Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Most Underrated Band? (and keep it relevant jackasses!)

First things first, keep it relevant and at least slightly mainstream so we can all appreciate the responses and maybe go back to a band we never fully got into but are familiar with. There already exists a great thread on unknown bands somewhere in this forum.

That being said, name a band or solo artist that you believe has gone largely unappreciated or didn't get their due time in the sun, so to speak.

My primary choice is Silver Chair. "Miss You Love", "Anna's Song", "Suicidal Dream", "Abuse Me" and "After all These Years" rank among some of the best songs of the 90's, imo and very few aside from abuse me so any real air play.

As a tangent, i strongly believe the band that will receive the most "posthumous" recognition (not in terms of their biological lives, but musical) will be Live. I truly think that they are to my generation what Pink Floyd was to my father's - a band that enjoys some mainstream success in "their time" but goes on to true iconic success only two or so decades after the fact, when it is shown that their music endures. I don't think it'll be to teh same level as Floyd, but it'll happen to some degree.

Now, I see you're on tonight Red, so have at it...this is right up your alley.

mass junkie is offline banned
    PennyWise

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    PennyWise
    who?

Sevendust

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kc
    who?

Sevendust
    See my point exactly...totally underrated....Mudmans lurking he should know who they are

Kato is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kc

Sevendust
    2nd this!

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    PennyWise
    **** you mass...do i have to guide you through all of my threads? How about a little commentary? I think i know who they are, but I'm not certain.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Toadies
    Isle of Q
    Systematic

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    **** you mass...do i have to guide you through all of my threads? How about a little commentary? I think i know who they are, but I'm not certain.
    And this, my friends, is the problem with censoring....mass has no idea if i said "f-u-c-k you" or "d-a-m-n you"....it was d-a-m-n by the way.

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    yea....tell me tell me...the genre atleast

BDTR is offline Retired
    Darkbuster....

Boston punk rock at its finest.

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Darkbuster....

Boston punk rock at its finest.
    Do they ever play Providence? I think i may have seen them...but that type of name is somewhat standard.

BDTR is offline Retired
    Yes, they've toured the east coast. They're like a drunken bar old school punk rock band. Look up "good times" on kaaza or something.

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    pavement

Bad Luck 13............... Hard core

echobeach is offline Junior Member
    Powderfinger - easily the best Aussie band in 20 years...maybe even since ACDC?

As with Silverchair I don't think they are big in the States...but that's good, coz we want em' here playing to us all the time!!

Now, I see you're on tonight Red, so have at it...this is right up your alley.
    Well, being Canadian there is one bad that comes to mind instantly...

The Tragically Hip

They attained superstar cult status here in Canada yet in the US they never really made it big other than an occasional following in mostly border towns. Why is that? Who knows, maybe their sound is "too Canadian"...

Unfortunately "superstar" status in Canada isn't enough for a band who really wants to make it big... lets face it, the market just isn't here. You got more people living in New-York or LA than we do in ALL of Canada...

Another band I find quite underrated is The Fabulous Thundebirds... They got an amazing sound and beat, yet... other than the occasional exposure (mostly in Tarantino movies) they are unknown to too much people!

And of course there is The Ramones... I mean come on... they single handedly invented a new style, a new sound... yet they were poopooed by much of the music industry and fans for way too long.

I also think The Cult never got the recognition they deserved. Another band with an awesome sound, yet... they just don't seem to be able to get that "boom" they need to explode on the markets.

Just a few I'm sure I'll think of more soon hee hee! Just sitting here listening to "Accept - Balls To The Wall.mp3" Anyone remember them?

Red

Quote Originally Posted by RageControl
    pavement
    **** it people...a little background info is always nice....don't make me turn this car around.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Well, being Canadian there is one bad that comes to mind instantly...

The Tragically Hip
    The tragically hip had a pretty solid following in my neck of the woods a few years back if i'm not mistaken. Of course, a lot of canadian **** came our way via Burlington and then across the river.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    That being said, name a band or solo artist that you believe has gone largely unappreciated or didn't get their due time in the sun, so to speak.
    ========

Chick Webb's band and Ella Fitzgerald, the singer . . . never hear much about 'em nowadays, and they were great . . .

After putting forth a "relevant" rule, I hate to flirt with breaking it myself, but I'm going to toss Sigur Ros in there. To those of you who so Vanilla Sky, they were responsible for most of the trippy background music.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Wow, BG you scare me. Both Sigur Ros and Silverchair are on constant rotation here. I think Mudman said the Toadies, which is a DEFINITE. "Tyler" was probably one of my favorite songs of all time.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    best metal band i've ever heard/seen: fear factory, almost every show i've seen them do, they blow out the speaker system, so they're not that bright
    best punk band never heard on mainstream: NOFX, no doubt, one of the best punk bands of all time
    best rock band: tool, nuff said

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Debbie Gibson. jk

Finger eleven.
    Sneaker pimps (before they let go of the female singer)
    Pete Yorn

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Cake
    Not pop and not mainstream but I really like the lyrics and some of the off the wall stuff they sing about. Mastodon Farm, Hem of your garment, Goats go to Hell..........imho pretty good stuff (and I have everything they've put out). They've had plenty stuff in movies and a couple of hits (minor) on the radio but nothing really mainstream that everyone would like.

Injected
    Never heard of them until a few months back. Bought the album for a single song and liked EVER song on it. (Bros I'm sure you know how rare it is to buy an album with more than two songs you really like). Hard rock....not metal....pop....and no hip hop influence.....rock like I used to listen too. I've yet to run into another person who has even heard of them.

The starving bands always put out the best stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    The starving bands always put out the best stuff.
    You're so right Jugg............. There are a few local bands in the Philly area that are really good and I would say better then most of the crap you hear on the radio................ Carfax Abbey is one they are a industial/goth band and The Mighty O.V. they play harder rock music. There's one more Octane but they are getting pretty big in this area.

slamd097 is offline Banned
    geez, bg..ok a little history:

I was born in the year 1974. I was raised eating Paint chips and drinking out of lead glasses. I have a nervous twitch that comes out but it is hard to notice becaue you will get hung up on my glass eye and club foot. I spend time beating off to elton john videos and enjoy driving in a mini skirt. That way all of the truckers can look up my skirt.

Another band to look into:

2nd Born. Every one in the band is the second born in the family. (not the same family though) The music is definately heavy.

Drop Kick Murphy's, another great Band, out of Boston i believe. Look up Amazing Grace on kazaa. They have an awesome rendition.

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member

Fontains of Wayne

Fountains of Wayne.

I heard these guys in L.A. a few years back and they were awesome. I think they just now got an album out.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    Debbie Gibson. jk

Finger eleven.
    Sneaker pimps (before they let go of the female singer)
    Pete Yorn
    Sneaker pimps were definitely good. I also agree with BG about Live for sure, but as far as silverchair goes, i love them, but i don't feel like they've put out enough albums because of the lead singer's problems.. Or that may just be that i haven't heard a lot of it.

And i'm going to have to add to the list the Foo Fighters. I feel like they don't get the recognition they deserve because of the whole cobain nonsense.. people think "oh, it's just nirvana leftovers" but they rock, plain and simple. Everlong is one of my top 5 favorite songs.

sd11 is offline Banned
    Life Of Agony......before Keith Caputo left the band
    River Runs Red is the single greatest album.

Lord Humungous is offline Associate Member
    I'll have to go with Sevendust. They've been around Atlanta for years under several names and incarnations, but they never fail to deliver the goods. They should be better off than they are.

Fear factory has always been a personal favorite too, although they lost thier guitarist so their new sound may be different.

-LH

Aragorn is offline Senior Member
    Dispatch, The Tea Party

Aragorn

cb25 is offline Banned
    My vote is for Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers....formerly known as the Refreshments. They had a couple hits in the 90s (Banditos, Mekong, Mexico...plus Roger wrote the theme song to King of the Hill TV show).

Only the kids from AZ (i'd bet) will know them as the Peacemakers, if they've ever heard of them at all.

It's a pretty eclectic mix of music, not real hard rock. Somewhere between Rock, alternative, country, americana...blah blah blah, i've heard them classified as just about everything. But they put on the single best live show I've ever seen (not saying much, but still) Soo much energy, the most diehard fans, and they've always stayed true to the local music scene - plus - they play all night until the venue is forced to pull the plug on them. I've never seen them end a show willingly...they'll go as long as the fans will listen. They play in Mexico every year...and from what I understand, they play a 3-5 hour set every year....

redrock is offline Member
    Danzig - Has one of the best voices in rock/metal.

nj123 is offline Member
    sepultura

Quote Originally Posted by sd11
    i was debating betwen LOA and tool, but you just can't pick anyone over Maynard and co., i try to never do this, but i gotta say it, sepultura sucks!!! ther're pantera wannabe's
    j/k don't be offended nj123

asymmetrical1 is offline Respected Member
    ****ing awsome album.....but their other stuff was god awful
    Last edited by asymmetrical1; 12-24-2003 at 09:48 PM.

really? i liked ugly very much, a bit of a lighter touch, but i thought it was a good album

sd11 is offline Banned
    I'm with asymmetrical everything after river runs red is a lost cause.......they went out and got that singer from ugly kid joe or some ****ty band like that

I'm with asymmetrical everything after river runs red is a lost cause.......they went out and got that singer from ugly kid joe or some ****ty band like that
    they had two albums with keith, the second one was named Ulgy

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottninpo
    i was debating betwen LOA and tool, but you just can't pick anyone over Maynard and co., i try to never do this, but i gotta say it, sepultura sucks!!! ther're pantera wannabe's
    j/k don't be offended nj123

Sepultura has been around way before Pantera. Pantera became too trendy too fast for me. I liked them till everyone else started too.

Tool is way under rated. Yes they get some recognition but not what they deserve. Danzig is a master lyricism and doesn't get half the recognition that he deserves. plus he's the smartest freak your ever meet.

The number one most under rated performer is Ronnie James Dio. The Best voice in Rock Ever. No one even comes close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information