Exclamation Need Help from lawyers, realitors, legal knowledge

I live in a House in va, 1 floor 3 bedrooms 1 bathroom. In the kitchen there is a door leading down stairs to the unfinished basement. In the basement is the furnace, gas pipes, cable tv lines, phone line, fuse box, and hot water heater. Now I was wondering if this is legal to lock this basement so we have no access to it? I mean it cant be right because it has to be a fire hazard or some violation? There reason for doing this is to limit fraternity partys and fraternitys ruining houses in the area. If this is legal can anyone help me prove it?

Thanks in advance.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by groundandpoundpwr21
    I live in a House in va, 1 floor 3 bedrooms 1 bathroom. In the kitchen there is a door leading down stairs to the unfinished basement. In the basement is the furnace, gas pipes, cable tv lines, phone line, fuse box, and hot water heater. Now I was wondering if this is legal to lock this basement so we have no access to it? I mean it cant be right because it has to be a fire hazard or some violation? There reason for doing this is to limit fraternity partys and fraternitys ruining houses in the area. If this is legal can anyone help me prove it?

Thanks in advance.
    If you're renting it, i can't imagine it's legal. An idea, keep blowing fuses and calling your landlord to come fix them. Sooner or later he's going to get sick of it and just unlock the **** thing. You could also just call a locksmith.

Seaoro693 is offline Junior Member
    dont know about va specfics but in ma tennants legally must be able to get to the electrical overcurrent disconecting means

I know Ive tried saying those things. I need statues or laws. Im thinking a locksmith will make a spare key for it if i bring it to them?

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by groundandpoundpwr21
    I know Ive tried saying those things. I need statues or laws. Im thinking a locksmith will make a spare key for it if i bring it to them?
    Locksmiths will definitely do such a thing.. but for that you need the key.

Seaoro693 is offline Junior Member
    call the housing authority or whoever manages these issues in your area

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Call the fire department, tell 'em what's going on. They'll likely call the landlord to come unlock the door within the hour. Or maybe they'll fine him and then tell him to unlock the door . . .

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    Is it written in the lease agreement?... It should declare everything you are renting and entitled to there...If you are renting a 3 bedroom 1 bath house with an unfinshed basement...that means you are paying rent to live in a 3 bedroom 1 bathroom house with an unfinished basement...lol...that is your basement, You are paying rent for that house, and that basement is part of your house... unless the owners put that the basement is off limits in the agreement...otherwise that is a binding contract that states everything that is included in your rent...
    Last edited by monster.; 01-04-2004 at 04:06 AM.

LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    Hmmm..not my area of speacialty here but I think it has to do with contractual law. Im finishing a bachelors degree in criminal law and I just scraped the surface on contract laws.

Is it a criminal violation? Maybe.

Probably a health code violation which will lead to a criminal due to the potential hazard of the "no access" to the house utility devices and basement. Mainly an ajoining room to the house for fire hazard.

I would check with the city county building or local municipal building for city codes+violations. Might have a manual specific for renting codes and steps to take per se violation. I've seen it. Explain to them at the county building what is going on and they should direct you.

I wish I could advice you more but thats the best I can do. Im sure its a city violation. At most it could be a contractual violation via lease agreement.

You could file in court this violation and let a magistrate or judge make a decision. Most of the time its free or its a small fee. Lawyers aren't necessary. Its only a tenant/landlord dispute.

Do some research at the county building and good luck.
    Last edited by LuvMyRoids; 01-04-2004 at 08:16 AM.

Thread Information