Polska is offline Anabolic Member

Are tasers legal to own in Canada?

I was looking through taser.com and a taser gun seems like an ideal unit for personal defence. much more effective than pepperspray etc but not lethal like a firearm. I am thinking of buying one of these... any thoughts?

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm not sure if they are illegal, but a bottle of pepperspray would work better in my opinion.. It's cheaper, more effective, and easier to carry.. I would say pepperspray bro.. You can get strong stuff on the internet, and it will drop any man to the ground.. Then you can kick the sh!t out of him while he is in agonizing pain.. Peperspray has my vote, Works like a charm...

Both tazers AND pepper spray are prohibited weapons in Canada and mere posession will land you very severe prison terms.

On the other hand, "animal grade" pepper spray is legal (ie: bear spray or mailman dog pepper spray). Just don't get caught using it on a human being, the penalty is nasty.

Red

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    How about an extenable baton???

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Both tazers AND pepper spray are prohibited weapons in Canada and mere posession will land you very severe prison terms.

On the other hand, "animal grade" pepper spray is legal (ie: bear spray or mailman dog pepper spray). Just don't get caught using it on a human being, the penalty is nasty.

Red
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    How about an extenable baton???
    Also illegal in canada... it's on the prohibited weapons list enforced by the Criminal Code of Canada.

Red

Some may find this interesting...

Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited or Restricted

SOR/98-462

Registration 16 September, 1998

CRIMINAL CODE

Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited or Restricted

P.C. 1998-1662 16 September, 1998

His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Justice, pursuant to the definitions "prohibited ammunition"a, "prohibited device"a, "prohibited firearm"a, "prohibited weapon"a and "restricted firearm"a in subsection 84(1) and to subsection 117.15(1)a of the Criminal Code, hereby makes the annexed Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited or Restricted.

a S.C. 1995, c. 39, s. 139

REGULATIONS PRESCRIBING CERTAIN FIREARMS AND OTHER WEAPONS, COMPONENTS AND PARTS OF WEAPONS, ACCESSORIES, CARTRIDGE MAGAZINES, AMMUNITION AND PROJECTILES AS PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED

INTERPRETATION

1. In these Regulations, "semi-automatic", in respect of a firearm, means a firearm that is equipped with a mechanism that, following the discharge of a cartridge, automatically operates to complete any part of the reloading cycle necessary to prepare for the discharge of the next cartridge.

PRESCRIPTION

2. The firearms listed in Part 1 of the schedule are prohibited firearms for the purposes of paragraph (d) of the definition "prohibited firearm" in subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code.

3. The firearms listed in Part 2 of the schedule are restricted firearms for the purposes of paragraph (d) of the definition "restricted firearm" in subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code.

4. The weapons listed in Part 3 of the schedule are prohibited weapons for the purposes of paragraph (b) of the definition "prohibited weapon" in subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code.

5. The components and parts of weapons, accessories, and cartridge magazines listed in Part 4 of the schedule are prohibited devices for the purposes of paragraphs (a) and (d) of the definition "prohibited device" in subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code.

6. The ammunition and projectiles listed in Part 5 of the schedule are prohibited ammunition for the purposes of the definition "prohibited ammunition" in subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code.

COMING INTO FORCE

7. These Regulations come into force on December 1, 1998. SOR/98-472, s. 1.

=== snip snip snip to part 3 ===

PART 3
    PROHIBITED WEAPONS

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 1

1. Any device designed to be used for the purpose of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person by the discharge therefrom of

(a) tear gas, Mace or other gas, or

(b) any liquid, spray, powder or other substance that is capable of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 2

2. Any instrument or device commonly known as "nunchaku", being hard non-flexible sticks, clubs, pipes, or rods linked by a length or lengths of rope, cord, wire or chain, and any similar instrument or device.

3. Any instrument or device commonly known as "shuriken", being a hard non-flexible plate having three or more radiating points with one or more sharp edges in the shape of a polygon, trefoil, cross, star, diamond or other geometrical shape, and any similar instrument or device.

4. Any instrument or device commonly known as "manrikigusari" or "kusari", being hexagonal or other geometrically shaped hard weights or hand grips linked by a length or lengths of rope, cord, wire or chain, and any similar instrument or device.

5. Any finger ring that has one or more blades or sharp objects that are capable of being projected from the surface of the ring.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 3

6. Any device that is designed to be capable of injuring, immobilizing or incapacitating a person or an animal by discharging an electrical charge produced by means of the amplification or accumulation of the electrical current generated by a battery, where the device is designed or altered so that the electrical charge may be discharged when the device is of a length of less than 480 mm, and any similar device.

7. A crossbow or similar device that

(a) is designed or altered to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand, whether or not it has been redesigned or subsequently altered to be aimed and fired by the action of both hands; or

(b) has a length not exceeding 500 mm.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 4

8. The device known as the "Constant Companion", being a belt containing a blade capable of being withdrawn from the belt, with the buckle of the belt forming a handle for the blade, and any similar device.

9. Any knife commonly known as a "push-dagger" that is designed in such a fashion that the handle is placed perpendicular to the main cutting edge of the blade and any other similar device other than the aboriginal "ulu" knife.

10. Any device having a length of less than 30 cm and resembling an innocuous object but designed to conceal a knife or blade, including the device commonly known as the "knife-comb", being a comb with the handle of the comb forming a handle for the knife, and any similar device.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 5

11. The device commonly known as a "Spiked Wristband", being a wristband to which a spike or blade is affixed, and any similar device.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 6

12. The device commonly known as "Yaqua Blowgun", being a tube or pipe designed for the purpose of shooting arrows or darts by the breath, and any similar device.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 7

13. The device commonly known as a "Kiyoga Baton" or "Steel Cobra" and any similar device consisting of a manually triggered telescoping spring-loaded steel whip terminated in a heavy calibre striking tip.

14. The device commonly known as a "Morning Star" and any similar device consisting of a ball of metal or other heavy material, studded with spikes and connected to a handle by a length of chain, rope or other flexible material.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 8

15. The device known as "Brass Knuckles" and any similar device consisting of a band of metal with one or more finger holes designed to fit over the fingers of the hand.

According to the criminal code, mere possession of a prohibited weapon will land you up to 5 years in the can. Use of one (even in self defence) will send you to Club-Fed for a lot longer.

Red
    Last edited by Red Ketchup; 02-01-2004 at 04:15 PM.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    god bless canada.. any new yorkers wanna go to canada and take over with our tazers and pepper sprays?

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot
    god bless canada.. any new yorkers wanna go to canada and take over with our tazers and pepper sprays?
    He he he do remember that Canadians own MORE firearms per-capita than their American neigbours

Of course you could probably take us over by sheer numbers alone... there is like more people in the city of New-York than all of Canada

Red

Of course you could probably take us over by sheer numbers alone... there is like more people in the city of New-York than all of Canada

Red
    get ready i need a bigger back yard

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot
    get ready i need a bigger back yard
    All yours!!!!

Take this frozen wasteland, I'll trade you Canada for hmmm lets see... Hawaii... or Florida, heck I'd even trade for Louisiana or Mississippi!

Sun and heat here I come!!!

Red

very true.. we should all relocate to mexico.. anyone wanna start a take over?

Terinox is offline The One & Only

Red
    DUUUDE are you serious?!? What the hell?! You saying a woman can't carry pepper spray in her purse for pretection against asshole rapists and wut not?

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    DUUUDE are you serious?!? What the hell?! You saying a woman can't carry pepper spray in her purse for pretection against asshole rapists and wut not?
    Yeah that's bullsht... how can they prohibit something like this, especially when it's used for self defense purposes? Pepper spray, taser gun, etc.... these 'weapons' are not lethal by any means and can prevent an attack effectively.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Quote Originally Posted by Polska
    Yeah that's bullsht... how can they prohibit something like this, especially when it's used for self defense purposes? Pepper spray, taser gun, etc.... these 'weapons' are not lethal by any means and can prevent an attack effectively.
    I totally agree. I don't know about the tazer (although it would be cool, like the guys that shoot out attachments on wires, and zap the person). But AT LEAST pepper spray should be 100% legal. ESPECIALLY FOR WOMEN!

Well, I didn't write the criminal code of Canada... I just occasionally use it at work, and seeing as I have an interest in protecting myself (like everyone else) I kinda researched those "options".

One of the rent-a-cops at work got nailed with posession of a spring-steel baton and he was lucky the real cops didn't press charges... they just confiscated it and gave him a warning.

And yes I agree... it sucks ass. Welcome to Canada

Red

slamd097 is offline Banned
    that was done here in AZ...alot of the rencher here use those things. Ill tell ya this, one of those things comes chargin at me I woulod want that thing or more!! nothing like 1200# of horn and muscle coming at you..makes you crap your pants real quick.Besides..I know a few peta people I would like to taser!!

Actually slamd what ranchers use are "Cattle prods"

There is a difference between a cattle prod and a tazer.

A tazer is a very high voltage and low aperage device meant to short circuit ones motor nervous system, rendering most people quite vegetative for a few minutes. Not pleasant and somewhat painfull.

On the other hand, a cattle prod (which ranchers use all around the world, including here) is not as high voltage and a bit higher higher amperage device meant to not incapacitate the nervous system but cause as much pain as possible. Used mostly to convince livestock to go this way or that way. I've seen what it does to a 1000 lbs cow, major ouchies!

Tazers are used by many police agencies as a non-lethal way to immobilize a resisting suspect, and by law abiding citizens as non-lethal personal protection. Cattle prods are used as a torture device on people by corrupt police, military and I would suspect terrorist "interrogators".

Red
    The endless well of useless trivia
    Last edited by Red Ketchup; 02-02-2004 at 09:21 AM.

Xavier_4446 is offline Senior Member
    are we talking aobut the tazers that you have to touch them with or the ones that like shoot those thing at them then juice the hell out of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_4446
    are we talking aobut the tazers that you have to touch them with or the ones that like shoot those thing at them then juice the hell out of them?
    All the same here...

But as an added bonus, if you have a propelled tazer that uses a blank cartridge as propellant, its then considered a restricted firearm... so instead of 1 to 5 years, you get 5-10 years.

I'll stick to my blackjack (which is not on the prohibited weapons list but is still a concealed weapon).

Red

sataniccronic is offline New Member
    dont unless you get a lisance you will get raided if u live in canada..... i know cus it happend to me and now i got cort

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by sataniccronic View Post
    dont unless you get a lisance you will get raided if u live in canada..... i know cus it happend to me and now i got cort
    you realize this was over 8 years ago. He could have got one, then got raided, then to prison and been released already
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member

dren is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    you realize this was over 8 years ago. He could have got one, then got raided, then to prison and been released already
    hopefully he remembers his pass word and let us know the do's and dont's lmao

Thread Information