Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Babyweight is offline Female Member

Mind Blowing Genius vs. Average thread

Here's one.
    What I want is peoples perspective on the thought process of genius' vs. the average person. I've done SOME research, apparently not enough, but still want to know what some of your thoughts are on a genius mind.
    Does anyone here on AR have loved ones, friends, companions who are genius'??? Or are you yourself one. I hate to single out anyone, as I have mentioned in a previous thread....but I like to know differences and I like to compare..hey what can I say..I have alot of time on my hands lately.
    From what I've learned......they are sometimes socially awkward people and their thought process comes from out of nowhere, whereas what we say a "so called average person's' thought process can be linked and traced.
    To be extremely perseverative....what exactly does this mean? I know one can have mindsets, and will think repetitively til there is an answer....
    But to use a completely different part of the brain just blows my mind...
    Just when we thought Men & Women were different....It's like the minds are from a completely different planet.
    Sometimes such a simple task can be so difficult for a "so called" genius...whereas what we would think would be practically impossible would be simlplified almost immediately with this type of mind. And one would think this mind would make rational decisions. Go Figure.
    Of course I have to bring in the relationship part.... Is this even possible??? Or do both people have to be a genius to even relate to one another...lol
    Sorry again for the rant....but my mind is going haywire again and when I get a mindset on something, I like opinions...
    Pheedno.....if there is anyone, I know I'd love to hear your opinion. Hell I don't know what happened to Big Green.... But I sure do miss him when situations like this arise in my mind..

Much Love!! Babyweight

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    Feel free to ask me and Bigol' any questions you want
    Last edited by PurePower; 02-02-2004 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PurePower
    well, gee, thanks whats that supposed to mean...

mass junkie is offline banned
    Your statement is very vague maybe you should post a scenario and have every one respond with a pm instead of posting on this thread .....that way you can truely see how people process things differently

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    My girlfriend is GENIUS level. Her entire family is rated as GENIUS level. She wont tell me what her IQ rating is. She scored almost perfect on SATs. A+ average throughout ENITRE schooling including college bachelors. Working on Masters. Graduated highschool 2 years ahead of class. Her sister did the same thing. Her brother is 8 years younger than she is and he is also genius level although computer games and lack of homework keep him from good grades.

Relationship wise: We balance each other out. Not opposites or anything but we make up where the other one leaves off. Give me 20,000 dollars, and I could triple it in a month. I can design and visualize anything in my head.
    Her: She can tutor MIT students with their math problems, she can speak 4 different languages fluently, and she can retain any book knowledge and put it to practical use.

My outlook on genius's Many of the renound geniuss cant relate to society in the same way average people do. The way they dress, the way they speak to people, and just general things is a different world for them.
    Many of them are on medication for depression, anti depression, chemical inbalance, etc.
    My girlfriends family may all be high level geniuss but they all have their medication that needs to be taken just to balance in society. Fatigue, anxiety, etc.
    Me however, the non genius average guy needs no medication, can adapt to mental and physical surrounds easier, no alergies and good physical genetics.

Our child is either gonna have both of our traits and be awesome or he is gonna have some serious problems My intelligence with her physical conditions. Not good.
    Or her intelligence with my physical conditions. Very good.

Relating with one another. Depends on what each of you are looking for. If the smart person is dead set on conversing intellectually with the mate all the time then that person will be geared towards the same intellect. Or maybe that person wants to explore the other side of life that he/she doesnt get to experience. So, he/she will be attracted to someone who excells in what he/she does not excell in just to be around that sort of experience.
    Kinda how the sweet innocent girl is usually attracted to the asshole dick sorta guy.
    She has been around sweet polite guys all her life and is sick of it so she rebels and finds a guy she is curious about and has little experience with.

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    Nice post Babyweight.. I been exposed to some brillant people, in my 23 years of existance.. Not yet to meet a recognized genius, but some people blow me away by their advanced thought process.. The differences i've noticed between these people, and ordinary people are like night and day.. I feel, that there are no born geniuses.. Genius' are taught.. There are however people who can put little effort into a subject and easily process the information very quickly to arrive at an answer... This gives the impression as someone genius-like, to an ordinary person.. I believe that everyone is born with a special skill.. something that you can do better then others, something that takes little effort to accomplish, compared to someone that would take all day to finish the same task.. In comparison to know genius' like Newton, Einstein, and Hawkins... These people can process complicated information so fast that, it would take an ordinary person years to understand, because their thought process was not developed as early as these genius'.. In other words, a genius is truly on another level, compared to an ordinary person.. Many extremely smart people come close, but from a genius' reference point they would be struggling to comprehend.. I've yet to meet an extremely brillant person that is on a social level as many of us.. It seems true that, having skills at comprehending much more sophisticated info, these brillant people lack in the common sense to hold a conversation pertaining to something not so difficult to understand, in an ordinary persons eyes.. I think it has alot to do with.. the way the brain can register, and manipulate information pertaining to certain subjects, and this has everything to do with hereditary genes.. Neurophysics is such a complicated subject, it's ridiculous.. But i think the answer lies on our shoulders.. If you havn't watched it yet 'A Beautiful Mind' is a very good movie.. It's a true story that pertains to exactly what you are describing..

LOL...i'm out of breath
    Last edited by monster.; 02-02-2004 at 11:03 PM.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by monster.
    Nice post Babyweight.. I been exposed to some brillant people, in my 23 years of existance.. Not yet to meet a recognized genius, but some people blow me away by their advanced thought process.. The differences i've noticed between these people, and ordinary people are like night and day.. I feel, that there are no born geniuses.. Genius' are taught.. There are however people who can put little effort into a subject and easily process the information very quickly to arrive at an answer... This gives the impression as someone genius-like, to an ordinary person.. I believe that everyone is born with a special skill.. something that you can do better then others, something that takes little effort to accomplish, compared to someone that would take all day to finish the same task.. In comparison to know genius' like Newton, Einstein, and Hawkins... These people can process complicated information so fast that, it would take an ordinary person years to understand, because their thought process was not developed as early as these genius'.. In other words, a genius is truly on another level, compared to an ordinary person.. Many extremely smart people come close, but from a genius' reference point they would be struggling to comprehend.. I've yet to meet an extremely brillant person that is on a social level as many of us.. It seems true that, having skills at comprehending much more sophisticated info, these brillant people lack in the common sense to hold a conversation pertaining to something not so difficult to understand.. I think it has alot to do with.. the way the brain can register, and manipulate information pertaining to certain subjects, and this has everything to do with hereditary genes.. Neurophysics is such a complicated subject, it's ridiculous.. But i think the answer lies on our shoulders.. If you havn't watched it yet 'A Beautiful Mind' is a very good movie.. It's a true story that pertains to exactly what you are describing..

LOL...i'm out of breath

Lmao....I saw that you were on this thread for like 20 minutes.......

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    Lmao....I saw that you were on this thread for like 20 minutes.......
    LOL..was it that long..haha It sounded like i kept repeating myself, and i had to make changes..haha

That good will hunting show is a good example.
    I feel genius is somethign you are born with. Just the way your brain works. I dont feel you can become a genius. You either have it from birth or you dont.
    Someitimes genius level comes and goes forever. At age 12, a kid could be 200 IQ for 4 years and then after that, the memory retention fades and that person is unable to translate and understand the notes he made during those years. I cant remember the technical term for it. Kinda like puberty in a way.

There are differences between people with photographic memory and people who can actually understand what they are remembering. Someone can remember an entire chemistry book but not understand why such chemicals react with others. He merely just knows what will happen and not why. Where as a true genius with photographic can put it all to use and possibly write a follow up book to what he read.

Some people are able to use their brains in different ways. Draw a picture with their left hand, solve a math problem with their right hand and have a conversation with someone ALL AT THE SAME TIME. The brain is able to do several different things at the same time without jumping back and fourth between. Total simultaneous.

nostawk is offline Associate Member
    hmmm......................................im high

Thanks so much Mass, Monster, Bermich...you guys have no idea....and I don't even smoke! I absolutely loved Goodwill Hunting....and never saw a Beautiful mind.. That will be a good rental this week for sure.
    And I know Bermich exactly what you are saying.. but I'm talking way beyond Masters intelligence...believe it or not there is a difference....some of it is learned rather quickly....but I am talking about what comes naturally...
    It just makes me feel more and more like an idiot...... I mean, I can go on all night, just coming up with all kinds of debates with these guys, and it will just make me crazy....God what have I gotten myself into..

Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    Kinda how the sweet innocent girl is usually attracted to the asshole dick sorta guy.
    She has been around sweet polite guys all her life and is sick of it so she rebels and finds a guy she is curious about and has little experience with.
    Great example!!!!!

I know it goes beyond masters intelligence. Just trying to give somewhat of a picture.
    I often question myself on a lot of that. Do I seem like an idiot to her. Does she feel like she is talking down to me in order for me to comprehend. Does she try to not act so smart around me, etc.
    Its not an inferiority complex. It is just trying to keep her from being bored intellectually.
    What is the problem you are dealing with BW? Are you the Genisu or do you know someone who is and are trying to relate to him?

Call me up on the cell and we can talk about it baby

IWhat is the problem you are dealing with BW? Are you the Genisu or do you know someone who is and are trying to relate to him?
    Just trying so hard to understand sweets.....please check your pm.....

nostawk is offline Associate Member
    this is some crazy anabolic drama goin up in here

Quote Originally Posted by Babyweight
    well, gee, thanks whats that supposed to mean...

A failed attempt at humor =-)

Now you check your PM BW.

Swellin Guest
    I have been around quite a few people with "genius" level IQ's. It is quite a surreal scene when those with comparable levels of aptitude and extremely differing backgrounds get together. Some of these high IQ's excel in scholastic endeavors, while others do not. Some reach a certain point where the constant ridicule causes rebellion. Others suffer from various incapacities such as the ones Bermich mentioned and are relegated to a lifetime of drugs to level themselves. Some need the drugs to cope with their own minds, while others need the drugs to cope with society.

For instance: two brothers, cousins of mine, both have surreal IQ’s. One got a “double e” from Ga Tech then got his masters and doctorate from MIT in electrical engineering. While at MIT, he worked with NASA for several years developing new technology. He married a young lady that is completing a double degree from MIT and Harvard Med. Both are somewhat social misfits.

The younger brother has been a drug-abusing salesman of various products. He sold vinyl siding, antiques on the Internet, long distance phone service, and stocks for Merill Lynch (sp). He eventually got his MBA from Emory University. He played sports, and is an outgoing person.

Both of these individuals attack problems in a similar way. They skip small steps, but get bogged down with intricacies of a complex means of solving only a portion of the problem. They plan well in advance of the attack. A pen and paper yields a solution to almost anything.

Your average thinker often attacks with the mere points of A and Z. He is here and needs to get there. He gets the project rolling before plotting the steps. Don’t be misled…many geniuses often do the same thing. When working through the problem, they are quick enough to not get bogged down in the minutia.

A husband and wife…the husband has a genius IQ, but rebelled due to constant belittling by his peers. His father was very intelligent, but he chose the route of being a “man’s man.” The son immerses himself in “manly” things, rather than scholarly things. He effectively dumbs himself down by avoiding the scholastic success. He also develops a need for different drugs. ADHD is a problem, but he manages to get through HS in the top 10 in his class...without drugs…while rebelling. He later gets a bachelors…barely (he was a quite a social person, that secretly wrestled with the great questions about life…but dare not admit it).

The wife is a very studious individual…with higher than average intelligence, but nowhere near genius IQ. She is pushed to succeed by her parents. She learns to cultivate that drive and excels in school, but is not a social person. She does well in her scholastic endeavors, and is comfortable with an unfulfilling job that pays very well.

The husband is ever searching for the opportunity to make his mark…whatever it may be. He grasps concepts quickly! He forgets when it is time to eat lunch. He is rather eccentric, while she is more of a plain Jane. She needs things to be spelled out, while he merely needs points A and D…he can make up his own B & C. She needs them all.

I know my ramblings will make very little sense, but maybe you can scavenge some bit of useful information for the sake of your comparison.

I guess the point of these ramblings is that due to the different forms of genius and the different routes taken by those with such high intellect, it will be very difficult for you to make a generalization about the different thought processes. Each has similarities and differences. Those represented in movies are not the standard by which all genius thought patterns are to be judged. Just as the thought patterns exhibited in movies such as Rambo or What Women Want to be seen as the standard for all average Joes.

Best advice. Be yourself. Dont try to be smart to interest him. Maybe it just makes him less interested in you. Maybe he wants to be around someone average instead of always being around people he associates with at school and work. Maybe being around you is relaxing and he doesnt have to stand up to all of his pressures that he doesnt wanna bother you with at this moment.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla

Actually i think there are different forms of genius... im not a big dictionary like some people.. But, I retain a Lot of what i read and do.. I have taken more than 1 IQ test and have scored 145+... Im just to lazy to apply myself..

I do have a photographic memory for #'s though... One time I was flashed a series of #'s and remembered em all... shocking a couple folks... and your right about the thoughts jumping sporatically, it happens to a lot of people.. just pops into the head.

yes i am the same as you bigol'

My memory is ver sharp i do not forget ANYTHING.

my IQ isnt all that good its a 121.

Actually i think there are different forms of genius... im not a big dictionary like some people.. But, I retain a Lot of what i read and do.. I have taken more than 1 IQ test and have scored 145+... Im just to lazy to apply myself..

I do have a photographic memory for #'s though... One time I was flashed a series of #'s and remembered em all... shocking a couple folks...

Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    I do have a photographic memory for #'s though... One time I was flashed a series of #'s and remembered em all... shocking a couple folks...
    HAHA...And for your next trick you successfully, juggle machettes and flaming torches while you leg press 2000lbs for reps

<<golf clap>>

HAHA...And for your next trick you successfully, juggle machettes and flaming torches while you leg press 2000lbs for reps

<<golf clap>>

are you crazy? how would i be able to bench 400 while im doing a 2k press if I have chainsaws in my hands?

You guys even jack Babies threads. OMG. Thats so uncool.

Swellin Guest
    I didn't...I gave a lengthy response! Evidently, it was so lengthy and meandering that it was not read...or it was useless.

neither swellin... good post.

and i have to retort to a flame..

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I know someone at work who knows everything about everything - I swear... if book knowledge could simply make you a million dollars - this guy would be a billionaire. The only thing is he lacks basic street knowledge and how to basically "fit in" with others. One of my buddies has a Psyc major and says that the guy fits the character profile of a physcopath and serial killer... And this guy is issued weapons daily...

Quote Originally Posted by swellin
    I didn't...I gave a lengthy response! Evidently, it was so lengthy and meandering that it was not read...or it was useless.

Useless to say the least.. I just read your post..only it took me a few times to read it just so it would sink in. Thanks so much...

Best advice. Be yourself. Dont try to be smart to interest him. Maybe it just makes him less interested in you. Maybe he wants to be around someone average instead of always being around people he associates with at school and work. Maybe being around you is relaxing and he doesnt have to stand up to all of his pressures that he doesnt wanna bother you with at this moment.

Bermich, It's not a problem being myself in front of him at all...If it's anything, that is what sparked him in the first place. I think he just got scared. That along with a few other issues that he may need to iron out(on his part).
    It's funny because we have both been diagnosed with ADD, which I don't think is a good thing. But hey.....whose perfect!!!

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Well, you can toss an IQ score out of the window. It is an intelligence quotient so to speak, but I've known a guy who scores above 120 everytime he's taken an IQ test, but can't do remedial algebra.
    You also have to look at idiot savants. A person with absolutely no capacity for social interaction, or even learning in any form; BUT, they have one area that their brain excels in; whether it be music, math, etc. I also think that most genius' are not people who can excell in every subject, or skill they apply themselves to, those are people who just have exceptional understanding of possiblity and ability. A genius I think is someone whos intellect is focused on one specific area, kind of the case with an I.S., but still holds social skills and the intelligence for other areas in life
    The thought proccess of a genius is not one that can be difinitively or specifically traced or routed as the complexity of the mind allows for literaly, millions of pathways in which it takes on it's responsibilities to work and function. This is the case with a so called "average joe" as well, it's just that the definition of simplicity(speaking of the minds path of function) changes with the individual.

I supppose your looking for insight on capable compatibility with this new gentleman you've recently met?
    It's simple, compatiblity is a mixing of traits and characteristics. While this man might seem to be a person with an elevated intelligence level, it does not excuse the other characteristics both of you hold in which compatibility is a possiblity. Besides, BW, your not exactly a person of decended intelligence, in any way or form.
    You've mentioned he might be scared off? Well, I wouldn't begin to try and pry into your relationships, but it seems to me that he has some pondering to do. His intelligence doesn't seem to be a reason of resistence on your part, and from past readings, both of you have hit it off. If he's pulling away, I'd guess he's intimidated by you

Swellin Guest
    You mentioned ADD (now called ADHD). I have it as well. My wife works in the medical field, but still can't grasp what it is really like. In fact, me having it and her not completely understanding the severity has led to a few spats. The problem with both of you having ADHD.... nobody will ever remember to pick up milk. The kid might get left at daycare for days on end. Bills might never get paid. (This is hyperbole, but you get the point.) On the other hand, the spontaneity will keep things interesting. Relax…take it easy and don’t fret over it. If this is such a sticking point with you that you felt compelled to start a thread about it…you might be placing too much emphasis on it.

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....Swellin, for some reason i could see you speaking your post out loud as you typed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOLLLLLLLLLLL

Swellin Guest
    LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....Swellin, for some reason i could see you speaking your post out loud as you typed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOLLLLLLLLLLL
    That means I did a fine job of typing what I meant. You were able to visualize it...and hear me telling it.

That was kind of funny when I read your post.

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    I may have a few salient observations. First, lets define intelligence. Is it knowledge? To me no. Knowledge is a consequence of intelligence, but is not in and of itself so. What I mean is: the person who has memorized droves of data is not necesssarily super intelligent. I used to see this all the time in chemistry class. the premeds memorized reactions. the chemists learned why they happened so as to apply them to other situations. My definition? Intelligence is the ability to learn and understand. Second. Most people never take "real" IQ tests. If it is only written, then it is poor. I took one long ago (as a child) and it had 4 typical written parts (knowledge based), a creative part (story telling and artistic), psychoanalysis, logic tests, and spatial recognition. The big idea is that people can be "genius" in different areas. While Einstein may have been gifted in physics, and Beethoven was in music, L.T. was undoubtably gifted in football. He was even once asked how he was always in the right place and his response was that he just knew what was going to happen before it did. They all had an ability to understand something quicker and better than others. Now in the previous cases, the talent would have been wasted if not for an enabling ability as well be it math, manual dexterity, or physical prowess respectively.

Now why does this matter? Well, many of the most intelligent people Ive ever met were completely screwed up and many didnt do much with their lives. Plain and simple, an ounce of determination is worth more than a pound of talent. I think in many cases if things come too easily then the person doesn't care about it. We generally put more value on things we work hard for. That and I think society ostracizes those that are "odd" such as the talented. This further marnginalizes them. There have been others who were merely intelligent that did this to themselves because they derive self-worth from the "intelligent" designation and so work hard to seem such. Ive seen this over and over. Usually its started by overzealous parenting. IE the youngsters MUST be the smartest.

As far as relationships go, I don't know, ask my girlfriend seriously, I don't think the intelligence difference will matter. Its all in the quirks. If your quirks and his quirks are compatible it will work. If you are worried about high-browed conversation and such all the times, then likely he is trying hard to impress upon people that he is "smart". Those that are truely talented usually try to seem ordinary but most of the time overcompensating and being either too shy (kajagoogoo?) or being very wild. Also, they like doing things (like watching movies) that don't require much brain power.

These are just my opinions however. Remember...it is the lucky one who has a job doing something they are talented at and they are passionate about.

rainman was a genius.

Yeah, I know.....and I JUST NOW got it.....I'm such an idiot sometimes.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Bump...........me tooooooo...

but i do what i love.............

Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs

The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

One time, I wrote down my grocery list, forgot to take the list with me, and guess what.
    I bought EVERYTHING that was on the list and I didnt even have it with me.

One time, I was lost and I had my ID bracelet on. A cop asked where I lived and I told him without even having to look at my bracelet with the address on it.

One time, in 2 grade, I had to memorize all the states alphabetically and I named all 50 of them without stopping.

One time, an asteroid was seen hurtling towards Earth and no one knew whether its path would be interupted by Earth so, they called me up and asked me to formulate an asteral projectioin of the asteroids destination. Turns out that I was the only one who could solve the equation leading to the discovery that Earth was well out of the path by a good 3000 Kilometers. I mean anyone would have known that if they carried the one over 3 decimal points but NASA kept trying to drop the remainder as if it really didnt matter but sure enough, as I have shown them: IT DID......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information