Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    redrock is offline Member

Arrow What's a good first handgun???

I'm looking to get a handgun for christmas. I was thinking a 1911 .45. But then I thought that it might be too much gun. Any suggestions? I'm just looking for a good all around handgun. Something that I would possibly get a CCW license for in the future. Thanks, RR

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    desert eagle .50.....or a .45....or if your on the smaller side you can get a snub nose .38

<<chuckle>>

Don't know if I have the scratch for a Desert Eagle. I don't think i'm too small. I'm 6'2", 230lbs. I'm pretty sure I want a semi-auto. No revolvers. What do police usually carry? RR

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    Kember is an awesome gun but quite expensive they have a great selection of 1911 styled guns.......I own several Glocks and love all of them.......I would suggest a glock for a first weapon.

I assume the 1911 styled gun you were talking about is a Kember?

mass junkie is offline banned
    9mm luger

police usually carry Glock and Smiths.......but the LAPD SWAT carries the Kember Tactical(an awesome gun)

Quote Originally Posted by PurePower

I assume the 1911 styled gun you were talking about is a Kember?
    Actually the Springfield Armory 1911 caught my eye. What calibur are your glocks?
    Are they only 9mm? Thanks for the help. RR

Well, handguns are illegal here, but if I were to get one, It would probably be a 10mm Glock-29.

Nice toy

Red

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    i'd say any semi auto .45...desert eagles are quite expensive, i'm not sure if the replicas are worth a shit...

Thease are the hand guns i own any one of them would make a good first gun some are quite expensive though =-)

Kimber Eclipse Pro II, Gold Combat RL II
    Glock 17, 19, 23, 30, 32
    SIG P220ST, P225
    HK P7M8, P7M13
    Smith & Wesson 945

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    What do you need a hand gun for? You Americans...

to kill badguys =-)

BDTR is offline Retired
    Glock .40

Lightweight, packs power, easy to control.

SIG P229 also a great .40cal

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    hehe what I find disturbing is that the biggest MOFO's on the board have GUNS!!!

Da Bull is offline Banned
    38 revolver,don't jam

BDTR is offline Retired
    15 and counting....

Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    hehe what I find disturbing is that the biggest MOFO's on the board have GUNS!!!

BDTR is offline Retired
    Fired COUNTLESS rounds through my glock... never a single jam providing its kept in good shape and cleaned frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull
    38 revolver,don't jam

... yup 15 is disturbing

BDTR is offline Retired
    I also LOVE my usp .45 HK compact. It's an incredible gun.

Quote Originally Posted by PurePower
    to kill badguys =-)
    I would much prefer hurting bad guys a lot than killing them...

Thats why an intruder in my house will come face to face with Mister Mossberg 12ga loaded up with #9 birdshot. I figure I shoot an intruder with #9 the shot size is so small and there is so much of it that it will literally skin him alive and the doctors will be pickin' lead out of him for a few years

I'm such a humanitarian....

Red

hehe red thats why these big guys got guns.. shit if there still breathin after a shot or two... they can easily finish em off with a stomp or two... but bdtr's down a shoe... still stuck in the floor!!

animal-inside is offline Senior Member
    Whats with ppl here and owning guns that r not for hunting??? yes i am canadian..... I am not against guns at all.. I plan on owning one for procteiion someday.... but 15? haha..... theres gto to be more then a few reasons for owning that many guns.. anyone wanna tell em why they love guns so much?

my favorite is my Smith & Wesson 945.........its insane how accurate i am with it

Quote Originally Posted by animal-inside
    Whats with ppl here and owning guns that r not for hunting??? yes i am canadian..... I am not against guns at all.. I plan on owning one for procteiion someday.... but 15? haha..... theres gto to be more then a few reasons for owning that many guns.. anyone wanna tell em why they love guns so much?

o lord here we go again

BDTR is offline Retired
    I wont tip toe around the issue... my guns aren't for hunting or sport, they're meant for killing humans. The reason i have 15 guns is when someone breaks in my house, id like to have a variety on how i can fatally wound them. Sometimes i might feel like pumping rounds from my FAL in them, other days, maybe my SPAS-12, another day i might want to let him live and shoot 7 rounds from my .22 into his crotch. You never know how you're gonna feel that day.

i just enjoy collecting weapons.......and i have to use one with my profession......and i have the right to protect myself

bdtr thats fuckin good!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    I wont tip toe around the issue... my guns aren't for hunting or sport, they're meant for killing humans. The reason i have 15 guns is when someone breaks in my house, id like to have a variety on how i can fatally wound them. Sometimes i might feel like pumping rounds from my FAL in them, other days, maybe my SPAS-12, another day i might want to let him live and shoot 7 rounds from my .22 into his crotch. You never know how you're gonna feel that day.

you hit the nail on the head bro

I'll give you a simple answer...

"Because they can!"

You do realize by the way that though we may not own handguns here in Canada * , Canadians own MORE guns per-capita than Americans? I find it ironic considering owning guns here is not even a right, it's a privilege.

*=(well we can own handguns but the acquisition and ownership rules are so insanely strict and complicated that we might as well say we can't own them)

Red

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    hard to beat a 38 snub nose with the right shells in it - very simple to use and extreemly accurate if you are close - and lets face it, most gunfights would be - trick is they shoot 500 times and dont hit much usually - now bad thing about a revolver vs glock is you have 6 and he has 18 but then again, it only takes one and then all the rest dont really matter

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    A 1911 style .45acp or Browning Hi-Power are the perfect first handgun models. If you can afford it...buy a Kimber, if not a Para or Auto Ordnance for the 1911. These tried and true models retain their value, and are sought after by shops, collectors and afficinados everywhere. Classic piece.
    Despite the various models avail to me at work (M-11 Sig, every Glock, Beretta 92/96 etc etc...I still tote a 1911..It is a Wilson Combat Elite, but still a 1911!
    Last edited by BamaSlamma; 11-21-2003 at 01:05 AM.

popa is offline Senior Member
    just throw rocks

someday is offline Member
    dammit i just typed like 4 pages of info on a bunch of stuff...in short dont go cheap especially if your concerned about CCW. I have and highly reccomend a glock .40, .45, or 10mm. Many people will say a 9mm but it often takes several hits to stop someone with this caliber. I've heard no complaints from glock owners and highly endorse thier weopon because of accuracy, reliability, and quality of product. Also, please dont buy a SnW semi-auto...thier revolvers are top notch but the semi's jam and misfire frequently also the trigger pull feels like its damn near 20lbs...please dont buy one.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Go Wilson..best on the market..you will pay top $$ for top quality, but satisfaction is unparalelled!

hoss827 is offline Banned
    .50 Desert Eagle
    .45 pistol
    .357 Magnum (if you want power )
    Hmm...my personal favorite, a Glock. It's light, easy to fire, made mainly of plastic.

slamd097 is offline Banned
    Im with Bdtr, a .40 would be great, I own a ruger .45 and love it. The kick isn't as bad as my 10mm but it definately will do some damage. Red has the idea about the 10mm but it is being fazed out. The .40 offers the power of a ten with out the over penetration. so you don't have to worry about killing an innocent bystander and being sued. Kinda my area..i love guns.

cb25 is offline Banned
    I've been thinking about the same thing redrock...my stepdad was really into guns and had some really nice ones, but wasn't alive long enough to really teach me about them...but this thread is interesting to me...'cause i've been wondering the same thing

not to totally hijack, but how do you go about taking classes etc on gun handling (i've never been taught)??

Ryanhallmark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Well, handguns are illegal here, but if I were to get one, It would probably be a 10mm Glock-29.

Nice toy

Red
    Hard to find ammo at a good price for that gun..go with the 9mm.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I would really like to own a glock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information