lucky is offline New Member

For Back Yard Car Machanics

I have 1996 Kia and when it is warmed up it always try to stall at stop lights, unless I keep my foot slightly and on the gas (the other foot on the brakes). It also runs good if I put it in park when I stop. Took it to the dealer and $700 later it still runs the same. They replace the rotor and plugs, plug wires, timing belt(was almost 60,000 miles), and gas filter. I really don't trust the dealer and would like to know if anyone else ever had this kind of car trouble and can give me some kind of answer?

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    It sounds like a sensor that went bad, I'm not 100% sure without taking a look at it.. It could be a number of things.. faulty sensor, fuel pump, injectors, air filter, fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, the list goes on.. Take it to a reputable shop, and have them run the trouble codes for it.. 700 dollars for a tuneup and a timing belt sounds ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dealerships have the highest labor rate per hour, compared to other service shops (if you can take it too a nice local shop, they'll treat you better and take care of you no prob).. If you go to the dealership, ask about any recalls, and/or similar problems that happened to other people..

It's hard to diagnose over the computer, but it sounds like one of the sensors, fuel pump relay, or fuel pump is heating up - and failing..

Good luck

Swellin Guest
    I had the same problem with a vette. My problem was the idle air control valve.
    Along with the things that Monster mentioned, you might check that...I don't even know how that is handled on the KIA, you may not even have one.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Take out and clean the IAC valve. It will run like new after.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellin
    I had the same problem with a vette. My problem was the idle air control valve.
    Along with the things that Monster mentioned, you might check that...I don't even know how that is handled on the KIA, you may not even have one.

Beat me to it

True, its difficult to say.. LOL.. Since he said it only happens after its warmed up, thats what led me to believe it is the fuel pump overheating, and cutting in and out..

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Nah, if the fule pump fuks up, it will fuk up for good. It might run for 2 minutes if you bang it, but that's about it. The IAC fuks up in Kia's all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    Nah, if the fule pump fuks up, it will fuk up for good. It might run for 2 minutes if you bang it, but that's about it. The IAC fuks up in Kia's all the time.
    I'll take your word for it, haha

Swellin Guest
    Beat me to it
    Yep, even with my 8 month old deleting everything I typed.

The IAC valve seems to show its ugliest face when stopping at a red light. Left foot brake...right foot gas...press both until everything seems to be working...then let go of the brake and hope tha danm thing doesn't stall.

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    could be the distributor...........

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    If all of the above fails get the stall converter checked on the gearbox since it sounds like its an auto.........Hitman

Quote Originally Posted by lucky
    I have 1996 Kia and when it is warmed up it always try to stall at stop lights, unless I keep my foot slightly and on the gas (the other foot on the brakes). It also runs good if I put it in park when I stop.

My first guesses are also the IAC (Idle Air Controller) and the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), but seeing as it only tries to stall while in Drive and not in park, it could also be the Transmissions Torque Converter thats not releasing the motor when you're stopped. That causes the motor to stall.

Red

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Fuel/air sensor

Vaj10 is offline Associate Member
    your TPS is beat (throttle position sensor) most likely.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    My first guesses are also the IAC (Idle Air Controller) and the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), but seeing as it only tries to stall while in Drive and not in park, it could also be the Transmissions Torque Converter thats not releasing the motor when you're stopped. That causes the motor to stall.

Red

It's not the converter. Think about it, what does the IAC do? It's a controlled vacuum leak to help the engine breath. By stepping on the brake, the brake booster is causing a BIG drop in vacuum presser. If the IAC's valve is stuck, it won't be able to compensate for the massive drop in presser.
    Last edited by LORDBLiTZ; 02-28-2004 at 03:50 PM.

It's not the converter. Think about it, what does the IAC do? It's a controlled vacuum leak to help the engine breath. By stepping on the brake, the brake booster is causing a BIG drop in vacuum presser. If the IAC's valve is stuck, it won't be able to compensate for the massive drop in presser.
    Actually I've had the torque converter problem in one of my vans at work (1989 dodge caravan) back when I worked in fleet management. The tranny would not release the motor when you stopped at a red light or a stop sign... so it stalled. You could actually feel the van trying to pull you at a red light so you had to put it in Park... it got to a point where it was Park or stall.

Of course we knew that caravans have major transmission problems... as for Kias I don't really know...

Red

lucky is offline New Member
    Could anyone tell me where this IAC is located in the KIA. Also someone mentioned the distributor cap. I had a tune up done prior to taking it tho the dealer and that same day the trouble started, The dealer replaced everthing except that. Could that cause stalling if it is deffective?

Thread Information