Nathan is offline Retired Moderator

My thoughts on life and your bulbous crotch

Okay, so here I am at a tender 23 years of age, fully equipped with an honors degree in astrophysics. Now, it's at roughly this point that I start to allow myself to realize a few key points about life in general. I can't for the life of me figure out what ****ing profession would make me happy and the reason is a simple one: work is an illusion for meaning. That feeling of satisfaction you feel after a job well done is complete and total bull****. It somehow suckers you into thinking that the product of your hard work, however ephemeral, is a piece of you in some deranged way and that you should take comfort in that. Well, I'm here to tell you that there is no comfort to be had. There is no ****ing meaning in life or anything else as near as I can tell and if I had to guess everything will NOT be alright.
    The whole concept of love is also gnawing at me these days. I've been holding onto the whole notion with wild abandon. I can't for the life of me shake the feeling that I'm completely and totally alone, always have been and always will be. And don't think you're any exception. It makes me nauseous thinking about it but there it is. You are born alone and you will die alone and all the people you meet along the way are nothing more than entertainment, no matter how much they want to believe otherwise.
    So where can we go and what can we do with ourselves? How should we go about passing the time and why should we even bother? I can't figure it out. I can't help but think that everyone i see has no ****ing clue what they're doing in life and it unnerves the hell out of me. Here are billions of people, scrambling for **** to do with themselves and for what? To pass the time? Why? What the **** is the point in that? And I'd appreciate it if anyone thinking of chiming in with answers wreaking of religious undertones would please keep them to themselves. I'm afraid you're no exception to the rest of the population my friends.
    I guess my problem is that I don't know what to do with myself and I can't convince myself that I even should be doing anything. This is what happens when I go sober. Never again. As soon as my body is willing, I'm high again. I've made a conscious decision to forget about all these things. I don't think I want anything to do with life. It just isn't for me. Now, I'm not saying we should all kill ourselves of course since there's also no point in thatas near as I can tell. I'm simply saying that I have absolutely no idea what it is that I'm saying. I love you guys though.

Also, if someone could just tell me what to do with my life that would be super.

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    you have asked the question(s) that have been wonderd by mankind for longer than any of us have been around

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    Could it be, that there is no answer for some things?

Forget it, nevermind. I just don't get it is all. It's like mathematics, if you don't understand it how the **** can you be expected to pass the tests?

Also if Nickelback can b successful in life without doing anything then what the hell does hat say about me?

Taejoon is offline Associate Member
    You're a man after my own heart Nathan. I have come to many of the same conclusions you have about life, but I probably came to them through a different path. I was raised in a strictly religious environment, it took me a while, but in the end I finally figured out it was all bulls**t. Then after that, I got heavily into philosophy and figured out that all of life is total bulls**t. Not a lot you can do about it though, find something that makes you happy and go with it. Whether it be drugs, women, killing things, or beating people up. For me it was beating people up, I got into cage fighting and haven't looked back ever since. Being locked in a cage with another human being that I want to maim or injure as badly as possible brought new meaning to my life, and I'm not being sarcastic. It's kinda sick, but there's something about brutal violence and one on one competition that's just pure and in so many ways, liberating... Don't know if this helps, just my two cents...

Peace

-Taejoon

Quote Originally Posted by Taejoon
    You're a man after my own heart Nathan. I have come to many of the same conclusions you have about life, but I probably came to them through a different path. I was raised in a strictly religious environment, it took me a while, but in the end I finally figured out it was all bulls**t. Then after that, I got heavily into philosophy and figured out that all of life is total bulls**t. Not a lot you can do about it though, find something that makes you happy and go with it. Whether it be drugs, women, killing things, or beating people up. For me it was beating people up, I got into cage fighting and haven't looked back ever since. Being locked in a cage with another human being that I want to maim or injure as badly as possible brought new meaning to my life, and I'm not being sarcastic. It's kinda sick, but there's something about brutal violence and one on one competition that's just pure and in so many ways, liberating... Don't know if this helps, just my two cents...

Peace

-Taejoon
    I now respect you greatly. You've earned it. You have my loyalty should you ever need. I have tatoos and an eyebrow ring so that really counts for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan
    I now respect you greatly. You've earned it. You have my loyalty should you ever need. I have tatoos and an eyebrow ring so that really counts for something.
    Nathan, you seem like a class dude. I hope you eventually find something in life that makes getting up in the morning worth it, whatever that might be. The only other piece of advice that I can offer is that you should never stop looking for that thing, life is about the journey, not the beginning or the end....

Peace

-Taejoon

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Nathan, you seem like a class dude. I hope you eventually find something in life that makes getting up in the morning worth it, whatever that might be. The only other piece of advice that I can offer is that you should never stop looking for that thing, life is about the journey, not the beginning or the end....

Peace

-Taejoon
    I agree whole heartedly with that man. Also hoping that I can find that for myself.. hoping we can all find it.

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    for my own quest for the golden chalice of meaning-hood, Ive come to the glorious resolution that life really has no meaning. now some may find this depressing. but it is all in how you look at it. much like how spirit-beings coming to take you away could be viewed as demons or angels depending on whether or not you wish to die, the viewpoint matters here. FOr myself, its liberating as I now know that the secret to life is to be happy and have fun... whatever that may be for you. for me, I don't have to please some super-being or other iconic figure's philosophy. I just try my best to have fun. I personally enjoy discovery which is why I went into research and teaching. I am constantly learning and I get to relate the nature of the universe to others just starting thier path in my own unique way. Imagine (as you have a degree, undergrad as I recall in astrophysics) how you teach relativity to students. or subatomic (high energy) physics. or quantum. watching the lightbulb go off for people not fluent in these studies is amazing. now imagine struggling with string theory and being the first to experimentally prove (or disprove) some aspect. you not only the first to know, but beleive me your imagination of the possibilities runs wild.

anyway, my point is... find what makes you happy, and then try to make a career in it. It is the lucky man who finds a career in something they are good at and they love.

find a person to make you happy. if you like kids have some. but never feel like your miserable. if you do, change. its in your power.

sorry for the ramble...too much caffeine!

cooksbrut is offline Associate Member
    Yeah many people would agree with you including myself sometime back. However now I think about that no longer. The answer for me is 2 1/2 foot high and smiles all day. You cant fully grasp the feeling until a mini you is staring back. As guys we go through life with a certain feeling that we are invisible, that a wrong move in life can be summed up with the notion of F uck it. however, children make you feel so vulnerable and to me thats what really makes you feel alive. They let you know everyday why you choose to get up and not stay in bed. I never thought that curbing my lifestyle would ever be enjoyable, but it is ...... amazing. Or at least thats my humble opinion

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    The only reason we do the things we do is because we can. Life is nothing more than a constant battle with no finish line. I've come to the conclusion that we are here for one reason and one reason alone...............and not one single person has the slightest clue as to what that reason is, myself included. I'm guessing that the reason I'm here is to see how long I can put up with all the **** before I die. Rich or poor we are all looking for the thing that makes us happy and the really funny thing is happiness is an illusion and none of us will ever be truly happy. The only guy I know that is happy is the bum that stands out in front of the McDonalds....the reason being.............he doesn't care.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    and stop staring at my crotch.........it gets me excited.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Taejoon....

Hope you read this...

i never went the way of cage matches... or orginized Martial arts... (trained alot.. different disciplines.......)

When you are in a cage you are sanctioned... people are telling you it's ok, we will accept you if you win...

In the real world.. when you snap a mans knee side ways... take an eye, or punch so hard in the chest that a rib breaks.. puncturing the lung.. you learnn to walk away from this violence.. you choose a path of peace.. You still get/have the confidence.... the difference... you stop looking behind you..

peace out.... there is another way....................

Peace

-Taejoon
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    Rich or poor we are all looking for the thing that makes us happy and the really funny thing is happiness is an illusion and none of us will ever be truly happy. The only guy I know that is happy is the bum that stands out in front of the McDonalds....the reason being.............he doesn't care.
    It's like that old saying goes "he who cares the least wins..." for he truly has nothing to lose.

Life is like this blank canvas at the beginning and when you die it is discarded unless you, in some capacity, made a mark or contribution which was deemed worth recording by society. It's like an art class, everyone paints but when the bell rings only the good ones get hung up on the wall.

If I am ever at a point in my life where I no longer believe in what I am doing, I will change direction drastically. If need be I will be that old geezer backpacking around Europe or move to Switzerland at 38, 48, or 58 years old if that's when my life reaches to a crossroad. I am convinced the trick to it all is doing what you believe is right for you and **** societal norms, they are truly what makes life meaningless. We are human beings not lemmings.

I read everyone's replies and really appreciated them. I have always wondered how having a child might change things for me but I'm a bit young yet first of all and secondly love would ideally come first for me, and as I mentioned above, I'm having trouble with that concept these days.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    A little from the wisdom of Solomon in Ecclesiastes, who had it all, the money the women, the power, the brains, everything: he searched for happiness and meaning in everything and finally concludes the following:

Here is what I have seen to be good and fitting: to eat, to drink and enjoy oneself in all one's labor in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward. -- 5:18

Enjoy life with the woman whom you love all the days of your fleeting life which He has given to you under the sun; for this is your reward in life and in your toil in which you have labored under the sun. -- 9:9

The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. -- 12:13

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Life is but a journey towards the realization that our lives are nothing more than a sickening entropic reaction.

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    Life is but a journey towards the realization that our lives are nothing more than a sickening entropic reaction.
    i wasnt going to get in on this thread, because thinking about it just makes me depressed. however, i have to get in on this statement because this is one of a couple things that still keeps me awake at night.
    entropy would be organization going to chaos, high energy to low energy. but we as living creatures do just the opposite. we fight entropy, and if you think of our evolution from individual proteins, to cells, tissues, organs, systems, and entire organisms we have fought entorpy at every step of the way. the question is why when it is inevitable that we will all go back to dust do we go through the hardships of life to begin with. that is one of the only things that makes me think that there is something out there, something we cant comprehend. what is the driving force? what makes us fight entropy to evolve to the point where we can ponder why we would fight entropy? i think for all our knowledge of the world we fail to see the driving force that keeps us moving forward...whatever that is. anyway, i think im rambling because its time to go run and its still below freezing outside.

Quote Originally Posted by sin
    i wasnt going to get in on this thread, because thinking about it just makes me depressed. however, i have to get in on this statement because this is one of a couple things that still keeps me awake at night.
    entropy would be organization going to chaos, high energy to low energy. but we as living creatures do just the opposite. we fight entropy, and if you think of our evolution from individual proteins, to cells, tissues, organs, systems, and entire organisms we have fought entorpy at every step of the way. the question is why when it is inevitable that we will all go back to dust do we go through the hardships of life to begin with. that is one of the only things that makes me think that there is something out there, something we cant comprehend. what is the driving force? what makes us fight entropy to evolve to the point where we can ponder why we would fight entropy? i think for all our knowledge of the world we fail to see the driving force that keeps us moving forward...whatever that is. anyway, i think im rambling because its time to go run and its still below freezing outside.
    Entropy is what makes evolution impossible. Life was no accident. Beyond that, I can't say how we got here or why we are here, I just know that from a scientific point of view, evolution is impossible.

Peace

-Taejoon

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    Taejoon....

Hope you read this...

i never went the way of cage matches... or orginized Martial arts... (trained alot.. different disciplines.......)

When you are in a cage you are sanctioned... people are telling you it's ok, we will accept you if you win...

In the real world.. when you snap a mans knee side ways... take an eye, or punch so hard in the chest that a rib breaks.. puncturing the lung.. you learnn to walk away from this violence.. you choose a path of peace.. You still get/have the confidence.... the difference... you stop looking behind you..

peace out.... there is another way....................
    "In the real world." Bro, fights do not happen like this on the street. You've been watching too many Bruce Lee and Van **** films. Real confrontations on the street are usually between a few fat, unskilled, out of shape males that have had one too many "superman" beers and usually end up slobbering on eachother more so than doing any real physical harm to one another. Traditional martial arts are crap, they don't teach you how to snap a man's knee knee or how to break his ribs with a punch. That's a bunch of bulls**t. What they do give you, is a chip on your shoulder and false sense of confidence which makes you think you posses fighting/self defense skills when you actually have only acquired a firm knowledge of how to get your a** beat when it comes down to really defending yourself. Just because your 10th degree grandmaster says he can break a tree in half with his pinky finger doesn't mean he can. You put any traditional martial artist or "street" fighter against a trained professional MMA fighter and I will tell you which one will be going to the emergency room, or the morgue for that matter. And it wouldn't make a bit of difference if you were on the street or in the cage/ring. And as far as I myself am concernced, I hate street fights, never been in one my whole life, they are repulsive to me. Street fights happen because two brainless pions have a need to give themselves self esteem when they have none to begin with. Mixed Martial Arts competition is completely different, it's a contest between two skilled warriors to see who the best man is. The rules are set up in a format that is as close to pure un-armed combat as you can get, without endangering the life of the combatants in any serious way. This is why I love it, because it's the purest form of competition there is. If you look at all other sports, they're just excuses for people to compete against one another without violence entering the picture. If all other sports were done away with and there was only fighting as a means to compete agains one another, we would have a much more peaceful society. No more bar room brawls, no fights after football, baseball or basketball games. You see, with violent competition, you skip all the bulls**t and get right to the heart of the matter. Which is the question "Am I more of a badass than you?" It completely takes all of the ego out of competing after all is said and done. Because once the fight is over, it's over. One man has lost by means of physically getting his a** kicked while the other has won. Or sometimes both get beat up and judges have to decide. But in the end, when the fight is over, you feel fulfilled, win or lose, you as a man, have done battle. You have not done basketball or baseball, or some other bulls**t, you have done battle. In all other sports, you can walk after you lost and say "while I could kick his a**". No! you can't say that after you walk out of the cage or the ring, because, you have either had your ass kicked, or you have done the ass kicking, there is nothing more to be said. It's one of the most liberating and fulfilling things I've ever done, and I stand by that statement....

Peace

-Taejoon

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Sometimes there are no answers to lifes questions...

Quote Originally Posted by hoss827
    Sometimes there are no answers to lifes questions...
    This is true, but for those of us who somtimes have too much time on our hands, it's fun to meddle.

sin
    Entropy is what makes evolution impossible. Life was no accident. Beyond that, I can't say how we got here or why we are here, I just know that from a scientific point of view, evolution is impossible.

Peace

-Taejoon
    improbable not impossible. just because we cant answer these questions doesnt mean the answers dont exist.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all of the time and have the time of your life.

jasonbbflex is offline Junior Member
    Or, don't waste time not doing anyting. Pick a thing and go for it!

improbable not impossible. just because we cant answer these questions doesnt mean the answers dont exist.
    The point I was trying to make was simply that in order for evolution to occur, a few of the physical laws that we know to be true about nature and the universe would have to be violated over and over and over again. Spanning the course of millions of years, though this is not impossible as you have stated correctly, it highly, highly unlikely. The numbers are certainly not in it's favor.....

Peace

-Taejoon

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    and stop staring at my crotch.........it gets me excited.
    Sorry bro

sin
    The point I was trying to make was simply that in order for evolution to occur, a few of the physical laws that we know to be true about nature and the universe would have to be violated over and over and over again. Spanning the course of millions of years, though this is not impossible as you have stated correctly, it highly, highly unlikely. The numbers are certainly not in it's favor.....

Peace

-Taejoon

change the word violated to something like pushed, or twisted and ill agree with your statement.

Devourer is offline Senior Member
    i like violating the universe

sin
    Quote Originally Posted by anadrol devourer
    i like violating the universe

thats funny. ill bet the universe likes violating you too.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Well said. Very well said.

change the word violated to something like pushed, or twisted and ill agree with your statement.
    No, the word violated stays. Entropy is a property of the natural universe that we know to be true. I cannot recall a single instance when reverse-entropy has occurred in modern history. In fact it has never occurred in recorded history, give me one instance where something has gone from a less orderly state, to a more orderly state and I will change the wording of my argument. The fact of the matter is simple. If you make a pile of sand and leave it on the beach, it doesn't turn into a sand castle. Entropy takes over, the pile erodes and joins the rest of the sand on the beach. Matter is matter, whether it be in the form of sand, or a bunch of single celled proteins sitting around in a puddle slime millions and millions of years ago. Those proteins aren't eventually going to turn into a fish or even some other simpler organism. Their little pubble is going to dry out and then they will die. Reverse-entropy doesn't happen now in modern history, and there is no reason to believe that it happened then.

Peace

-Taejoon

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    No, the word violated stays. Entropy is a property of the natural universe that we know to be true. I cannot recall a single instance when reverse-entropy has occurred in modern history. In fact it has never occurred in recorded history, give me one instance where something has gone from a less orderly state, to a more orderly state and I will change the wording of my argument. The fact of the matter is simple. If you make a pile of sand and leave it on the beach, it doesn't turn into a sand castle. Entropy takes over, the pile erodes and joins the rest of the sand on the beach. Matter is matter, whether it be in the form of sand, or a bunch of single celled proteins sitting around in a puddle slime millions and millions of years ago. Those proteins aren't eventually going to turn into a fish or even some other simpler organism. Their little pubble is going to dry out and then they will die. Reverse-entropy doesn't happen now in modern history, and there is no reason to believe that it happened then.

Peace

-Taejoon
    Comparing entrophy's effects on the physical universe to human lives is not comparing apples to apples IMO. The key word here is lives. Physical objects, like your sand castle, can be objectively measured and compared and the effects of entropgy can clearly be seen. Humans, in the biological sense are completely separate from the lives they live which is simply a product of their decisions and circumstances. So entrophy and its effects on us as a biological organism have nothing to do with our the lives we live and the decisions we make. Now I am not a philosopher so I am not saying I am right but this is how I see it and it makes sense to me.

sin
    but we are here and we metabolize food everyday for the purpose of fighting entropy, we convert energy from one form to another and we maintain or increase our own complexity until we die. energy certainly can not be created, but it can undoubtedly be converted to different forms. my statement is not an implication of reverse entropy, look at it more from the point that hundreds of millions of years ago proteins aggregated together by harnessing some energy requiring reaction, and their complexity compounded into what living creatures there are today. it is difficult to think that proteins would be able to harness the energy of natural reactions for the purpose of increasing their own complexity (thus getting back to my previous post on the driving force), but it is not a violation of the laws of thermodynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Comparing entrophy's effects on the physical universe to human lives is not comparing apples to apples IMO. The key word here is lives. Physical objects, like your sand castle, can be objectively measured and compared and the effects of entropgy can clearly be seen. Humans, in the biological sense are completely separate from the lives they live which is simply a product of their decisions and circumstances. So entrophy and its effects on us as a biological organism have nothing to do with our the lives we live and the decisions we make. Now I am not a philosopher so I am not saying I am right but this is how I see it and it makes sense to me.
    Not to be rude, but I really have no idea what it is that you're trying to say. This post made no sense to me....

"Humans, in the biological sense are completely separate from the lives they live"

I'm very confused, but it sounds to me a bit like you've been reading Aristotle....

Peace

-Taejoon

but we are here and we metabolize food everyday for the purpose of fighting entropy, we convert energy from one form to another and we maintain or increase our own complexity until we die. energy certainly can not be created, but it can undoubtedly be converted to different forms. my statement is not an implication of reverse entropy, look at it more from the point that hundreds of millions of years ago proteins aggregated together by harnessing some energy requiring reaction, and their complexity compounded into what living creatures there are today. it is difficult to think that proteins would be able to harness the energy of natural reactions for the purpose of increasing their own complexity (thus getting back to my previous post on the driving force), but it is not a violation of the laws of thermodynamics.
    Ok, Ok, you win this round.... It is difficult to believe proteins could harness energy. It's even more difficult to think they could do so with the goal in mind of harnessing this energy to increase their own complexity. Oh, wait, did I say mind? They have no mind.... So what is motivating them? I know you already asked this question, and no one has an anwer to it. Bottom line, it's not impossible.... Just ridiculously unlikely, it's even more unlikely that they could have done it on their own. But I think both of us already agree on that. So I don't really have much more to say.... Oh yeah, the whole purpose of this debate was so that you could convince me that no natural/physical laws had to be violated in order for evolution to occur and for now I believe you're right.

Peace

-Taejoon
    Last edited by Taejoon; 01-11-2004 at 07:19 PM.

Thread Information