BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

A Farewell of Sorts and Tale of Happiness

I'd been meaning to come here all day to say a legitimate but not permanent good bye (more on that in a second). Today, however, I received a phone call that i thought was worth sharing here, particularly given the number of people who have claimed that bodybuilding/weightraining "saved their lives". It was something I truly and honestly did not understand or grasp entirely until tonight. As many of you who know me well are aware (and I believe i put it in my "10 Things" confessional) my brother and I are as opposite as can possibly be, save for height. I'm 6'2"/6'3" ish 240-260 and he's 6'4"/65"ish 150-165. I've done my (edited non-specific degrees) in addition to university hopping all over the world and planning for law school and he dropped out of high school. I read Pynchon and Rousseau for "fun" but couldn't tell you where the oil goes in my vehicle or what it doesn once it's in there. He's been taking apart and rebuilding engines and motors since he could walk but has never even began a book. That gives you only a peek into how different we are.

Another very major way in which we are different is that, aside from the college days of fairly minor experimentation (the obligatory booze and a bit of shrooms and weed) I am more or less drug free (well, the AAS thing, but that's a technicality) while he has been to the edge of death due to a chronic drug addiction. My extended family had tried everything with nothing seeming to help. On a whim, I bought him a few sets of dumbbells (10-35 lbs.) and gave him some of my old books (the arnold encyclopedia, etc) mostly in the hopes that if he got into it a bit, maybe he'd hang out with the "bad crowd" just a bit less. That was three months ago. Today he called (this in itself you have no idea how much of a step it is for him) to let me know that he hasn't so much as smoked a cigarette in two and a half months, no longer goes out on weekends, and, in what can only be evidence of our at least decent genetics, went from 165 to 190 during this time, using only the dumbbell set and exercises that can be done with standard furniture. I'm heading down this weekend to set him up with a gym membership and workout program. I'm aware it's way too early to tell if this is gonna stick and truly be what pulls him out, but I haven't had this much hope for him in a number of years. Largely, I was prompted to do this for him based on the number of stories circulating AR in various forms that pay some sort of homage to the weightroom as catharsis. For this I certainly thank you guys.

On the other hand, grateful as I am, I think I'm taking off for a while. I'm going to frequent the workout forum, but my heart just isn't in the rest of the board right now, and i'd rather back off and be a part of it not only sometime soon, but way down the road than to force myself to keep it up and get soured on the thing. I'm not sure what brought this about, but think a great deal of it had to do with the bad taste left in my mouth after getting scammed for two cycles worth of gear. On top of that, and this is where I give props to the vets and active seniors, I was literally beaten into the ground by the sheer volume of PMs after heading over to the steroid forum for a few weeks and flouting some knowledge. I don't know how in the hell you guys make the time and enthusiasm to continue to lend a helping hand...it was all i could do to keep up for a few weeks.

At any rate, i'll be in the workout forum from time to time, so I'll get any PMs and such, but for what may turn out to be a little bit, you're not going to be seeing me outside of there. Take care and someone, please, if a thread in the lounge does come along that kicks so much ass and stirs up so much laughter it can't be missed (I'm looking at you, Hoss and Nathan, but for different reasons) do alert me through PM and I'll check it out.

BigGreen

PS: i've decided on "Anabolic Academic" as my custom title...who in the hell do i contact for that change??
    Last edited by BigGreen; 02-11-2004 at 11:57 PM.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I'm gonna miss your posts for the time being BG, but good luck with whatever you are going to focus on in the next litle while.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    say it aint so BG!!!! bro, you cant stop posting here..
    cause if you do.. i'll come to you and put you through a 2 day in a row leg routine... that will surely paralyze you..

well... if you think its best... then it is. And im glad to hear about your brother.... and hey, if ya ever need some help with something.. PM me.. k?

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    BigGreen, I'd like to say farewell and goodluck with your goals bro.. I can't say enough about your posts, they are near pulitzer quality.. I wish your brother luck, and I hope he finds happiness like many of us do while weightlifting.. I also hope he stays on the right road to make his life better, and doesn't give in too easy.. Pop in from time to time and say whats up...LOL...I don't think you could of picked a more suitable title..haha

Well take care and be safe bro, I hope you have some good stories when we hear from you again..

good luck

monster.

nevaenuf is offline Senior Member
    As far as I am conserned you are among the most respected and helpfull people around here. It is ashame that Jarrett's punk ass is leading you away from AR.

Good luck with you bro and I will see you in the workout forum.

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    Quote Originally Posted by nevaenuf
    As far as I am conserned you are among the most respected and helpfull people around here. It is ashame that Jarrett's punk ass is leading you away from AR.

Good luck with you bro and I will see you in the workout forum.

ditto that. as one oldtimer to another (on AR at least), see you soon. and good luck with Law School Admissions

cb25 is offline Banned
    First of all, congrats on your brother's transformation, of sorts. Like you said, who knows if it'll stick, but you've given him the tools to improve his life...you've done more for him that he may ever know...you should feel proud - both of yourself and your bro.

Secondly, I can understand your reasoning for taking a step back, while your posts will be missed incredibly, you have to do what you have to do (a little too cliche, i know...). I check the workout forum frequently, so i'll know you're still around...

I expect a thread when you DO officially get into law school, so we can congratulate you on the inevitable.

Best of luck BG...

p.s. nice title...i think it suits you well.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Talk to you soon man. Best of luck with everything, I and hope those acceptances roll in, and that your brother really has made a change for the better.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Good luck with your Bro BG. I know it's hard not to get too excited just yet...but maybe your enthusiasm will rub off on him.

See you soon back in the lounge after you chill a bit bro.

peace,

ttgb

hercules88 is offline Senior Member
    your a good bro who brings alot of incite to people. be safe and we will see you soon i hope. good luck with law school!! let me know where you end up going.

Swellin Guest
    I was very pleased to see you back on here, posting again. I truly enjoy your posts, and think of you as a well respected vet. You will be sorely missed!
    Your brand of humor, mixed with a hefty dose of IQ is a welcome change from, "Can I drink winny?"
    It is great to hear that your brother is making a change for the better. I sincerely wish the best for both of you.

sigrabbit is offline Member
    I say we hijack his title until he promises to stay. Glad to hear about your brother BG, mine is very similar, but my efforts have not paid off as well as yours. Good luck in law school, and don't forget that I am going to whip your arse in FFL next year.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I get like this too . Something always happens to make me stay but some time our hearts are just not in it. Take some time off bro and we'll be here. You better not take too long though. And don't forget the league next year. Can't be a ARFFL without you .

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Big G...great thing you did for your friend,hope he sticks with it.Your posts here will be missed.Don't be gone to long,and I hope you get into the school of your choice.

All the best

DB

Danielle is offline Female Member
    whyyyyy is everyone leaving?????............
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

hoss827 is offline Banned
    I'll miss you bro! Can't wait for fantasy football!!! Ya better not miss it!

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    First off..good looking out for others. Second, a break is necessary form most things that we are invoved with..a renewed dedication upon return is a great feeling.

nevaenuf is offline Senior Member
    bump, I think everone should get a chance to read this.

Nathan is offline Retired Moderator
    You're one of my favorites guy so take the time you need but never give up on these boards. So long as I'm lifting, I'll never really fully leave. The internet is an invaluable resource, without it I would have no idea about safe cycling and even what the **** it is I've been taking. I value your intelligence greatly BigGreen and I hardly value anyone so there. Anyways, you made a **** good impression on me, one I won't forget. Drug addiction seems to me to generally be a representation of some other problem(s). I'm at my worst when I'm at my most depressed, personally. Anyways, make sure you pummel into your brother's head the fact that bodybuilding PAYS OFF, but it's an investment and doesn't pay off right away. I never saw it when I first started but I do now. Some people treat me poorly because of it and are reluctant to get to know me but on the other hand, it's solved a lot of other problems for me. Plus, the fact remains, chick dig muscles.

Thread Information