saboudian is offline Senior Member

College Solar Car Teams

Hey, I checked out a meeting for the solar car last sem, didn't really have enough time to get involved because classes took up too much time, but went to a meeting tonight. The guys on the team seem pretty cool(well at least for engineers ) and they seem fairly open.

As it stands now, the team basically was dissolved a few years ago and a year ago or so one of the guys started it back up. They're right now in the process of building their first car. They have most of the parts and design figured out for the car. It looks like they got all the pieces but haven't exactly put the puzzle together yet. They have the batteries, solar cells, semi-complete frame, alot of the other electrical stuff(tail lights, horn, gauges, etc) is coming along. It looks like alot of the things that need to be done for this car will probably be welding and machining parts. And their goal is to get this car going by i think may 15th or so for a race. So thats a lil history on what their doing.

Ok, my questions were really just to ask if there were any other ppl here who were in involved in solar car teams or really any other engineering teams like even baja, formula, etc. and what they're thoughts and feelings were. What kinda stuff they did and what would be interesting things to work on as I'm not sure what I might do, just want to get involved, learn some fun stuff, have fun, etc. but the door is pretty open on what i could work on. Anything from welding, machining parts, working on the suspension to working on a design for the next car we build. Of course my major is chemical engineering, so this stuff isn't right up my alley, which is part of the reason i started this thread. Many of the guys on the team aren't EE's or ME's though so its obviously not a huge hurdle.

Well that took quite a bit for something so simple, anyways lemme hear from all 'yall engineers.

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    I never had the oppurtunity to work with the solar cell team.. I went to Oakland, and miserably dropped after my freshman year.. My good friend went to Kettering (GMI) in Flint, and he used to brag to me about what he was able to 'toy' with there, I'm not impressed. (he is a good bullsh!t artist). Good luck trying to become the driver of that car - i'm sure some kid with peashooters, under 140lbs will have a better chance at racing it, then you.. It's sad I know..

I am an ME.. I'm a decent mig/tig/stick welder, and machinest.. I feel most comfortable fabricating and assembling.. I'll be honest, building models comes to mind when you are working on projects like that, there are similar principals involved.. It was hard for me to relate to alot of guys while working in groups, many were brillant, but lacked considerably in common sense and application.. Haha, very frustrating..

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    I go to Oakland currently...I was an engineering major but I just changed over to business. Engineering @ OU seemed really lame but its hard as f*ck. Math is ridiculious there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammar
    I go to Oakland currently...I was an engineering major but I just changed over to business. Engineering @ OU seemed really lame but its hard as f*ck. Math is ridiculious there.
    Haha, my calc. I and II teacher spoke broken english.. Plus i jumped into beer lake one too many times in the winter.. It made me giggle back in the day, but if this 240lbs juicehead was around back then, he would of beat the fuk out of the punk i was..

I learned my lesson..

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    LOL, I didn't realize anyone from Oakland was here. Ya I've heard about their MTH dept. I knew an EE that took there math a few years back, and on the first day of her calc class her teacher told the class " I teach you math, you teach me english". From what I've heard it's like they think they're doing a favor by failing you. But I gotta tell ya, the math dept here is not much to brag about, as most speak broken english also.

Ya, I thought driving the car would be cool as ****, especially the chicago to CA race, I think there'd be like 2 hour shifts and it would take 5-6 different drivers or something like that. I think there's another one from texas to vancouver also, and i think the team even got an invite to do one just before the olympics in greece. I thought it would be cool as fuk to drive it, but u got a point, there's a good chance I wouldn't fit, LOL especially if i'm bulking, you have to like lay down and its weird and stuff. Of course it'd be scary driving that thing next to normal cars. Ya, but you're definitely right about the scrawny kids driving it, I think I was the only kid in the meeting that ever had been to a gym. Of course that would be cool as hell to put on your resume, or even just bring up at a cocktail party.

monster- I don't feel most egr's here lack common sense, but i definitely feel they lack (big time) knowledge of application, and working together on projects in groups like this, just like you said. Thats part of the reason I want to get involved also, because I lack those skills.

Kettering- I love how they buy a new car after their first year. Good school though, I went on a tour their, but I couldn't go there cause I was still unsure of my major at the time and I didn't have a good coop set up, and i sure as hell didn't want to go in random. The place totally lacks college life which is one reason why I'm glad I didn't go there, you know what they say, "Kettering has a ton of girls, only a few, but a ton"

Thanks for the replies guys, hey if anyone has really been on any college design/project let me hear your thoughts about it and your experience with it.

Haha, I agree, I think we're on the same page!! I only referenced to 'some' brilliant engineers tend to lack common sense.. You are right about the application process though.. After working in the field, you'll notice it.. I wasn't surprised, but after LONG hours checking, then doublechecking, and rechecking work done for projects you'll see what i mean, common sense goes a long way.. It's a good program, anything like that looks good on a resume.. One of my mentors, he happens to be my first boss was BRILLANT, he was excellent to work for cause he wasn't only highly intelgent, but is exceptional at applying his mind.. It takes years to mature like that..

Good luck you'll enjoy that project

Thread Information