Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member

Working out the shin muscles

I've come to the conclusion that someone needs to think up a way for us to work out the shin muscles. Doing a lot of shin work could add a lot of needed mass to the lower leg. I've tried some things, like tying a weight to my foot and doing raises. Does anyone do this? What about the pros? why not, if you're working every other muscle in your body, work this one?

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    I do "shin raises" OFTEN!! it give the illusion of a wider calf...

stand on the end of a platform with your tiptoes hanging off.. and just raise with your heals.. your body weight should be enough.. i Usually do 20 reps.. just start leaning back when you get BURNING and cant raise anymore...

BDTR is offline Retired
    I do the same as big ol

**** if you can muster enough courage in the gym... have a guy sit on your shoulders....

just make sure hes behind the neck and not in front like mass practices!!

I don't really see how this works the shin.. it's basically just raising your foot up, right? so it's not so much body weight as the weight of your foot, correct?

its the center line of gravity (LOL maybe??) but when your leaning over your toes.. it adds weight towards the front of your foot and lifting... **** your sitting down... lift your toes towards your shin... see the stretch??

Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    its the center line of gravity (LOL maybe??) but when your leaning over your toes.. it adds weight towards the front of your foot and lifting... **** your sitting down... lift your toes towards your shin... see the stretch??
    Yeah, i see it, but that's what i'm talking about.. Lifting your foot up to your shin.. the only weight you're really moving is the weigh of your foot plus the tension in your calf. I guess more calf tension would make it harder.. and more weight on you would add more tension.. but i'm talking about maybe actually lifting some weight with the foot.

but if your leaning forward over your vertical gravity line (LOL just made that one up!!) your adding weight to the front of your foot.

Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    but if your leaning forward over your vertical gravity line (LOL just made that one up!!) your adding weight to the front of your foot.
    I'm gonna go **** around for this for a while. I was thinking maybe i'd put a 2x4 under my heels, and lean a plate or two on my feet and raise them. We'll see how this goes.

I can picture you in the gym right now and people tapping their partners shoulders pointing at you..

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I work my shin muscles a few times a week..I have a pretty well developed shin from years of abuse playing soccer and I have done this simple routine since junior highschool..I sit on the end of a bench, grab a heavy dumbell, stick my foot under the bar keeping it just above your toe joint, and then do as many reps as I can stand 3 sets each foot..It takes a little practice but it is very effective when you get it down..It helps to really concentrate on that particular muscle as well..Try it and see if you like it!!

Doc M

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc M
    I work my shin muscles a few times a week..I have a pretty well developed shin from years of abuse playing soccer and I have done this simple routine since junior highschool..I sit on the end of a bench, grab a heavy dumbell, stick my foot under the bar keeping it just above your toe joint, and then do as many reps as I can stand 3 sets each foot..It takes a little practice but it is very effective when you get it down..It helps to really concentrate on that particular muscle as well..Try it and see if you like it!!

Doc M
    Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull
    Interesting
    O ****... Bulls gonna get 24 inch CALVES!!!

yes.. plates leaning on the shins is a no. awkward, and i think i pulled them both. However, i will try doc's method! it sounds good. I want deisel shins. I want to be pointed at when at the gym as "that guy with the shin implants"

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Try it Chris..It really works the muscle..It's just like doing curls except you are lifting the weight up with the tibialis anterior and the extensor digitorum longus..Keep you r heel flat on the ground and raise your toes as far up as you can go while keeping the heel on the ground..

Doc M

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    I do them sometimes on a leg curl machine. Just sit upright on a lying hammy machine, legs tucked under the pad and raise your toes up as far as you can towards your knee. I guess its similiar to what Doc suggested. I'd say between those and walking on an incline for 5-10 minutes post-workout you can develop some pretty strong shins.

ColdSore is offline Banned
    we have a weighted shin rack in my gym...get your gym to order one

shootdeep is offline Member
    i play hockey and my shin muscles are huge, so i recommend skating and skating hard.

Thread Information