDK burner and use DVD Decryptor to rip and Nero Recode 2.0 to re-author and burn. Works good. TDK DVD - R and - RW meida plays on my playstation 2 v7 (which I use as my DVD player). Just started this weekend and it took around 8 hours to figure it out. I tried DVD X COPY Express first and it just wouldn't work. I also tried DVD Decryptor/DVD Shrink and the burning part wouldn't work on my pc. Finally tried DVD Decryptor to rip and nero recode and bingo... it worked. There's a learning curve but it is possible. Get a DVD-RW and use that until you get it down so you don't keep killing disks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information