Big Rush is offline The Juice Man

Best tires for 4x4 in very icy/snowy conditions?

i have a jeep grand cherokee 1999. i just moved to a mountainous/icy/snowy area and need new tires. i have 16' rims (big ballin). can anyone recommend some good tires that would handle well in these conditions and still look good? oh ya, it is not jacked up or anything, straight factory baby!

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    you can fit the largest 31's by whatever the width...fit right on the stock rim...is it a V8 or a 6.... anyways, when you go to buy tires, go to the kid working the counter that looks like he knows whats going on... alot of those guys are bozos, but some of them actually know what the hell is going on...

go to a 4x4 shop...don't go to costcos...bozos are lurking at costcos
    Last edited by monster.; 12-04-2003 at 09:47 AM.

By the way you're asking for 2 very different things...

Ice tires and snow tires are 2 different beasts... tires that are good in both are a tradeoff at best.

For mostly icy (or packed snow ice) conditions you want a tire with LOTS of surface area and a "slit" thread pattern (Like the Michelin Arctic Alpin"). This is usually a VERY soft rubber so as to stay sticky in deep cold.

On the other hand, for mostly deep snow conditions, you are looking more at a "mud and snow" kind of tire. This is the typical 4x4 deep grooved tire with an aggressive thread pattern most people know about.

There are a few tires that are a bit of both, but like "4 season" tires they are a tradeoff. They are ok in both conditions, but excell in neither.

I had both kinds on my old Bronco 4x4, and the ice tires were useless in deep snow, and the knobbies M+S were downright dangerous on icy roads. Since we get mostly icy roads here (plows clear deep snow fast here) I prefered using the ice tires (which on a 4x4 gives you unreal traction!!!)

Red

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    i agree, with red ketchup... 4x4's are not my cup of tea, i am however a race car help desk... so next summer when you buy that new vette or that old mustang fire a few at me...

sorry thought i could help...thanks red ketchup

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    BR,
    I have NO idea since my experience on these surfaces is minimal...
    I just want to say "What's up you 'ol tick turd?!" been a while,,, hope all is well in your world.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I just bought a set for my 4runner. Check out bridgstone blizzak winter dueler DM-Z2. They perform very well in deep snow and are very close to performing as well as studded tires on ice. Read the reviews at the bottom of the page. Hit the read all reviews link.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r+Dueler+DM-Z2

If you want a trade off between a tire that is good all terrain and also good in snow then there is the BFgoodrich AT KO tires. They have the winter tire symbol on them and they are excellent off road. They come standard on all new H2's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rrain+T%2FA+KO

Here are some more links on winter tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/blizzfaqs.html

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/weknownow.html

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/faqs.html

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ripped4fsu
    BR,
    I have NO idea since my experience on these surfaces is minimal...
    I just want to say "What's up you 'ol tick turd?!" been a while,,, hope all is well in your world.
    haha, whats up bro! all is definitely well....just been really busy lately with my new career and moving 8 hrs from home

bigdog81 is offline Member
    id get some decent 31 10.50's.....(all terrain.)
    for the ice

for the snow.....invest in some chains....
    its the only way to be economical about it!

shootdeep is offline Member
    i have some tire experience and if it were me would buy either nokian hakkapeliitta LTs or the bridgestone blizzak. avoid a wide tire as it spreads the vehicle weight over a wider footprint and reduces traction...kinda like a wide tire in a deep puddle=hydroplane city!

shootdeep is offline Member
    if the weather is REALLY bad, either one can be studded if neccesary

nj123 is offline Member
    i know a good bit about tires but i dont know much about how they do in snow because im in tx but i have never heard anything bad about the bfg all terrains

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    BFG 37.5x12.5 All terrains ROCK!! Gimme some mud..gimme some snow...gimme some ice...

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Two words: studded tires! They rule. Much fun.

CBR9Seadoo is offline New Member
    [QUOTE=scottp999]I just bought a set for my 4runner. Check out bridgstone blizzak winter dueler DM-Z2. They perform very well in deep snow and are very close to performing as well as studded tires on ice. Read the reviews at the bottom of the page. Hit the read all reviews link.

QUOTE]

IMO I wouldn't even look at the Blizzak tire. I live in MN and put a set on my t-bird in hs. I put 12k miles on them and there was nothing left. I would recommend them only if if was a very snowy region. If you do a lot of driving I think u will be very disappointed.

CBR9Seadoo is offline New Member
    Living in MN and having our fair amount of snow here I chose Goodyear Wrangler MT's for my 2000 Tahoe. I spend a lot of time hunting so the are good for the mud and snow. I have to hit a really icy day to try them out. When it come to ice I don't think there is anything that can help but your brain.

Thread Information