ptbyjason Guest

Ex-Enron vice chair commits suicide

J. Clifford Baxter found dead of gunshot wound to the head

MSNBC STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

Jan. 25 — Former Enron Vice Chairman J. Clifford Baxter was found dead in his car in a Houston suburb Friday. Texas police said the cause of death was suicide

BAXTER, 43, WAS vice chairman of Enron when he resigned in May 2001, several months before the energy company’s collapse. Police in the Houston suburb, Sugar Land, said he was found dead of a gunshot wound to the head early Friday.
    “We are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of our friend and colleague, Cliff Baxter. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends,” the company said in a statement.
    Enron spokesman Mark Palmer had no additional comment.
    Baxter’s body was found at 2:23 a.m. local time Friday in between two medians in a residential area in Sugar Land. He was in the driver’s seat of the vehicle and a police officer stopped to check on him after noticing the parked car.
    The officer discovered what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound in Baxter’s head.
    Jim Richard, a Fort Bend County justice of the peace, ruled Baxter’s death a suicide mid-morning Friday.
    “We don’t have any other indication other than it being suicide,” said Sugar Land police Capt. David Marcaurele.
    Baxter had joined Enron in 1991 and was chairman and CEO of Enron North America prior to being named chief strategy officer for Enron Corp. in June 2000 and vice chairman in October 2000, the company said.

ptbyjason Guest
    Living in Houston, the whole Enron thing is all over the news. This just adds more drama to the situation. I really don't think he should have taken his life over this, unless there is a lot more that no one knows about yet regarding his involvement in the crash. Even then, is it really worth your life? If he was murdered...., well it is about to get really bad around here.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

i'm addicted to enron

i've been following it for so long now.did you see the hearings yesterday?i have on msnbc and cnn all day up until the news comes on in the nighttime.i can't wait til the ax comes down on all of them.so many families are destroyed by this whole mess that could have been prevented

Cali is offline Female Member
    It's unbelievable how much has happened with the economy lately. Sad to hear of someone dying over their job if that's what caused it. Who knows what else was going on in his life. Could be a coincidence, but it's doubtful. A friend of our family shot himself last week because of the farm economy. Hard to say what's going through their minds.

partyboy, did you see anything about them freezing the proceeds from insider trading? I haven't heard much on it.

he'd dead because it's better than life in prison,hahaha

did you se Kmart is just about done too.probably going bankrupt and theor accounts are now underinvestigation as well.could it be?a mini Enron?haha.

Cali, i haven't heard anythign yet.i thought i read something in US News and Reprt last week about something like that, but i can't remember.i'll go back and look but i haven't heard anything in the last two days at least

ptbyjason Guest
    Well I am glad to see I am not the only news junky on here.

Rush is talking about this very subject right now on the radio.

yeah i know

and w/ kmart they are saying their books are suspect after receiving a tip.so now they are gonna be under investigation for that.ahhh white collar crime is great!!!!!

gymtime is offline New Member
    I doubt this guy offed himself solely because of the scandal. I'm just guessing here, but he likely had many more problems to which this was a large contributor. This is an interesting story. Makes you wonder what is yet to unfold.

maybe the 22 million he banked

by selling off his shares in the company before it all fell apart.i guess a bullet in the head is easiler to take than many dicks in the ass in a prison shower.who knows?we'll see how it all unfolds but it's not gonna be pretty.oh well

ptbyjason Guest
    I wonder what happens to the 22 million now?

his acct is probably going to be frozen

pending investigation.i think it should be taken and put in a fund to reimburse all employees who weren't allowed to sell their shares while the higher ups sold theirs off.

ptbyjason Guest
    Originally posted by Diesel
    If there is any justice they should split it up between the employees that have been screwed.

I wish

ptbyjason Guest

Re: he'd dead because it's better than life in prison,hahaha

Originally posted by partyboynyc
    did you se Kmart is just about done too.probably going bankrupt and theor accounts are now underinvestigation as well.could it be?a mini Enron?haha.
    Here you go

i just want

our pussy of a president.you know the figure head who does nothing, but lean on his advisors, Mr. George W. Bush get indicted in this!!!he was sweating bullets a few weeks ago talking about it after being questioned.even Dick (my heart fails every 6 months) Cheney has big ties to Enron.take them all out and give the country back to the democrats!!!!!

yup

i voted for Gore.now i don't want to get into a political debate since the way i look at it parties are only the lesser of basically two evils and depending on the % structure of the house and senate determines anything even getting done in government.

but, this is how i see it, Repubs AND Democrats alike are always going to support big business and all that it determines in the way of amking politicians money, BUT at least the Democrats will throw you a bone once in awhile.

believe me, i'm not one to say this country is any better from a moral standpoint than any other country.we have our class sytems basically like everyoen else does.only good thing about america is that i'm not gonna get run over by a tank going to the store or shot for my religious beliefs.we have freedoms that other countries don't have, but it's still restricted freedom.

i don't know i don't wanna rant an rave.i'll shut up now

Re: his acct is probably going to be frozen

Originally posted by partyboynyc
    pending investigation.i think it should be taken and put in a fund to reimburse all employees who weren't allowed to sell their shares while the higher ups sold theirs off.
    Actually I had heard they wanted to seize all of the proceeds until the hearings were over to use for a settlement to everyone who owned Enron....

good points diesal

the people who owned and runned enron should all just be shot.they mislead investors, employees, and most importantly the SEC.oh they are all gonna go down!!woohooo

Thread Information