mfenske is offline Member

Serious question for the ladies

OK here's what I wanna know. If you don't mind telling me so I want to know if you are on any sort of contraceptive and what if any effects it had on you and your workouts. I ask because my wife is considering an oral contraceptive (Tri-phasal, tri-cyclen, etc.) is leary to take it for fear that the additional hormones in her system will mess her up in the gym. She is also somewhat concerned about weight gain (although I think her very clean diet might fight that) and loss of libido. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks. Mark

ttuPrincess Guest
    Have her look into Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo.. its the same thing as regualr pills, but has a lower dose of hormones... I gained weight on the regualr, but have seen no weight gain on the Lo.. it may also be called Ortho Tri- Cyclen Low, but the OB should know what shes talking about...... GOOD LUCK!

ttuPrincess Have her look into Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo.. its the same thing as regualr pills, but has a lower dose of hormones... I gained weight on the regualr, but have seen no weight gain on the Lo.. it may also be called Ortho Tri- Cyclen Low, but the OB should know what shes talking about...... GOOD LUCK!
    ttuPrincess thanks for the speedy reply. I am assuming this product is as effective as standard hormonal methods? She is currently finishing her degree and is starting a sweet internship here in a few days so we just want to make sure there aren't any little mfenske's in the near future. Thanks again. Mark

ttuPrincess Guest
    No it is just as effective as the regular.. and with less side effects! Actually my cramps, bloating and PMS are much less of a pain on the Lo then on the regular ... Thank God for those doctors!!!

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    a few things. 1) the pill shouldnt do anything to the workouts. 2) weight gain means that the dosing is wrong. a comprehensive study that just cam out showed this. as an aside, in most cases as a woman gets older will need to adjust her dosage downward. 3) Ortho is not the same as regular pills, if there is such a thing its considered a 4th gen progestin. it would be like saying anavar is the same as test prop.

http://www.fpnotebook.com/GYN121.htm

other than that, tutuprincess (sexy little dancer!) is correctamundo!

ttuPrincess Guest
    Not trying to be fiesty or anything, but where did you get your information from? I have taken 3 different types of pills before the Lo's and all of them (perscribed by 3 different doc's) have caused weight gain...this is due to the levels of hormones in the pills.. the Lo have less of this hormone causing less weight gain... it is not meant for everyone, because some women need more of the said hormone to keep their body from allowing an egg to be released..but with this amount of hormones being placed in the body weight gain is inevitable without proper exercise and diet..

You are correct about the Ortho not being the same as the regular, but this is because what you are probably considering regular are infact the type of pill that is no longer being used.... There is a new hormone that is being used (found about 7 years ago)... it is used in the Ortho pills.... which are the most widely used pills now a days...
    Just to clarify a bit!!!!!

ttuPrincess Guest
    But all of this could be irrelivant (sp??) because she may not qualify for the Lo pills, it is up to the doctor to see if her body will react right to the Lo dosage or not...... Another side not is that not all women gain weight form the pill.. it is listed as a side effect because it happens in more than 20% of women.... my roommate is just one example of a female who has lost weight while on it with no exercise or diet.... she in fact lost 15 lbs... it varies from woman to woman... so you will just have to try different kinds till you find what works best for her!

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    Every woman reacts differently to the various forms of birth control. There is one option that does not involve any hormones and is very effective. The IUD. I have had mine for years and I love it. No hormones, no pills, no shots. There are several forms of the IUD ... there is one I think that puts out a low dose of hormone. I have the other one. The pill made me sick, I got pregnant on it twice. I went to the shot and went from 115 to 149! The IUD was a great option for me.

On the downside...it may cause some change in her flow and cramping until she gets used to it. And...if you are well endowed....you may hit it once in a while depending on position and depth of penetration.

That enough info for you??

Of course......I ain't getting it right now .... so it's all a mute point!!
    Last edited by Commando_Barbi; 02-09-2004 at 06:31 PM.
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

Commando_Barbi Every woman reacts differently to the various forms of birth control. There is one option that does not involve any hormones and is very effective. The IUD. I have had mine for years and I love it. No hormones, no pills, no shots. There are several forms of the IUD ... there is one I think that puts out a low dose of hormone. I have the other one. The pill made me sick, I got pregnant on it twice. I went to the shot and went from 115 to 149! The IUD was a great option for me. On the downside...it may cause some change in her flow and cramping until she gets used to it. And...if you are well endowed....you may hit it once in a while depending on position and depth of penetration.
    Yeah, that was the kind of info I was looking for. As far as hitting the IUD, not too concerned about that . Thanks for the input. Mark

I don't remember where the study was, but it was on cnn or usatoday. my gf went through a period of weight gain, loss of sex drive etc. the doc lowered her dose and voila... it got better. typically the weight gain is the estrogen they add to balance you out. if you are gaining weight then you are out of balance. if you look on the link that I gave, there is actually a clinical decision tree about side effects. weight gain being one. for example, if you look to lo/ovral and a side effect is weight gain, one might consider switching to loestrin. granted in some cases the weight gain may be unavoidable. but if I remember the study correctly, by and large, it was improper choice and/or dosing. Ill continue to look for it.

as for the type of hormone. by and large they are all progestegenic. just various types. right now, almost everybody uses 3rd and 4th gen stuff. there is also multiple types of the 4th gen stuff. for example. Ortho tri-cyclen is chemically different from orthocept (3rd gen is the same. Loestrin is different than allese).

btw. no need to feel bad tutu. i like fiesty women!

takara is offline Junior Member
    I use ortho-evra(the patch).... the great thing about it is that it won't remove even when you are sweating or getting wet. It had no effect on my weight or the performance I put out in the gym. The only thing it did was intensify my cramps and bleeding during the first period in which I used it. Everything was golden after that.

peace

Takara

Danielle is offline Female Member
    personally, i've never taken any type of contraceptive.........i also am scared of the weight gain
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

CutieFace Guest
    Can't help you w/ this one....sorry

Cutie

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    uuuhhhggg........I just read through these posts...should have known better....TMI!!

peace,

ttgb

danielle... never taken any!!! wow. to be honest, sex with condoms is not even a comparison to without (my gf aggress) and well, we are just not ready for a kid. afterall, you know what they call those that use natural family planning??

parents!

Even if my wife uses the pill we're still using both. Id much rather sacrifice a little pleasure for say 30 minutes versus having kids. Mark

Danielle is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffylyte
    danielle... never taken any!!! wow. to be honest, sex with condoms is not even a comparison to without (my gf aggress) and well, we are just not ready for a kid. afterall, you know what they call those that use natural family planning??

parents!

lol........welllllll............i didnt say i never had sex without a condom either........o well.......i guess im playing with fire.......but i've been lucky so far..........
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

Thread Information