tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member

Head of BBC resigns...

Heard this today. I get the BBC thrown at me from time to time as a reliable news source (you all know what I think of that), so what does this really mean from the rest of you guys?

He resigned after an independent judge ruled that Tony Blair did nothing wrong in supporting the war against terror in Iraq. The judge ridiculed the BBC and their reporters for the biased reporting that was done before/during/after the USA and Britian's removal of Saddam's regime.

I'm just interested in other people's thoughts on all of this. Seems like it is/should be a big deal.

peace,

ttgb

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    US bashing rag got its commupence in the end - couldnt be happier - who says there is no such thing as justice?

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    You know what's cool is England has the power to suspend the constitution in times of emergency, including the media.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Independant inquiry!. Guys there's no such thing as an independant inquiry in England. Lord Hutton is what we call "a west Brit", he's another Brit trying to lord it over us in Northern Ireland, anyone who's apart from the British establishment isn't independant.

Lord Hutton is dancing to Tony Blairs tune for hidden favours from his Labour government to loyalist groups in N.I.

As for the report and justice. It says nothing, 'nor did the programme about America and its hardly anything to do with Justice. It comes from a programme which basically stated that Tony Blair had lied about Saddam having the capability to launch WMD's inside 45 minutes. Lord Hutton wasn't allowed access to intelligence reports etc and the terms of his enquiry were pretty narrow. But at least the British are trying to face up the the fact that someone somewhere is lying and has brought them into an unjust war.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingtogetbig
    He resigned after an independent judge ruled that Tony Blair did nothing wrong in supporting the war against terror in Iraq. The judge ridiculed the BBC and their reporters for the biased reporting that was done before/during/after the USA and Britian's removal of Saddam's regime.

ttgb

Lord Hutton never ridiculed the BBC for unbiased reporting. He slammed the management for not researching their reporters story before airing a programme about the 45 minutes warning of WMD's. He said NOTHING about the removal of Saddam as it wasn't in his terms of reference, as the British went to war (or the British public thought they did) based on a report that said WMD's could be used against British targets within 45 minutes. The report was found to be flawed, what Lord Hutton didn't say was who was found to be lying in the 'sexed up' report.

Btw Cyclone, very few people are bashing the US. I think people in the US feel that way because deep down they know their involved in an unjust war and its a feeling of guilt showing through. Like 'if I keep saying it loud enough and often enough I might believe myself'.

Symian is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    Btw Cyclone, very few people are bashing the US. I think people in the US feel that way because deep down they know their involved in an unjust war and its a feeling of guilt showing through. Like 'if I keep saying it loud enough and often enough I might believe myself'.
    Just out of curiousity, what is the general concensous about americans over there. When my best friend flew back from Afganistan they had a stop over in Ireland, and they had a mass protest and didn't give them a very nice welcome. And this was just after the Afgan war started so nothing with Iraq was even in play.

Sym

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    bouncer - the issue really wasnt about Iraq much at all I am well aware - I am simply glad that the BBC got stuffed

As to the rest, I have long thought that if there is any problems here it is the inteligence that the Pres is relying on. Now it is not just our CIA of course because EVERYONE pretty much thought that Sadam HAD the weapons - tho 45min program was a bit of a stretch to be sure - still, before the war no one could be found who really doubted he had any at all - US, UK, French, Russian intel were all in agreement on that basic fact - the question is that how much and what to do about it.

Our CIA once again went down the rabbit hole - and all these same agencies (UK, US, France, etc) were the very same who were telling us that the Soviet union was such a threat a year or two before the walls fell! I have dealt with a number of them and truly they are not the most origional thinking at times - they mostly think of how to cover their butt as far as intel goes - its NOT Jack Ryan over there - and in our case, it is the same CIA director who ended up taking no action on Osama the 1,000 times they had the opportunity - tho granted, Clinton kept them from doing so.

Point is, I still am quite happy we went to war and got Saddam for a number of side benefits but Bush may have well been given faulty information to make decision based on WMD - I always thought that was a bad premise anyway - although it IS politics here, Bush is generally not the type of person who deviates from what he honestly believes is the truth (he is a poor liar) - better to make the argument that we are going to get Saddam because he is a bad guy - most of my muslim buddys agreed with that idea because they alll hated him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Symian
    Just out of curiousity, what is the general concensous about americans over there. When my best friend flew back from Afganistan they had a stop over in Ireland, and they had a mass protest and didn't give them a very nice welcome. And this was just after the Afgan war started so nothing with Iraq was even in play.

Sym
    Your friend would have landed in Shannon, and yes he'd have faced protestors there. But I don't think he would have felt any anti-American feelings. Most people here are protesting the fact that a neutral country (Ireland) are allowing US stop overs, while at the same time Bush has said that NO Irish companies can bid for contracts in Iraq. So some people are referring to us as USS Ireland. To be honest I back the stop over's, or rather I did untill Bush said Ireland can't bid for contracts. Now I don't want US planes, hardware or soldiers landing in my country enroute to Iraq.

Thread Information