bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member

Personal Training Certifications

Hey Guys,
    Recently I decided to pursue a career (at least part time) as a personal trainer. Now I know a lot of hard core lifters look down on commercialized type trainers, but I think that I can bring in some useful tools while still helping people doing something I love. My question is about the actual company to go through. From what I gather ACE, ACSM NSCA arent great but NASM and IFPA are the better of the bunch. of those two which is the better one. I checked with a gym that doesnt accept IFPA so that makes me question that cert. I dont want to pay 400 for a cert. and not be able to use it everywhere...what are your opinions?

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    I wish I had your patience... I lack patience terribly with out of shape people to begin with... My opinion.. get as many certs as you can.. You'll make the money back in no time bro

Needtobeswoledup is offline Associate Member
    I'm currently trying to get NASM cert myself. Seems to be the hardest to get and most widely accepted(at least around here)

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    NASM... I got it, dont use it, prob never use it, have trainned here and their in the past, but dont have the patients for people that dont really want to put the time, nor effort into physical fitness...
    Go with NASM...

Needtobeswoledup is offline Associate Member
    Bigboy: Just curious what do u do now?

Hitter is offline New Member
    Here is the real deal on personal training certifications and why they are good and bad.

1. Most of them are online distance learning courses
    2. They are nationally recognized because they are on the web
    3. There are no local, City ,State, Government boards to take be be certified
    4. Your lucky if you get a weekend seminar( and what are you learning in a weekend)
    5. You need to take state exams for a hair dresser though a trainer needs nothing, thats why there are many certifications out there
    6. You will pay over $500 then need to get CPR certified for another $100 outside the course cuase they cant so that online.
    7.Who really certifies them to certify you..I had an argument with one owner that said he had an Masters in English and he created the program.... BIG DEAL.
    8.There is nothing you could learn by buying a book and teach yourself,,though you need a Certificate to work in a Health Club.
    9.Do your homework,.,,see if you could find a course at the college so you could really learn,,or there are many small companies that train people in a classroom atmosphere of a few weeks(thats where you will really get the most bang for the buck)
    10. research..

MY 10 CENTS
    Last edited by Hitter; 02-11-2004 at 03:32 AM.

Symian is offline Member
    I have an NDEITA cert. and I don't use it anymore. Here in Texas you don't have to be certified to train, and I did a little here and there before getting certified, but I didn't feel right without it. Now that I have it, I've come to realize that I don't like training because I get frustrated with lazy people. I guess I'm too hard core for most of the general public.

If I did train, I'd be like the guy off of the Osbornes that trained Jack and Ozzy. All militaristic! But Jack's a lazy F***, and what would annoy the crap out of me!

Sym

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Thanks for the responses....personally i feel that i can train with success and have no certs, but the health clubs around me beg to differ so i will become certified. i realize that i will not be training hardcore lifters and dieters like myself, but im pretty sick of seeing people get fat and wonder why. i want to help in some way and think i have the patience to do so. Any more comments on NASM vs. IFPA?

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Funny stuff Sym, can I help. Kelly get your whiny azz down and give me 20. That would be fun.

Thread Information