Can't effin workout because of shingles!!!

Darn bros I am so pis$ed off....

Just came back from the doctors and it would seem I got a real nasty case of "Shingles". Thats the chickenpox I got as a kid and it's making a localised comeback in the skins nerve endings... a VERY painfull comeback.

My left side from belly button to spine is covered in rashes, sores and scabs... it's bloody painfull. It feels like a good 2nd degree burn.

Worse is that nothing can be done about it... just have to wait it out (There is medication if it's caught within 72 hrs of the first rash, but I've had it a week so it's too late). He gave me pain killers to be able to sleep at night, but it would seem that I am going to be like this for 2 to 4 weeks...

I really did NOT need that! Gonna have to hit the gym as soon as the blisters subside on my back... arrrgh! I can't even stand my t-shirt brushing up against the rashes, and never mind the skin stretching... ouch˛

I am not a happy camper

Red

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    suuuuuuuuure it's the shingles. I told you to wear a rubber when you go on your "pay-by-the-hour" dates..

J/k bro... I've never had them but understand they can be quite painful. good luck and I hope you heal up soon.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Isnt this something kids get?

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palme
    Most people only get it once in their life time...but the lucky ones (sarcaism) can get it more then once.

Usually in most cases you get it as a kid so I can see where you would think that...but when you do get it as an adult it is brutal. Red I feel for you bro. I have seen this more then once with adults and I can only imagine what you are going through. Just remember in a week or so it will be all gone. Look at it on the bright side. Take the time off from the gym. Stay eating well and you may just benefit from the time off.

Keep us posted.

Palme ... kids get chickenpox (well they used to get it, since the 90's kids are now vaccinated against it).

Adults who had chickenpox as a kid will forever have the virus (or bacteria, whatever) dormant in their system.

Shingles is this virus becoming active again in a slightly different way, usually localised along a spinal nerve path along the skin. Usually happens to adults of course.

Ripped ... Oh man I wish it were some simple STD that can be cures with a weeks worth of penicilin! Hopefully I'll only have it 2 weeks and not 2 months!

Red

I had in when i was 6 or 7, man i scratched myself like crazy!!

It´s better to pinch then to scratch, but scratching is more satisfying

Shredz ... Well, I have no choice about the time off... I can't do much in the gym... heck I can't even do much with the GF!!! This is gonna be a looong and boring 2-3 weeks!

Palme ... Chickenpox is quite itchy, but shingles isn't itchy, it hurts a lot. Feels like a 2nd degree burn. Trust me, I keep my hands AWAY from it!

Red

Arrrrgh!!!

Well bros, I sucked it up and went to the gym anyways... just came home and am feeling like a million dollars (well, a million painfull dollars but hey...)

Decided to hit the bi-tri's with all I had... just avoided my side... even managed to lie down on a bench to do skull krushers once the endorphins kicked in was painfull as hell but it gave me a little extra oomph to lift... just didn't do any cardio... the rubbing of my shirt would have finished me off

Craaap man, this shingles moocow feecees won't get the better of me!

Red

Ohhh i messed up the thing

Speedy recovery bro!

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    That sucks bro...I got Chicken Pox late in life....I can sympathize!

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palme
    ======

David Letterman had it about a year ago, was out for a several weeks. A lady friend of mine had it, and it took about 3 months to completely subside. Another older guy I knew had it . . . seems like everyone I know who's had it was in their 50's.
    I used to think it was an occupational hazard for roofers or something . . .

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Shingles are way worse than the chicken pox. Hope you get better bro.

Well, I have to admit that though it is painfull, during the day I can ignore it most of the time... I mean as BB's pain everywhere is not quite a stranger to us eh?
    I won't take the pain killers the doctor gave me during the day.

But at night it does become unbearable. Last night I finally had a good nights sleep thanks to 30mg of mr. Codeine.

Red

D3m3nt3d is offline AR's Whore D'Oeuvre
    I got shingles over my eye in 6th grade, swelled like a bitch, completely shut...sucks

SpunHoney is offline Female Member
    ~ O hunny that sucks!!! i remember when my Ex got them he had to take those icky aveeno baths (oatmeal or something)..... they can be real dangerous for you to get them now isnt it? get better hunny!~
    ~MOD @IRONBODYBUILDING ~
    ~MOD@BIGDOGBODYBUILDING~
    ~You know that place between awake and asleep? The place where you remember dreamin' That is were i will always love you, that is where i will wait~

Devourer is offline Senior Member
    i thought you couldnt work out because you needed a new roof???

Bevo is offline Junior Member
    kind of scary **** to get...got it 2-3 times my freshman year of college...kept getting it cause was partying too much and really unhealthy so immune system was really low...thought i had a rash, and doctor was like "when was your last aids test?"...was scared ****less until i got tests back...

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Darn bros I am so pis$ed off....

Just came back from the doctors and it would seem I got a real nasty case of "Shingles". Thats the chickenpox I got as a kid and it's making a localised comeback in the skins nerve endings... a VERY painfull comeback.

My left side from belly button to spine is covered in rashes, sores and scabs... it's bloody painfull. It feels like a good 2nd degree burn.

Worse is that nothing can be done about it... just have to wait it out (There is medication if it's caught within 72 hrs of the first rash, but I've had it a week so it's too late). He gave me pain killers to be able to sleep at night, but it would seem that I am going to be like this for 2 to 4 weeks...

I really did NOT need that! Gonna have to hit the gym as soon as the blisters subside on my back... arrrgh! I can't even stand my t-shirt brushing up against the rashes, and never mind the skin stretching... ouch˛

I am not a happy camper

Red
    Are you running anything right now? Usually your immune system is suppressed if you get shingles. Did your doctor mention that? I got really sick before and it messed with my immune system and after that I got shingles.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    dang red... sorry to hear it

but tell your boss you got it from rubbing up in her chair at work...

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    Are you running anything right now? Usually your immune system is suppressed if you get shingles. Did your doctor mention that? I got really sick before and it messed with my immune system and after that I got shingles.
    Darn bro, no I'm not on anything now... matter of fact other than the darn shingles I am healthy as a race horse. I really don't know why it hit me.

On the other hand I don't know if it's hereditary, but ALL my uncles on my moms side as well as both my grandmothers had it at a young age (ie: before 40)... that may have something to do with it.

Red

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    POSTA PIC!!!

Thread Information