Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired

Nothing New but the UN is running from Afghanistan

AP: U.N. May Have to Abandon Afghan Effort

By STEPHEN GRAHAM, Associated Press Writer

KABUL, Afghanistan - The United Nations (news - web sites) may be forced to abandon its two-year effort to stabilize Afghanistan (news - web sites) because of rising violence blamed on the resurgent Taliban, its top official here warned Friday in an interview with The Associated Press.

Lakhdar Brahimi said his team could not continue its work unless security improves. He called for more foreign troops to halt attacks that have killed at least 11 aid workers across the south and east since March.

"Countries that are committed to supporting Afghanistan cannot kid themselves and cannot go on expecting us to work in unacceptable security conditions," Brahimi said.

"They seem to think that our presence is important here. Well, if they do, they have got to make sure that the conditions for us to be here are there," he said. "If not, we will go away."

U.N. calls for international troops to fan out across Afghanistan's troubled provinces have grown shrill since a French U.N. refugee worker was gunned down in the eastern city of Ghazni in October.

The world body has suspended some operations in regions along the border, where Taliban militants and their allies have been most active, including help to thousands of refugees returning from Pakistan.

NATO (news - web sites), which commands a 5,500-strong peacekeeping force in the Afghan capital, Kabul, has agreed in principle to expand into the provinces. But nations have been slow to come forward with pledges of troops.

And these are the same people who want to take over the effort in Iraq - I guess I would laugh more if it wasnt so pathetic

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    As a professional military man, I have had the misfortune to be involved with the UN..this is par for the course! Ignorant plans, liberal Euro-generals, pacifist-drafted-chain smoking-non bathing NCO's and "Officer-Level" civilians commanding troops that are more interested in pleasing the media and world opinion are the majority of the UN and its administration. This is no surprise!

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    The problem is that they are all compacted into Kabul, and they are leaving the rest of the country basically empty to be controlled by the warlords. You can't expect to control an entire country from one location.

BostonBobby is offline Associate Member
    Just cause they say they are leaving you know there will still be soliders there..

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Mmmm, I was still serving in Somalia with UNISOM I and II when the US military ran with its tail between its legs. Are we sure we want to go down this road.. Oh yeah, and I was still serving with UNIFIL in 2000-2001 over 20 years after the US withdrew from Lebanon

Thread Information