BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member

Warrior, DocM.....

Guys I'm asking ya'll because you understand how I feel..... what's ya'lls outlook on re-enlisting. I've been toying with the idea ever since I got out and now that I'm single again... it's really been on my mind. I've talked with my old CO and the way it looks is that I'd go in front of a medical review board and prove that I'm fully capable for active duty. Once that part clears I will again have to retake the BUDDS qualifying tests... or what ever the hell they're calling them now. If that goes well I'd be sworn in, go through about 6 months of training to freshen up on my skills and be placed back with my original Team. It all sounds so **** tempting and I know I can do it.... just slightly unsure if it's what I really want or if it's that feeling we all have about 2-3 days after we got discharged.... ya'll know what I'm talking about right? ANyways... give me ya'lls opinions on it.... I know both of ya'll probably get back into it given the chance...

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    Guys I'm asking ya'll because you understand how I feel..... what's ya'lls outlook on re-enlisting. I've been toying with the idea ever since I got out and now that I'm single again... it's really been on my mind. I've talked with my old CO and the way it looks is that I'd go in front of a medical review board and prove that I'm fully capable for active duty. Once that part clears I will again have to retake the BUDDS qualifying tests... or what ever the hell they're calling them now. If that goes well I'd be sworn in, go through about 6 months of training to freshen up on my skills and be placed back with my original Team. It all sounds so **** tempting and I know I can do it.... just slightly unsure if it's what I really want or if it's that feeling we all have about 2-3 days after we got discharged.... ya'll know what I'm talking about right? ANyways... give me ya'lls opinions on it.... I know both of ya'll probably get back into it given the chance...
    What about your kids bro?

They'll be taken care of.... I already have that all worked out.

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    Where would you be stationed? How long will you be away from your kids? I think thats the most important issue...

I'd be stationed when it's all said and done at Norfolk. I'd see my kids all the time except maybe a few months outta the year, that and when we're on job.... other than that I'd be on base.

hercules88 is offline Senior Member
    go for what makes you happy Texan. seems like you have all the angles covered, and you really want to re inlist. as long as the kids are taken care of, take care of yourself.

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    Wow... If that is what ur hart tell u, u want to do... Then do it... SOunds like u have already put alot of thought into this u know. So I would say go for it, i know my self that u never want to live life with anything u regret... Regrets will stay with u untill the day u die bro..

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    If money is not a motive here, I'd say put all your time and dedication into competing instead. It will be a lot less aggravation for your kids and I bet just as self-rewarding.

~US~
    Last edited by usualsuspect; 01-06-2004 at 05:15 PM.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Thought about it myself... same situation....

Especially after my brother in law died 2 months ago...

The question is... will you be of more good to your family here.. or there..

Good luck either way...................
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    When you say budds is that, Navy SEALS budds... BT i remember your last post about that No Holds Barred match you were interested in...looks like you need a hobby.. Like i said before, If you are capable and that will make you happy go for it...

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Are you a SEAL and what was your BUDS class number? Bro ya got to do what is in your heart.

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    BigT..I can say without a doubt, that if given the chance, I would drop the Doc job in a minute..Doc pay is a hell of a lot better, but the team unity is something that can't be replaced..I have been out for quite a while and I still miss it..All of it..Even the bull****..I think if I have any regrets in my life, it's getting out and going in a totally different direction..But my time is past now and I have to make the best of my future, which instead of shooting people, I get to use a scalpel on them..Not too bad I guess..

Bro, if it means anything coming from me, then i would say as long as your kids are taken care of and you can still be a part of their lives, then go for it..If you don't, then you may spend the rest of your life regretting it..You know that in the Teams, or any special operations community, it tends to be a younger man's playground, so act now while you still have your youth..I know that if I could spin back the clock, I would have finished Medical School and then re-enlisted, but I didn't..Don't make the same mistake if it's really in your heart..

And before you post your BUDS class number here, remember that is easily accessible and would be a little more revealing of your name and personal information..If you get my drift..Good luck in whatever you do..

Doc M

navydevildoc is offline Associate Member
    Hell, I fell for the same feelings when I got out about 8 months ago now, I ended up going the "easy" route and went active reserves. It gets me my Navy fix, I get to work with a great group of guys, and know that if it hits the fan, I can do something about it. Of course, being in the teams precludes the reserves, doesn't it?

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Bro, I'll put in my 1 1/2 cents, cause I work here on base and know some ins and outs...

Re-enlist.. your the same age as me (im 1 month older ) and by 40... retirement and a nice pension to set aside and help you out. A lot of the guys I work with are retired military and are set financially because of it. Shut... 2 guys I work with are retired Delta.. Cool stories!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc M
    BigT..I can say without a doubt, that if given the chance, I would drop the Doc job in a minute..Doc pay is a hell of a lot better, but the team unity is something that can't be replaced..I have been out for quite a while and I still miss it..All of it..Even the bull****..I think if I have any regrets in my life, it's getting out and going in a totally different direction..But my time is past now and I have to make the best of my future, which instead of shooting people, I get to use a scalpel on them..Not too bad I guess..

Bro, if it means anything coming from me, then i would say as long as your kids are taken care of and you can still be a part of their lives, then go for it..If you don't, then you may spend the rest of your life regretting it..You know that in the Teams, or any special operations community, it tends to be a younger man's playground, so act now while you still have your youth..I know that if I could spin back the clock, I would have finished Medical School and then re-enlisted, but I didn't..Don't make the same mistake if it's really in your heart..

And before you post your BUDS class number here, remember that is easily accessible and would be a little more revealing of your name and personal information..If you get my drift..Good luck in whatever you do..

Doc M
    I've been waiting to hear from you on this. Doc ya make some good points... I need to sit down and make sure i can do this and still be a good father. being involved with the teams is a young mans game.... being 26, I'm old in SEAL standards but I feel like I can do it. Like I said I'm not sure if it's something I really want to do or just those feelings we have when dischargewd... thanks Doc.....

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    BT,
    Despite being assigned to NATO..I am Navy..If you want the skinny, current regs., changes etc etc..PM me. BUD/S requirements for new enlistees , NAVETS, and "BUD/S Duds" have all changed recently.
    Last edited by BamaSlamma; 01-06-2004 at 11:01 PM.

thanks Bama....as far as I was told since I'm still a qualified SEAL so I just more or less have to prove I'm still capable and than go through a refresher.

peam is offline Suspended
    the kids will be taken care of who darlin? I didn't read anyone elses replies but... nothing can substitue being raised by your own father... guess it's just with my boyfriend going over there.... **** man... stay state side and hang out with me! I need someone to pass the time with.... and your kids... man... no... stay home

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I thought about it... tried to get my 5 back and they said they couldn't... after 5 years in and a good rack going I would deffinitly be a seasoned lance cooley... I am a grown man now with bills - not some young HS shmuck... I need the rank back... but I did hear that a larger recruiting command then what I talked to could get me my rank back...

I think I got out more because I was pissed at my current SNCOIC and was recently divorced... but I should have stayed in. The civilian job market ain't as lucrative as I thought it would be (unless you got an MD )... and not nearly as frickin' interesting!

As you know, I am already in support of military operations in the Middle East - but I am applying for another civilian gig... if I don't get that... I am pretty certain I will try and get back in... besides, this Arab land is driving me crazy lately... but my luck - I would get orders right back over here

But I'll have to start running again (lose the gear) and drop some frickin' MASS

Well best of luck to ya Warrior... you know ya got nothing but respect from me. I hope whatever the outcome, that it's what ya want. Hell if I get back in who knows... I'm sure our paths will cross someday. I've thought about getting involed in the civilian sector such as yourself.... just not sure where to start lookin. As for bills... well let's just say that since I recently cut my losses I don't really have any except clothes, food, and a roof for my kiddies. My folks would have them while I'm away and when I am stateside or not out to sea... they'd be with me. Military isn't easy on families... but they adjust. I miss the responsibility of what I did, I miss my men, and I miss the overall satisfaction of what I did. I've got an appointment tomorrow with the local recruiter.... some **** no nothing of a RM. This is his first week being a recruiter...so I guess I better go break him in. I've been talking to my old CO and my Master Chief (old bastard still givin them hell in S.D.) and so far my chances of getting back in and reassigned to my old Team look very promising. I'll keep ya'll up to date on how it goes... my biggest obstacle is getting past the Naval Medical Review Board... bunch of old hard asses.... but with everything that's going on in Iraq and around the world they may be willing to bend a little to get someone with my experience back into the swing of things. One thing I was told... was do to my age (26 is old in the military ) and the length of time I've been away, I may just be an instructor at BUDD's for awhile until I get back in the swing of things. We'll see.... DocM, Warrior... thanks for responding and giving me ya'lls .02 on this.

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Hey Tex..... Just my 2 cents....

I'm coming to the end of my career.....I have less than 1.5 yr to go and I retire. The good part is....I will have that pension check at the ripe old age of 38. I've finished my education (BS in Criminal Justice) and I've been to some interesting places over 18 yrs.

I have a few friends in from San Diego in the Teams and was lucky enough to hang out around the Team 5 area and got to know some awesome guys. You have been there so you know the life....Work hard and play even harder. I understand why you want to go back on some levels. Once it's in your blood....seems hard to let it go.

You have to do what makes you happy. If you can take care of your family (of course they will now have the added benifits of your military career ...medical, dental, commissary, etc) and make yourself happy in the long run....hey, GO FOR IT. The only thing I would say is, make sure that while you are in, and while you are on shore duty......take advantage of the 100% tuition assistance and if you don't already have it.....get a degree in something so that when you leave again....if it's to retire or move on.....you have something to fall back on.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

C.B.

Well best of luck to ya Warrior... you know ya got nothing but respect from me. I hope whatever the outcome, that it's what ya want. Hell if I get back in who knows... I'm sure our paths will cross someday. I've thought about getting involed in the civilian sector such as yourself.... just not sure where to start lookin. As for bills... well let's just say that since I recently cut my losses I don't really have any except clothes, food, and a roof for my kiddies. My folks would have them while I'm away and when I am stateside or not out to sea... they'd be with me. Military isn't easy on families... but they adjust. I miss the responsibility of what I did, I miss my men, and I miss the overall satisfaction of what I did. I've got an appointment tomorrow with the local recruiter.... some **** no nothing of a RM. This is his first week being a recruiter...so I guess I better go break him in. I've been talking to my old CO and my Master Chief (old bastard still givin them hell in S.D.) and so far my chances of getting back in and reassigned to my old Team look very promising. I'll keep ya'll up to date on how it goes... my biggest obstacle is getting past the Naval Medical Review Board... bunch of old hard asses.... but with everything that's going on in Iraq and around the world they may be willing to bend a little to get someone with my experience back into the swing of things. One thing I was told... was do to my age (26 is old in the military ) and the length of time I've been away, I may just be an instructor at BUDD's for awhile until I get back in the swing of things. We'll see.... DocM, Warrior... thanks for responding and giving me ya'lls .02 on this.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

Quote Originally Posted by Commando_Barbi
    Hey Tex..... Just my 2 cents....

I'm coming to the end of my career.....I have less than 1.5 yr to go and I retire. The good part is....I will have that pension check at the ripe old age of 38. I've finished my education (BS in Criminal Justice) and I've been to some interesting places over 18 yrs.

I have a few friends in from San Diego in the Teams and was lucky enough to hang out around the Team 5 area and got to know some awesome guys. You have been there so you know the life....Work hard and play even harder. I understand why you want to go back on some levels. Once it's in your blood....seems hard to let it go.

You have to do what makes you happy. If you can take care of your family (of course they will now have the added benifits of your military career ...medical, dental, commissary, etc) and make yourself happy in the long run....hey, GO FOR IT. The only thing I would say is, make sure that while you are in, and while you are on shore duty......take advantage of the 100% tuition assistance and if you don't already have it.....get a degree in something so that when you leave again....if it's to retire or move on.....you have something to fall back on.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

C.B.
    Thanks darlin.... I was wondering if you'd chime in..... Team 5 huh.... I may have to chat with ya....I know them SOB's. Good luck on your retirement... it's rough getting that check and benefits and having to start over at the ripe old age of 38. I was using the tuition program whe nI was in and will definitely use it again....... thanks for your support in this. And good luck getting used to being a civi again.... took me forever to adjust and I was only in a few years.

Thanks darlin.... I was wondering if you'd chime in..... Team 5 huh.... I may have to chat with ya....I know them SOB's. Good luck on your retirement... it's rough getting that check and benefits and having to start over at the ripe old age of 38. I was using the tuition program whe nI was in and will definitely use it again....... thanks for your support in this. And good luck getting used to being a civi again.... took me forever to adjust and I was only in a few years.
    LOL I used to love walking up in there. The first time I went in I was in PT gear. There aren't too many females behind the quarterdeck. Second time I went back.....I was in uniform. They don't see too many female Chief's around there either.....and the ones they have around....are....well...they seem to prefer women. For a long time the CO thought I was married to my friend...cause he was in a bad accident on the way to set up an ORE near LA and I was the one that got him to all his appointments, etc. His real girlfriend wasn't too thrilled. HEHEHEHE. She was a BIOTCH anyway.

Man I miss San Diego.

Hopefully by the end of the next 6 months, I will be a reserve police officer....which should help me transition into a paid position on the force. :-)

Have a good one....off to the races...(work yech)
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

Well, I have no military experience nor do I ever want to go that way (unless my country needs me of course), it's just not my chosen path... so I can't really say much about this.

But in wanting to "go back" the only thing I can comment on is the kids. Once you become a dad, your life isn't yours anymore, it belongs to your family. Any decision you make has to be based on their best interests.

If going back to active service is in the whole family's best interests, then don't hesitate, do it now... but if you have doubts about that then you'll have to put your thinking cap on and seriously re-evaluate the whole idea... and unfortunately that is not a decision anyone but you AND your family will be able to make.

Good luck bro, and there is no "wrong" choice here...

Red

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Alright, I’ll play devils advocate here…………….

First off you have children and they come first in all plans. The plans, hopes and dreams we have for ourselves take a back seat when it comes to our children, you know this already. Once you have children everything changes. You know you are going to be “away” a lot more than you say. Once you sign on that dotted line you’ll do as they say when they say and they give no thought to your family (I’m being general here, I’m not saying the military is against family……far from it, they want you to have a family but they want you to have a whole family…one where another partner can take care of things while you are on duty). Not to mention you have young children, children that now no longer have a mother at home (we all know you’re a mother just not the one I’m talking about hahaha). I’m sure they are doing fine but they have you there now. That might not be the case when you aren’t. They need you there as much as possible right now. To take off and place them in other hands (I’ve no doubt they will be in capable hands) for extended periods of time you’ll become the absent father figure. How many bros and bronettes on this board have resentment for the father/mother that was never there?

You have a son correct? Everyone knows a boy needs a male figure in his life, especially young boys, and there will NEVER be a better person to do the job than his father. And don’t even get me started on daughters………..you think they are a handful now? Just wait till they hit their teens. Both will have lots of things going on in their lives and they are going to want you there to share their accomplishments……..and to be there when things go wrong. They are going to want to hear you say “I love you” in person, not over a phone and not at 3 in the morning because it was the only time you could call. When they are sick they are going to want the person they trust/love/admire the most to be there to tell them they will be better………….that’s you bro.

T your life is in a state of flux right now. You have a lot of important things going on and it is demanding more of you mentally. Of course everyone says “do what makes you happy” (nothing wrong with that at all) and if you were single this wouldn’t even be an issue however that is not the case and this is the whole reason for your struggle with this issue.

Just know that reactions to things we do today will not manifest itself overnight and can come back to haunt us a lot further down the road…………and in some cases they will haunt us forever. I want so bad to give you some examples of the plans I’ve had to change and things I’ve had to sacrifice for my family but this is not about me………….this is about you. You’ve some serious soul searching to do bro and when you’ve come to a decision take another month and think about it again. Then do what you decide is the best and move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando_Barbi
    LOL I used to love walking up in there. The first time I went in I was in PT gear. There aren't too many females behind the quarterdeck. Second time I went back.....I was in uniform. They don't see too many female Chief's around there either.....and the ones they have around....are....well...they seem to prefer women. For a long time the CO thought I was married to my friend...cause he was in a bad accident on the way to set up an ORE near LA and I was the one that got him to all his appointments, etc. His real girlfriend wasn't too thrilled. HEHEHEHE. She was a BIOTCH anyway.

Man I miss San Diego.

Hopefully by the end of the next 6 months, I will be a reserve police officer....which should help me transition into a paid position on the force. :-)

Have a good one....off to the races...(work yech)
    I bet ya used to get some looks.... women, especially lookers, are a rare commodity around those sort of places. I'm surprised I never ran into ya.... I've seen your pics and would remember seeing ya. I was there on and off though... I hope it all goes well for ya.

Well Jugg... I have thought about the kids. They will have the benefits that no civi job can beat, my folks would take care ofthem while I go through training and if need be.. I can always put in for the instructor position at BUDD's... still work odd hours but I'll be home every night unless **** happens somewhere and duty calls. This is something I'm not rushing into, it's something I have given alot of thought and am taking baby steps towards actually doing. I still have some obstacles to overcome to make it happen and if any one thing goes wrong... I'm not getting in. Thanks for all the advice.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Well I was just wondering what class you grad in cause I had a very good friend in 139 by no means was I going to do any research and try to find out who you were bro. I am ex Navy EOD, and knew alot of you. No harm intended, but I can say one thing don't be lying on your death bed saying I wish I had done that. Even though you have already done it and served. While in I didnt have kids and dont think I would re-enlist now because I now have 2 rugrats.

Well Jugg... I have thought about the kids. They will have the benefits that no civi job can beat, my folks would take care ofthem while I go through training and if need be.. I can always put in for the instructor position at BUDD's... still work odd hours but I'll be home every night unless **** happens somewhere and duty calls. This is something I'm not rushing into, it's something I have given alot of thought and am taking baby steps towards actually doing. I still have some obstacles to overcome to make it happen and if any one thing goes wrong... I'm not getting in. Thanks for all the advice.
    Being a single parent in the military is difficult but not impossible. I've been doing it for a few years and no one is worse for the wear. You have to have a good support network. You will have to have a Family Care Plan (required by reg) and all the crap that goes with it (power of attorney, etc). There's always someone with a wife that needs to make money and they have great home day care programs. My next door neighbor takes care of mine when I'm on travel. The up side is....medical and dental for your kids, etc.

Joining/rejoining the military is not an easy decision. Oh....did you tell the recruiter that you are a single parent? I am not sure but you might have to sign away custody to your parents while you are going through your training, etc. Make sure you check on that. I could be wrong.....it happens once in a while.

Thread Information