Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~

Just had battery charges filed against me...

What a crock of ****...My buddy and i went out saturday night and 3 guys jumped my friend when he was outside by himself. We later ran into these clowns across the street. it was supposed to be just those 2 guys fighting. I wrapped up one guy to restrain him (never threw any strikes) while my buddy wrecked the other 2 guys and I'm the only 1 with charges against me. I ended up choking the guy unconcious cause he wouldn't calm down. So, this asshole lunged at me and instead of firing off a few shots, i try to restrain him and still end up in trouble. Guess that teaches me to try and be nice about things. I guess I should have stopped on his head after he passed out...

nevaenuf is offline Senior Member
    Man, you can even stangle somebody without everyone getting all pissy about it anymore.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Tut, tut, tut..... And your a Moderator... I hope your proud of yourself

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    charges will probably be dropped, since the other guys were just as guilty. i would get a lawyer if i were you. it sucks shelling out the money, but its worth it in the end.

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    And becuase you do mma fighting they will through the **** book at ya. man would have been better off to just smash them all and atleast deserve it

Quote Originally Posted by ENraged
    And becuase you do mma fighting they will through the **** book at ya. man would have been better off to just smash them all and atleast deserve it
    I'm hoping they will understand that i tried to handle the situation in a non aggressive, non combative way. I've got a belt in BJJ in have all kinds of boxing and kickboxing matches under me. I could have easily broken all kinds of **** on him...

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by ironfist
    I'm hoping they will understand that i tried to handle the situation in a non aggressive, non combative way. I've got a belt in BJJ in have all kinds of boxing and kickboxing matches under me. I could have easily broken all kinds of **** on him...
    You choked the guy unconscious to restrain him? I don't think that's going to go over well in court. Is choking someone considered attempted murder?

miked512 is offline Associate Member
    The fact you were in a violent situation is reason enough to have battery charges filed against you.

Its dumb that you even thought you wouldn't get them and that the violence is justifiable. Self-defense is good, yes, but always expect the repercussions of living in a litigous society when in a violent encounter. Get over it, at least no ones dead. You can do the same thing so don't lose sight of that.

This whole fighting is the answer to conflicts thing is dumb and behooves me but lets me know why humanism just won't ****ing work. People are too ****ing stupid to be reasonable.

*sigh*

I would look up some court cases where police have done the same thing and quote them if it comes to that. I know csome cops have knocked people out with the clubs. Ande the guy can come back with he was struggling becuase you were cutting off his oxygen.. And then you com back with all you wanted to do was keep things from getting out of hands you would never hurt a soul out of the ring.. Either way i think it is going to end up with probation not the end of the world. choking is an easy case for both sides

Buddy, from someone's who's been in your position many, many times over the yrs you have my best wishes. Unlike most here who have the luxury of shouting from the sidelines, its a different situation on the field of battle. If the boot was on the other foot, you can bet your bottom dollar the ba$tard would have kicked, punched, stabbed or shot you to death. You've lived to fight another one.
    You have my very best of luck with the charges. Can you and your buddies counter charge?.

hercules88 is offline Senior Member
    seems like you were defending yourself, and you should get off on self defense. did you hurt the guy? if you did not than there is no battery. if your boys who threw puches did not get charged than it would be very hard to convict just you. i think you wil be fine.

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Ironfist, bouncer will agree with me here!

Move to Ireland, if you kick someone ass and the police arrives(Garda) they will fight you straight and square and even let you go if you win!

**** I love that country

This is also a good idea if they jumped him earlier then have him press charges on all that where involved. Then in court you have something to barter with

Mart651 is offline The Redneck Queen of the Lounge
    Had the same charges for choking someone out. I was working at a bar at the time so it mat be different but the D.A. ended up dropping the charges before court. I did show up with a lawyer and 17 witnesses. It would have been a third charge of assault with one conviction.
    Just make sure you have a bunch of people with the same story wether they were there or not.

FROST is offline Associate Member
    I dont know if this helps any but i guess all information can be used somehow. A few months ago i beat the hell out of a guy at a bowling aly. I had assault charges pressed againsed me. The charges were droped, but i still cant go to that same bowling aly. The only advise i can give is just get a good lawyer, mabey expensive, but worth it in the end. Best of luck for you bro, and i think that they might take into consideration that you had your temper under controll, because they know that you could have did alot more damage.

Good luck
    Bri

Gilster is offline Member
    If you are in BJJ then maybe you choked him out by cutting off his blood supply to his brain and not by cutting off his ability to breath. If you did do it this way it is even more proof that you were trying to restrain him and that you were in control and trying to just defend yourself. Just a thought I had. Get a lawyer and fight it bro. You could have done serious damage and instead you stopped it as non violently as possible. If I was the judge I'd let you go...lol

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    Talk about catching a case man, How did these people find out your guys' names? If you're going to beat the hell out of someone you know, you have a buddy they don't know do its less likely they press charges... Then you just owe your buddy down the road...I hope you don't already have a record, this defintley won't help... Maybe the fact that you didn't throw, and you didn't start anything will be in your favor...

sorry to hear that

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    You choked the guy unconscious to restrain him? I don't think that's going to go over well in court. Is choking someone considered attempted murder?
    He was also very intoxicated and I was sober. That may have added to the ease that he lost conciousness. He would not listen to reason which is why the situation escalated that far. I warned him to back up before it even started. I have quite a few witnesses. he lunged, threw a punch, and wrapped him up while telling him the whole time to cvalm down and i would let him go. All you guys running your mouths have obviously never been in that situation. I've been in many fights and I'm always sure not to be the aggressor and i give many warning and try to move out of the way before the fight ensues. Now I'm gonna have to have my buddy file charges on all 3 of them and there were a different bunch of people that saw him get jumped the first time. That seesm to be the Mexicans gang menatlity. Not to be raccist but you don't see white citizens jumping people every chance they get. i think it's in their culture...

Well if you were sober, and they were intoxicated and they can prove they were in court i would not worry... Sounds like a bunch of mexicans posing as gangbangers...I'm sure if they were the real deal they would of opened fire...

I'm glad it didn't work out this way... Make sure you point and laugh at them when they bring up they were drunk...j/k

did the police ask if they wanted to press charges and they agreed

Bro, make sure you and your buds do press charges against all of them...

It's a lot easier to have them drop their charges and "forget about it" when they have charges pending over their heads too.

Red

palme is offline Rosie Member
    How could they know who you guys are? I missed that part.

Wouldnt the penalty be harder for you? Since they can say your a trained fighter bla bla bla. Best of luck bro, but i think your in deep sh!t.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Quote Originally Posted by monster.
    Sounds like a bunch of mexicans posing as gangbangers...I'm sure if they were the real deal they would of opened fire...
    Yup. And they sure as hell wouldn't have stuck around to file charges.

Quote Originally Posted by 8====ramrod8=D
    Yup. And they sure as hell wouldn't have stuck around to file charges.
    ya know man, thats what i'm saying.... I'm surprised anyone stuck around in the first place they must of really been busted up...

hoss827 is offline Banned
    That's a load of ****....your buddy will probably testify in court, and so will the idiots. In the end , charges will most likely be dropped on you, and your friend since you were merely trying to break up the fight...Hell you cant even do something for a good cause anymore....that's ridiculous.. best of luck bro,

-Hoss

sigrabbit is offline Member
    If you were not the aggressor and you did not use "excessive" force, then you should not end up with any conviction. Excessive force will be that force required to end an imminent danger, but no more. Are the charges criminal or civil? I would concur with the other bros and file your own charges for assault and/or battery.

Rod Farva is offline Associate Member
    The only thing about bringing up the previous fight where the little pieces of $hit jumped your buddy is that they can try to claim that the 2nd fight was premeditated which may or may not exacerbate the situation. I'm sure that undercard will come into play at some point - just be prepared to dispute their ineveitable charge that you guys were out for revenge.

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    i know ironfist,

and he's not the type to provoke anything. i can say this though........if youre on his side, and youre in trouble, he'll be the 1st one to back you up.
    ironfist, despite being involved in all the legal fighting stuff, is one of the most agreeable bros ive ever come in contact with.
    i hope everything works out brother, and if i can be of any assistance, drop me a line.........

peace I4L

Devourer is offline Senior Member
    i'll testify for ya.i was there and saw everything. it was totally provoked.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    My bro went through this same thing with a group of wanna be gangsters. Those skinny little punks alway run in packs. 5 of us were just chillin and getting drunk as hell. All over a sudden 20 of these cholos (sp?) come up on us just cause my Buddy called one of their girls a tramp (she was too). So half of them jump on my buddy and were all fighting the others. My bros on the bottom of this pile and he grabs the main guy kicks his ****en ass. Finally we get to the pile and start pulling these guys off. So my Buddy who weighs bout 160 but is a mad man comes out of this pile with hardly a scratch and three of the guys on top of him went to the hospital and the main guy with a beef against him need 16 stitches and had a concussion.

The next day they filled charges on him. ****en bull****. If we didn't have so many witness he would have been fuct cause the judge had a hard time believing that we were that out numbered and those guys got hurt so bad and all we got were a black eye, a couple fat lips and I got a bloody nose which is common for me. I guess it helped that my buddies dad was a big time lawyer for the police here though.

Good luck IF this **** is becoming too common now a days. I hope you are as luck as we were

Thanks IFL70, at least someone's got my back. you've always been gold in my book. It turns out that I know the investigating officer and he told me what is going on. Two out of the three guys refused to press charges because they said the fight was mutual (probably trying to avoid getting charges pressed on them). They both also admitted that their buddy was the aggressor towards me. All three were intoxicated and the officers took note of that. the guy pressing charges changed his story multiple times and was unruly with the officers. This one is gonna get laughed out of the DA's office...

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Thanks IFL70, at least someone's got my back. you've always been gold in my book. It turns out that I know the investigating officer and he told me what is going on. Two out of the three guys refused to press charges because they said the fight was mutual (probably trying to avoid getting charges pressed on them). They both also admitted that their buddy was the aggressor towards me. All three were intoxicated and the officers took note of that. the guy pressing charges changed his story multiple times and was unruly with the officers. This one is gonna get laughed out of the DA's office...
    That's good to hear. Glad things worked out for you, bro.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Wellllllllll.. can you say civil Lawsuit????

If they (victims ) find out that you have formal training, and you were unable to "restrain" them without causing Permanente damage.. You are at fault.. Anytime a person loses conciensness (sp) there is damage to the brain.. thus it is Permanente damage.;. maimed if you will ..... even cops get sued if they "Choke out " a suspect.. in self defense, you will be asked "how do you normally walk away from a fight???" you see in your first statement you said " we went across the street, and just the 2 guys were suppose to fignt.. . A resonable person would have known that violence was going to happen and would have called the police if it was unavoidable..

See what i am getting at..... in a court room.. you will have to justify your actions to people who have never even been pushed down in the playground..

Dude.. tell your friends to not meet someone to fight them.. make the idiot attack you.. but don't go to the place where the person is.. if they had crossed the street to you and began something.. you would be justified to one extent..

If the person had slipped into a coma due to you choking him out.. guess who would be paying the medical bills.. that is if you could escape the felony assault charges that you would face..

Peace..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

just read the last post.. good for you..

but remember.. when you have training.. you are considered lethal force... so be careful..

Rules

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    Well if it helps any iron. Im not sure what exactly happen but I can tell you a little bit about the process. Im not sure why you were just the only one but... Most of the time the charges are just protocol.

A police officer has to assess the situation after gathering information. He makes recommendations and files charges with the information he has. Sometimes its not all the information and his report isn't the whole situation. There is more than one side to a story.

Its the prosecuting attorney that makes the final decision of charges and if the charges are going to go through. The officer just covers his butt best he can, it will be the prosecutor that will gather more information to make a final determination on charges. After he gathers more info on the real situation he might withdraw your charges and recharge the others.

He might altogether drop the whole case and not bother which most time in fights like this happens. Judge might just hall all of you in there just to give you all a verbal spanking and kick you all out on warnings.

My advice is dont mention anything about your fighting experience. Do not volunteer any information not asked if not dont answer any questions and deny any claims of your experiences. If your going to get charged let the local, city, state, whoever is prosecuting rest the burden of evidence on them to prove what your fighting abilities and experiences are.

For all they know you are a minister practicing priesthood. Let them figure it out.

Sometimes it's helpful to just walk in and speak with the prosecuting attorney see whats really going on instead of guess work. That case might just sit filed forever and never be touched.

In all failing retain counsel. Keep me posted.

Reality.................. It can be so refreshing...

Peace

Rules

Glad to hear it buddy. I was going to touch on that one. I know here the police hate to prosecute assault charges because once witness's etc get involved everyone tells a different story and the whole thing gets messed up. Were as you and I are used to the fight game these scumbags can't look back and give once half decent account of the actual event. Its also one of the many, mnay reasons why they usually end up on with the sh*tty end of the stick, their not thinking on their toes..

Now, relax there while we talk about 'anger management'

BDTR is offline Retired
    Dont feel bad bro... i picked up a mayhem charge last week. You'll get off fine...

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Dont feel bad bro... i picked up a mayhem charge last week. You'll get off fine...
    mayhem? jeez.. i hope that sounds a lot worse than it is.

BDTR is offline Retired
    http://reference.allrefer.com/encycl.../M/mayhem.html

Quote Originally Posted by chrisAdams
    mayhem? jeez.. i hope that sounds a lot worse than it is.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    uh.. so it's just about as bad as it sounds.. not quite the end of fight club mayhem, but much more than the begining of fight club mayhem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information