View Poll Results: Is a reputation worth a fight?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

9 42.86%
  • no

12 57.14%

Thread: reputation?

Devourer is offline Senior Member

reputation?

do you think its worth it to get into a fight just to earn/keep the respect of a reputation?

Heck no.... who the heck cares what others think of me? Geez...

There are important things to fight for in life... like family or friends... choose your fights wisely.

Red

mass junkie is offline banned
    I've fought for lesser reasons than that..........I hate when people stare.............eventually I go up to them and ask if they have a problem....sometimes they say yes.....and then its on

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    I agree with RED. I don't have to fight someone to get people to respect me.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    If i was in jail, yes. On the street, i don't care about that bull****.

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Heck no.... who the heck cares what others think of me? Geez...

There are important things to fight for in life... like family or friends... choose your fights wisely.

Red
    Agreed

what if someone swung at you? would you still walk away?

Madmax is offline Senior Member
    depends bro, fear and respect are different...you can always make peoiple fear you but you can't always make them respect you...i dont like people showing me any disrespect and if there not a friend and do it then if they want a shot at the title ill give it to them....respect is earned through your actions people see...and once you let someone make you look like a punk its hard to gain the respect you lost back....MM
    Last edited by Madmax; 12-06-2003 at 07:08 PM.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anadrol devourer
    my theory is this...never start a fight, but never back down. If someone swings, take them down. It's not worth it, but if they take a shot, then i'm not going to let them have a second chance to get at me.

LORDBLiTZ Guest

It's all over if he takes the first swing. I'd beat the fuk out of that douche bag. That's a lot different than someone calling you names or bull**** like that.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    anadrol devourer, is there something going on bro? What's the deal?

just broke my hand and cant lift. doc cant do anything but pain meds which i dont want. just sitting around thinking how it sucks and i should of walked away because my HS reputation isnt necessary, i didnt need to prove anything to myself. instead i beat the crap out of some old guy get congratulated by the cops, toasted by my friends, then i drive my buddy home and he cooks me a filet and some garlic mashed potatoes. then i go home and feel like **** for a month.

shootdeep is offline Member
    there was a time when i thought anything was worth a fight. but a couple times in the cuffs and a court date or two and that all changes. fortunately i was still a minor. now it takes more than a rep to get me to go.

caturpilar is offline Associate Member
    Well brother, it's hard to say. Cause respect and rep can be two different things as far as fighting goes. I've had a few butt kickins because i wanted to keep a rep as a bad a** Thats the worst you can do (and I have 3 broken noses to prove it ) unless your BDTR then it works for ya. I've been told by fellow marines that I am a passive guy. I am a SGT and all the troops don't really care if I can kick there ass or not. They respect me because I'm not an a**hole and I've got a rep as the most approachable SGT's in my unit. So you can have rep and respect without fisticuffs.

LostUp is offline Associate Member
    You know for anyone in high school the answer is definatly a yeah. Atleast in my old high school. If certain groups of kids thought you wouldn't knock their heads off, man youd never have a peaceful day in your life. But now, I'm not so sure. I mean if he swung at me like you said, I would FLIP and just go nuts on him. But not for a rep, thats just the way I am. Sometimes however I do do things for a rep, not to make me look tough to everyone, or scare strangers or anything like that but so that the people that I don't like and don't like me know not to F*** with me. I tell you what I would have been beaten up quite a few times if people didn't think I was crazy. Anyway I would rather be feared then respected, fear lasts longer, like Sonny says in bronx tale about availability and fear... thats 100% true in my book.

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    Hell yeah, I hate when people stare like mass said, and especially at my chick... I tried to fight 7 guys last year at this bar because they were eyeing up my chicks ass... They wanted nothing to do with me... I know my ability, and i know i couldnt beat all 7 ass's but i knew and they knew that at least minmum 3 were gettin knocked the **** out... Its not respect thing, i give two ****s what other people think its principle... No one will ever one up me or put me in my place... Ill go to the death. thats just how I am...

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    BIG BOY. Its funny how you feel more confident fighting all 7 guys at once than just fighting one guy. Sometimes all of them at once works more to your advantage. Usually they wait for one of their friends to go at you first and see how you fight. If you knock the **** out of the biggest guy, they usually lose confidence but still stay in the circle. Thats when you beat the **** out of all of em. You probably could have taken all of em if needed.

Also. Like LOST said. Highschool is more about popularity than anything. Respect is popularity. If you are popular, you get away with a lot of ****. Sometimes you have to throw the first punch even if you know you are gonna lose. If the kids know you back down in fights they will **** with you all the time.
    Just walk up, sock the guy and walk away. Make sure it is in a crowd so people will see.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes and No..problesm shoudl be corrected in private..rep's can suffer from the public seeing a man getting a bit to physical. However, sometimes a man has to do, what a man has to do, but when it could be done "out of public sight"..that is the best way, IMO. Maybe it is more of a revenge issue, but when ol'boy is kissing your ass, the next time you encounter him, people will thin allot more of you and think he is all gas!

i am no longer in highschool this is just the reputation i got when i was there. im four years removed and the reputation is still around. only worse because i got alot bigger since then. my reputation may have been necesarry when i was 120 lb senior. i wish i could have walked away after the guy swung on me with my head held high.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Never.. I'd run jkjk.

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    Bottom line is im ready to go at all times... I dont like that actually and I trie tnot to fight but its always morrons... I just hate morons, dick heads, what ever u want to call them... I dont start fights ever, i just finish them... THats they way its always been, and it will always be...

scottninpo is offline Senior Member

Wink

i have nothing to prove to anyone, and i'm so narcisitic i rarely notice or care about other's opinion of me

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't give a f**k what others think of me.......u either like me or u don't.....it's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by cb25
    my theory is this...never start a fight, but never back down. If someone swings, take them down. It's not worth it, but if they take a shot, then i'm not going to let them have a second chance to get at me.
    Absolutely.

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=LostUp]You know for anyone in high school the answer is definatly a yeah. Atleast in my old high school. If certain groups of kids thought you wouldn't knock their heads off, man youd never have a peaceful day in your life. But now, I'm not so sure.

Reputation among who? My co-workers, family, aquaintances? Do I kick my bosses ass if he disses me? This is definately a childhood issue. In the real world unless you're a punk and are around other punks fighting is not a means by which conflict resolution is done. I didn't vote in this poll because it is not a relevant issue in my reality which is working, paying the mortgage, feeding my family and living as a respectable member of my community.

LostUp is offline Associate Member
    "Reputation among who? My co-workers, family, aquaintances? Do I kick my bosses ass if he disses me? This is definately a childhood issue. In the real world unless you're a punk and are around other punks fighting is not a means by which conflict resolution is done. I didn't vote in this poll because it is not a relevant issue in my reality which is working, paying the mortgage, feeding my family and living as a respectable member of my community."

Well in your case I see your point... When I have a family I'm sure I'll see things very much the same. I still think what I said about high school was 100% true. But thats off topic I guess, but like I said about now? I'm still not sure if it's worth it... see my rep has helped me now, I wont go into specifics but there was this kid talking a whole bunch of stuff about me (he didn't know me so any previous "rep" I had didn't matter) threatening me because I was going out with his ex gf. He would do things like call her up and harass her and threaten me to her, or like I was out one day at a public place, he found out we were there and he showed up with his friends pretty much to start something (stupid stuff you know) but we were out numbered enough to where we decided it wouldn't be the best idea to fight them. Anyway he called my gf up on the phone starting stuff not knowing that I was a few blocks away from his house.... lets just say he don't call anymore... and now that they think it's not such a good idea to play stupid games with me his friends are now very nice people. So a rep does help... thats just my most recent example but when people think your crazy, they tend to leave you alone, which is a very good thing. It's like carrying a pistol, no one wants to rob the guy with the semi auto, but if you never pull it out, no one will know you have it and youre not detering anyone. Same idea... Everyone has a rep... it's just that some peoples rep is that they're a good citizen

in the real world physical confrontations happen. if you're being watched by co-workers, family, friends, aquaintances, whoever actually respects you, would you fight to keep that respect? if you had no respect to begin with then this isnt a issue.

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    LostUp I agreed with your post and that is why I quoted you. While rep may be important for high schoolers still seeking their identity in "the real world" fights rarely happen among mature adults and I'd rather call 911 than fight some asshole (usually drunk) unless I absolutely had to defend myself. In that case no rules apply and I'll bite off an ear or lip and gouge eyes to win. The question is would I fight for my reputation. In my world strret fighting is for punks and low class, uneducated fools. I associate with grownups whether they be 18 or 70 my friends know how to behave in a civil manner and don't fight each other. In fact fighting will give one a "reputation" of a hot head who is not in control of his temper. Of course this doesn't apply to athletes who fight with other athletes for sport.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Reputation...nah. But if people are running their mouths off to me, disrespect my family, my girlfriend, or me then the **** is on!!

slamd097 is offline Banned
    it all depends...some one swings at me..ill rip his ****in head off, he stares at me, ill rip his ****in head off. they do anything towards my family...ill rip his ****in head off. but other then that, i just mind my own business..

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markas214
    LostUp I agreed with your post and that is why I quoted you. While rep may be important for high schoolers still seeking their identity in "the real world" fights rarely happen among mature adults and I'd rather call 911 than fight some asshole (usually drunk) unless I absolutely had to defend myself. In that case no rules apply and I'll bite off an ear or lip and gouge eyes to win. The question is would I fight for my reputation. In my world strret fighting is for punks and low class, uneducated fools. I associate with grownups whether they be 18 or 70 my friends know how to behave in a civil manner and don't fight each other. In fact fighting will give one a "reputation" of a hot head who is not in control of his temper. Of course this doesn't apply to athletes who fight with other athletes for sport.
    Well said. Fighting in a self defence situation is simply doing what needs to be done. However, I am not above baiting some agreesive sob into taking the first swing. Then I have no fear of legal repercussions arising from the incident.

Thread Information