View Poll Results: should marijuana be legalized?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, unrestriced use and possesion

18 17.48%
  • yes, but only certain amounts

16 15.53%
  • yes, but same rules apply as drinking (driving, age)

53 51.46%
  • no

16 15.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: legalize it???

skinnyhb is offline Member

legalize it???

well, after hearing about the situation in nevada about the legalization of marijuana, im starting to notice more people admitting their use, or acceptance of the use of marijuana. how do you guys feel? personally, i dont have too much of a problem with it, i use it from time to time, but not usually more than once a month or so.

manijak is offline Associate Member
    he heheheheh hehehe heheh HELLLLLL YEAHHHHHHHH

Totenkopf is offline Associate Member
    One question
    if you legalize Pot where will it end ??

I personally dont give a shit until someone high gets in a car and kills someone i know.
    Yes same with drinking.
    The only illgal drug ive taken is Steriods :}
    Im no preacher nor a saint by anymeans.
    just trying to stir up some thoughts.

samoth is offline Member
    No, pot is a drug, it has negative effects, causes inebriation, I really don't see why people need drugs to cope with life. Contrary to popular belief that there is a conspiracy against common people, or the belief that the government is being 'mean', there is a reason pot is illegal. Like we need groups of high school kids smoking pot instead of cigarettes. And yes, I'm sure people can rationalize using pot. People can rationalize snorting crack, too. Bottom line is, we are better without it.

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    i agree, legalizing pot will only lead to increased problems in society. more people will smoke it more people will become addicted to the high and will be more opt to try harsher drugs. POT is a gateway drug to alot of people( NOT EVERYONE BUT MOST).

Totenkopf is offline Associate Member
    Good points both of you
    I agree

Shades of Jay is offline New Member
    POT may well be a gateway drug but not to the same extent that alcohol is!

What percentage is Violent crime,murder,rape etc... can be linked with the use of alcohol!?! - a pretty high percentage i think you'll find. so what percentage of those same crimes can be linked with the use of cannabis!?! Surely a fractional amount when compared with those linked to alcohol.

Yet still society finds alcohol to be the more socialy acceptable drug

samoth is offline Member
    I agree wholy on the evils of alcohol, however, it is far to socially accepted, probition, blah blah, we all know the deal. I still hold to the fact that pot makes one mentally... umm... inferior, compared to the temporary intoxication of alcohol. Personally, I believe pot to be the greater of the two evils, though alcohol leads towards higher physical harm, both to the drinker, as well as to others.
    Illegalizing alcohol isn't really plausible. Keeping pot illegal is. But hey, just because something is illegal, doesn't mean people don't have easy access to it.

samoth i actually click on your source link you ass, i had to reboot my comp....lol

samoth is offline Member
    samoth i actually click on your source link you ass, i had to reboot my comp....lol

Can't say that there wasn't a warning...

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    Ok, well ponder this...how many potheads go out, get high as shit, and then in a violent rage come home and beat the shit out of their wife and kids???

How many alcoholics do??? and alcohol is legal

and for those of you who belive legalized pot would ruin society as we know it obviously don't know any hardcore alcoholics...JMO
    Last edited by Big Rush; 11-06-2002 at 12:27 AM.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Totenkopf
    One question
    if you legalize Pot where will it end ??

I personally dont give a shit until someone high gets in a car and kills someone i know.
    Yes same with drinking.
    The only illgal drug ive taken is Steriods :}
    Im no preacher nor a saint by anymeans.
    just trying to stir up some thoughts.
    i for one have never heard of any Pot related car accidents. and i think that it's pretty fucking obvious that pot is not that dangerous when compared to coke, heroin or any of the other man made drugs. Just my opinion

Peace

seniormateus is offline Associate Member
    Manijak what up! Hey guys it legalized in my house already!

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Legalizing Mary Jane use would turn up a stir in the underground world of illegal drugs. Most profits are made form these "customers." This money would be taken from pushers and taxed by the state.

An interesting concern is - how would the black market react? Would Cocaine and other substance abuse elevate?

Use of Marijuana in the last few years has become very public and many talk about it here like it is already legal...

Being from Nevada... the voting has started and I hear many that did vote YES for infamous question number 9. Many people that normally do not vote - did this time! And this reactions can cause unpredictable results. Kind of like how Jesse "The Mind" Ventura was elected Governor in Minnesota - many people that normally don't vote, got up and said "SURE - why not?" The Democratic system is a very powerful system for the people.

m16a2 is offline Senior Member
    I think legalizing it would make it a major industry for corporate america. That means, obviously, they will push it 100% with the media, and all stores. As much as I think drugs in general should be legal, I don't think society can handle that kind of responsibility. Legalized weed means that every convenience store, gas station, super market, and general store in the nation will be having it on their front display at checkout. This just means that many more people will start smoking weed since its so easily accessible, and by the FDA approving it, its sending the message that its safe and 'ok to do'. That seems like a horrible idea to me. Should possesion be illegal, NO, not in my opinion. But should it be a marketable drug, definitely NOT.

I bet this will reguvenate some tobacco companies... Joe Camel Blunt Reds - Wide Pack

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    A pack of Camel blunt im there already

its the same argument, that pot users always give, have you evere heard of someone getting violent while high on pot. and howeften do you see alchoholics get violent. well the answer is not very often and often. the thing is you cant compare the two in that way, it seems like a desperate argument for potheads. how many of you drive a car afer haveing a few drinks, but arnt drunk but feel just a little bit? now how many of you drive a car while high? you see this shit is stupid, it all depends on the person driving the car and how much they can handal. i know my self that if people are high they have no buisness driving on the roads. its fucks with perception. i know when i was 18 and smoked a joint one day and decided to drive home, i stopped more then 200 feet away from the red lights because i thought i was already their.

hers the kicker, you never here abou people getting pulled over in a car while driving because they are high because once its in your system theirs nothing they can do at all. they cant do road size THC testing on you. but yes u can be charged, if they sufficeint reason to believe you are impared, you could be charged. but it doesnt happen its to hard to prove with pot.

their is just no serious argument for legalizing marijuanna, i think that it should be left for medical purposes only. remember 1 thing leads to another guys and gals. just think of your first cycle, i bet it lead to many others. think of it that way.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I hate pot, however i feel that it´s up to the person doing it if they want to do drugs or steroids etc. Im not hating on anyone.

Rugby13 is offline Member
    Originally posted by samoth
    I agree wholy on the evils of alcohol, however, it is far to socially accepted, probition, blah blah, we all know the deal. I still hold to the fact that pot makes one mentally... umm... inferior, compared to the temporary intoxication of alcohol. Personally, I believe pot to be the greater of the two evils, though alcohol leads towards higher physical harm, both to the drinker, as well as to others.
    Illegalizing alcohol isn't really plausible. Keeping pot illegal is. But hey, just because something is illegal, doesn't mean people don't have easy access to it.
    Hey I don't necesarily agree with legalizing pot but the argument that pot is the great of the two evils makes no sense because you said alcohol inflicts worse harm on the individual and other so how is this so? Sure alcohol is more socially acceptable but does that make it better than pot? just my 10c bros

samoth is offline Member
    I just wanted to add in that it's nice to see a mature and rational argument/discussion about this subject. That's why I love this board.

I think it's interesting that almost everyone compares pot to alcohol and cigarretes. But what if we were to look at pot as a "new" unnamed drug that just recently came out. Given the effects of this "new" drug, would there be any reason for it to be made legal? I think if we look at this from a different angle, it seems rational to not legalize it, because despite pot being considered "safer" than alcohol/cigarretes and "more dangerous" than coke/amphetamines, if we look at this from a standalone point, there is no question as to legalization.
    Next...?

I agree with you on the mature nature of the board...it's awesome. but can't the same be said about alcohol if alcohol just came out? I'm strictly looking at teh side affects and what the two lead people to do.

samoth is offline Member
    Hey I don't necesarily agree with legalizing pot but the argument that pot is the great of the two evils makes no sense because you said alcohol inflicts worse harm on the individual and other so how is this so? Sure alcohol is more socially acceptable but does that make it better than pot? just my 10c bros
    I see where you're coming from... that's why I said "Personally, I believe pot to be the greater of the two evils..." I know this is very debatable, but my opinion is that the negative cognitive effects of pot are worse then the negative physical effects of alcohol. But I can see both sides of this being valid.
    I suppose you would look at this differently if you were say, a physicist, compared to say, a pro bodybuilder. Which do you need more, the cognitive or the physical? Or, worded more appropriately, which will harm your career more, the cognitive negative effects, or the physical?
    This is the argument from which I take my side in the issue, though its validity depends on the life/occupation/career goals of each individual person.

samoth is offline Member
    I agree with you on the mature nature of the board...it's awesome. but can't the same be said about alcohol if alcohol just came out? I'm strictly looking at teh side affects and what the two lead people to do.
    I agree completely.

tatty is offline Member
    The argument about the mental effects of marijuana was actually tested and found to be false, in terms of IQ. I forgot where or when I read the source, but I believe it was in our local paper (Vancouver Sun) and not some tabloid. It was a controlled group of individuals who smoked pot and stopped abruptly and still managed the same or higher IQ level as those who were of equal age, background etc...

However, I apologize for my lack of source and I will try and find it.

Back to the topic at hand, marijuana is legal for medicinal use here in British Columbia and many people actually benefit from it whether it be arthritis or angina. Should it be legal and fall under all applicable rules as alcohol? ....undecided.

Question 9 did not pass in Nevada and Marijuana use laws remain the same.

samoth is offline Member
    Tatty, Marijuana has been proven to impair memory. IQ is one I don't know about either.

Peace

Originally posted by samoth

I suppose you would look at this differently if you were say, a physicist, compared to say, a pro bodybuilder. Which do you need more, the cognitive or the physical? Or, worded more appropriately, which will harm your career more, the cognitive negative effects, or the physical?
    This is the argument from which I take my side in the issue, though its validity depends on the life/occupation/career goals of each individual person.
    I agree....personally I think ban alcohol and keep weed banned. Everything that's bad in some way should be banned

skinnyhb is offline Member
    agree....personally I think ban alcohol and keep weed banned. Everything that's bad in some way should be banned
    haha, i sure hope you are kidding...

Personally I think if people could be more responsible about their use most restrictions can be safely lifted - however we have a society of 15 year old steroid abusers, poor examples of recreational drug misuse and physcosis, and inability to ration responsibly and correctly.

I mean fuck... even Heroin use could be legalized - does that mean you should USE IT - HELL NO! It has no real benefits and is extremely addictive and damaging to your body.

It is the bottom percentage of the population that keeps us all within Uncle Sam's reach.

Look at steroid use . It can be safely used as an effective medication to rebuild a system damaged by corticosteroid use and post convalecent (deca in humans - Eq in Horses... and humans ) as well as athletic enhancement in general. However there are those that are going to fuck themselves up with misuse/overuse/uneducated use with always ends up effecting others in some way or another... family, friends and complete strangers.

If people could be more responsible, question 9 would have passed in Nevada and their would be less laws in general - however not everyone in this world is responsible.
    Last edited by Warrior; 11-07-2002 at 01:39 AM.

sicilian40 is offline Banned
    no matter how hard the government tries, it cant push morality, prohibition failed, marijuana outlaw laws are failing, and will continue to due simply to the fact my friends, the goverment cant tell you what your morals are, and contrary to popular belief they dont always know best, most of the time they dont know anything at all. Has anyone ever watched C-Span 2 and seen the US senate is session? Its a bunch of wasted time and half the time there is no one there and its a quorum call...democracy...go figure...lol

Deadend is offline Associate Member
    Ok guys, this has obviously turned into a pissing contest. Anyway one this sprung to my mind about this thread, it has probably already been mentioned in one way shape or form, considering that I skipped the last twenty posts, but I'll say it any way.

One of my favorite members of this board used to have a signature that read "you never here about a guy robbing a liquor store to get a quick fix of steroids ". To me this statement can be used with weed as well.

Here's my .02, don't legalize the shit, all of ya'll are right, that action can only bring bad things.....BUT...... stop spending so much fucking money on trying to stop it from entering the country and start spending that money on something else.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Personally, I'm gonna say NO. I think it is bad enough that alcohol is so easily accessable by young teens and such, as well as cigarrets, but marijuana is even worse, and just adding to the big mess! Personally I wish cigarrets would be taken off the market, but we all know how big it is, and the companies that run this shit. I don't drink alcohol or smoke cigs, but I have nothing against those people who do. As long as they do it responsibly. However, if marijuana became legalized, it would really ruined a lot of lives, including many youths. And don't even try to say "well what if it's monitored, and there are laws like drinking" well we can all see how many drinking and driving arrests are made, and how many accidents there always are!

Worse of all, there are already tons of reckless teens around, in their supped up cars, driving 100km in a 60km street (I admit i do it sometimes too), but they do it all the time, and they like racing in the streets, etc... Now picture half of those teens doing the same thing with a shitload of pot in their system! This is just as bad as drinking and driving. Last year there were three major accidents in my city!!! All caused by STUPID drag races on the streets! In one case, about 4 young men lost their lives, 1 of which was not even in these cars, but on the opposing street lane. In another incident, a young teen drag raced through a red light to catch up to the other guy, and hit a 4x4 jeep, and killed a pregnant lady.

Overall, it would be a big big mistake (i think). I don't believe our society is able to handle such a chain, and it would most likely cause a lot of problems.

mammoth is offline Member
    Originally posted by Deadend

One of my favorite members of this board used to have a signature that read "you never here about a guy robbing a liquor store to get a quick fix of steroids". To me this statement can be used with weed as well.
    Actually I have known several people who have stolen stuff to buy weed.

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    I say legalize it....im tolazy to write anything else right now, maybe later tonight

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Well I am an alcholic that would love to see the day alcohol and ciggerettes(spelling) are banned. As for weed, hell no! That is one thing that does not ever need to be made legal. What good comes from any rec drugs, alcohol, tobaco(spelling)? Nothing besides lung, liver, or brain damage. SO why in the hell should any of it be legal? Now I say legalize steroids dammit!!! I miss the 80's.

Originally posted by hercules88
    i say fuck ya. it is the individuals desision to take illegal substances. terinox your wrong. pot wont ruin their lives. they will make the ultimate choice to try it or not. and it will be their choice that they made that ruined their life. not the drug. week minded people blame shit on drugs because then they can feel better because its not their fault. thats one of the major things that is wrong with the US we all love to pass the blame. and not too many people take responsability for their actions. i smoke alot of weed and i have no problem going to class making to the gym 6 days a week and do all my homework/studying for college. its all up to the individual if they want to be man and take responsibility for their actions or if they want to be a piece of shit and blame their problems on drugs when they made the choice to take them. remember no one is putting guns to kids heads and saying smoke this. they make the choice.

besides it will never be legalized due to the alcohol loby being so powerfull. pot would be ciggs and beers competitor and every time a bill comes on to the floor to legalize, these two lobbies will do everthing in their power to make sure there is no competition for their product. come on if u had the option of buying a pac of ciggs or a pack of joints, thats an easy one the Weeeed.
    What you just said is a perfect example! See you say you smoke weed, and you STILL go to college, all your classes, do your homework, etc. Well then my hats off to you bro. You do it all responsibly. Just like OVER HALF the people on this board who are currently on STEROIDS , they are also ILLEGAL but we do it responsibly.

Steroids IS THE BEST example!!! Look at all of us, we do steroids, it's illegal, but we can still get our hands on it right?! Now for some 14 year old kid, if steroids were legalized, it would be a lot easier for them to get their hands on and start using it at an early age, but since it's illegal, they would have a LOOOOT of trouble getting their hands on some legit juice.

Same with weed, you say you smoke a lot? Well apparently you can still get your hands on it, and you do it responsibly. But, if just about anyone could get their hands on it, it would ruin the lives (i personally think so) of many young 13/14 year olds growing up. Just look at how many young teens smoke cigs outside of schools. Now start adding weed to that list, and some alcohol, maybe even a couple of A-bomb pills, and you have about 10 MILLION dead teens on your hand.

This is all just my opinion, my 2 cents, no disrespect or flame at anyone or anything like that, YOU all know me

Got Gear? is offline Member
    I think it should be legalized with the same rules as alcohol.

For me, it mostly comes down to my personal rights/freedoms. If I'm not hurting anyone else, why can't I own and smoke pot?

I mean, there's no need for mountain climbing. And people put themselves at risk when they do it.. so should mountain climbing also be illegal? Some people like adrenalyn highs, some like chemical.

Originally posted by Got Gear?

I mean, there's no need for mountain climbing. And people put themselves at risk when they do it.. so should mountain climbing also be illegal? Some people like adrenalyn highs, some like chemical.

Damn, I dunno how to respond to that, it is kind of a good point. BUT, also...DAMMIT...I will get back to you on this one

You know what, let me put it this way. If weed IS legalized, and steroids are not, then we are living in ONE FUCKED UP WORLD! It makes no sense why one should and the other not. Enough weed taken can seriously harm your body and even kill you correct?

So why then shouldn't steroids be legalized, as long as you are being monitored by a doctor, and have to pay a high price for it?!

Bottom line, PERSONALLY, I think, they should BOTH be illegal, as they are now (we can still get our hands on it). However, if weed IS legallized, then SO should steroids!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information