Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Investing..

Stea7jjdyEddie is offline Associate Member
    Spy great posting...........I am in NYC and about to invest in small duplex housing with a friend.....just starting to research the areas and a couple of other variables......Hopefully everything will work out in the long run!!!!!

Peace....

Steadyyyyy.......

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    Sun Micro is on top of my list too...

Along with EMC, JDS Uniphase and AMD

Any opinions on this would be great...

Got in on EMC months ago at a good price...

Looking to add to my position in it over the next few months...

Quote Originally Posted by daman1
    Sun Microsystems. They are concocting a new type of Java Script. Supposed to be pretty beneficial.

Da Bull is offline Banned
    I can't urge all of you enough to not make the same mistakes ppl made in the late 90's.

Why anyone would buy in at the top is beyond me.......this market is OVER BOUGHT!!!

Stay on the sidelines til you get a real nice dip.Once earning season is over,the market will get flat,then in the summer you'll get your dip.Have patience ppl.

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbol
    you can claim losses on stocks when you have held them for over 1 year,i do it all the time...its on your schedule d on form 1040,same form you use for capitol gains..
    yeah you can do that, but he wants to invest his money for a 12 - 18 months. not if he pulls out before that year he cant claim. also it has to be in the same stock for over a year. another problem with that is for investing you dont wanna loose your money at all, you wanna make your money make more!! why would he want to invest his money when at the end when he wants to pull out he'll have less then when he started? unless your in the roon with the squak box, i say investing in stocks sucks
    Last edited by jcstomper; 02-10-2004 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    best way to take money fast in realestate..

control the developement...

would you be suprised if i said i can build a house for $27 per square foot?? without the cost of the land..........

and the average new house here is $95 and $128 per square foot....

remember though........... he only wanted to invest for 12-18 months....

realestate, and land development are always the way to go..

also.. check with local area's there are alot of low interest rate loans for redevelopment in housing areas.... and grants if you are a minority or hire mostly minorites.........

just a thought..........
    i completly agree with ya, im a contractor, ill leave it at that lol

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull
    I can't urge all of you enough to not make the same mistakes ppl made in the late 90's.

Why anyone would buy in at the top is beyond me.......this market is OVER BOUGHT!!!

Stay on the sidelines til you get a real nice dip.Once earning season is over,the market will get flat,then in the summer you'll get your dip.Have patience ppl.
    Is that what they mean by "buy low...sell high"??

Damit...no wonder I can't ever make money in the markets.

Wish I had a crystal ball...now that would be cool!

Quote Originally Posted by jcstomper
    yeah you can do that, but he wants to invest his money for a 12 - 18 months. not if he pulls out before that year he cant claim. also it has to be in the same stock for over a year. another problem with that is for investing you dont wanna loose your money at all, you wanna make your money make more!! why would he want to invest his money when at the end when he wants to pull out he'll have less then when he started? unless your in the roon with the squak box, i say investing in stocks sucks
    In the roon with CNBC??What kind of statement is that??Do you think all the ppl at CNBC trade on a daily basis??LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingtogetbig
    Is that what they mean by "buy low...sell high"??

Damit...no wonder I can't ever make money in the markets.

Wish I had a crystal ball...now that would be cool!
    LOL....a crystal ball would be nice,not sure it could predict human emotion though...because that is what the market is run on,plain and simple.

In the roon with CNBC??What kind of statement is that??Do you think all the ppl at CNBC trade on a daily basis??LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    NOT THAT SQUAK BOX, IM TALKING ABOUT A REAL SQUAK BOX IN THE TRADING FLOORS no but i dont feel like waiting that long to make alot of money. so day trading would be more on what i would be looking to do. i dont feel like investing it, and then have to wait years for it to turn into what im looking for. so id perfer squak box trading instead of long term.... and im not talking aobut the cnbc squak box!!!! im not that dumb. im talking about the real ones in the offices where the runners that go to the floor.
    Last edited by jcstomper; 02-10-2004 at 05:27 PM.

jbol is offline Senior Member

as much as i hate to say it your probably right,but thats not what i expected to hear from someone with a name da bull...

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Any ideas for old hoss to buy stock? My ass needs to contribute to my retirement fund lol

Quote Originally Posted by hoss827
    Any ideas for old hoss to buy stock? My ass needs to contribute to my retirement fund lol
    At your age bro...start an IRA.

i agree.............good advice

exactly, great advise there, good ol roth ira, no taxes lol. exspecially at your age hoss, by 30 youll have a good chunk of change to chill with

QbHunter is offline Associate Member
    where do you guys think is the best place to start an IRA as far as on-line

Quote Originally Posted by QbHunter
    where do you guys think is the best place to start an IRA as far as on-line
    There are so many on-line brokers bro......if your just opening on IRA on-line,pick a broker that doesn't charge you a fee for the trading platform.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Ok people..........

this is the exact advice.. it is somewhat timing the market.......... but it is your best bet......... trends........ and history do repeat themselves......

Good luck.......

The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

The best thing anyone ever taught me on how to make alot of money...

ok.......... here is the secret........

Find people that do make alot of money....... listen to them...

not the guy at mcdonalds......or the ditch digger.....or your buds.........

Do what successful people do........ if you are more successful than all your friends........get new ones........ surround yourself with people that are better than you are..... that's the only way you will get better...

body building
    making money
    eating pussy.............

It don't matter.........

Rules

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    It is a shame you didn't have this money a year ago and invest in the airline industry, they were doing ****ty. The economy is in an upswing now and I bet any blue chipper you invest in would be safe. Airline industrys will do well considering there are no other terrorist hijackings

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member

Do what successful people do........ if you are more successful than all your friends........get new ones........ surround yourself with people that are better than you are..... that's the only way you will get better...

body building
    making money

It don't matter.........
    GREAT advice!!! You are only as good as the people you surround yourself with!

peace,

ttgb

body building
    making money

It don't matter.........
    holy sh-t, you sound like me when i talk to my mom about real estate. she talks to the people she works with about it and they all say its not a good way to make money. now she doesnt understand she works at freaking sams club. a place that pays there best workers around 12 bucks a hour. i say to her, if your gonna listen to them about getting rich, you may as well go ask the homeless guy down the street on how to get rich.

you learn from people that are better then you. its just the way it works, and yes it does pertain to everything you will ever do in life. you become as good as the people around you. its just natural.

Thanks......... my point in this thread....... is .....

listen to dabull............

if he says wait....... and gives you the timing..........you only have yourself to blame if you miss the boat......

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by tryingtogetbig
    GREAT advice!!! You are only as good as the people you surround yourself with!

peace,

ttgb

Rules

Thanks......... my point in this thread....... is .....

listen to dabull............

if he says wait....... and gives you the timing..........you only have yourself to blame if you miss the boat......

Peace
    yes ill agree with that if you wanna invest in stocks

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    For anyone starting out and wanting to invest, most financial advisors suggest thinking about the following before you do:

1) Have you analyzed your spending habits and created a spending plan so that you can maximize the money you have left over after expenses? Quicken or MS Money are great ways to track your spending?

2) Do you have an emergency fund built up of 6-8 months of living expenses in case of job loss or other emergency situation that may come up? Basically to keep you from having to go in debt to make it through. Meaning it will keep you from paying other people to use their money.

3) Have you paid off outstanding credit card balances and if you continue to use credit cards is it for convienence only and you pay them off every month?

4) Are you fully maximizing your employer's benefit plans especially 401k or similar retirement plan with major tax and matching benefits? Disability insurance, tuition reimbusement, medical spending accounts, are also things to make sure you are making use of.

5) If you are doing all of that, can you based on the income rules invest in a roth IRA? I believe for single people the adjusted gross income limit is 95,000 before you start to have restricitions on the amount you can contribute.

6) If you answered yes to all of that then go for it and invest however you best see fit based on sound research and planning. If not you might want to get some of those things in order so you have a solid financial foundation before you invest in other places.

I think right now the average american household debt is $18,000 not including mortgages. I personally am tired of paying interest for anything and want to do things like buy my next vehicle in cash. Of course I need to pay down the one I have now at a very accelerated rate and hold on to it for a long time. I love seeing people pay me for the use of my money rather than the other way around.

Peace!

Bump for scott..............

anyone want me to tell you how to pay off a 30 year mortgage in 17 years????

Just ask...........

Quote Originally Posted by scottp999
    For anyone starting out and wanting to invest, most financial advisors suggest thinking about the following before you do:

1) Have you analyzed your spending habits and created a spending plan so that you can maximize the money you have left over after expenses? Quicken or MS Money are great ways to track your spending?

2) Do you have an emergency fund built up of 6-8 months of living expenses in case of job loss or other emergency situation that may come up? Basically to keep you from having to go in debt to make it through. Meaning it will keep you from paying other people to use their money.

3) Have you paid off outstanding credit card balances and if you continue to use credit cards is it for convienence only and you pay them off every month?

4) Are you fully maximizing your employer's benefit plans especially 401k or similar retirement plan with major tax and matching benefits? Disability insurance, tuition reimbusement, medical spending accounts, are also things to make sure you are making use of.

5) If you are doing all of that, can you based on the income rules invest in a roth IRA? I believe for single people the adjusted gross income limit is 95,000 before you start to have restricitions on the amount you can contribute.

6) If you answered yes to all of that then go for it and invest however you best see fit based on sound research and planning. If not you might want to get some of those things in order so you have a solid financial foundation before you invest in other places.

I think right now the average american household debt is $18,000 not including mortgages. I personally am tired of paying interest for anything and want to do things like buy my next vehicle in cash. Of course I need to pay down the one I have now at a very accelerated rate and hold on to it for a long time. I love seeing people pay me for the use of my money rather than the other way around.

Peace!

Rules

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot
    I was wondering... since this site is filled but finacially savy people.. i have about 10-15k to invest for about a 12-18 month period. I don't want to take the chance of buying stock which has the slightest oppourtunity to go down since im playing with my college money... im looking for any sort of growth in that time span..
    ----------

If you ask an honest-to-goodness financial advisor, he will tell you that you should put short term $$$ into CD's or similar investments, especially for money you will definately need 1-2 years in the future.

But, if you want to gamble, first off, you don't ever want to invest in anything you don't understand. Look into companies involved with whatever your majoring in . . . if it's English, then investigate what's going on in publishing companies, read the trade journals, find out who's fixing to publish some hot property, see who's going bankrupt. If it's electronics, check the trade journals, find out who's got hot new stuff that's likely to make a major impact, see who's going under. If it's business, you could check things like the trucking industry stocks (which usually pick up early in an economic upswing) and figure out who's gaining market share and who's got lots of idle drivers.
    Etc etc etc . . .
    If you're not really familiar with any particular industry, you really should either pick one and become intimately familiar with it, then place your stock market bets according to your knowledge of the industry.

If you don't want to mess with all that or spend time learning about the stock market, the the Vanguard 500 mutual fund is for you. Over time, it's outperformed most other funds, even the ones with fancy ads touting "50% increase over 3 years!" (those funds don't include their lousy years in that type of ad) . . . Plus, it's got about the lowest operational cost (around .2%), and its managers had the integrity not to get involved with the stuff that the mutual fund industry is currently embroiled in.

But if you don't mind gambling with your college money, then most any of the stocks mentioned will do. Although, I'm not sure XMSR isn't priced a bit ahead of itself, and SIRI I think is going to eventually fold unless it finds a niche for itself.

If I were you, I'd put the $$$ in CD's, pick an industry and study it, then when you get a job, you'll be ready to invest in something you know something about.

Good luck,
    --Tock

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    bro not that i support it...but if you REALLY wanna double or triple your money call up pablow escobar and get a kilo of cocaine it aint the most legal thing , but **** you'll flip 15 grand into 75 grand i garuantee you that.

Quote Originally Posted by LilVito469
    bro not that i support it...but if you REALLY wanna double or triple your money call up pablow escobar and get a kilo of cocaine it aint the most legal thing , but **** you'll flip 15 grand into 75 grand i garuantee you that.
    um not sure you know, but pablo has been dead for years

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jcstomper
    um not sure you know, but pablo has been dead for years
    yes i know it was just for him to get the point across...ok how about Whitey Bulger all the bostonians know about him he's the true life scarface from MASS. Even though he is on the run from the fbi and is the second most weanted man on there list but he was the biggest cocaine dealor from here if not its boston george...

Sounds good to me if it involves making money...But i'm dumb..so i got some questions. Ok, these are tax free...that's good. How much do these cost?

How quickly do they grow?

Where can I purchase one?

What is the difference between an IRA and actual stock? (if there is a dif)

Ok...Never mind. IRA is a retirement fund. That's an awesome idea for me to get on in. Thanks for the idea DB

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Hoss, if you started an IRA at your age with just three thousand per year you would retire a millionare and probably not miss the money. Consider this, $3000.00 per year. Save $57.69 per week every year from now until you are 58 years old (assuming you can do it this year at 16 years old). At 58 years old you would have a million dollars in your account if you earned 8% interest. The key thing would be to start asap and start with the 57.69 per week if you could. Then as you make more money as you get older increase it and participate in a 401k in addition.

Hey Scott.........good one.

I can't remember the math... but it goes like this..

a man at age 18 saving $100 per month will have $1,000,000 ++ by the time he retires...

a man at age 30 has to save $1000 per month and will only have $600,000...

that gives a good picture...

Numbers are rounded.. but i estimated on the safe side.. not apple pie in the sky returns..

Quote Originally Posted by scottp999
    Hoss, if you started an IRA at your age with just three thousand per year you would retire a millionare and probably not miss the money. Consider this, $3000.00 per year. Save $57.69 per week every year from now until you are 58 years old (assuming you can do it this year at 16 years old). At 58 years old you would have a million dollars in your account if you earned 8% interest. The key thing would be to start asap and start with the 57.69 per week if you could. Then as you make more money as you get older increase it and participate in a 401k in addition.

Rules

anyone want me to tell you how to pay off a 30 year mortgage in 17 years????

Just ask...........
    By-weekly payments

Nope that only reduces it to about 21 years........

good try though.......

By-weekly payments

Rules

Nope that only reduces it to about 21 years........

good try though.......
    well, please, enlighten me then

because of the rule of 76 which states that the interest is paid in advance of the principle, and the effective interest is caluculated on the current balance of the mortgage...

if you pay $100 per week extra... that is you pay 4 checks each month.. yea pain in the but...

If your mortgage is $1000 on the (this does not include tax and insurance)
    1st send a check for $350
    10th send $250
    20th send $250
    29th send $250

Example would be

is it better to make 13 payments a year... answer.. pays off the mortgage in like 23 years

make double payments.. pays off the mortgage in like 11 years..

* disclaimer... some of the numbers are not exact... i was in this industry some 12 years ago... but it is great wealth building...

when interest rates are in the 10% range, and you purchase a home for $125,000 after 30 years you would have paid Like $350,000 ....

following this plan would lower the effective intersest to like 3%

factor in the appreciation of the property...

++++++++++++

Bonus...

well, please, enlighten me then

Rules

because of the rule of 76 which states that the interest is paid in advance of the principle, and the effective interest is caluculated on the current balance of the mortgage...

if you pay $100 per week extra... that is you pay 4 checks each month.. yea pain in the but...

If your mortgage is $1000 on the (this does not include tax and insurance)
    1st send a check for $350
    10th send $250
    20th send $250
    29th send $250

Example would be

is it better to make 13 payments a year... answer.. pays off the mortgage in like 23 years

make double payments.. pays off the mortgage in like 11 years..

* disclaimer... some of the numbers are not exact... i was in this industry some 12 years ago... but it is great wealth building...

when interest rates are in the 10% range, and you purchase a home for $125,000 after 30 years you would have paid Like $350,000 ....

following this plan would lower the effective intersest to like 3%

factor in the appreciation of the property...

++++++++++++

Bonus...

spy, you are a smart man.........

thanks..........but there are alot of people here that will disagree with you..

(liberal communist bastards)

I spend time enjoying alot of different things...

but i help when i can... and bull**** the rest of the time..

it's a good distraction..........

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by jbol
    spy, you are a smart man.........

Rules

but i help when i can... and bull**** the rest of the time..

it's a good distraction..........

Peace

i personaly, love it when spy bullsh*ts. very entertaining read our "Just keeping our post count up" thread...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information