samoth is offline Member

Microsoft Excel help

Okay... it was suggested I use Microsoft Excel for a laboratory in which we need to input 15-some variables into a couple 'master equations'.

I have limited knowledge of this spreadsheet, so is there anything I need to know here? To my knowledge, it works kinda the same as the TI-86 style calculator where you do something like this:

Square1A 88.9
    Square1B 91.6
    Square1C 3.79

then in square 1D input, for example, "=(1A+1B)/1C" and it gives me just that.

Is that all there is to it? Are there any complexities that may arise when doing something like this? Any special commands or anything?

samoth is offline Member
    I know I'm computer illiterate, but c'mon, someone lower themselves to my level so they can explain how this stupid spreadsheet works.

Commando_Barbi is offline AR's Arresting Angel Vet
    You can use the auto sum feature if all you are trying to do is add them. Is that what you are looking for?
    1. Once a cheat always a cheat!
    2. YES, SHE can get pregnant the first time!
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

What the mind can conceive....the body will achieve!

If you want the average of a column of numbers try this

AVG=(A1+B1+C1)

If you can run them Down a column it would be easier to do this

AVG=(A1+A10)
    3. NO, PULLING out IS NOT a RELIABLE method of Birth Control. DAMMMMIT..... Wrap that shyte UP!!

Women over 30 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". Here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire Pig, just to get a little sausage.

samoth is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando_Barbi
    You can use the auto sum feature if all you are trying to do is add them. Is that what you are looking for?
    No no.... much more than add.

Example:

One term is

(400 pi d [1/(g(sigma-rho))][(9 nu/2)^(1/2)])

Do I imput a formula like that, with each variable being inputed from a cell?

I've really never used Excel before, I am only guessing that it is like programming a calculator?

Sorry, I can't really tell you anymore than that. If you go to the help function it will tell you what functions are available. I've used it a LOT for work .... tracking budgets, etc....but you are well beyond my knowledge. I've used it to develop financial statements, etc.

Sorry

samoth is offline Member
    Sorry, I can't really tell you anymore than that. If you go to the help function it will tell you what functions are available. I've used it a LOT for work .... tracking budgets, etc....but you are well beyond my knowledge. I've used it to develop financial statements, etc.

Sorry
    I went to help and all I got was a STUPID BLOODY PAPERCLIP THINGY that does no good! Where is the function availability thingy?

OMG the paperclip thingy moves!!!!

Lmao

Does the scarey paperclip let you ask a question by typing in a box?

THis is from a engineer friend of mine. Does this answer your question?

For his answer though use the = to start input the formual and U should be able to take the variables from a table in Excel on another worksheet. I believe that should work if i remeber.

samoth is offline Member
    U should be able to take the variables from a table in Excel on another worksheet.
    Sorry, but what does this mean? Open a second Excel spreadsheet?

Ok....I'm trying to get him to join so he can answer your questions. Hell if I know

Do you have yahoo msger ? He's on there and can chat with you about this.

samoth is offline Member
    Do you have yahoo msger ? He's on there and can chat with you about this.
    LOL, no, sorry. It's okay though, I'm just doing trial and error to see what works and what does not. I should be able to figure it out (hopefully).

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samoth
    No no.... much more than add.

Example:

One term is

(400 pi d [1/(g(sigma-rho))][(9 nu/2)^(1/2)])

Do I imput a formula like that, with each variable being inputed from a cell?

I've really never used Excel before, I am only guessing that it is like programming a calculator?
    Yes, you should be able to imput a formula just like that with the exception of two things:
    (1) you need to list the cells as A1, A2, etc, not as 1A, 1B as you indicate above.
    (2) pi should be listed as PI().

FOr your formula above, I'll assume the variables are in the following cells:
    d=A1
    g=A2
    sigma=A3
    rho=A4
    nu=A5

so, your formula should be:
    =400*PI()*A1*(1/(A2(A3-A4)))*((9*A5/2)^(1/2))

IM me if you have any furtehr questions.

samoth is offline Member
    Excellent!!! Thank you both. This should help a lot.

Thread Information