TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member

your beginning of working out...

was laying on the bench between sets in my basement tonite and started thinking about when i was 12 and first began to work out. at that time my mom had 2 5lbs dumbells and 2 10lbs dumbells and i just started doing a bunch of weird exercises with horrible form but got some results. i think i bascially started so i could compete with kids in my math class when everybody arm wrestled each other cause i always lost. when and what was the beginning for all of you to start working out or getting into shape???

FROST is offline Associate Member
    I started working out for a positive thing to look forward to. Get my life back on track, you woulding think that **** can get that bad at only 16 yrs old. I guess only some can understand what one can get them selves into. I been kicked out, arrested, adicted......... well i guess l could go on, but it would be pointless. Going to the gym gives me sumthing to look forward to, sumthing thats mine and no one can take from me, i guess thats why i like it so much.

motocross308 is offline New Member
    i was 145 my senior yr and got screwed with alot .. plus i wrestled ..im pretty happy 100lb later

FROST is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by motocross308
    i was 145 my senior yr and got screwed with alot .. plus i wrestled ..im pretty happy 100lb later
    Ya know, i dont really get messed with, i think its because most have seen me wrestle, and some have seen me box. But the whole tuff guy image gets old after awile, so i just keep to myself unless someone gets out of line
    Last edited by FROST; 12-21-2003 at 08:29 PM.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    After goin through all hell of being picked on and beaten, and being fat and worthless , I decided to start lifting at age 13...Got my ass kicked once, and i decided that was a bout enough. I worked out, and the next year the kid tried fighting me again, I knocked the hell out of him . I don't really have any other talents...So I guess it was something to look forward to....No one can sit me on the bench , or make me play last, because there's no team . I was 145 during summer, now i'm 185, and ready for my cutting phase. I'll be pretty small again, but ripped. And then i'll bulk up again, and add more muscle....You can never learn everything in this sport...maybe that's why I like it so much...

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    yea getting picked on can be a huge motivation for people but it can also be the opposite by getting them depressed, just depends on how u deal with it....

Gotta agree with FROST...i'ts better to keep to yourself. Good call sign bro

I was depressed....Then I got motivated.

Lord Humungous is offline Associate Member
    Loved it as a kid, but had no real knowedge of wtf I was doing. I got strong and big by accident. Then I got married, had kids, got distracted........

Then I got lupus.

After years of corticosteroids and chemo, I was about dead. Out of desperation I started lifting to try and keep from atrophying to death and the rest is history....I never looked back, and it's more addictive than crack.

-LH

Lady Legs is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Humungous
    Then I got married, had kids, got distracted........

-LH

I distracted him BUT by watching him get bigger and better , I decided if ya can't beat em join him. So I started lifting weights also. Watch out honey I'm catching up to ya just kidding you will always be bigger than me (well in some areas )

-LL

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Legs
    I distracted him BUT by watching him get bigger and better , I decided if ya can't beat em join him. So I started lifting weights also. Watch out honey I'm catching up to ya just kidding you will always be bigger than me (well in some areas )

-LL
    nice to see a couple posting on the boards together.......Well I assume your a couple....

Lady Legs is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    nice to see a couple posting on the boards together.......Well I assume your a couple....

Yep married for 9 years now :spudniksw and have not killed each other yet

Lord Humungous is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Legs
    just kidding you will always be bigger than me (well in some areas )

-LL
    Like those ****ed calves. Jeez. Here I writhe in pain and torture the hell out em of myself, and her calves are practically competition quality already. Sheesh.

Life isn't fair.

Yes Mass, Legs and me are married 9 years. It's so cool to have a bodybuilder wife, like she makes the most awesome omlettes and I do all of the grilling, and protien RULES!!!! The kids hate us though.......LOL

-LH

Impressive!

I had lifted on and off in HS and College (hockey player...)

Had a botched surgery a few years ago, sank deep in a depression, let myself go so badly I turned into a fat tub of lard... When I started to feel better, I kicked myself in the arse and hit the gym with a vengeance...

Haven't looked back since. It's now my addiction, my lifestyle, myself.

Red

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Humungous
    Like those ****ed calves. Jeez. Here I writhe in pain and torture the hell out em of myself, and her calves are practically competition quality already. Sheesh.

Life isn't fair.

Yes Mass, Legs and me are married 9 years. It's so cool to have a bodybuilder wife, like she makes the most awesome omlettes and I do all of the grilling, and protien RULES!!!! The kids hate us though.......LOL

-LH
    Thats great......I wish you two the best of luck

nj123 is offline Member
    im with you frost.. been gettin in trouble and **** and now i thought i just thought it was time to change

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    I honestly can't remember why or how I started, seems like one day it was just what I did. Pretty soon it was my reputation and I was "one of the guys." I continued in college because it was my stress relief and am a gymrat now because it's the only place I feel completely myself.

Danielle is offline Female Member
    good thread.........

well for me........as a child, i always remembered my mother in the living room with her mat, weights and work out tapes.......she was really into fitness/aerobics......she always told me one of the things you can do is the join the gym when you turn 18.............

she passed away 3 weeks after my 18th birthday and 2 weeks after that i was in a really bad car accident that caused 2 slipped discs in my neck and 6 months of physical therapy......i feel into deep depressed for a while, didnt work, didnt want to go to school, go out with friends, basically didnt do much besides stay home ..........then i just found myself in my room with lifting my moms 5 and 10 pound weights just to release some of the stress and anger i had...........

i was never into any sports as a child or thoughtout high school...........i actually wasnt active at all and hated gym class..........but when i eventually joined the gym i totally fell in love with it...........and as someone said before, there is no team, so everything you accomplished is solely for yourself and no one can take that away from you...................so the more and more change i see now, the more i push myself........and i'll never look back
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Always have been into different sports and just sorta wound up in the gym in junior high school and have worked out ever since. I like that it is something you can do so easily and on a day in day out basis. So many other sports you need to have a training partner, opponent, or team but the gym is just you.

echobeach is offline Junior Member
    Well this is kind of 'ya know' - but at 13 I was made to join the local gym cause mum caught me, ah........."treating my body like it was an amusement park" and she decided that I had too much extra energy that should be be chanelled into a more constructive pastime.

Been going ever since - for the last 20 odd years pretty much.

Working out helped me play better footy and cricket, and now I lift for sport in the Masters competitions.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    i gotta job loading trucks and a guy there had arms that were unbelievable, we made friends and it turned out he went to the same school as me, so i started lifting with him, now i'm way bigger and way stronger than him, heehee, but he's a cop now, so i can't make fun of him

Thread Information