Thread: Martial Arts

Ammar is offline Senior Member

Martial Arts

I wasnt sure what to exactly call this thread but here it goes...

I want to take up some sort of martial art. I was thinking of going into kickboxing. I want to know if any of you have tried any and what your opinions are. The thing for me is availability. I dont want to drive an hour to a gym, ya know. So please let me know what you guys think is the best one to take up for a starter. Again, I dont plan on competitively fighting, I just want it for the discipline, flexibility, and overall body fitness.

I know we have some MMA fighters and others of that nature on this board so if you can please chime in, thanks again.

hercules88 is offline Senior Member
    when i was in middle school i took tae kwon do and it whipped me into shape fast. the emphasis is realy on kicks so usualy the first 20 min of class is all stretching. in less than 2 months a fat kid like me was able to do the splits. almost all MA will get you flexable and diciplined. i would choose what would intersts you. for me, it would be tai chi, kickboxing and jujitsu.

Roadkill is offline Banned
    Jujitsu is where it's at.

D3m3nt3d is offline AR's Whore D'Oeuvre
    I have taken karate and tae kwon do both....IMO Tae kwon do is alot better, however there are better MA around

I really want to take Jui Jitsu but I dont know if its good for a beginner. My flexibility isnt all that great so I dont want to get into something that I will end up struggling with horribely.

I am really into kicks, arm strikes and I would like to learn some submission moves. Thanks for all the input so far.

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    Your best, probably most usable and effective forms of martials arts are:
    Muay Thai Kickboxing
    Brazilian Jui Jitsu
    Kempo

I've been taking Muay thai and BJJ for a couple yrs now...

Swellin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ironfist
    Your best, probably most usable and effective forms of martials arts are:
    Muay Thai Kickboxing
    Brazilian Jui Jitsu
    Kempo

I've been taking Muay thai and BJJ for a couple yrs now...
    That will probably be the general consensus...if you are wanting to take MA, just to kick ass.

Others of interest might be Aikido, Hwa rang do/ Tae Soo Do (ask BG about this one), Hapkido, Ninjitsu, Shaolin Gung Fu....

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Without knowing whats available in your area its hard to say. Almost all the styles will provide the things your looking for, however some instructors are pure sh1t so do your homework and look around. Try visit a few, find out when they've competitions coming up and attend, stuff like that. For effect fighting skills its hard to beat what Ironfist said, except that he's one of the first I've heard recommend Kempo Karate. I hate it.

If your looking for the traditional styles you might want to shy away from kickboxing and MMA.

Another thing you can do is look through www.sherdog.com and see what the comments are on their forums, they've good links too.

Don't mind that rubbish "I don't want to get into competitions".. Trust me buddy you will, their a buzz and you'll never, ever be thrown in at the deep end.

Hey, how about Judo ?. I've been tempted by a few people to try it lately.

Best of luck anyway and let us know what you do.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Have studied brazilian jui jitsu, muay thai and aikidio. The muay thai and jui jitsu combo for me is the best. Even a great stand up fighter should feel comfortable on his back.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah i want to take BJJ too but im too embaressed to go to a dojo and have to train with like 13 year olds.. hey i live near NYC anyone know a good place where i can take it?

Elliot thats pure BS. I've an 11yr old son who give's tips to 30 yr old seniors. He's fought everything since he was 5 yrs old and, he recently fought and won a 15 yr old kid for silver in the Irish kickboxing nationals. If you went into the dojo with that attitude he's be embarressed to train with you.

no i didnt mean that in a way.. im embearresed of getting my as$ kicked by people i can probobly toss accross the room..

lol, I understand. We'll like I said. No one is thrown in at the deep end. And take it from me. If you are, leave teh Dojo and find another one. I've seen instructors do **** like that and have absolute ZERO respect for them.

lol yeah but is BJJ good for a novice? plus i try to google for a dojo around my area came up with nothing.. any special way i can find one? plus how much do you guys pay for lessons.. there used to be a karate dojo around my house and they wanted 500$ for a year.. it isnt much but on a college budget that like how much i spend in a month..

Swellin Guest
    Usually colleges will have something going on...take a look and see.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I think I will look into Muay Thai and BJJ...it depends which one is available around me. I will let you guys know in a couple days which one is available and the price.

Thanks again.

Also, can anyone recommend any dojo's in the Metro Detroit area??

Yeah thats where I am from bro send me a PM.

1-boxing
    2-muay thai
    3-kickboxing

In that order. Most likley its never one on one, unless your competing dont worry about ground arts. You fall down just worry about getting up.

pumped99 is offline Associate Member
    Take good ol'boxing. I get in a fight or two on occasion and I can knock the crap out of anyone with my fists. I have fought a brown belt in karate, and a person of comparable skill in Akido and I won both. Just get them up in a corner and rip their stomach apart, they won't kick you after that.

I am not really into it for the street fighting, but it would be nice for when those times come up. I am more into it for the discipline, flexibility and overall body fitness. Thats why I am trying to stay away from boxing for now.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    SAMBO!!!! It's extremely effective I'm 21 and I've been taking Sambo religiously for 16 years. I've been competing over here and in Russia for 5 years and trust me if you get a boxer and kickboxer or Muay Thai fighter in to there back (which I've done and is relatively easy) they are finished. Everything about Sambo is not aiming to hurt but to seriously hurt or kill. It's the best thing I've ever done................................except for juice.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Funny thing! I started a class yesterday in MMA which has:
    Muai Thai Kickboxing
    BJJ
    Boxing
    Submission Wrestling
    Grappling

I have sparred with some knowledge of BJJ (I trained in specwar for a time) and boxed while in the navy. So I just decided to take formal training and yesterday was my intro class... I ****ing loved it! Infact today is my 1st day at work where I haven't wanted to kill anyone !!!!! Only problem, I broke a toe doing a sweep take down! WTF! So, my advice.... WRESTLING SHOES! I will get some shoes and hopefully only miss a few days! But I like it because it gives you a wider base kicking, striking, ground and pound and submissions. Hell just last night we did takedowns, chokes and arm/shoulder subs.

DOIT!

SID
    EAGLES ARE LOSER BASTARDS WHO SHOULD PLAY LAWNDARTS INSTEAD OF FOOTBALL!

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    i didnt feel like retyping what i said in some other post so ill just copy and paste it lol:

me personnally, i train vale tudo. its not considered a tradional fighting style, translated it means in english "anything goes". we mainly stick with maui thai and brazilian ju jitsu techniques, but we will learn some striking techniques from boxing, some take downs from wrestiling. pretty much the best way to prepare for a fight it to know alittle of everything that actually works. imo karate, tkd, and most of the other traditional arts are useless in a real street fight. 80% of all the street fights ive ever seen or been in have gone to some type of clinch, never have i seen anyone actually make it into a boxing match. someone always goes all wild and just starts swinging out of control. best thing to do is to stay calm and rely on what youve been learning. do a search on vale tudo. im sure youll love it... just go look at a vandelia silva (sp?) or any other chute boxe acadamy fighter highlight reel and youll know why i started taking it
    Last edited by jcstomper; 01-21-2004 at 12:01 PM.

Roidfever is offline Associate Member
    I've competed in judo, jiu-jitsu, taekwondo, kickboxing and thai-boxing. And I'm a former two time national heavyweight champ in the latter style. So let me tell you this: kickbowing is probably the easiest MA to learn. Once you've got the basics you're able to do pretty well already. As for the more technical MA's I know they're harder to learn and even more difficult to use on the street. You need years of training in order to use them confidently. And as for the SAMBO-competitions: a couple of years ago I was invited to compete in such a tournament, but declined it. Far too difficult for me Oh yeah, at age 24 I already retired from the MA-circuit, but I had fun

Vanderlei Silva is a muay thai fighter. Vale Judo is just the name of the competition he has fought in...."anything goes" just like you said. It's a style but not a martial art.

Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    Vanderlei Silva is a muay thai fighter. Vale Judo is just the name of the competition he has fought in...."anything goes" just like you said. It's a style but not a martial art.
    it started out as just events, and yes that was the name of it, still is. but now it has evolved into a style because people train in everything they'll need to know to compete in one of the said events. you can go to a actual vale tudo school. example beings ruas vale tudo, gracie vale tudo and ny vale tudo right near you in NY. just to name a few. yes vanderlei is a muay thai figher, but read his shirt next time he comes out to fight, it says right on it "chute boxe acadamy vale tudo". it means that his school even though primarilly a mauy thai school trains vale tudo. which means they're learning everything there, with a emphasis on mauy thai. i hope you dont think vanderlei goes into fight with out knowing submissions and ground fighting from bbj?
    Last edited by jcstomper; 01-21-2004 at 07:11 PM.

Bartleby is offline Member
    i take jiu-jitsu when i'm home from school..its a great sport, it came easy to me because i wrestle too...good martial art to look into..

Ok i stand corrected stomper I actually wasnt aware of that. I know you're right cuz he does have a black belt in BJJ as well. To be honest Vale Judo is an event I'd rather stay out of. what do you find your favorite martial art in vale judo?

Classic quote from the wise Quinton Jackson. Nobody ever said you can't kick ass without a degree in speech.

Thanks groverman I was looking for the one about how he would take the belt from Silva and spank him in the ass with it for being so ugly but I wasn't to sure what it was and I wanted to get it right. The guy is a huge trash talker and I hate trash talkers but the things he says are hilarious.

Agent Smith is offline 'The Cleaner'
    i say ki aikido is the best IMO. i've tried judo, ju jitsu, karate and kickboxing, none of them come close to aikido. i have some old vids of steven segal and some of the stuff that guy can do is scarey. do some research on it, i've been studying it for 3 years now, it's the only one that kept me interested.

peace

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Im starting MMA soon and dropping my plans on being on stage in posingtrunks.

I have background in Aikido, taiboxing and shootfighting.

Roidfever is offline Associate Member
    Well, I hate to disappoint you Agent Smith, but some time ago I spoke to a 3th dan aikidoka and he admitted he's defenseless against controlled boxing. He said that aikido is only good for the uncontrolled attacks like some brute swings and kicks and also when the other guy grabs an aikidoka they can do some serious damage. These are not my quotes, but those of a respected 3th dan aikidoka...

Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    Ok i stand corrected stomper I actually wasnt aware of that. I know you're right cuz he does have a black belt in BJJ as well. To be honest Vale Judo is an event I'd rather stay out of. what do you find your favorite martial art in vale judo?
    its cool no hard feelings, and its vale tudo, with a T lol... but honestly i think its the best fighting cause anything can happen, just like a street fight, and i figure if your gonna get prepare for a street fight, even if it is for a self defense postion, it would be best to practice what ever is closest to that actual situation. to tell you the truth after practicing it for a year or two. street fights are a joke, cause usually the other person really has no clue what they are doing, and you can just relax and think your way threw the fight. like if you in a clinch you know what to do, if your about to mount and they try to head lock, you think ok, i know they cant actually choke in this postition so you dont pay attention to it and complete what you were doing to gain positioning to strike the person. theres nothing better then being mounted on a person and you know they're not getting you off and you know as soon as they go to push you off, your wrapping a arm and breaking it, or your just gonna drop the bow's on em lol

dont forget people there is a differance between brazilian ju jitsu and japanesse ju jitsu. japan's version is mostly from a stand up postions and is much like akido, brazilians version is more like sambo except sambo has alot more small joint manipulations. japans judo is actually closer to bjj then japan's ju jitsu is. im talking about real judo here, not just the throws, theres more to it but alot of it isnt taught cause it is very painful to practice

Thread Information