Body is offline Associate Member

Help with speeding ticket

I recently got a speeding ticket for going 66 in a 45. Because it was in a construction zone (double fine in NM) the fine is $250. I told the cop he must have hit another vehicle with the radar because I was using cruise control. I lied. Anyway, I'm going to court tomoroow and the cop hates me so I know he'll show up. Any best practices as far as how to get the judge to accept my plea of innocence?

PS- Don't know if it's at all relevant, but I have a pretty extensive arrest record.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Be a man and confess you did wrong.

Great idea...not!

I would confess to the crime if it didn'e mean giving up $250 dollars that could be spent on juice instead. Morals are important, but let's make sure to keep our priorities straight here.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    When you meet with the DA before the trial... ask for a settlement of the offense.. depending... you could save some money.. you could get the ticket suspended and you with a 1 yr probation.. insurance won't even know..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Thats true hehe.

spywizard, will that work even if I'm already on probation for another 2 months?

No.. more than likely the judge will combine the 2 offenses.. the only chance you have is probably the cop dies, or doens't show up...

If the DA tries to get a continuence because the cops not there.. say no thank you.... this is your day in court...

good luck..

but go..................

Quote Originally Posted by Body
    spywizard, will that work even if I'm already on probation for another 2 months?

Rules

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    Body, first I need to know what your prior driving history is as in points, speeding tickets, all moving motor violations. Including any points for tickets that dropped off. Your record does not purge for atleast 10 years. I'd have to assume your state adopts a similar method as mine. Most do.

This is my advice, that is, if your record is not that bad. Dont lie to the judge. He will have your master record before him as you go to traffic court. At court he will most likely ask you if you wish to plead guilty, innocent, or guilty with an excuse. Address him as "Your Honor" and ask that the ticket be taken under an "advisement" for a one year "probationary period" under a guilty plea agreement. At the end of this year with no other violations may the ticket be dismissed. Pay court costs. The ticket stays in limbo. At the end of the year it is dismissed and no points no ticket on your record.

Judge will usually go for that. If not plead innocent get a court date get a lawyer. Probably wont happen. Judges here every excuse in the book. Dont bother challenging the officer or the radar. Radar's are already calipered to excuse error. Unless this agency is using ancient equipment. If he was a trooper dont count on it. Its state troopers main concern, statistics, and grant income to police the highways. There on the ball. Count on it.

Good luck..LMR

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    Body before you go into court and you see the officer, ask him what he can do about the points.. You're stuck with the fine and court costs, but ask him if you can settle without the points... Usually cops will do this, i have numerous points for speeding, and drag racing thats what i do so my insurance doesn't go up.. If you had the time bring a lawyer and usually when you come represented they'll wave just about everything and you have to pay the attorney...

LOL my lawyer said to me once there is no disease money can't cure..

goodluck bro and try not to speed its a bitch in the long run

Good one LMR...

that's what i was trying to tell him..

talked to him.. he has one probation already.. So not sure what's going to happen..

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyRoids
    Body, first I need to know what your prior driving history is as in points, speeding tickets, all moving motor violations. Including any points for tickets that dropped off. Your record does not purge for atleast 10 years. I'd have to assume your state adopts a similar method as mine. Most do.

This is my advice, that is, if your record is not that bad. Dont lie to the judge. He will have your master record before him as you go to traffic court. At court he will most likely ask you if you wish to plead guilty, innocent, or guilty with an excuse. Address him as "Your Honor" and ask that the ticket be taken under an "advisement" for a one year "probationary period" under a guilty plea agreement. At the end of this year with no other violations may the ticket be dismissed. Pay court costs. The ticket stays in limbo. At the end of the year it is dismissed and no points no ticket on your record.

Judge will usually go for that. If not plead innocent get a court date get a lawyer. Probably wont happen. Judges here every excuse in the book. Dont bother challenging the officer or the radar. Radar's are already calipered to excuse error. Unless this agency is using ancient equipment. If he was a trooper dont count on it. Its state troopers main concern, statistics, and grant income to police the highways. There on the ball. Count on it.

Good luck..LMR

Rules

LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    Thats not good news. Already on a probationary period. hmmmm...well Body in that case that means this ticket you might not get a break on and the other ticket you just violated the probationary period which means you will have to answer for that as well. Both wont be on the same day but the judge will bring it up to you that you already have this other violation pending. Be expecting another court date in the mail.

I cant advice you anymore I dont have that much experience. My best advice now is plead innocent get a court date, get a lawyer. A good lawyer will make some phone calls. Maybe talk to the judge personally. You might get the construction zone violation dismissed, the speeding ticket reduced with a guilty plea plus court costs. You might have to do driving classes.

If he's really good, and, i have seen this done, you might get both put on a probationary period. Some lawyers have some serious contact with judges. Its a business and the judge knows the lawyer has to look good. Dont count on it though.

Body, can you look on that speeding ticket and see if its a reckless? Also do you have to appear in a district court for the zone violation because I think that is a federal law.
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    Good one LMR...

that's what i was trying to tell him..

talked to him.. he has one probation already.. So not sure what's going to happen..

Peace
    Last edited by LuvMyRoids; 01-16-2004 at 01:43 AM.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    You guys have DAs represent you? In CA we represent ourselves and the Cop represents himself.

One way to get around it NEXT TIME is. The day after the ticket, go to the court and ask for a court date. MAKE SURE the clerk gives you a date 46 days AFTER the ticket date. This is tricky but try to make it seem like you cant make any dates within the 45 day peroid.

If you are lucky, you got a date after 45 days and the clerk wont think of you signing a release of your right to quick and speedy trial.
    If you do not sign that then you go to your court date and say: Your rights were violated because they gave you a date later than 45 days which is not a quick and speedy trial which you are entitled to.

It is a stretch but if you know how to work it, it always gets you off. The judge CAN NOT deny you your rights were violated. It is then dismissed, have a good day.

mass junkie is offline banned
    You shoulda hired the services of a traffic ticket attorney

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    get it postphoned, then get a lawyer that specializes in traffic violations. I've gotten out of two tickets by doing that... and he charges a flat fee of $100... well worth it.
    good luck
    ~R

$100......................

cool.. post his name and contact phone #...he may know other lawyers in other states that can help the rest of us............

Quote Originally Posted by ripped4fsu
    get it postphoned, then get a lawyer that specializes in traffic violations. I've gotten out of two tickets by doing that... and he charges a flat fee of $100... well worth it.
    good luck
    ~R

Rules

Devourer is offline Senior Member
    i dont know if this is true but i heard that if you plead guilty or whatever and pay the fine with a check overwritten. then the charges dont go through until you cash the difference check. anyone heard of this?

Thread Information