Vice is offline Associate Member

Question Proscar and other hair products

Out of curiousity, is it recommended for natural guys that aren't bald but do have signs of MPB, to use such products to slow down balding?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Vice; 02-17-2004 at 11:31 AM.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Sure. If I was balding, you bet your bottom buck I'd be looking for preventive measures.

Men use them all the time

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    If you are seeing thinning - propecia/proscar will at least slow down the progression if not stop it all together. There are very small chances for side effects and they are reversible almost immediately. It is the general consensus that if you start on a regimine as soon as you notice then you can keep more of your hair.

I have had no problems using proscar/propecia from august 1998 through dec 2002, and I switched to the use of avodart from that point forward, again with no side effects. Start with propecia or proscar and give it time to work. If it does then you can stay on it. Hopefully there will be a more permanent solution in the near future.

Right now transplants are really good cosmetically but they leave some scars if you like to have your hair cut short on the sides. They are developing a hair cloning procedure where they take a single hair from you that is not prone to MPB and then use it to clone as many hairs as you would need in a transplant. When that becomes available it means no more cutting out a peice of the scalp for transplants that last a lifetime.

Thanks for the reply guys, I'm almost 22 and I'm not considered bald, just I noticed coming out of the shower, that the top of my head is a bit thinner, and my hairline is slightly back a touch from last year. I love my hair and will do anything to stop the progression of this nasty heriditary trait.

Scott: As for dosages and starting out on these products, what would you recommend?
    I'll do some researching on the subject later on tonight if I get some spare time.

In addition, how does using Hair-gel/glue products effect MPB? I like to wear some gel to spike the hair when going out or whatever.....I'm sure I'll be fine doing it for a couple more years, but if it's a thing that will speed up the process, I should find an alternative solution, maybe alcohol free gel or whatever, stuff sucks, but better then being bald

Also, just got in an argument with my girlfriend about using these "anti-balding agents" such as proscar etc, she said the stuff doesn't work, and if your going to go bald your going bald, "I learned this in biochem, it's proven these products do not work, You show me medical documentation that these products really work and i'll believe you, otherwise go listen to your 'buddies' on the message board that probably have no background" she says, grrr she pisses me off.
    Last edited by Vice; 02-17-2004 at 12:12 PM.

Thread Information