Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    redrock is offline Member
    I really want to get an Oscar. They say you need at least a 55 gallon tank though. So I need to start checking ads. Is it true you can feed an Oscar a live feeder mouse? That would be so cool. RR

IronCy is offline Senior Member
    Oscars are fresh water...and yes, a 55g would be a good idea, they can get rather large.
    -Cy

floyd_turbo is offline Member
    awesome hobby very rewarding, i had 4 tanks, 2 75's, 2 125's... kinda a weird thing i found to bring up with my friends, i wouldnt go out on a limb and just throw it out there, but when they saw my tanks they thought it was pretty cool.... its kinda like playing god and i always found the fact that you control the entire environment cool

ft-

oh ya... what are your guys fave marine fish? in order: clownfish,lionfish, puffers, buterflies (some cool colors)

ft-

I like clownfish....but I am interested in a niger trigger for my soon to have tank...
    -Cy

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Can I put my new pet catfish in one of your tanks?? Just for a little while....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any Aquarium hobbiest here-staterecordcatfish.jpg  

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tryingtogetbig
    Can I put my new pet catfish in one of your tanks?? Just for a little while....
    Thats you on the left isnt......you were george costanzas stunt double werent you?

****nnnn that fish is huge, how would you even reel that in....
    -Cy

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a salt water aquarium and it has been infested. I was wondering if you guys had a way of getting rid of rock anenimies my tank is starting to be taken over by these **** things. Urrhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Shredz
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a salt water aquarium and it has been infested. I was wondering if you guys had a way of getting rid of rock anenimies my tank is starting to be taken over by these **** things. Urrhhhh
    just dump a chlorine tablet in their...that'll do it...

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    just dump a chlorine tablet in their...that'll do it...
    Okay I have dropped a entire puck of chlorine in there left over from my swimming pool supply. The fish are acting up a bit but I think they are gonna make it.

You have to be kidding me MJ.

hermit crabs, peppermint shrimp, copperband butterflyfish. also chemical means, but be prepared to make large water changes to save your fish from poisoning. keeping your system clean and low in metabolites (nitrates, phosphates) also will cut down on their growth and reproduction... but basically biological predators and/or if you have a bunch of them to deal with, get a pointed tip siphon to siphon the bulk of them out

ft-

Quote Originally Posted by floyd_turbo
    hermit crabs, peppermint shrimp, copperband butterflyfish. also chemical means, but be prepared to make large water changes to save your fish from poisoning. keeping your system clean and low in metabolites (nitrates, phosphates) also will cut down on their growth and reproduction... but basically biological predators and/or if you have a bunch of them to deal with, get a pointed tip siphon to siphon the bulk of them out

ft-

I currently have 2 clowns, 1 yellow tailed damsel and 1 red legged hermit crab. Now my tank has been established for almost 3 years. Do you think introducing another fish would cause the others to attack it.

Also I heard that peppermint shimp will not eat them but blood shimp may. Is there any truth to that? Another thing I have also heard is that injecting calcium directing into them will work. Any truth to that??? If so I will have to try to dig up a syring. God knows where I am gonna get one of those...

Point tip siphon? Are you talking about the tub to suction the crap out of the tank. Because I was told not to disturb the rock anenimies because it will cause them to spread.

One last thing. I have noticed that my tank has an odor now. Not to strong but there is an odor present. Do you think that this is because of the rock anemies?

Quote Originally Posted by Shredz
    Okay I have dropped a entire puck of chlorine in there left over from my swimming pool supply. The fish are acting up a bit but I think they are gonna make it.

You have to be kidding me MJ.
    uhhhhh yeah I was........but im not kidding about checking your ass against the glass in vegas punk

The damsel might attack a new fish, those little assholes try to be aggressive...I think you can add fish, but watch the damsel, most the time, those have to go bye bye!
    -Cy

i dont think it'd be a problem to introduce another fish... what size of tank?? filtration? you'd hafta stay away from all the aggresive fish, you could toss in another crab,
    damsel, clown, tang, or blennies/gobies all pretty hardy fish... the last two are algae eaters so they might be useful to toss in the mix.... blennies and gobies are sometimes hard to keep alive tho, they eat but sifting through the substrate... so its difficult to make sure they get some food and not overfeed/pollute the tank.

peppermint shrimp are usually a good bet... but there is some confusion between a real and a fake. closely related to another species

yup strong bases, chemicals like calcium or sodium hydroxide (the first "kalkwasser", the second is the principal ingredient in oven cleaners) can be applied directly to the rock anemones ... in dry or concentrated liquid form... given a choice, go with the Ca(OH)2

yeah you'd hafta becareful with the siphon cause it is true that they will spread
    by breaking it up... remove the rock they’re attached to for scrubbing under the sink with running freshwater.

also i forgot to mention one more predator: a meat/elegance coral are near the best. not easy to do, but if you could keep these mostly reef-system incompatible caryophyllids alive and were willing to risk moving them about to sting your rock anemones (but not other stock), your pest control problems would be over.. kind of a pain in the ass imo

hope this helps

ft-

some damsels such as the blue damsel and yellow tailed damsels, are not as aggressive as others, but yeah, damsels once they establish territory they are pretty agressive, you'd prolly have to lose the damsel

ft-

Ironweb is offline Member
    Just make sure the fish you do get is not smaller than your damsel. They defend their territory more fiercely than any other fish except possibly a trigger.

Favorite fish are Flame hawkfish, Flame angle, Coral beauty, clownfish. However nothing is cooler IMO than a arrowhead crab. Those crabs are the coolest Fking creatures to watch. No fish mess with them either. I love mine.

Added the one yellow tang and one Lader Gobie and things seems to be working out. I peeled off most of the rock anemies under freshwater in the sink and I looks like I took care of most of them. I will wait a bit to see if the others start to spead. My damsil hasn't given either the tang or gobie a problem as of yet but I will keep an eye on that little bastard.

Thanks for all the great info guys. I appriciate it.

Cool bro, keep us posted on their progress....check out those sites I mentioned above, Im sure someone there can answer any of your sw questions.
    -Cy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information