Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    chicamahomico is offline Respected Member

Lets talk about tipping

I understand the point of tipping, but it is just WAY out of hand. No customer should feel obligated to pay more sticker price for anything they buy. Has anyone else noticed the trend of "tip inflation", whereby some servers now feel entitiled to 30-50% instead of "merely" 15%. Although I am not, have not and likely will never be a waiter, I know many people in the "industry" but I am suer this not a local phenomenon.

Thes people think they are movie stars or something? The servers I know complain about crappy tips all the time and I ask for examples. Here are aq couple off the top of my head:

1) $23.xx tray of drinks given $30, so tip is $6+ for something that took what 3-5 mins, max. And this person is complaining!!

2) Friend is waiter and believes that tips start at $30 no matter how small the bill is and range from that to $1500(table of 20 in establishment for many hours and spends upwards of 10K+ on total bill) or so. I don't care if you slice that tip up between 10 people, thats $150 cash, tax free for one table....givme a break. Same guy would be royally pissed off if this same table tipped him ONLY $750 or so.

I woul like some objective opinions from you guys and gals about this and please say if you are a server or in a gratuity getting position. I am curious if my perceptions are warped and I am the only person that thinks tipping is getting seriously out of hand.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Well I can only talk about Ireland, we pay a service charge on all bills and no one expects to get tips. However if I feel the service has been good I'll tip 10% of the bill, but the service has got to be absolutely without fault for that.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm fixin' to open up a barber shop this summer, and ya, I'd much rather just pop the price up a notch and post a sign "NO TIPPING" than deal with tips. It's sorta awkward waiting for the client to finger through their wallets trying to figure out what a good tip is . . . and it's not like a big tip is going to affect their haircut next time anyway.
    But . . . I'm gonna have to hire some guys, and I suspect the tipping decision is going to be a collaborative one, thanks to the IRS's fussiness in a shop owner's control over the $$$ affairs of independant contractors.
    I'm still in the formative stage of starting this little enterprise, but I'm gonna try to make my shop tip-free.

Standard tip here in restaurants is 15%

Of course here service is not included in the bill... I don't quite eat in 5 forks restaurants, I'm more of a "average" chicken and ribs place kind of guy and I know darn well the waiters in those places work for minumum wage (which really inhales rectum here in Quebec).

So yeah, unless service is horrible the waiter will get 15%. If service is impeccable then he'll get more.

As for tipping in bars and pubs I dunno, I don't drink and seldom go into those places anymore.

Red

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I was going to be a Jewish circumsizer, I hear the tips are big

Isn't tipping a city in China?

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Man the bastereds in nyc now add the tip into your check so no matter if the service was ****y or not you still have to pay it.. and places like candela/serendipity3 charge 20% of total on special occassions.. THIVES I TELL YOU

KeyMastur is offline VET
    well i went cow tipping once. it's kinda fun, but you have to make sure to sneak up on them or they'll awaken and run away.

if she's hot, i'll tip more than if she's ugly.

it boils down to how friendly she is and how good the service is. someone could be crabby as hell and give good service, but still, they're disrespecting me. it's their job to be cheery.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    I put a couple dollars on the table as soon as I sit down.... and after every mistake I see the waiter/waitress make I remove a dollar (obviuosly) and continue to do so..... so she/he detremines their own tip...

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    I put a couple dollars on the table as soon as I sit down.... and after every mistake I see the waiter/waitress make I remove a dollar (obviuosly) and continue to do so..... so she/he detremines their own tip...
    that's kind of what my friend did once. except he went ahead and gave the dude the tip. he said "here's a 20, just for doin nothing. now we're not askin much, but for good service" - it was 3:30 am at a waffle house. and this guy throw's around money like it's nothin.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    We only tip in restaurants and cabs.

Cabbies tip depends on how he acts.

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    i dont tips at all (club, bar...)... i have to deal with some rude head sometimes cuz im cheap as hell and i cant take to give 2-3$ of charity to someone just to open a bottle...

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Tipping depends on service and attitude of waiter/waitress(I have had friends not tip for poor tasting food, that's not the servers fault).......here standerd is 15%.......that is for common service with should include: being friendly, checking every so often if I need anything, fast service, and not letting glass become more than half empty(with is a biggie).......if all service is above this than maybe an extra 5% is added.......if less than this.....yep u guest it, the tip will be less as well.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    i used to be a bartender, so i tend to tip on the high side, but if the service is sh*tty, i may not tip at all, that's what a tip is supposed to be, a gratuity for good service, and those people who write in their own tips, i just ignore those a give what i want

IronCy is offline Senior Member
    scott, you have had someone write in their own tip!?!?!
    I would be furious! I hope that never happens to me, I would make a scene!
    -Cy

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I do quite a bit of traveling for the company so I tip pretty well but if the service is crap I make it a small one. If it's good I'll go 20%.

Next time you're on the road..........leave a couple of bucks on the pillow for the maid after your first night. Bet you'll have all kinds of neat little things they don't normally put out. I'll flat out bet you your bed will be turned back and a candy on the pillow. Even if I only stay one night I leave a couple of bucks for the maids.

Rod Farva is offline Associate Member
    Here in the suburbs of NYC in primarily Italian towns some of my friends like to pretend they are Ray Liotta walking Lorraine Bracco into the club through the kitchen just firing tips at everybody (although none of them have the bankroll to do it to the degree Liotta does). I do tip and 9 times out of 10 I overtip a little bit just so I don't look like a $hit (I always have a few singles ready at the barbershop) but for me Tarentino pretty much said everything that needs to be said on the topic:

NICE GUY EDDIE: Okay, everybody cough up green for the little lady.
    NICE GUY EDDIE: C'mon, throw in a buck.

MR. WHITE: Uh-uh. I don't tip.

NICE GUY EDDIE: Whaddaya mean you don't tip?

MR. WHITE: I don't believe in it.

NICE GUY EDDIE: You don't believe in tipping?

MR. PINK: I love this kid, he's a madman, this guy.

MR. BLONDE: Do you have any idea what these ladies make? They make ****.

MR. WHITE: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money, she can quit.

NICE GUY EDDIE: I don't even know a Jew who'd have the balls to say that. So let's get this straight. You never ever tip?

MR. WHITE: I don't tip because society says I gotta. I tip when somebody deserves a tip. When somebody really puts forth an effort, they deserve a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, that ****'s for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doin their job.

MR. BLUE: Our girl was nice.

MR. WHITE: Our girl was okay. She didn't do anything special.

MR. BLONDE: What's something special, take ya in the kitchen and suck your dick?

NICE GUY EDDIE: I'd go over twelve percent for that.

MR. WHITE Look, I ordered coffee. Now we've been here a long ****in time, and she's only filled my cup three times. When I order coffee, I want it filled six times.

MR. BLONDE: What if she's too busy?

MR. WHITE: The words "too busy" shouldn't be in a waitress's vocabulary.

NICE GUY EDDIE: Excuse me, Mr. White, but the last thing you need is another cup of coffee.

MR. WHITE: These ladies aren't starvin to death. They make minimum wage. When I worked for minimum wage, I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tipworthy.

NICE GUY EDDIE: Ahh, now we're getting down to it. It's not just that he's a cheap bastard--

MR. ORANGE: --It is that too--

NICE GUY EDDIE: --It is that too. But it's also he couldn't get a waiter job. You talk like a pissed off dishwasher: "**** those ****s and their ****ing tips."

MR. BLONDE: So you don't care that they're counting on your tip to live?

MR. WHITE: Do you know what this is? It's the world's smallest violin, playing just for the waitresses.

MR. BLONDE: You don't have any idea what you're talking about. These people bust their ass. This is a hard job.
    MR. WHITE: So's working at McDonald's, but you don't feel the need to tip them. They're servin ya food, you should tip em. But no, society says tip these guys over here, but not those guys over there. That's bull****.

MR. ORANGE: They work harder than the kids at McDonald's.

MR. WHITE: Oh yeah, I don't see them cleaning fryers.

MR. BROWN: These people are taxed on the tips they make. When you stiff 'em, you cost them money.

MR. BLONDE: Waitressing is the number one occupation for female non-college graduates in this country. It's the one jab basically any woman can get, and make a living on. The reason is because of tips.

MR. WHITE: **** all that. Hey, I'm very sorry that the government taxes their tips. That's ****ed up. But that ain't my fault. it would appear that waitresses are just one of the many groups the government ****s in the ass on a regular basis. You show me a paper says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it. But what I won't do is play ball. And this non- college bull**** you're telling me, I got two words for that: "Learn to ****in type." Cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent, you're in for a big ****in surprise.

MR. ORANGE: He's convinced me. Give me my dollar back.

JOE: Okay ramblers, let's get to rambling. Wait a minute, who didn't throw in?

MR. ORANGE: Mr. White.

JOE: Mr. White? Why?

MR. ORANGE: He don't tip.

JOE: He don't tip? You don't tip? Why?

MR. ORANGE: He don't believe in it.

JOE: He don't believe in it? You don't believe in it?

MR. ORANGE: Nope.

JOE: Shut up! Cough up the buck, ya cheap bastard, I paid for your god**** breakfast.

MR. WHITE: Because you paid for the breakfast, I'm gonna tip. Normally I wouldn't.

JOE: Whatever. Just throw in your dollar, and let's move. See what I'm dealing with here. Infants. I'm ****in dealin with infants.

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bornbad71
    Tipping depends on service and attitude of waiter/waitress(I have had friends not tip for poor tasting food, that's not the servers fault).......here standerd is 15%.......that is for common service with should include: being friendly, checking every so often if I need anything, fast service, and not letting glass become more than half empty(with is a biggie).......if all service is above this than maybe an extra 5% is added.......if less than this.....yep u guest it, the tip will be less as well.

bb71 pretty much hit the nail on the head for me....I usually dine in more upscale restaurants so the staff usually is more proffesional.Rarely run into a problem..20-25% is the norm for me.

Jugg also brought up a very good point about maids,if your looking for that extra little bit of care a $5 bill on the pillow works wonders.

Happy New Year Bros

peace

DB

Quote Originally Posted by IronCy
    scott, you have had someone write in their own tip!?!?!
    I would be furious! I hope that never happens to me, I would make a scene!
    -Cy
    one of many tricks at the bar, if you have somebody who's using a credit card on there bill, depending on the computer system your using, you can generate a bill with a tip added on to the total in the printout, if they are not paying attention, they will add another tip on top, if somebody was a real asshole, i would do it to them

scott, I would really go ape **** if that happened at a bar or a club, thats not cool. Im already at a disadvantage---if its been a "good" night....I dont need some pric inflating my bill.....
    Jugg, i do alot of business travel too, I have never left a tip for the maids, I might try that on my next trip....hell, I will get to expense it anyways.
    -Cy

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    I do quite a bit of traveling for the company so I tip pretty well but if the service is crap I make it a small one. If it's good I'll go 20%.

Next time you're on the road..........leave a couple of bucks on the pillow for the maid after your first night. Bet you'll have all kinds of neat little things they don't normally put out. I'll flat out bet you your bed will be turned back and a candy on the pillow. Even if I only stay one night I leave a couple of bucks for the maids.
    I travel a lot for the Fire College and also do that... I always leave a fiver on the pillow on the first morning and I kid you not, not only is the room impeccable when I come back, but in most cases any clothes I left on a chair are neatly folded in a laundry bag, I've had thank you notes, newspaper at my door the next morning... and so on...

When travelling I am always stuck eating in restaurants, but I always tip 15-25% then as the fire school is picking up the tab anyways. Waiters do like people on generous expense accounts... we generally don't look at the price of what we order and with a higher bill they get a higher tip.

My sister worked as a waitress when she was in university, it sux arse big time.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by IronCy
    scott, I would really go ape **** if that happened at a bar or a club, thats not cool. Im already at a disadvantage---if its been a "good" night....I dont need some pric inflating my bill.....
    Jugg, i do alot of business travel too, I have never left a tip for the maids, I might try that on my next trip....hell, I will get to expense it anyways.
    -Cy
    don't mean to offend, but if you've never been on the other side, how would you know what we deal with, i'm not saying it's standard operation procedure, but when you get a real asshole, it's either that or a bottle of visine in your drink

Quote Originally Posted by scottninpo
    don't mean to offend, but if you've never been on the other side, how would you know what we deal with, i'm not saying it's standard operation procedure, but when you get a real asshole, it's either that or a bottle of visine in your drink
    Everybody deals with pricks at their job. Doesn't mean they get to steal from them or put things in what they drink/eat.

I heard a radio segment on the Ron & Fez show a while back with people who worked in fast food places calling in and telling what they did to people's food who they didn't like. It was horrendous.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    I travel a lot for the Fire College and also do that... I always leave a fiver on the pillow on the first morning and I kid you not, not only is the room impeccable when I come back, but in most cases any clothes I left on a chair are neatly folded in a laundry bag, I've had thank you notes, newspaper at my door the next morning... and so on...

When travelling I am always stuck eating in restaurants, but I always tip 15-25% then as the fire school is picking up the tab anyways. Waiters do like people on generous expense accounts... we generally don't look at the price of what we order and with a higher bill they get a higher tip.

My sister worked as a waitress when she was in university, it sux arse big time.

Red
    That's what I'm talking bout Red. No one remebers the maids so they really dig it when someone does.

A few trips back a few of us are on the road and staying in seperate rooms. The other guys were complaining that they needed more towels and some other stuff...........I told them to stop by my room. When they walked in they saw all kinds of stuff they didn't have................they left a tip the next morning. hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Farva
    Everybody deals with pricks at their job. Doesn't mean they get to steal from them or put things in what they drink/eat.

I heard a radio segment on the Ron & Fez show a while back with people who worked in fast food places calling in and telling what they did to people's food who they didn't like. It was horrendous.
    people try to steal from the bar all the time!!! like i said, if you've never dealt with it, don't comment on how horrible it is, i'm not saying either one is right, but it's the way it is, if you're horrified that it happens, what can i say, deal with it, as long as you're not an asshole, don't worry about, things like that are revenge tools, not random acts

Tainting people's food/drink is uncalled for. Its not my fault those people are in that line of work. I didnt make them fill out that job app. I tend to tip very generously, b/c I know thats how these people make their living....and probably tip them better, just b/c I know that they will encounter assholes who stiff them on a daily basis......BUT, if you are in that line of work, its your choice, so you have to expect to get stiffed....probably more often then you would like.
    -Cy

Ironcy is right. It's not my fault that these people took such "horrible" jobs. I don't have to do something or experience it firsthand to know a little something about it. I've never been an astronaut but I'm pretty sure that'd be something amazing to do. I've never been a mortician but I'm pretty sure that would suck (no offence to moricians out there - I have a buddy who does that stuff).

What amount of misbehavior warrants the theft/visine treatment? Not tipping enough? Holding up a twenty dollar bill inappropriately? I can't tell you how many times I've been pissed at bartenders because they wait on people who clearly got to the bar after me for whatever reason. I understand that they can't possibly keep of track of these things so I normally don't give it much thought. I totally understand serving the girl with the big time cleavage first but when it happens several times in a row in a bar that's not insanely crowded, I'm pissed. Not like he can't see me at 6'3" 270. Does that mean that I can now start stealing his tips off of the bar because he snubbed me?

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Rod Farva......thank you for the Reservior Dogs flashback!! I **** you not I was thinking of putting that in my original post but I thought it might be too long and people wouldn't read the whole thing.

Some good observations here from the people of AR. What about tipping your barber/hairstylists? I tip my barber well, but I guarantee if I tried to give him a 50% he wouldn't even take it. Why? Because it's charity. And what of the irrationality of the entire tipping process? I can think of no other situation where people are so willing to give (and yes tipping is giving because it's optional) away their hard earned cash.

50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    Well, I agree with scott all the way. I wait tables and nothing is more irritating than you providing good service and then getting the shaft. Look, all you 15% tippers here is the deal since you don't work in my line of work(which I am not complaining at all). Basically, when you go out to eat, you are making the decision to take up someone's table. I refer to it as my realestate. I got 4 or 5 tables. If you come in and eat some cheap ass food like burgers and drink water then yeah, your bill will be like 15 so you leave 2 bucks. I hate those people. You know why? Because the next party that walked in could have sat in your place. They could be like dabull and order steaks and drink beer and their bill could be $70. If the same 15% is followed you get 10 bucks. I just made an extra 8 bucks off one table and would have done the same amount of work. Bottom line, you take up the space that some one else could have used to leave a way better tip. I will never leave less than 5 a meal. I don't tip by percentage because it is old fashioned. Look back at my example. 2 burgers=12 bucks, 2 steaks=25/30 bucks. I pay for the service and not a percentage of the bill as you are thanking them for the service. Don't be cheap, leave a couple extra bucks. It sucks when you make $2 an hour. My paychecks for 50 hours of work are about 25 dollars. Start tipping for each person. Good rule of thumb, $3 a person and I'd be happy. Just the way I see it.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    lemme ask you this though. are you that guy who breaks out the **** tip card everytime the check comes ?? i knew a guy who did that once. total stingy (won't say the religion name) with his cash. he tipped 15 % to the dime. i mean c'mon, you spend 10 bucks on a meal, throw in 2 or 3. it's that easy.

mass junkie is offline banned
    I always tip before I even order my food to insure proper service.......it seems to work better that way...that has always been something that has always stuck with me because if i ever had to work somewhere that I made tips...I would want to be tipped good....

again, rod, you've proven with your own statement why if your not in my postition, don't comment, of course i'm going to pay attention to the girl, what kind of stupid question is that??? unless you're going to let your girlfriend suck my dick after work, i'm going to service the person who probably will, by the way, it's not such a horrible job, i've personally made a lot more money while bartending than i do now with a "respectable" job, and i got laid a hell of a lot more

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    It's all about personality for me, if whoever is the server they better be doing a good job, and act like they are enjoying themselves, I don't feel sorry for waiters or waitresses who suck... I guess i tip 30% on up...It helps if you have blonde hair fake tits and a pretty smile...

oh well, haha...thats me

Hey Scott...

Try looking at my post again and this time when you see the part where I put all the letters together in rows try 'reading' them. It will help you understand what I meant. Judging by your reply to me I don't think you did this last time.

I know a few bartenders and I know I'd love to my days free all through the summer time. I'd love to have a job where customers buy me shots or give me money for doing my job. I wouldn't mind if a few half-buzzed scantily clad females came up and decided to start flirting me so I would pay more attention to them when they wanted a drink. I wouldn't mind working 3 nights and making as much as I do now during 5 days at a conventional job. Heck...I don't see too many drawbacks to this whole bartender gig at all. I don't see what's so tough about it.

It's not like people were born and there was some guy with a big clipboard standing there going "ok - you're a bartender...you're a mechanic...you're a mailman...you're a waitress,...". If you don't like your job then get a new one. By the same token I do play by society's rules and like I said...if anything I overtip. If I go out with a group of friends the waitress/bartender is going to make some decent coin off of us every time because nobody wants to be looked at as the cheapskate.

I work in an office...can I put a tip jar on my desk for the times I go above and beyond to help somebody out? I'm not even talking about doing an average job or even a sub-par job which is what most people expect to be tipped for today. At some point can I cash in all of those "thanks a lot - you really helped me out on this one" comments for some money?

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    I thought this was going to be about cow tipping. I think i'll go tomorrow night.

so rod, what exactly is your point on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by scottninpo
    so rod, what exactly is your point on this one?
    I dunno. I forget now. I'm just going to go read the Reservoir Dogs quote again.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    SCOTT. In regards to that Grotuity ALREADY added on to the tab when it is not REGULARLY a part of the bill such as you were talking about you doing to some assholes and then they add another tip to it.
    Some bartender did that to me once. The bill was 500 dollars for drinks. The tip I GAVE HIM was 50. Im sure I was a dick to him cause I ordered a lot of drinks and I still had SHI TTY service from him because he was TOO BUSY FUKCING around with the girls.
    He tried doing that same thing to me. Added his own tip on the bill without telling me and it is not normal procedure. Come Monday morning, I examine my receipt and wonder why it is 75 dollars more than what I thought.
    Sure enough, he made me double tip him. FUKC THAT.
    I called up my credit card co. and had the transaction removed. I went over to the bar on Tuesday night and talked to the manager telling him if DISPUTED my credit card reversal, I would sue the siht out of them for taking advantage of their customers like that.

Needless to say, the bartender does not like me anymore, I saved 650 dollars and the bartender did not get ANY TIP.

That is CHICKEN SIHT.

like you said, you were probably being an asshole

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 50%Natural
    Well, I agree with scott all the way. I wait tables and nothing is more irritating than you providing good service and then getting the shaft. Look, all you 15% tippers here is the deal since you don't work in my line of work(which I am not complaining at all). Basically, when you go out to eat, you are making the decision to take up someone's table. I refer to it as my realestate. I got 4 or 5 tables. If you come in and eat some cheap ass food like burgers and drink water then yeah, your bill will be like 15 so you leave 2 bucks. I hate those people. You know why? Because the next party that walked in could have sat in your place. They could be like dabull and order steaks and drink beer and their bill could be $70. If the same 15% is followed you get 10 bucks. I just made an extra 8 bucks off one table and would have done the same amount of work. Bottom line, you take up the space that some one else could have used to leave a way better tip. I will never leave less than 5 a meal. I don't tip by percentage because it is old fashioned. Look back at my example. 2 burgers=12 bucks, 2 steaks=25/30 bucks. I pay for the service and not a percentage of the bill as you are thanking them for the service. Don't be cheap, leave a couple extra bucks. It sucks when you make $2 an hour. My paychecks for 50 hours of work are about 25 dollars. Start tipping for each person. Good rule of thumb, $3 a person and I'd be happy. Just the way I see it.

BOTTOM LINE. You can not expect to wait on tables with guys ordering 50 dollars or more of food. It doesnt work that way. There will ALWAYS be tables with guys ordering 5 dollars. Expect that in your routine and you wont be dissapointed. Dont look at the guy ordering 5 dollars of food as taking up space. Look at is "hey, this is a simple order where I dont have to haul out a barrel of food for the entire table.
    If any of you tip getters complain about 15 percent, then get another job.
    Ordering food for a birthday party is usually around 100 dollars for about 5 people. 15-20 dollars to bring there food which takes maybe 10 ENTIRE minutes of YOUR TIME is pretty **** good.

Seeing TIP JARS at the Mcdonalds counter and every other counter now adays is A JOKE. Tip you to get me my fukcing cheeseburger or make my coffee is an insult to me. You all can take that tip jar and shove it up your ass. The most you will get from me is 4 pennies cause I hate pennies. Dirty filthy little copper germ infested trinkets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information