FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member

Killing techniques? Feeling a little uncomfortable while learning. Advice.

I know this is a strange sounding title. Let me sum up the situation. I've recently been studying a combination of military and martial arts killing moves to use on someone. My job could need these type things, theoretically. Sorry, can't disclose my occupation. Problem is I'm afraid I could get pissed off and accidently use one on somebody when just a simple punch or pressure point would do the job. Being on Sus hasn't helped either. I seem much more aggressive. Would appreciate opinions on whether it would be better to stop learning these type things period or go forward. I've studied Jeet Kune Do in the past and also have a Marine backround. I've never had a problem with self control before, but I'm just feeling a little uncomfortable learning some of these things. I apologize if this sounds stupid to some people but I'm just having difficulties coming to terms using something like this on somebody. Sounds strange coming from a former marine, but thats honestly how I feel. Maybe by not learning them I would be less likely to accidently use them.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Well Franko, sorry but I'm still pissed from my earlier thread (my gear getting robbed). But speaking as someone who's done lots of martial arts, competed at various levels, plus has a military back ground (18 yrs and counting) and has juiced for as long as I can remember I can tell you here and now. No matter what kind of confidence your new found MA skills have given you there's no subsitute for proper 'hands on' street fighting. Don't worry too much about your feelings at the moment, just view them as a new found self confidence and channel them into a positive thing.
    Best of luck.

BDTR is offline Retired
    Just control it as best you can, i know i can kill people in a fight if i lose control but I also know there is a prison cell waiting for me if i do so. Just try and think about what you're doing beforehand, self control can be hard... but it needs to be learned.

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the responses Bouncer and Bdtr. I honestly feel better after hearing what you both said. And Bouncer, I think this was perfect timing to ask this question with what those punks did to your car. I hope you catch em. Your right bdtr, I have to maintain self control. If not, learn or not, I'll be in a cell somewhere. For some reason it just bothers me occasionally, you know, all the violence. But I guess thats just life.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Yeah, what bdtr said, and more. I've stood 'toe to toe' with countless scumbags on doors over the year's, knowing full well that I could knock the fucker out before he seen me move but had to remind myself that I've a family and career to fuck away just so I can knockout some shitbag. Like I said, enjoy your new found confidence.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Well I could say something but I think these two guys already said it all. It is difficult to have these skills and be out and get confronted by some a-hole, you just have to maintain self-control, I believe you already have that control or you would not have made it thus far in your training. I know I am very machine like and carry no remorse for inflicting pain to another, but I also know that I have a family that needs me, so the two kind of balance each other out.

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Well said from everyone..

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    actually, I find that having the ability enables better control - a lion does not feel the need to fight with a dog, no matter how much it barks - there is nothing to prove to yourself or anyone else - and the greater range of possibilities you have to deal with the situation, the better you can handle it as it presents itself, even in the very rare case in which lethal force might be warranted - and in some jobs, it is necessary to do harm to people to protect others.

wiky is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    actually, I find that having the ability enables better control - a lion does not feel the need to fight with a dog, no matter how much it barks - there is nothing to prove to yourself or anyone else - and the greater range of possibilities you have to deal with the situation, the better you can handle it as it presents itself, even in the very rare case in which lethal force might be warranted - and in some jobs, it is necessary to do harm to people to protect others.
    nice posts, all much you can learn is always good as you learn how it affects to other ppl, i mean, everybody can lose control of himself any moment and feel violent, but if you have learn to knock out somebody by hitting his nose (f.e.), you must have learned too how to do it not breaking the nose-bone upside (extremely dangerous) so you can use one with a robber and other with a killer, i dont know if i can explain properly, but you must control at the same time your feelings and your posible reactions (i wish nobody must need the violence, but we do)

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Killing techniques? Feeling a little uncomfortable while learning.
    Learning this should be no different than learning proper use of a firearm. The thing with most bare hand "killing techniques" is they are simply a slight twist on techniques you already knw and use to restrain people. What style are you leaning? Please say you aren't doing any Dim Mak crap or some other pressure point killing techniques. They are garbage. The odds of you killing someone with a double palm heel to the kidneys or some other George Dillman'esque technique are 1 in 10^100000.

slamd097 is offline Banned
    just think about this. You can seriously hurt some one very quickly. And put them in a position where they could no longer walk or even use their appendages. The sam thing, the guy might have a family that counts on him daily for food and everything else.

BUT, sometimes there are people that just don't get it and that is the only resort.

" It is bad to fight, but even worse to lose the fight"

Bouncer you should reconize that one...

BDTR is offline Retired
    That reminds me when i first got into martial arts at 9 years old, i wanted to learn the magic "death touch" haha.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Learning this should be no different than learning proper use of a firearm. The thing with most bare hand "killing techniques" is they are simply a slight twist on techniques you already knw and use to restrain people. What style are you leaning? Please say you aren't doing any Dim Mak crap or some other pressure point killing techniques. They are garbage. The odds of you killing someone with a double palm heel to the kidneys or some other George Dillman'esque technique are 1 in 10^100000.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    That reminds me when i first got into martial arts at 9 years old, i wanted to learn the magic "death touch" haha.
    I know man....being that age you are depressed for a bit but at least you get a good laugh later on when you learn that there are actually instructors suckering newbies into believing there is such a thing.

realityarts is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANK WHITE
    Sorry, can't disclose my occupation.
    You're not one of those Wal-Mart security guards are you? J/K

If you are learning how to kill without learning how to control yourself, you are not learning correctly.

Believe me, you can do something that will put you in a cage with a ass-lover for a long time.

What specifically are you studying?

Good luck. Semper Fi.

RA

Thread Information