BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Most "Versatile" Athlete?

Okay, let's envision a scenario where the world's leading sports scientists, experts, fans and even athletes themselves were able to devise a decathlon of sorts (doesn't have to be ten, but for sake of argument) wherein ALL aspects of that traditionally falling under "athleticism" are tested to the Nth degree. We're talking strength, speed, hand-eye-coordination, dexterity, jumping ability, explosiveness, power, foot speed, stamina, and literally countless others I'm missing. How the test works is irrelevant...but let us assume it accurately tests ALL aspects of athleticism. Which athletes (in general or position specific if you'd like to further narrow it) come out on top in your opinion? Obviously the powerlifter or NFL lineman is going to tear it up in certain aspects but get demolished in others, as is the case with the a marathoner. Remember, we're theoretically testing the limits of human capabilities here.

I'll start by giving a nod, much as it pains me, to elite level basketball players (with elite WRs and TEs close behind in my opinion). Endurance-wise, there are few sports that compare (soccer likely surpassing it) save for those like triathlons and marathons specifically designed to test endurance. Plus it requires an insane amount of speed, coordination, and, increasingly strength. Yup, gotta give hoops the nod. Your thoughts?

palme is offline Rosie Member
    What about squash players? Intense, stamina, speed, movement, cordination, ballcontroll etc. Ive never tryed it but i understand they hafto have all these and more.

ECP challenge? Nah i doubt it

Anyway ill beet my money on the squash player over the basketballplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by palme
    What about squash players? Intense, stamina, speed, movement, cordination, ballcontroll etc. Ive never tryed it but i understand they hafto have all these and more.

ECP challenge? Nah i doubt it

Anyway ill beet my money on the squash player over the basketballplayer.
    Squash isn't a bad pick at all....know they need small bursts over and over again in terms of speed, but bballers need that AND all out sprints in the range of ten seconds or so. Do they ever hit that in squash? Endurance wise I'm sure they're on par (how long does a squash match last?) though i wonder if they have the pure sprinting speed that a top bballer has.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    IMO, I think defensive backs are the best athletes in football, and all of sports for that matter. They are guarding WR who are among the fastest athletes in sports. They also have to lay the wood in the open field, so they have to be able to take down a running back whose got some momentum without getting shook. Takes a **** good athlete to be able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    Squash isn't a bad pick at all....know they need small bursts over and over again in terms of speed, but bballers need that AND all out sprints in the range of ten seconds or so. Do they ever hit that in squash? Endurance wise I'm sure they're on par (how long does a squash match last?) though i wonder if they have the pure sprinting speed that a top bballer has.
    No not 10 second spirnts, but maybe 20-30seconds with running to both corners to hit that small ball, they only get to rest between the points and that isnt long. Endurance is a big part of that sport for sure. As for strength i doubt they need any so other sports would crush them in the test.

What about martial artists? They would probly do good aswell.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    BG, wouldn't iron man comps about cover this if you were to throw in the speed and weight lifting events?

I'd pick a top Ironman Compeditor........granted they wouldn't lift as much as a big powerlifter would but speed and endurance I think they would put up a great fight..........if your weigh over 200 speed and endurance are going to wear em down quick. Imho.

Btw a weightlifter would do best from "our side" (powerlifters, BB´s etc) i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    BG, wouldn't iron man comps about cover this if you were to throw in the speed and weight lifting events?

I'd pick a top Ironman Compeditor........granted they wouldn't lift as much as a big powerlifter would but speed and endurance I think they would put up a great fight..........if your weigh over 200 speed and endurance are going to wear em down quick. Imho.
    I think you're right in a lot of regards, but in terms of testing dexterity, coordination and overall versatility, not to mention explosiveness outside of the lifting variety (jumping ability, ability to change directions/"stop on a dime") I don't think that the advantage they have in endurance could offset what they're lacking in that department against a bballer.

Also, I may have been too hasty in not considering elite boxers....they'd be above average in virtually every single category, if you get what I'm saying. They'd probably not win a single imaginary "event" but would stand a good chance at the overall title by performing very well in all of them.

decadbal is offline Banned
    why are their so many of these threads up.... theorys are just a reason to fight on here....

A boxer would be an excellent pick Big Green. I was thinking of it from an over all standpoint as well......might lose in some areas but overall could take the title.

zx7racing is offline Senior Member
    i would say a middle to light heavy weight boxer... speed, hand-eye cord., explosive, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by decadbal
    why are their so many of these threads up.... theorys are just a reason to fight on here....
    I don't think so.....Big Green comes up with some really off the wall stuff.....pretty entertaining. Did you ever see the one he put up about who would win a fight between a man and a gorilla?

I don't think so.....Big Green comes up with some really off the wall stuff.....pretty entertaining. Did you ever see the one he put up about who would win a fight between a man and a gorilla?
    Ohhh...i miss that thread. That was wonderful.

So far the only negative talk in this thread have come from you!

I think this is a very good discussion and interesting to hear peoples views.

zx7racing is offline Senior Member
    this has officially been hi-jacked..
    i think boxers won the disscusion though..

what i said wasnt negative, and heavyweight boxers would win...

what i said wasnt negative, and heavyweight boxers would win...
    You think they would be able to hold up for the endurance portion?.......I was thinking that might be pretty hard for a heavy weight boxer to maintain. I know they are conditioned to hold their own for 15 rounds but what if the endurance portion is carrying a log for as far as you can as quick as you can?

yea, those guys run alot though, and alot is alot.. i think they could hang, they are stout and have endurance, its hard to say though....

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Definitely a decathalete.

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    We're talking strength, speed, hand-eye-coordination, dexterity, jumping ability, explosiveness, power, foot speed, stamina, and literally countless others I'm missing
    I would have to go with a hockey player. A foward player has to have almost all of the above just to make it into the nhl.

Testify is offline Senior Member
    How about an elite level olympic wrestler . . . probably an upper but not top weight class. Strength, speed, quickness, athleticism, dexterity, endurance . . .

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    You think they would be able to hold up for the endurance portion?.......I was thinking that might be pretty hard for a heavy weight boxer to maintain. I know they are conditioned to hold their own for 15 rounds but what if the endurance portion is carrying a log for as far as you can as quick as you can?
    A heavyweight boxer would not win. They may run a lot, but they don't run very fast. When i was in the lightweight class, i used to jump rope an hour a day. I don't know a single heavyweight that can do that.

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm not sure its a competitive sport, but I would say a rock climber (lead climber, or speed climber, not a top-roper).. I havn't seen a sport that can compare to endurance, strength, versatility, mental toughness, pretty much all of the above.. Those guys have to have the hand-eye cordination to grip, bascily 'nubs' of sharp rock, and with their fingers no less.. Talk about vise-grips for hands..

I tried top roping a few times back when i was younger, and i still can't compare it too any sport, as of yet.. Top roping is BS.. I'm talking about those lead climbers that go up and set the routes for the belayers.. Its impressive if you ask me..

Quote Originally Posted by Testify
    How about an elite level olympic wrestler . . . probably an upper but not top weight class. Strength, speed, quickness, athleticism, dexterity, endurance . . .
    ****, that's a good one. Maybe we should settle on ten events that test ALL aspects of athleticism so we know what we're working with. I would suggest soemthing like this:

1. 5 mile run
    2. 100 yard dash
    3. Shuttle Run
    4. Maximum Bench Press
    5. Maximum Repetions with 100% bodyweight on the Bench Press
    6. Maximum Squat
    7. Maximum Repetions with 150% bodyweight on the Squat
    8. Vertical Leap Test
    9. Some kind of static hold test (like the hercules hold in WSM)
    10. Something to test hand-eye coordination and reaction time

These don't come close to encapsulating them all, but do give us some rough guidelines to think about I guess. I still see either boxers, bball players or dbacks coming out on top. They would probably not win any, but would place very high in all.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Hockey players or maybe middleweight mma guys.

chevy44 is offline Member
    i have to agree w/ dnomac, defensive backs are conditioned to hang w/ the "david bostons" of the league, have to take down a running back in open field who, more than likely runs under a 4.5 and weighs up to 270. and they have to have hops to be able to defend the pass.

allsaucedup is offline Member
    i would agree with either a basketball player, or a defensive back, i think a middle weight boxer might be lacking in the strength category behind these too athletes. man this is a tough argument, being an ex college basketball player i tend to lean towards then but it is a tough call to make

Wiggum is offline Associate Member
    I would have to say elite or olympic rowers. For rowing you need overall coordination (proper technique), endurance, stamina, explosivness (for the start and finish of the race), hand/eye coordination, mental toughness, strength and most importantly, intensity. And that's on the water practice. Off the water practice is pure hell.
    BG had to see the Dartmouth guys out on the CT river while he was there.

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    This might not be what yall are looking for but i think that Marius Pudzianowski would win the most all of the events. He doesnt fit into the typical strongman category though. He is just an amazing athlete.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    A elite middle weight olympic wrestler would be my pic.

Quote Originally Posted by PurePower
    This might not be what yall are looking for but i think that Marius Pudzianowski would win the most all of the events. He doesnt fit into the typical strongman category though. He is just an amazing athlete.
    Maybe if he worked up his endurance, nobody would match him in strength thats for sure
    I think his pretty fast, have you seen the speed he has while having 175kg in each hand for farmers walk? Sh!t! Good pick monster!

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    lets not forget soccer players - endurance, speed, coordination

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    lets not forget soccer players - endurance, speed, coordination
    CYC is correct.......someone needs to run water out to the guys in the events. Good call CYC. hahahahahaha

Just joking big guy...........I'll have to agree with you as far as endurance and running............I could never play soccer......five minutes in and someone would be carrying me out on a gurny. But I thnk they would get killed in the lifting portions.

Now if you're talking about soccer moms.........hell yes. hahahahaha

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    upper body might not be so much but I bet you that they could do long reps with squats as proportion to bodyweight - they also could jump rather high I would expect as well

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    upper body might not be so much but I bet you that they could do long reps with squats as proportion to bodyweight - they also could jump rather high I would expect as well
    I don't doubt that. My buddy here at work used to play soccer and I'm not kidding BB's would kill for his calves. Freakin things are huge....makes me hate him even more. hahahaha

Big Green, I just figured out who'd I'd chose to represent in this event..................a gorilla! Endurance, strength, and speed he has.......he'll take a hit on the hand eye cordination thing I'd guess. hahahahaha

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Finally somebody agreed with me on a DB. I thought more of you would agree, they are badass. I also agree with the olympic wrestler, they are right up with DB's. Those dudes are raw in all aspects (strength, endurance, speed, agility, etc.)

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac
    Finally somebody agreed with me on a DB. I thought more of you would agree, they are badass. I also agree with the olympic wrestler, they are right up with DB's. Those dudes are raw in all aspects (strength, endurance, speed, agility, etc.)
    YEah my old wrestling coach(I have mentioned him several times in different threads lol but thats cause I am so impressed with the bastard)had it all. I have seen him do 110 dips nonstop, and 70 chins, he could run upp a very step hill(or well mountain I guess, 800meters high, i tried to run it once and was crawling after 20meters lol)with a weight west 2-3 times without any rest what so ever. He could run medium long distance(10km-15km) with the best of them, he almost matched highly trained cross country skieers in skiing, he always finisihed at the top of a 200km bike race that was everyyear in northern sweden and on and on and on. His weakness would be 1rm strenght I guess. Most impressive human beeing I have ever meet.

Thread Information