bex
    bex is offline Banned

Help With Decision.......

HI bros i have got a dilemma i have got a grayhound dog thats got bad legs and a ulcer in one eye..It goes to the vets every week to have its eye stitched up to try and heal it (BUT DOES NO SEEM TO HELP IT)She is 14 years old so do i keep trying, or have her put down ?(SHE IS VERY DOWN)

She has had a very bad start in life i rescued 9 years ago.
    When we found her she was tied to a lamp post with her back legs broke....

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    God thats sad, it just ruined my day. I have a dog and cat and cannot even think about putting them down. But if the dog is suffereing, I don't think there is any use trying to ride it out. Put yourself in that situation, i'd wanna be put to sleep

bravo11p is offline Associate Member

Unhappy

Bro, I wouldn't know what to do. My dog is like my third child. I don't know if I could put her down. I guess if the vet thought it was the best thing for her and she was suffering then I probably would though I would be heartbroken. What does your vet suggest? I feel for you on this one bro.

Mallet is offline Anabolic Member
    I feel for you bro! I'm a dog lover myself.

This is always the toughest decision, but to keep the dog alive is sometimes being selfish, we want the dog to live as long as possible, but living and suffering are two very different things.
    14 years is a long time for a dog, and has probably had a good last 9 years.
    If the dog is truly suffering , then you have to do the right thing for the dog.
    My friend gives his dog the glucosamine for his back legs and it seems to be helping, I don't know about the eye? but I wouldn't put a dog down just because it has one bad eye! It can live with one eye quite comfortably.but if the arthritis gets bad in the legs
    then the dog will be suffering.
    I had to put my last dog down at the age of 4, she was epyleptic
    and the medication got her so relaxed she would pee on the carpet without even knowing it, that wasn't quality of life, and that's what counts, niot quantity!JMO bro! I know it's tough.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    She has had a great life with us...And we spoke to the vet about it and he is thinking on the same lines..
    We know at the end of the day we will do the best for her....BUT ITS HARD......

I forgot to say she has a cataract in the other eye..So she is blind at the momment...

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator

Sad

I had akitias for a few years, breed and showed them, but also loved them very much, I have had to put down a few dogs over the years, it is VERY VERY hard, but in a case like yours is the best for everyone, your dogs quailty of life is not good, so it's time, it will be hard, and you will feel like you lost a member of your family, but in the end it is what is best for the dog.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    That dog is 98 years old .... I hope this helps .... But If you were 98 and just had those problems , you may thank god your alive ...

good luck bro ... rough one when life is envolved ...

Ask yourself what you would want done with you when a decision needed to be made ...

Thread Information