14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hoax

6 42.86%
  • Ghost

8 57.14%

Thread: Hoax or Ghost?

Aragorn is offline Senior Member

Exclamation Hoax or Ghost?

This was in my local online newspaper and I thought it interesting and creepy at the same time. Let me know what you think.

Closed-circuit cameras detect possible ghostly presence

LONDON (AP) - Are there ghostly goings-on at Henry VIII's palace, or is that hazy image of a fellow in fancy robes just a bit of Christmas cheer?
    Closed-circuit security cameras at Hampton Court Palace, the huge Tudor pile outside London, seem to have snagged an ethereal visitor. Could it be a ghost?

"We're baffled too. It's not a joke. We haven't manufactured it," Vikki Wood, a Hampton Court spokeswoman said when asked if the photo the palace released was a Christmas hoax. "We genuinely don't know who it is or what it is."

Wood said security guards had seen the figure in closed-circuit television footage after checking it to see who kept leaving open one of the palace's fire doors.

In the still photograph, the figure of a man in a robe-like garment is shown stepping from the shadowy doorway, one arm reaching out for the door handle.

The area around the man is somewhat blurred, and his face appears unnaturally white compared with his outstretched hand.

"It was incredibly spooky because the face just didn't look human," said James Faukes, one of the palace security guards.

"My first reaction was that someone was having a laugh, so I asked my colleagues to take a look. We spoke to our costumed guides, but they don't own a costume like that worn by the figure. It is actually quite unnerving," Faukes said.

The palace, built in 1525 on the River Thames about 15 kilometres west of central London, is a popular tourist attraction and some of the guide staff wear costume of the Tudor period.

Wood said she was hoping people would come forward with similar stories and try to explain the figure.

The palace has been the scene of many dramatic royal events and already is supposed to have a few ghosts.

King Henry VIII's third wife, Jane Seymour, died there giving birth to a son, and her ghost is said to walk through one of the cobbled courtyards carrying a candle.

Her son, Edward, had a nurse called Sibell Penn who was buried in the palace grounds in 1562. In 1829 her tomb was disturbed by building work, and around the same time an odd whirring noise began to be heard in the southwest wing of the palace. When workmen traced the strange sounds to a brick wall, they uncovered a small forgotten room containing an old spinning wheel, just like the one Penn used to use.

Henry's fifth wife, Catherine Howard, condemned for adultery, was held at the palace under house arrest before her execution at the Tower of London. An 1897 book about the palace says she was reportedly seen, dressed in white and floating down one of the galleries uttering unearthly shrieks.

The palace was once a prison for King Charles, who later was beheaded, and then home to his nemesis Oliver Cromwell, who briefly ruled when Britain was for a short time a republic.

***subtitle of picture reads: A supposed figure stands in a doorway at Hampton Court Palace in southwest London in this image caught on closed circuit television. ***
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hoax or Ghost?-hoax-ghost.jpg  

Testify is offline Senior Member
    Its impossible to tell what is really shown in the picture, but its a good story.

Devourer is offline Senior Member
    i believe in ghosts...

Gaylord Focker is offline Junior Member
    that picture is creepy...I'm scared hold me

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    you cant tell from that picture, if the figure was to fade or be see through then i would say ghosts, but from that picture it could just be a person wearing a costume

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    I dont believe in ghosts, I think it's a hoax

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    i dont think there is an afterlife, so right from the start i have no doubt its a hoax. i think if someone works on it hard enough they will find a logical explaination. hoax!

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    I am living proof there are such things as ghosts. I posted tons of stories that have happened to me throughout my entire life along with my family and friends. Hell, My stories freaked out Bermich!

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I call it a hoax. I mean, I believe that we might have spirits or someone might leave behind a presence but the guy has clothes on. Have you ever seen a ghost clothes shop ?..

Kato is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    I call it a hoax. I mean, I believe that we might have spirits or someone might leave behind a presence but the guy has clothes on. Have you ever seen a ghost clothes shop ?..
    no i have not seen a ghost clothes shop, nor have i seen a ghost runnin around nekkid!

palme is offline Rosie Member
    My girl claimes she can see ghosts, i call bs doh. Thats a pic of prince charles in a bathroob!

Da Bull is offline Banned
    This pic looks like a hoax to me........

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Call it what you want....I believe in ghosts. I never did until my freshman year summer. I stayed at my friend jonathans, and we went to this kid gregs house and decided to stay the night. This was oh...i think the third time they had me slee p over there. Renee and Zach (gregs mom and dad) were believers in teh Wiccan religion and such.

Well, when Zach started weirdin out on me teling me all the shiat he had seen in the house, I started flippin out and thought "oh man...this guy is nuts.". The third time I stayed over there, i had heard so many ghost stories I was tired of it...The main one he kept telling me was about some guy who hung himself in that house 10 years ago (which was true, checked it out myself)
    Jon and Greg were asleep on the bed, Zach and Renee were in bed, and Kane (the 3 yera old brother of Greg) was asleep in his bed. I 'm sleepin on the couch, and the next thing I know Kane is shaking me shivvering freaking out and crap like hes seen well...a ghost! . I'm in their living room, and their hallway connects to their kitchen, (they have a very small size house). And Kane is standin their whispering:

"shh!!! hide me! Hes here!" and I'm like WTF? So I go into Gregs room and wake him and jon up and tell them that Kane is scared to death, sayin he said he saw an old man in the hallway. Before I went into Gregs room I saw nothing...Jon and Greg were freakin out an crap, and I thought they were still trying to scare me.

I walk out into the hall wit them , and i'm standing oh...about three fukcing feet away from this tall old man, at least 6'0. I was like whoa whos this guy? Jon and Greg are staring at me in disbelief, and their faces are ****in white. The dude looked sortof oh....Transparent, only not...I dunno how to explain that.

I stared at this guy for about 7 seconds or so, then he just faded away, like an illusion...I've believe d in them ever sense, that's just me though.

Demon Deacon is offline Anabolic Member
    ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Deacon
    ghost
    or maybe hoax

But i would guess its deffinately a ghost. They are all over the place especially in LOTR aragon

slamd097 is offline Banned
    hell I see dead people all the time..they talk to me, and someof them don't even....wait, never mind..sure a finger in the ass would work, it would probably get his attention!

Lord Humungous is offline Associate Member
    The pic looks faked, whether ghosts exist or not is a seperate issue.

However, it's a cool pic

Should have been in time for halloween tho, not Xmas.

-LH

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    I believe in ghost.. U never know..

bigol'legs2 is offline Junior Member
    at lakenheath air force base, England, on the flightline, airman have seen or experienced ghostly happenings... of course when they report it their shift commanders think they have gone nuts until he/she sees it for themselves.
    I believe it.

Thread Information