ColdSore is offline Banned

Going to the gym today for a back workout

I want to try something new today...heres a challange....

Post your hardest back routine ever, and ill try it and see if it compares to mine...

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Here's one I use alot........

Barbell Rows - 6 x 3
    Weighted Wide-grip Pullups - 4 x 4
    Dumbell Rows - 4 x 8-10
    Pulldowns to Chest - 4 x 8-10
    Close-grip Pulldowns - 3 x 15
    Machine Pullovers - 3 x 15-20

There ya go...........try that and see if it shocks ya some.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Holistic training is very brutal! Like this...

A: Compound Exercise (ie, Barbell or T-Bar Rows), 4-5 explosive reps.
    B: Rythmic Movement (ie, Seated Machine Rows) 12-15 controlled reps.
    C: Continous Tension Movement (Machine Front Pulldowns) 40 reps... yes - 40!

Go nonstop between fast-twitch and slow-twitch fiber recruitment (NO REST), like this: A,B,A,B,A,C,A,B,A,C,A,B,A,C,A... rest for about 5-6 mikes and then repeat for large muscle groups if you havent passed out... or thrown up on the weekend lifter next to you. Doing legs like this can make you very nautious...

It's good for size gains - raising limit strength is not really the ultimate goal, but rather completely fatigueing the muscle group for an intense stimulis for growth...
    Last edited by Warrior; 11-15-2003 at 11:49 AM.

BDTR is offline Retired
    Deads, 4 sets up to 615 for 3 reps

Weighted wide grip pull ups, up to a 70 lb dumbell at 270 lbs bodyweight 4 sets total

barbell rows - up to 405 for 4 sets

The next day i absolutely couldn't get out of bed for a couple hours because everything hurt so bad.

Testify is offline Senior Member
    Today is my back day too. Maybe I'll try one of these for a change . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior

Go nonstop between fast-twitch and slow-twitch fiber recruitment (NO REST), like this: A,B,A,B,A,C,A,B,A,C,A,B,A,C,A... rest for about 5-6 mikes and then repeat for large muscle groups if you havent passed out... or thrown up on the weekend lifter next to you. Doing legs like this can make you very nautious...

It's good for size gains - raising limit strength is not really the ultimate goal, but rather completely fatigueing the muscle group for an intense stimulis for growth...
    this is what i looking for...wow...im gonna feel this tommarow

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior

Warrior that's great bro..........I'm def gonna have to try that for my next back workout............that's 15 sets of 200-205 reps without stopping........then do it again after 5-6 mins. rest............sheez that's gonna be insane.

BDTR is offline Retired
    Ive never gained much from "shocking" routines in my life, almost all of my workouts are the same and i continually grow just by changing a couple exercises around from time to time. Meat and potatoes, low reps, low sets, few exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Ive never gained much from "shocking" routines in my life, almost all of my workouts are the same and i continually grow just by changing a couple exercises around from time to time. Meat and potatoes, low reps, low sets, few exercises.
    my workouts have been the "meat and tators" routine....i just needed something new for today b/c i never lift on saturday and i need something to motivate me....heres what i ussually do (change some exercises/order from week to week)

4 sets Bent over rows
    3 sets one arm d-bell rows
    3 sets seated rows (using a v-bar
    ...(10 sets of rows)....
    4 sets of pull dows (on a pull up bar,or weighted on a lat machine)
    3 sets of close grip supnated pull downs
    3 sets of wide grip rows
    ...10sets....

and sometimes ill through in 3-4 sets of heavy deads and skip a rowing exercise...or ill deads with legs

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by bornbad71
    Warrior that's great bro..........I'm def gonna have to try that for my next back workout............that's 15 sets of 200-205 reps without stopping........then do it again after 5-6 mins. rest............sheez that's gonna be insane.
    The whole program is explained in Hatfield's Book, Hardcore Bodybuilding, A Scientific Approach - he also explains the science behind muscular hypertrophy. Very good read for anyone remotely interested in the topic.

But yeah - its about 200 total reps of explosive (fast-twitch) and endurance (slow-twitch) training done in a very short time... the volume is huge. If anyone is familiarize with Power Factor Training - this would be a very high score!

It's kind of weird when you do it. You start out with A,B,A,B,A and then go to C which you would think the 40 reps after that would be near impossible - but there not... I can only explain it by the fact that you are allowing the fast-twitch fibers to rest while the slow-twitch start pulling the load. Then you do another A,B,A and then another C. Everytime you do a C and then back to an A - the A is easier again. It's almost like you are resting while doing the C - but your obviously not.

It's really an interesting concept in training - prioritizing muscle fibers if you will... get the book if this interest you... Hatfield Explains it very well. And lays out an integrated program that uses the Holistic approach every third trianing day for a bodypart (alternating different training intensities - basically using Holistic with GVT and POF). You can find it on Amazon and sometimes in the local Barnes and Noble or Border's book stores.

I felt this the most doing legs (almost threw up several times - a few times I had to run and get some gatorade in me at a nearby vending machine... I know... I should just be a man and throw up... but I didn't want to feel like shit after getting sick... and rather just recover without the puking ), delts, biceps, and back. Chest and Triceps, for me, fatigue too quickly... the other muscle groups seem to just eat it up. I also prefer to just keep going rather than resting and going through it a second time - for larger muscle groups.

BTW - this is not a beginner routine and can easily overtrain someone not used to the intensity since it can be very draining. I had a guy I didn't even know come up one time after finishing Delts this way (using Hammer Military Presses, Side Laterals, Upright Rows for the movements) and shake my hand and say."it's been a long time since I have seen someone training that hard!" Seriously. And countless other people have made simular comments - most people are not used to seeing anything other than the basic routine that 99 percent of the people in the gym adhere to... day in and day out...

I have done this before ever touching AAS and had great results... just keep the calories high and get quality rest. Add AAS and recovery is much easier...
    Last edited by Warrior; 11-16-2003 at 06:27 AM.

Thankx bro I'll have to pick that book up.....I like to mix things up so this will add nicely about once every 6-8 wks.

Thread Information