Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    ross3814 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    608

    if you get arrested (4 times) but are not convicted, can you still...

    can you still have a carreer in law enforcement? i had family troubles as a young teen and ran into a few problems. i was arrested twice as a juvinille and twice as an adult (17 years old). i want to change my major to criminal justice but don't want to do it if im never gonna get a **** job. all of these cases were continued without a finding. my old probation officer seems to think that as long as i was never convicted i should be all set. any of you guys know?
    Last edited by ross3814; 01-27-2004 at 09:22 PM.

  2. #2
    Commando_Barbi's Avatar
    Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally Posted by ross3814
    can you still have a carreer in law enforcement? i had family troubles as a young teen and ran into a few problems. i was arrested twice as a juvinille and twice as an adult (17 years old). i want to change my major to criminal justice but don't want to do it if im never gonna get a **** job. all of these cases were continued without a finding. my old probation officer seems to think that as long as i was never convicted i should be all set. any of you guys know?
    It would probably depend on the circumstances of your arrests. Can you tell me more? Certain things may keep you from getting a job with them. The key is to be very honest when in your interview and polygraph.

    I am going through the process right now....PM me if you want, I'm sure I can answer any questions you have.

    C.B.

  3. #3
    USfighterFC's Avatar
    USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    6,357
    I'm actually going on the NYPD in July and there are people in the academy with arrests on the record. I dont know about 4 though but also if you're a juvenile your records are sealed which means 2 of your arrests wont even show up, however it does look kinda bad that you got arrested 2 times by itself. What were you arrested for? If it wasn't serious you could have a shot........you should call up a recruiter and ask them if it's possible you can still go into law enforcement. The thing is they ask if you've been arrested and you have to say "yes" , have you ever been convicted you can say "no" but they still now know the fact you have been arrested. Call up the recruiter and ask you'll probably get the straightest answer from them.

  4. #4
    Commando_Barbi's Avatar
    Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,183
    Hmmmmm by the way...part of the application process is listing any drugs you have used in the last 10 yrs, and some cases EVER. Anabolics were listed on the application I completed....and....the use, purchase, sale, possession, etc of drugs were addressed heavily during my polygraph.

    I don't know if it would keep you from getting hired...but don't try to hide it or lie on the polygraph about it.

  5. #5
    ross3814 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    608
    i've been arrested for the stupidest things. i guess the 2 juvinille ones dont count so i'll just say the adult ones. the first one is an assault and battery on my brother for pushing him. no joke. the second one is for minor possession of alchohol (2 beers in my car). sucks.

  6. #6
    Commando_Barbi's Avatar
    Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    I'm actually going on the NYPD in July and there are people in the academy with arrests on the record. I dont know about 4 though but also if you're a juvenile your records are sealed which means 2 of your arrests wont even show up, however it does look kinda bad that you got arrested 2 times by itself. What were you arrested for? If it wasn't serious you could have a shot........you should call up a recruiter and ask them if it's possible you can still go into law enforcement. The thing is they ask if you've been arrested and you have to say "yes" , have you ever been convicted you can say "no" but they still now know the fact you have been arrested. Call up the recruiter and ask you'll probably get the straightest answer from them.
    Any words of advice for me ???? Did they address anabolic 's in your interview, application and poly?

  7. #7
    ross3814 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    608
    i've done a ****load of drugs.

  8. #8
    ross3814 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    608
    i know a few cops that have run into there fair share of drugs and trouble too though.

  9. #9
    saboudian's Avatar
    saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Michigan State University
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by ross3814
    i've been arrested for the stupidest things. i guess the 2 juvinille ones dont count so i'll just say the adult ones. the first one is an assault and battery on my brother for pushing him. no joke. the second one is for minor possession of alchohol (2 beers in my car). sucks.
    Sorry bro, you might as well forget about it. I know someone who had an MIP, and that was it, and he went down to the detroit police station and they said no, you can't have anything on your record, and it was just a dumb mip. If a city like detroit won't take him, a city that really needs law enforcement, you're pretty much fuc*ed.

  10. #10
    ross3814 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    Sorry bro, you might as well forget about it. I know someone who had an MIP, and that was it, and he went down to the detroit police station and they said no, you can't have anything on your record, and it was just a dumb mip. If a city like detroit won't take him, a city that really needs law enforcement, you're pretty much fuc*ed.
    MIP?

  11. #11
    Commando_Barbi's Avatar
    Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,183
    I don't know for sure either way. It wasn't something I had to worry about. Never done any drugs and never had any trouble. I know that during my polygraph they asked me a **** load of questions about alcohol and assault. Had I ever been arrested for assault, what were the circimstances. The fact that you were never convicted may or may not make a difference.

    I will be talking to my FTO tomorrow ... I'll see what he says.

    C.B.

  12. #12
    Commando_Barbi's Avatar
    Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally Posted by ross3814
    MIP?
    Minor in Possession

  13. #13
    USfighterFC's Avatar
    USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    6,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando_Barbi
    Any words of advice for me ???? Did they address anabolic's in your interview, application and poly?

    They asked in the interview if i have ever taken AS. I told them no but we dont have to take a poly in the NYPD. In the interview just stick with your answers and be concise and complete in everything you say. Leave them no room for guessing or assumptions. Be straight forward and honest but never say more than you have to on "certain" subjects. And look at them directly in the eyes and dont let your eyes wonder around the room. Don't screw around with your hands or crack your knuckles or things of that nature. just sit there and talk.

  14. #14
    LuvMuhRoids's Avatar
    LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Behind Ur booty
    Posts
    3,071
    First off, if you had a probation officer you were convicted of something. Also, depends on what you were arrested for. Every state has a master arrest record that all LEO agencies must publish up to. When an agency conducts a BI(background investigation) they print you on a "record lookup" print card. Send that up to state police or what ever agency (CJIC) handles master arrest records for the state.

    You may not have been convicted but this record will reflect any police contacts. Also agencies publish all reports with your name on them up to county records. Agencies will look at that for hiring. Agencies will also pull all 3 credit reports, master social security records for job history, complete DMV (department motor vehicle) or SOS (secretary of state) records for a complete driving offense record also to see all addresses you used on them. Also pull all official school records for elementary, junior high, highschool, and college transcripts.

    Not to mention the psychological profile they make of you after all this and the test. They will also contact all neighbors current and past. This is just the icing.

    Then again I have seen someone get hired onto a department with 2 OUIL's (operating under influence liquour) also arrested and convicted for possesion. This person got an associates in CJ and certified themselves through the police academy. Served on a reserve unit until they built trust in him and finally picked him up full time.

    You can go to any LE agency and ask them to print you on a RI-8 card. Its an "Applicant and Personal Identification Card". If its not that name which I think it is just let them know what you need the prints for they will know what to do. Tell them you want to find out your master arrest record at the CJIC (Criminal Justice Information Center).

    You could ask them to run you on the LEIN (Law Enforcement Information Network) system. This is there access to your master record. Its that little computer that the cruisers have and run your DL (Driver License) on. Best off getting the print card because some information may be not available after a period of time like your juvenile records. Dont count on that not being there because its a juvenile offense. It may not be for public record and sealed (so they say) but any goverment or LE agency can have access to this information mainly just for this purpose of hire. Doesn't matter when you committed an offense if it was 50years later. It will be there.

    Good luck and dont give up. Build credentials so high they cant see over them to your negative. Good one to do is serve on a Reserve Unit mainly the agency you want and buddy with the PO's.

    Good luck...LMR
    Last edited by LuvMyRoids; 01-27-2004 at 10:38 PM.

  15. #15
    Commando_Barbi's Avatar
    Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,183
    Great response LMR. I didn't realize they did so much to check you out. In the military they do all this to me because of my job so I guess I just never gave it much thought.

    I am starting in the reserve program as well, so I can get my foot in the door before I retire from the Navy. I know they are going through all the same stuff for the reserve program as well.

    If they gave him Deferred Prosecution which is what it sounded like in his PM, he would still have a Probation Officer to track his case (at least in WA they do). After a year if they stay out of trouble, the charges are dropped.

    I say never give up hope. Get involved with a Cadet program if they have one, try to get in the reserves, etc. The bad thing about the reserve program here is we have to pay for ALL our gear which comes to around $3,000. The Chief is considering getting our uniforms and leather gear for us which would take a big chunk out of the expense.

    C.B.

    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyRoids
    First off, if you had a probation officer you were convicted of something. Also, depends on what you were arrested for. Every state has a master arrest record that all LEO agencies must publish up to. When an agency conducts a BI(background investigation) they print you on a "record lookup" print card. Send that up to state police or what ever agency (CJIC) handles master arrest records for the state.

    You may not have been convicted but this record will reflect any police contacts. Also agencies publish all reports with your name on them up to county records. Agencies will look at that for hiring. Agencies will also pull all 3 credit reports, master social security records for job history, complete DMV (department motor vehicle) or SOS (secretary of state) records for a complete driving offense record also to see all addresses you used on them. Also pull all official school records for elementary, junior high, highschool, and college transcripts.

    Not to mention the psychological profile they make of you after all this and the test. They will also contact all neighbors current and past. This is just the icing.

    Then again I have seen someone get hired onto a department with 2 OUIL's (operating under influence liquour) also arrested and convicted for possesion. This person got an associates in CJ and certified themselves through the police academy. Served on a reserve unit until they built trust in him and finally picked him up full time.

    You can go to any LE agency and ask them to print you on a RI-8 card. Its an "Applicant and Personal Identification Card". If its not that name which I think it is just let them know what you need the prints for they will know what to do. Tell them you want to find out your master arrest record at the CJIC (Criminal Justice Information Center).

    You could ask them to run you on the LEIN (Law Enforcement Information Network) system. This is there access to your master record. Its that little computer that the cruisers have and run your DL (Driver License) on. Best off getting the print card because some information may be not available after a period of time like your juvenile records. Dont count on that not being there because its a juvenile offense. It may not be for public record and sealed (so they say) but any goverment or LE agency can have access to this information mainly just for this purpose of hire. Doesn't matter when you committed an offense if it was 50years later. It will be there.

    Good luck and dont give up. Build credentials so high they cant see over them to your negative. Good one to do is serve on a Reserve Unit mainly the agency you want and buddy with the PO's.

    Good luck...LMR

  16. #16
    Commando_Barbi's Avatar
    Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    They asked in the interview if i have ever taken AS. I told them no but we dont have to take a poly in the NYPD. In the interview just stick with your answers and be concise and complete in everything you say. Leave them no room for guessing or assumptions. Be straight forward and honest but never say more than you have to on "certain" subjects. And look at them directly in the eyes and dont let your eyes wonder around the room. Don't screw around with your hands or crack your knuckles or things of that nature. just sit there and talk.
    They asked me all that during my polygraph pre-interview. Then during the actual polygraph, they asked me if I told the complete truth. Also asked me if I had ever purchased or traffic'd, etc. Also asked me about assault. So it's all good to sit there and be firm to them during the pre poly interview... but if you are lying...the machine will get you in the end....well, it would get me anyway.

    C.B.

  17. #17
    PurePower is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    1,942
    if it aint on paper it didnt happen...........rember that

    i am a LEO.

  18. #18
    LuvMuhRoids's Avatar
    LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Behind Ur booty
    Posts
    3,071
    This is true. If it's not on paper it didn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePower
    if it aint on paper it didnt happen...........rember that

    i am a LEO.

  19. #19
    Commando_Barbi's Avatar
    Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyRoids
    This is true. If it's not on paper it didn't happen.
    I deal with background investigations on a DAILY basis in my job and it doesn't always have to be on paper to cause you problems. Once they find a lie here or a partial truth there....they start digging until they find it ALL. Then YOU have to prove that it's all trash. If you are lucky, you suceed...if not, you lose your clearance.

  20. #20
    PurePower is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    1,942
    Here are the minimum requirments for my department..........keep in mind that it is one of the roughest streets in the U.S.A........

    Age
    Must be at least 20 years of age

    Education
    High School Diploma or GED

    Vision
    20/40 corrected in one eye and 20/20 corrected in the other eye with uncorrected vision of 20/100; color blindness is acceptable if correctable with a corrective contact lens

    Driver's License
    Must have a valid license

    Health & Well Being
    Good physical and mental health

    Character
    Good moral character

    Criminal Record
    No felony convictions

    Domestic Relationships
    No domestic violence convictions

    Citizenship
    Must be a U.S. Citizen

    If Veteran
    Honorable Discharge

  21. #21
    LuvMuhRoids's Avatar
    LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Behind Ur booty
    Posts
    3,071
    Pure, you ever heard of a site called Todayscop?
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePower
    Here are the minimum requirments for my department..........keep in mind that it is one of the roughest streets in the U.S.A........

    Age
    Must be at least 20 years of age

    Education
    High School Diploma or GED

    Vision
    20/40 corrected in one eye and 20/20 corrected in the other eye with uncorrected vision of 20/100; color blindness is acceptable if correctable with a corrective contact lens

    Driver's License
    Must have a valid license

    Health & Well Being
    Good physical and mental health

    Character
    Good moral character

    Criminal Record
    No felony convictions

    Domestic Relationships
    No domestic violence convictions

    Citizenship
    Must be a U.S. Citizen

    If Veteran
    Honorable Discharge

  22. #22
    PurePower is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    1,942
    i use real police and police one

  23. #23
    PurePower is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    1,942
    SO YOU WANT TO BE A POLICE OFFICER?

    Well, to start with you always wear blue.
    You work all hours of the day and night, on your birthday, wedding anniversary, your kids parties, at Christmas and New Year, and when your daughter is the star of the school ballet. *You miss your sons home run in the Little League Final.

    When there are explosions, gunshot or screams, you run towards them while everyone else runs the other way.

    You must love children, even the ones shooting at you.

    You have to be able to seperate a drunk, bottle-wielding husband from his doped-up, knife-wielding wife, without injury to anyone. *Then, when you have to arrest one of them, the other one attacks you.

    People curse and swear at you : you can't curse and swear back. *You can NEVER, EVER lose your temper and composure.

    If you are giving a driver a ticket for doing 55 mph past a primary school where the limit is 20 mph, the driver will demand to know why you are not catching real criminals instead of persecuting innocent motorists like him.

    If you chase and armed criminal who draws his gun and shoots at you, misses, and then you shoot him, it will be your fault and you may be prosecuted.

    You're unpopular with the general public, all the time,every hour, every day, until they need you, sorry, DEMAND you.

    Pay isn't great, the hours are ridiculous, you'll hardly ever see your family, morale's at an all time low, YOUR OWN government hates you, and you probably won't see regular shifts till you've been in the job 10 years or more.

    But hey, if you're still interested in being a police officer, you can apply today, because fine, dedicated and hard working men and women are unexpectedly losing their jobs today.
    IN THE LINE OF DUTY

  24. #24
    LuvMuhRoids's Avatar
    LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Behind Ur booty
    Posts
    3,071
    The Badge
    You wore your silver badge, a symbol of your pride. The shield you always stood behind, until the day you died. Another traffic stop? A criminal in distress? He put the gun right to your head, and so he must confess. Struck down in the duty, serving all of us, no one even gave a ****, it was just another fuss. To stand behind the badge, to serve and to protect, it takes more than just pride, it takes respect.

    Tactical Entry
    Heart pounding, you force open the door, and there she is, lying dead on the floor. You search high and low, not seeing him, he may not be present, but his future is dim. Your men spread out, ever more clear, that for this one, justice is near. Up in a room, what's that? A sound!! "Form up on me, men! Gather around!" Storming the door, in with a wail, "Drop it! Drop it!" he goes down in a hail. All is over, no others are found, you are SWAT, and your heart...it still pounds.

    The Sheriff
    "Buckshot, bullets, sheriffs, and more. A Winchester, a Colt, a Four-Fifty-Four. That golden star, it shines in the light, and the justice you serve, you know it is right. Leather, cigarettes, smokin' the gang, jailcells, handcuffs, and of course some will hang. High-noon, revolvers, they're all part of the scene, and from livin' out west, you are God**** mean."

  25. #25
    LuvMuhRoids's Avatar
    LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Behind Ur booty
    Posts
    3,071
    You're Not A Cop Until You Taste Them

    The department was all astir, there was a lot of laughing and joking due to all the new officers, myself included, hitting the streets today for the first time. After months of seemingly endless amounts of classes, paperwork, and lectures we were finally done with the Police Academy and ready to join the ranks of our department.

    All you could see were rows of cadets with huge smiles and polished badges. As we sat in the briefing room, we could barely sit still snxiously awaiting our turn to be introduced and given our beat assignment or, for the lay person, our own portion of the city to "serve and protect."

    It was then that he walked in. A statue of a man - 6 foot 3 and 230 pounds of solid muscle, he had black hair with highlights of gray and steely eyes that make you feel nervous even when he wasn't looking at you. He had a reputation for being the biggest and the smartest officer to ever work our fair city. He had been on the department for longer than anyone could remember and those years of service had made him into somewhat of a legend.

    The new guys, or "rookies" as he called us, both respected and feared him. When he spoke even, the most seasoned officers paid attention. It was almost a privilege when one the rookies got to be around when he would tell one of his police stories about the old days. But we knew our place and never interrupted for fear of being shooed away. He was respected and
    revered by all who knew him.

    After my first year on the department I still had never heard or saw him speak to any of the rookies for any length of time. When he did speak to them all he would say was, "So, you want to be a policeman do you hero? I'll tell you what, when you can tell me what they taste like, then you can call yourself a real policeman."

    This particular phrase I had heard dozens of times. Me and my buddies all had bets about "what they taste like" actually referred to. Some believed it referred to the taste of your own blood after a hard fight. Others thought it referred to the taste of sweat after a long day's work. Being on the department for a year, I thought I knew just about everyone and everything. So one afternoon, I mustered up the courage and walked up to him. When he looked down at me, I said "You know, I think I've paid my dues. I've been in plenty of fights, made dozens of arrests, and sweated my butt off just like everyone else. So what does that little saying of yours mean anyway?" With that, he merely stated, "Well, seeing as how you've said and done it all, you tell me what it means, hero." When I had no answer, he shook his head and snickered, "rookies," and walked away.

    The next evening was to be the worst one to date. The night started out slow, but as the evening wore on, the calls became more frequent and dangerous. I made several small arrests and then had a real knock down drag out fight. However, I was able to make the arrest without hurting the suspect or myself. After that, I was looking forward to just letting the shift wind down and getting home to my wife and daughter.

    I had just glanced at my watch and it was 11:55, five more minutes and I would be on my way to the house. I don't know if it was fatigue or just my imagination, but as I drove down one of the streets on my beat, I thought I saw my daughter standing on someone else's porch. I looked again but it was not my daughter as I had first thought but merely a small child about her age. She was probably only six or seven years old and dressed in an oversized shirt that hung to her feet. She was clutching an old rag doll in her arms that looked older than me.

    I immediately stopped my patrol car to see what she was doing outside her house at such an hour by herself. When I approached, there seemed to be a sigh of relief on her face. I had to laugh to myself, thinking she sees the hero policeman come to save the day. I knelt at her side and asked what she was doing outside.

    She said "My mommy and daddy just had a really big fight and now mommy won't wake up." My mind was reeling. Now what do I do? I instantly called for backup and ran to the nearest window. As I looked inside I saw a man standing over a lady with his hands covered in blood, her blood. I kicked open the door, pushed the man aside and checked for a pulse, but unable to find one. I immediately cuffed the man and began doing CPR on the lady.

    It was then I heard a small voice from behind me, "Mr. Policeman, please make my mommy wake up." I continued to perform CPR until my backup and medics arrived but they said it was too late. She was dead.

    I then looked at the man. He said, "I don't know what happened. She was yelling at me to stop drinking and go get a job and I had just had enough. I just shoved her so she would leave me alone and she fell and hit her head."

    As I walked the man out to the car in handcuffs, I again saw that little girl. In the five minutes that has passed, I went from hero to monster. Not only was I unable to wake up her mommy, but now I was taking daddy away too.

    Before I left the scene, I thought I would talk to the little girl. To say what, I don't know. Maybe just to tell her I was sorry about her mommy and daddy. But as I approached, she turned away and I knew it was useless and I would probably make it worse.

    As I sat in the locker room at the station, I kept replaying the whole thing in my mind. Maybe if I would have been faster or done something different, just maybe that little girl would still have her mother. And even though it may sound selfish, I would still be the hero.

    It was then that I felt a large hand on my shoulder. I heard that all too familiar question again, "Well, hero, what do they taste like?"

    But before I could get mad or shout some sarcastic remark, I realized that all the pent up emotions had flooded the surface and there was a steady stream of tears cascading down my face. It was at that moment that I realized what the answer to his question was. Tears.

    With that, he began to walk away, but he stopped. "You know, there was nothing you could have done differently," he said. "Sometimes you can do everything right and still the outcome is the same. You may not be the hero you once thought you were, but now you ARE a police officer."

  26. #26
    Symian's Avatar
    Symian is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    662
    You can prolly count on a poly test. I had to take one when I tried to get on the Houston FD. There's ways around it if you do the research.

    Sym

  27. #27
    PurePower is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyRoids
    You're Not A Cop Until You Taste Them

    The department was all astir, there was a lot of laughing and joking due to all the new officers, myself included, hitting the streets today for the first time. After months of seemingly endless amounts of classes, paperwork, and lectures we were finally done with the Police Academy and ready to join the ranks of our department.

    All you could see were rows of cadets with huge smiles and polished badges. As we sat in the briefing room, we could barely sit still snxiously awaiting our turn to be introduced and given our beat assignment or, for the lay person, our own portion of the city to "serve and protect."

    It was then that he walked in. A statue of a man - 6 foot 3 and 230 pounds of solid muscle, he had black hair with highlights of gray and steely eyes that make you feel nervous even when he wasn't looking at you. He had a reputation for being the biggest and the smartest officer to ever work our fair city. He had been on the department for longer than anyone could remember and those years of service had made him into somewhat of a legend.

    The new guys, or "rookies" as he called us, both respected and feared him. When he spoke even, the most seasoned officers paid attention. It was almost a privilege when one the rookies got to be around when he would tell one of his police stories about the old days. But we knew our place and never interrupted for fear of being shooed away. He was respected and
    revered by all who knew him.

    After my first year on the department I still had never heard or saw him speak to any of the rookies for any length of time. When he did speak to them all he would say was, "So, you want to be a policeman do you hero? I'll tell you what, when you can tell me what they taste like, then you can call yourself a real policeman."

    This particular phrase I had heard dozens of times. Me and my buddies all had bets about "what they taste like" actually referred to. Some believed it referred to the taste of your own blood after a hard fight. Others thought it referred to the taste of sweat after a long day's work. Being on the department for a year, I thought I knew just about everyone and everything. So one afternoon, I mustered up the courage and walked up to him. When he looked down at me, I said "You know, I think I've paid my dues. I've been in plenty of fights, made dozens of arrests, and sweated my butt off just like everyone else. So what does that little saying of yours mean anyway?" With that, he merely stated, "Well, seeing as how you've said and done it all, you tell me what it means, hero." When I had no answer, he shook his head and snickered, "rookies," and walked away.

    The next evening was to be the worst one to date. The night started out slow, but as the evening wore on, the calls became more frequent and dangerous. I made several small arrests and then had a real knock down drag out fight. However, I was able to make the arrest without hurting the suspect or myself. After that, I was looking forward to just letting the shift wind down and getting home to my wife and daughter.

    I had just glanced at my watch and it was 11:55, five more minutes and I would be on my way to the house. I don't know if it was fatigue or just my imagination, but as I drove down one of the streets on my beat, I thought I saw my daughter standing on someone else's porch. I looked again but it was not my daughter as I had first thought but merely a small child about her age. She was probably only six or seven years old and dressed in an oversized shirt that hung to her feet. She was clutching an old rag doll in her arms that looked older than me.

    I immediately stopped my patrol car to see what she was doing outside her house at such an hour by herself. When I approached, there seemed to be a sigh of relief on her face. I had to laugh to myself, thinking she sees the hero policeman come to save the day. I knelt at her side and asked what she was doing outside.

    She said "My mommy and daddy just had a really big fight and now mommy won't wake up." My mind was reeling. Now what do I do? I instantly called for backup and ran to the nearest window. As I looked inside I saw a man standing over a lady with his hands covered in blood, her blood. I kicked open the door, pushed the man aside and checked for a pulse, but unable to find one. I immediately cuffed the man and began doing CPR on the lady.

    It was then I heard a small voice from behind me, "Mr. Policeman, please make my mommy wake up." I continued to perform CPR until my backup and medics arrived but they said it was too late. She was dead.

    I then looked at the man. He said, "I don't know what happened. She was yelling at me to stop drinking and go get a job and I had just had enough. I just shoved her so she would leave me alone and she fell and hit her head."

    As I walked the man out to the car in handcuffs, I again saw that little girl. In the five minutes that has passed, I went from hero to monster. Not only was I unable to wake up her mommy, but now I was taking daddy away too.

    Before I left the scene, I thought I would talk to the little girl. To say what, I don't know. Maybe just to tell her I was sorry about her mommy and daddy. But as I approached, she turned away and I knew it was useless and I would probably make it worse.

    As I sat in the locker room at the station, I kept replaying the whole thing in my mind. Maybe if I would have been faster or done something different, just maybe that little girl would still have her mother. And even though it may sound selfish, I would still be the hero.

    It was then that I felt a large hand on my shoulder. I heard that all too familiar question again, "Well, hero, what do they taste like?"

    But before I could get mad or shout some sarcastic remark, I realized that all the pent up emotions had flooded the surface and there was a steady stream of tears cascading down my face. It was at that moment that I realized what the answer to his question was. Tears.

    With that, he began to walk away, but he stopped. "You know, there was nothing you could have done differently," he said. "Sometimes you can do everything right and still the outcome is the same. You may not be the hero you once thought you were, but now you ARE a police officer."

    that brings tears to my eyes everytime i read it

  28. #28
    ross3814 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    608
    thanks a lot guys. well all i have to say is this. im mass. on a job application, it says that if you have a CWAF (continuance without a finding) that you dont need to put down that you have been convicted of a felony or misdemenor. i appreciate all of the great posts (very helpful) but i cant afford to waste the next 3 years of my life in college on something that i may not even be able to do. it's too risky. guess im just sticking to business.

  29. #29
    JohnDoe1234's Avatar
    JohnDoe1234 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Strong Island, NY
    Posts
    501
    You don't need to have a CJ major to be a police officer. You can have a degree in basket weaving, all that mattes is that you have the right amount of college credits. Hell, some departments don't require college at all. So keep your current major, and when you graduate you can still apply for a law enforcement job, and see what happens.

  30. #30
    tryingtogetbig's Avatar
    tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    NW of DFW TX
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePower
    that brings tears to my eyes everytime i read it
    Yeah....dammit...it got me. Hadn't read that before.


    peace,

    ttgb

  31. #31
    ross3814 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe1234
    You don't need to have a CJ major to be a police officer. You can have a degree in basket weaving, all that mattes is that you have the right amount of college credits. Hell, some departments don't require college at all. So keep your current major, and when you graduate you can still apply for a law enforcement job, and see what happens.
    wow man... you sure about that? that would be sick.

  32. #32
    USfighterFC's Avatar
    USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    6,357
    Yeah I'm positive on this as well.....you dont need a CJ degree to be a cop you can have any major there is it doesnt even matter.

  33. #33
    LuvMuhRoids's Avatar
    LuvMuhRoids is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Behind Ur booty
    Posts
    3,071
    This is correct. You can have a degree in anything. So far I have never seen a department the specified the degree had to be in CJ. Only that you had to have one to apply. Some do not require a degree at all but it does help believe me. You will be favored by your credentials. Although, you do need an associates minimum, also in anything, to apply and precert yourself in the academy if an agency does not pick up and sponsor you. Least that is the state reg for my state according to MCOLES.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe1234
    You don't need to have a CJ major to be a police officer. You can have a degree in basket weaving, all that mattes is that you have the right amount of college credits. Hell, some departments don't require college at all. So keep your current major, and when you graduate you can still apply for a law enforcement job, and see what happens.

  34. #34
    Commando_Barbi's Avatar
    Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    6,183
    My application said they wanted 45 credit hours, but did not specify a degree. They were happy that it was CJ however.

  35. #35
    BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    IRELAND.
    Posts
    7,772
    Quote Originally Posted by tryingtogetbig
    Yeah....dammit...it got me. Hadn't read that before.


    peace,

    ttgb
    cry baby

  36. #36
    tryingtogetbig's Avatar
    tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    NW of DFW TX
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    cry baby
    ohhh....what a prick!! Kick me while I'm down...that's sorry. Is that an Irish thing????

    Game on!!! I'll get ya!!!

    peace,

    ttgb

  37. #37
    saboudian's Avatar
    saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Michigan State University
    Posts
    1,712
    The detroit police will take you straight out of high school and I believe even put you through the academy for free. But I believe then that you have to sign a contract with them to work like 5 yrs there or something like that.

    Only problem with CJ, is that there aren't a whole lot of good things its useful for. I've heard alot of guys going into accting because its more in demand in the law enforcement agencies, and its a better degree to fall back in just in case and there's always things you can do on the side with it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •