Babyweight is offline Female Member

A Complicated Position

I'm in.... (so now that I have some peoples attention), more on a serious note regarding more pet woes.

Ever since my last post 24 hours ago in regards to my dog having health issues, things have actually gotten worse.... and $500 dollars later, the vet still doesn't know whats wrong with him, and has decided to keep him in emergency another night. In the past month between both of my dogs, I have already spent almost $1000 from vaccinations, blood tests, my other dog has seizures, and now this one has some kind of viral infection and can't even lift his head..he is now on av's and I feel so bad for him.
    My only problem is, I don't know how much longer I can take this...Financially it is killing me, but when I look at him, I feel like I am the one who is responsible for him...afterall, our pets do look up to us to take care of them.

My situation is this...I already had one dog who is a little older and is pretty much house trained. When I got a better job which called for 10-12 hour days, I made a decision to get my dog another companion.. I went online to a min pin rescue for poor animals that have been either mistreated or just left behind...so this is when I decided to adopt. It has almost been a year, and I have had so many problems with this poor fella. He has the greatest demeanor, but is just a pure rough, and kinda crazy dog...But lately he has been into everything, eats anything, and I have no control ove him anymore..
    My debate is whether or not I should go ahead and put him back up for adoption. My family is a little disturbed with me because they said it would be irresponsible that once you decide to take in an animal that it is alot of work...which I agree. But come on!! So they are giving me the guilt trip saying it isn't fair to the poor dog, but quite frankly I don't think I can afford all these problems. So what I'd like to know is ....any thoughts from anyone????
    I just feel so guilty, but I can only take so much.

Sorry my rant is so long...I'm just a little depressed, thats all.
    Thanks BW

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Tough situation for sure, and why we always got pet health insurance (i'm sure most don't even know it exists) with all of our pets. I personally couldn't, and wouldn't, get rid of it, but I admit it would be foolish to do so. If the financial burden is such that you realistically can no longer provide the best life for the dog as a result, then you HAVE to get rid of it, imo.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Darlin.... I understand what you are going through. First off, you have tried your best to give this pup what it needs. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. I say find someone who is willing to take on the responsibilty and that can give him what he needs.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    That is a tough one. Personally I would keep working at it for a bit longer. But at the same time there is a limit. That limit for everyone is a little different.

Most vets offer some kind of payment plan. You might want to even consider that as a possible avenue.

ahhhh, I know....whats worse is, I'm one of those people who can't sleep at night just wondering, what if I would have done this or that...
    But it's very hard to find a home for an animal that is already 4 years old....
    What about maybe putting him back in the rescue where I got him from????

BG....I didn't know there was pet insurance....maybe that could be an option for me...who do you have yours from and maybe I can do a search and get some prices.... I mean, these guys cost more than my own health itself.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    You have to watch these pet insurances. To get a plan that completely covers everything can be expensive. But it definelty wouldn't hurt at least looking into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Babyweight

BG....I didn't know there was pet insurance....maybe that could be an option for me...who do you have yours from and maybe I can do a search and get some prices.... I mean, these guys cost more than my own health itself.
    My parents always took care of that, but it is becoming more and more common. I don't have a pet now, so I couldn't really tell you...though, if you have, or know someone who has, an issue of cosmo or similar magazine, the leading company has taken to advertising in there of late...the ad is something to the effect of a little puppy and with the words above his head stating "You promised to take care of me...I don't understand the 'can't afford it' part"...sad and somewhat sneaking on the part of the company, but I do know that having it probably saved my dog's life at one point when my family didn't have the money to pay for the whole shibang (my father had jsut quit his job to start his own business)...he went on to live comfortably for another two or three years.

Thanks BG, I'll take a look tonite at these when I get home. Maybe I will have other options before I make any harsh decisions.

Shredz...you are also right about the payment plan....the vet is going to get with me later today about it...only on those the interest is very high...so I'll have to definitely evaluate my best option.

nuke is offline Member
    Baby - He its Nuke....Long Time.
    I understand totally. I have a Black Lab thats a bear in bills.

By the way Shredz I only pay 11.95 a month for covereage at Petsmart here in Tampa. ( Banfield is the vet Company in Petsmart )

You can pay as high as 30 plus dollars a month. I get 20 % of meds and all his annuals and shts and crap are free. Look into it. I save at LEAST 200 bucks per visit.

Good Luck Girl !

Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    Baby - He its Nuke....Long Time.
    I understand totally. I have a Black Lab thats a bear in bills.

By the way Shredz I only pay 11.95 a month for covereage at Petsmart here in Tampa. ( Banfield is the vet Company in Petsmart )

You can pay as high as 30 plus dollars a month. I get 20 % of meds and all his annuals and shts and crap are free. Look into it. I save at LEAST 200 bucks per visit.

Good Luck Girl !
    Hey how are you!!!!
    Well I am near a PetSmart here in Tampa over where I work, so I'll go check it out asap. $11.95 is definitely affordable... I'll just have to limit myself down a 12-pak a month.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    My room mate had to put her cat down on Christmas day. It cost her 400 dollars just to find out that the cat had liquid in his lungs. It wasnt even my cat but I still miss him. Im glad I held it before I last saw it since I thought it was kinda sick.
    Its a tough decision. You will ALWAYS think back to the day you made the decision and it will hurt either way. You just have to look at the long haul and decide what is best for both. Maybe someone is looking for that type of dog and will adopt him and be more financilly opt to take care of him.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    To me, a pet is like a member of the family. I would forget about the money because it's only temporary and help the little guy get the best vetrinary treatment available. I would way rather forego a vacation and some new clothing than have to give away my little buddy. Arf Arf!

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Well.... to answer your original issue..

sometimes a pet that you have bonded with this would be an issue..

Lets say your "family" took in a 12 boy... and the boy ended up endangering the family.. fires, drugs in the house.. stealing..

what to do..

now a person and a pet are 2 different things.. but not to some people..

Others will put an animal down if they have the slightest inperfection..

It's time for you to decide who you need/want to make happy.. you or your family..

Peace
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Itīs not that hard finding people that take care of older animals, if you talk to some people that breeds dogs they could possible help you.

I too know how hard it is to put a animal down, i hate it but if the animal is suffering the best choice is to put it down. And since the vet dosent know whats wrong with him itīs the best thing. No animal should be let to suffer.

Btw pet insurance is very important!! Goes for cats, dogs etc.

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    Ahhhh that is a tough situation... It is hard to give them up since you take them in. It is your responsibility to take care of them they are kinda like kids. But in this situation you only can do so much. Especially fianancially.. Keep trying the adoption has to be someone out there.
    check this out http://www.petinsurance.com.
    vets usually have a paymeny plan.. Good luck Hun. from one dog luva to another..

nuke is offline Member
    Im good Baby.. Long time !

Im back and better than ever. Take care of that poochy.
    Hey, why limit it to on 12 pak when you can have me buy beers 4 ya at o'brians on Dale Mabry. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    Im good Baby.. Long time !

Im back and better than ever. Take care of that poochy.
    Hey, why limit it to on 12 pak when you can have me buy beers 4 ya at o'brians on Dale Mabry. :-)

Definitely let me know when... that's about 3 minutes from my house.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Tough call....I like my pets more than alot of people that I know.........Well whatever decision that you decide to make I hope it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    Tough call....I like my pets more than alot of people that I know.........Well whatever decision that you decide to make I hope it works out for you.
    Yep, you got that right mass.....and I love that the little guys don't talk back!! lol

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    It's hard for me to like little dogs.. i feel like they're more like cats.

Thread Information