Testify is offline Senior Member

Crossing the Northern Border?

Hey bros. I just saw the thread on smuggling gear and it sounded fun. j/k

I am however, about to begin a new cycle, and have a dilemma. I am going on a ski trip to northern Vermont with a friend at the end of Feb (Mardi Gras!!) and will have just begun my cycle. I literally cannot push it back because I am sandwiched on the other end of it by a wedding in june. I have to be finished and have a new suit altered before then. Its a tight timeline.

So, where is the problem? Well, the hotel we booked is just across the border in Canada. At least twice I will need to transport a small amount of gear across the border - I think I can leave it in the hotel while we are skiing. I have never crossed the Canadian border before, so I am not sure what to expect. Any ideas? If someone wants to PM me about this, rather than discuss it openly, please do. Will this be a big problem? Can I pull it off?

Bro, don't worry too much about crossing into canada with gear, worry a LOT more about crossing back into the US with anything illegal. Just bring what you need (obviously not in plain view!!!) and not a drop more and leave it at the hotel.

Oh and don't forget your passport, you may need it to get back in the US... (One of my buddies from NH was detained 5 hours at the border by US customs while driving home because his only ID was his NH drivers license and they wanted proof of citizenship... duh!)

Canadian customs officers are about as threatning as big Boy Scouts, but lately their US counterpart are about as unfriendly as they can get...

And a hotel right across the border from Vermont???? No big towns there bro, the Vermont Quebec border area is all cowtown. Hope you're not expecting the Ritz!

Red

Oh and if crossing the border with gear makes you nervous, put all your stuff in a tupperware and stash it somewhere on the US side between the border and the ski hill, or heck in a locker at the ski hill if they allow leaving stuff overnight.

Which mountain are you hitting? Jay or Sugarbush? I haven't skied in VT in over 10 years was fun back then, must be great now.

Red

Testify is offline Senior Member
    Nope. Not expecting the Ritz. These trips can get a little expensive after just lift tickets and food. On top of that, I am having to rent a car for the trip too. So, I found the cheapest place I could. It actually sounds like it might be nice. I'm sure its just an old farm house, but hey its just a place to sleep.

Thanks for the heads-up Red. I guess I will only have to take it one way. And since its legal to carry it in Canada, I should be fine when I get through.

Thread Information