Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer

High School Steroid Use

Did anyone see the program 60 Minutes II tonight..They had a segment on a HS baseball player who committed suicide..Of course, they all pointed the finger at his steroid use /abuse..It is truly an unfortunate and tragic event, but I feel strongly against the fact that anabolic steroids were the "cause" of his suicide..I think this is one more major black eye for our lifestyle..

I also feel this solidifies the point of why the Mods and Admin are in the process of banning underage users of this website..The heat is always just around the corner..And anything we can do to keep the powers that be at bay, is a responsibility that not only the Mods and Admin share, but all of the active members here at AR..Peace!!

Doc M

pumpseeker is offline Senior Member
    I was just gonna start a thread about this B.S. Prime example of how the media perpetuates steroid myths! For those that missed it, the story was on this 17 year old H.S. baseball player from Plano, TX who was told to "get bigger" by his coach. He got on a cycle and immediately started doing "3 sets of 10 like it was nothing". Then, they say he had "roid rages" all the time and got "severe acne" on his back and a bloated face. Everything was blamed on AS, even his suicide! After coming off, he hung himself in his bathroom and died. They had this shrink saying steroids were to blame! After LMAO at first, I began to get pissed because this is the kind of media crap that convinces the public how bad AS is. Straight up B.S.!

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    the funny thing is i know kids who are in high school and have a few cycles under there belt. the funny thing is i ask them about PCT and they ask me what that is...LOL

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I saw it. It was ridiculous. While I believe no one with emotional problems should be using AAS, to blame it for a suicide is shifting the blame from where it belongs. The psychologist said that she had diagnosed him with severe depression before he had stopped using and told his family. His "roid rages" sounded like clear episodes of manic behavior caused by the depression.

GeoQuadzilla is offline Senior Member
    I seen it too man... and all i could do was shake my head... His parents say... "Without a doubt the steroids caused my sons suicide" I felt like cursing at the screen... Don't get me wrong it's totally unfortunate that, that young fella decided to end it... but blameing it on "Steroid Depression" cmonnn thats just rediculous there were definitely problems before the steroid use . Also i take into account that the average person is going to point the finger at us even more now then they already did in the past... and this is truely rediculous... because before they go spend a ton of money on a ticket for their kids for a football, baseball, hell pretty much every sport ppl use steroids they should think twice about what they are doing... If performance enhancing drugs weren't used... world records would never be broke, sport wouldn't be exciteing nor would it progress very much... and the amount of money people put into it, the amount of enjoyment they get from sport... They at least should start realizing and accepting that steroids is part of the game... No one is holding a gun to anyones head that is for sure. GQ

ColdSore is offline Banned
    is it just me or has steroid use gotten extra attention since bush's state of the union address...theres also a thread in the anabolic forum where some lame as espn writter is talking **** on aas use...and OF COURSE the public will blive anything they see or hear

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpseeker
    For those that missed it, the story was on this 17 year old H.S. baseball player from Plano, TX who was told to "get bigger" by his coach.
    I probably even know those coaches . I grew up in that area, wish i saw this.

allsaucedup is offline Member
    teenagers have enough emotional swings with the help of AS it sucks that the whole thing is being blamed on his juicing, but it just proves the point that you should not use until you have fully matured emotionally and physically. god knows the mood swings i have while on and i would hate to see what they would have been like when i was 16 or 17

Humanimal is offline Junior Member
    I have a story for the media (although they wont run it). Ive made several advances in my life since first using aas (although I dont necessarily credit aas). Ive been "diagnosed" by close friends who know of my aas use as becoming more mellow- yes, mellow, and happier since using them. These friends also happen to use aas. Two of which are lawyers, one is an accountant, and one is a script writer/director (mildly successful- still young though). I also know of several other aas users who lead very positive and successful lives. Will 60 minutes ever broadcast aas success stories like this? Im not trying to glorify steroid use , just basically saying stories like the ones shown on tv bashing aas use is BU!!SH!T

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    I saw the show....it was so absurd that I had to change the channel....I can watch and listen to just about anybody's point of view...but when the facts are distorted and not accurate it really pisses me off....what ever happened to "fair and balanced"?

peace,

ttgb

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    HS school coach back home was giving linemen roids..running backs coke!This happens everywhere.

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoQuadzilla
    I seen it too man... and all i could do was shake my head... His parents say... "Without a doubt the steroids caused my sons suicide" I felt like cursing at the screen... Don't get me wrong it's totally unfortunate that, that young fella decided to end it... but blameing it on "Steroid Depression" cmonnn thats just rediculous there were definitely problems before the steroid use. Also i take into account that the average person is going to point the finger at us even more now then they already did in the past... and this is truely rediculous... because before they go spend a ton of money on a ticket for their kids for a football, baseball, hell pretty much every sport ppl use steroids they should think twice about what they are doing... If performance enhancing drugs weren't used... world records would never be broke, sport wouldn't be exciteing nor would it progress very much... and the amount of money people put into it, the amount of enjoyment they get from sport... They at least should start realizing and accepting that steroids is part of the game... No one is holding a gun to anyones head that is for sure. GQ
    What is really ironic is that one of the major warnings for antidepressants is increased risk for suicide during the first 6 weeks of therapy. Also if yo go off of antidepressants you can experience a huge rebound effect of severe depression. Hmm, maybe that should make antidepressants illegal too. The thing that kills me though is that all these legislators will take advantage of the hype, pass tougher AS laws and claim to be protecting kids. It's all bullsh*t. Teen suicide is a symptom of an illness, depression. There are thousands of factors that can trigger suicide, Be glad those f*cks who shot apart Columbine HS weren't lifters using AAS.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markas214
    Be glad those f*cks who shot apart Columbine HS weren't lifters using AAS.
    OMG....can you imagine if they had found anything to do with AS with those guys....I don't even want to think about it....too bad they weren't into fitness training and shiat like that to begin with....instead of making pipe bombs, etc......

Testify is offline Senior Member
    I didn't see the story, but I saw the brief preview (the kind the news runs at the beginning, covering all the top stories). I was in bed with my wife and she turned to me and said "I don't want you to do that anymore . . . I don't want you to hurt yourself." She was offended when I laughed.

People do believe the half-truths they see on tv. It is the responsibility of the media to inform the public, not to cater to the frenzy. I was deeply disappointed to see the way that responsibility was being passed. It is true that depression can occur post-cycle . . . but there is more to the story than that.

The kid obviously had prior problems with depression, and did not know what he was doing in taking AAS. I doubt he knew anything about PCT. It should also be noted that with proper treatment for his depression (going to see his doctor, by simply following his doctor's prescriptions), this unfortunate incident would likely have been avoided.

Misinformation and ignorance drove this whole incident from beginning to end, and continues to drive the aftermath. I wish we had some reporters who were willing to dig a little deeper to get the facts on this story and on the subject of AAS. It is a self-perpetuating cycle . . . but I suppose this is the kind of thing that gets people to watch the news and buy papers. And since the only ones being hurt by it are "criminals," its all acceptible.

SilverSiR is offline Junior Member
    60 Minutes was the first "news" program to become popular because of senstionalism crap they put on. These guys love to sensationalize, it is good for tv and for the ratings. No one wants to watch a boring documentary type news these days, they want in your face, attention headline getting, scare you ****less type news. Remember right before 9/11, news channels were hurting for a story, so what did they focus on, well the oh so popular "shark attacks", they would try to make news out of it and scare you ****less to get in the water, even though they have experts coming on saying shark attacks rates are not any higher than previous years. Hell it worked, I remember them interviewing idiots, that say they would never swim in the ocean again. Other examples, Scott Peterson, who gives a **** about this guy, husbands murder wives all the time, but they are usually trailer park trash looking, not clean-cut like the Peterson family. How about all the kidnappings of little "white-girls", please, kids get kidnapped all the time, but when it is a rich little white-girl it is news like that pageant girl.

Read this guy's transcripts, obviously he knows aswell:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2001/COMMUNITY/11/02/glassner/

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanimal
    I have a story for the media (although they wont run it). Ive made several advances in my life since first using aas (although I dont necessarily credit aas). Ive been "diagnosed" by close friends who know of my aas use as becoming more mellow- yes, mellow, and happier since using them. These friends also happen to use aas. Two of which are lawyers, one is an accountant, and one is a script writer/director (mildly successful- still young though). I also know of several other aas users who lead very positive and successful lives. Will 60 minutes ever broadcast aas success stories like this? Im not trying to glorify steroid use, just basically saying stories like the ones shown on tv bashing aas use is BU!!SH!T

Good reply, and one I'd agree with. I'm a much happier, more confident person when I'm on a cycle. Due to an injury and surgery I had I had been clean approx 18months now but my dear wife ( ) is buying me a cycle next week for my birthday!. And boy, I'm looking forward to it.
    On the suicide of this poor kid, well you know, if his parents want to point the blaim at his steroid use its their right. They know the kid far better than any of us here, its easy for us to defend our lifestyle and ignore the fact that, yes steroid use probably can be a contributing factor in this kids suicide. For us to turn a blind one to the fact that steroids , or anyother medication not used properly can, and is dangerous is fool hardy.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    Good reply, and one I'd agree with. I'm a much happier, more confident person when I'm on a cycle. Due to an injury and surgery I had I had been clean approx 18months now but my dear wife ( ) is buying me a cycle next week for my birthday!. And boy, I'm looking forward to it.
    On the suicide of this poor kid, well you know, if his parents want to point the blaim at his steroid use its their right. They know the kid far better than any of us here, its easy for us to defend our lifestyle and ignore the fact that, yes steroid use probably can be a contributing factor in this kids suicide. For us to turn a blind one to the fact that steroids, or anyother medication not used properly can, and is dangerous is fool hardy.
    its very cool to see 60 year olds such as yourself still doing cycles.....keep up the good work old timer

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Mass, last week I added you to my MSN IM contacts. Where the heck are you skinny?

RP7
    RP7 is offline Member
    Is it the video games, alcohol, marijuana, contact sports, the news, violence in movies, Duke Nukem, heroine, peer pressure...

**** all of that bull****. How about bad neglecting parents?

Symian is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    On the suicide of this poor kid, well you know, if his parents want to point the blaim at his steroid use its their right. They know the kid far better than any of us here, its easy for us to defend our lifestyle and ignore the fact that, yes steroid use probably can be a contributing factor in this kids suicide. For us to turn a blind one to the fact that steroids, or anyother medication not used properly can, and is dangerous is fool hardy.
    You have a point. Nobody has the full story, but who's to say that the parents didn't have a role in his depression. It sure would be easy for them to use AS as denial for blaming themselves. Especially when it's all over national media.

Sym

Thread Information