Thread: marines....

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin

marines....

I am considering joining the corps... any marines or ex marines on the board, please get in touch with me over instant messenger "monstercojones" or PM me.... i'd like to talk to a few experienced bros to get a feeling for what its like.

thanks.

-MC

zx7racing is offline Senior Member
    go air force- if you feel you must join the military. the quality of life is much greater when you wear blue.. i know i'm going to get a lot of flack from this comment, but i know it's the truth..

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Much respect to any young person that wants to serve their country. I never did and now I think I should have. I was 18 back around 89, with the cold war over and it was really peacful, by the time desert storm came around I was 20 and making pretty good $ and had a bunch of friends in the armed forces that made it seem miserable over in the desert so I stayed away. Good luck to you, I think deciding what job you want to do is the most important thing when signing up. Have you done any college? if so you might want to talk about going in as an officer if you think you want to make it a long term career.

They just had on the news that they are sending in 50 marines to defend the embassy in haiti. Getting pretty bad down there!

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    zx is right, Air Force is well known amongst the arm forces to have the highest standard of living (not knocking on the others), however it does depend on your job. what were u interested in, and have you taken the ASVAP yet? I would def. follow up on some research in the other branches before enlisting.

theres a ton of things to consider when thinking of joining any branch of service..
    you have to think of the job you would like to have (then make sure you qualify with asvab scores- also if you are wanting to do anything like special forces- the physical aspect) where you want to be stationed (your job has a lot to do with that- many jobs arent offered at all bases) if you want to go ver seas etc..
    think about enlistment bonuses ( many jobs offer sign on bonuses etc dependent on what job you are trying for i.e. air traffic controllers in the AF are getting a 75,000 sign on bonus upon completion of tech school.
    if you are thinking about the education benifits GET THE **** G.I. BILL- it will all but pay for your school after you get out (dont even think about going to school while you are in- i thought i would be able to but- between deployments to bfe and so on, you'll hardly see the inside of a college class room- this also depends on your job...
    i'm just rambling on- but this is a huge decsion- it will in no small way effect the rest of your life.. think long hand hard about what you want and if the military will be able to give you the opportunities for you to achieve your goals..
    if you want any other info or opinions let me know- as well as many others on here have mil. experience that will give their thoughts...
    good luck

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I'll give my .02 cents and my experiences in the Marines when I get done with this medical conference and can sit and think for more than a few minutes at a time..Too many cute female Doctor's running around here..Just kidding, they are all freakin' ugly..****!!! There's always the nurses!!! Anyway, I'll PM you later tonight..Good luck in whatever you do..

Doc M

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    good luck with your decision bro! Personally, I think that serving in any branch of the military is respectful. Like the guys said above, do your research and determine which branch will be able to supply you the experiences, etc that will match your goals in life. Again, good luck with it!

peace,

ttgb

MedicalStudent is offline Junior Member
    Make sure that when you join any organization that you agree with the actions committed by such an organization, since you will indeed become part and parcel of it. Hence, what the organization does reflects on you.

mike4820 is offline New Member
    Ya Bro, I was in the corps. Only way to go.
    Glad to see you have interest in the military no matter what the branch.
    I'll pm you.

thanks alot for the replies.... i am seriously considering this, so anyone willing to shoot me a PM would be a great help.

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member
    Bro,

As the others stated, I respect you for wanting to serve your country. I am a former marine. My advice. The Corps is the most elite, and most difficult, of any of the services. Be sure you know what your getting yourself into. For me, the corps basic, or officer candidate training at Quantico, VA was the toughest thing I ever did in my life. At times I wanted to die. I often asked myself, what the hell did I get myself into, and when will this nightmare end, etc. But when I was done, it was, and probably still is, the proudest moment of my life to be sworn in and the title of marine given to you. The marines have no pity, no sympathy, and they train you to be stone cold killers. If this hard type of environment doesn't suit you look elswhere. There's no shame in it. The marines are definately not for everyone. No matter how baddass you may be in the gym or the dojo, the marines will push you farther and harder than you can ever imagine. Remember Riddick Bowe. He was the heavyweight champ of the world and couldn't cut it. I think he lasted two or three days. I know you've seen it already, but watch "Full Metal Jacket" and try to really imagine what those guys were feeling. Good luck to you brother, I respect you for what your thinking of doing. Semper Fi.
    Last edited by FRANK WHITE; 02-23-2004 at 07:16 PM.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Not to hijack the thread...but I was considering it as well when I graduate. I got mail today, got a SHIATLOAD of info I sent off for...If you guys have time PM me as well or send me an instant message sometime, thanks alot.

--Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by FRANK WHITE
    Bro,

As the others stated, I respect you for wanting to serve your country. I am a former marine. My advice. The Corps is the most elite, and most difficult, of any of the services. Be sure you know what your getting yourself into. For me, the corps basic, or officer candidate training at Quantico, VA was the toughest thing I ever did in my life. At times I wanted to die. I often asked myself, what the hell did I get myself into, and when will this nightmare end, etc. But when I was done, it was, and probably still is, the proudest moment of my life to be sworn in and the title of marine given to you. The marines have no pity, no sympathy, and they train you to be stone cold killers. If this hard type of environment doesn't suit you look elswhere. There's no shame in it. The marines are definately not for everyone. No matter how baddass you may be in the gym or the dojo, the marines will push you farther and harder than you can ever imagine. Remember Riddick Bowe. He was the heavyweight champ of the world and couldn't cut it. I think he lasted two or three days. I know you've seen it already, but watch "Full Metal Jacket" and try to really imagine what those guys were feeling. Good luck to you brother, I respect you for what your thinking of doing. Semper Fi.

i understand the severity of what i am considering getting myself into. i have challenged myself my entire life. i am an eagle scout. i have climbed into the worst weather on the planet... i get A's and B's at a hard university with absolutely no effort, i have even hiked 50 miles in 20 hours on sheer willpower... and now i feel the need to challenge myself.

my family is horrible. i am sick of being financially dependant on them, and i feel that this kind of strict training is the type of challenge that will benefit me greatly.

frank... thanks for the reply. i plan on thinking hard on this.

to be honest, my biggest fear is that i hate running

hoss827 is offline Banned
    I hear you on the running bro....God do I dread it!

Symian is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monstercojones
    I am considering joining the corps... any marines or ex marines on the board, please get in touch with me over instant messenger "monstercojones" or PM me.... i'd like to talk to a few experienced bros to get a feeling for what its like.

thanks.

-MC
    Congrats, bro on your future decision. I personally think that it should be mandatory for all males to serve, but that's an entirely other debate. I was in the USAF and am reenlisting in the Army here soon, but as far as the Marines go they are the baddest as a whole, IMO. I have a best friend that's been in for over 7 and is about to ETS. He's been around the world and is actually now a marial arts instructor for the Corps. One of only 7 somethin-degree black belt. But he loves it, and as with all branches, it becomes a way of life for the rest of your life.

Before going in you have to consider what you want to do and how long you want to stay in. When I went in my first job was Aircraft Structural Maintenance. Good money on the outside. But in basic they came in and wowed me, I was 17, with blowing sh*t up and doing special stuff. RIGHT ON THATS THE ROUTE FOR ME! But here I am now on the outside with nothing. So now I'm going back to do what I love.

The Corps' spec ops is a different animal all itself. They aren't aligned with SOC so they don't get funding for thier programs, but thier programs are no less important. Force Recon, Scout/Snipers, SRTs, and MEUs are all badass mofos!

There is nothing in the civilian world that will give you the sense of pride, accomplishment, the ability to push your body to it's limits, and comradery with your fellow men as with the military. And if and when you get out you will realize how immature and clueless the rest of your civilian generation is.

As far as the Air Force goes, if you basically want an 8-5 job and no PT go for it. Yes the quality of life for the marines is the lowest in the government, but it also comes down to sense of pride. I hate telling people I was in the USAF, because of the stigma they have. Hell, I busted ass and lived with Army so I basically was.

Have any questions, PM me, bro. Sorry for rambling.

Sym
    Last edited by Symian; 02-24-2004 at 06:29 AM.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zx7racing
    go air force- if you feel you must join the military. the quality of life is much greater when you wear blue.. i know i'm going to get a lot of flack from this comment, but i know it's the truth..

Truer words were never spoken.
    Much better food, once ya get to private party, you get your own room in the barracks with a refrigerator. Army and Marine life ain't quite so posh.
    Of course, getting rank is more difficult in the USAF. At first, it's pretty much based on time in grade, then ya gotta take tests to pass & etc. But then, it's almost impossible to lose rank once ya have it. Contrast that with the Army and Marines; you can gain and lose rank the same day . . .

A lot depends if you like camping in the dirt or not . . . I don't, so I went USAF. Some folks love it, so for them, Army and Marines might suit them better.
    Navy . . . now there's a place for guys that like to bunk with lots of other guys in close quarters. I woulda considered that if I could swim.

If you end up as an MP, try to get into the K9 corps. You won't regret it.
    --Tock

Symian is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    Truer words were never spoken.
    Much better food, once ya get to private party, you get your own room in the barracks with a refrigerator. Army and Marine life ain't quite so posh.
    Of course, getting rank is more difficult in the USAF. At first, it's pretty much based on time in grade, then ya gotta take tests to pass & etc. But then, it's almost impossible to lose rank once ya have it. Contrast that with the Army and Marines; you can gain and lose rank the same day . . .
    --Tock
    Just to touch up on what Tock said so there are no misconceptions. You most likely WONT get your own room until you hit E-5. Although some places are more privilaged than others. It is harder to get rank in the USAF and it is near impossible to lose it once gained. But in the Army you can gain it a lot faster from waivers and field grades as long as you are squared away. I've know guys to have E-6 in 3 years! Of course these are combat arms fields and not POGs.

Sym

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Symian
    Just to touch up on what Tock said so there are no misconceptions. You most likely WONT get your own room until you hit E-5. Although some places are more privilaged than others. It is harder to get rank in the USAF and it is near impossible to lose it once gained. But in the Army you can gain it a lot faster from waivers and field grades as long as you are squared away. I've know guys to have E-6 in 3 years! Of course these are combat arms fields and not POGs.

Sym

Huh . . . I got my own room as an E-3. But that was 25 years ago . . . and they liked me a lot, too, so that may have counted for something . . .

Regardless, the military is a great place to learn something you can do for a living as a civilian. Medicine would be a great thing to get into nowadays. It used to be anything dealing with electronics was good, but it ain't any more; they're outsourcing that sort of technical work overseas where they can hire PHd engineers for $12,000 a year. You get certified as a nurse, and when you're out, you can do $50k a year, easy. I know a couple of ladies making that much working only friday and saturday nights, 12 hour shifts in a hospital emergency room. Way to go.
    Whatever you do, unless you plan to make the military a lifetime thing, don't get stuck in tanks or infantry. There's not much call for tankers in civilian life, and despite what they may tell you, there are no infants in the infantry, so no, you won't be able to work in a hospital maternity ward.

Good luck,
    --Tock

Symian is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monstercojones
    i get A's and B's at a hard university with absolutely no effort
    How far into school are you? It would be absolutely worth it if you had the chance to go in as an officer . Even if you had to continue your education for a little longer. I don't know about the Corps, but I know the Army takes men with 3yrs of college into OCS, and then you finish it out while in.

Sym

mike4820 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANK WHITE
    Bro,

Well put Frank. Couldn't have said it better myself. Your right about the movie full metal jacket; " pretty close to what it would be like". I remember I went to the recruiting depot to sign up with the Navy. No offense to the Navy, but these particular guys were nasty. Eating jelly donuts and barely fitting into their uniforms. Then from the next door over a marine recruiter said to me "do you want to be like that or like us". Let me tell you this Marine looked squared away. I changed my mind right there on the spot. Boy were those Navy recruiters pissed!
    Monster it mentally wont be easy or even close, but when you get done you will have a feeling a pride you will never forget or lose.

Remember, once a marine always a marine. I've been out for a few years now and I'm still a Marine.

the AF does give each airmen their own quaters when assigned (other than some deployments- then it all depends on logistical resources. i.e. tents, or what not)
    the air force has a policy where each airmen has to have a certain number of square feet to their living quaters and can only share a bathroom with one other person- this is a goal set forth from MAJCOM and has far surpassed other branches of service (of course this is all subjec to permanent party bases)..
    what everyone has said about rank is true- although it is only competative in your afsc ( the job you hold) meaning you arent testing agianst the entire AF for rank- just against your peirs in your repective job.. and promotion rates have doubled in the past couple yrs. my job had a53% promotion rate to e-5 (the first waps test you have for promotion- e-1 through e-4 are given to you with time in grade time in service)
    it all falls back on your goals- if you want to get an education- go reserve of guard. you can get the education benifits and go to school.. if you want a full time jobs with limited perks go active duty. agian just my .02

Thread Information