Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~

Help me pick a dog out...

Ok guys, here's what I am looking at, I need a big dog, fairly protective and loyal. I have a house that am waiting to be finished on 1/2 acre so the yard is not an issue. I work late and my lil sister is gonna be living with me (she's 17) and I don't want her there by herself. I'm looking at these breeds, rottweilers, bullmastiff, english bulldog, german shepard, south african mastiff...Any of you guys owned these breeds? Any suggestions? I don't like pittbulls

BDTR is offline Retired
    If you're looking for a loyal, loving and protective dog, get a pitbull. German Shepard would be my next choice.

ttuPrincess Guest
    I had a German Shepard (Gator was his name) and I recomend them greatly. Mine was very loyal, and loving to his family, but anyone who came near one of us got "checked" out, and if someone he was not use to touched one of us, he was very protective.

Swellin Guest
    The Doberman is the smartest most loyal dog a person can own. If I had the room and the time for them...I would have a dozen.
    My last one hated almost everybody he met...he got better as he got older. He had 5 friends and didn't think he needed any more. If he were around one of his friends, he wanted to be in their lap. I trained him a little obedience, and an impromptu entery (at the reqest of my vet) into a dog show placed him on the podium in the obedience class...the only thing we entered.

Unfortunately, Dobeis are not for everybody...they require a lot of time and socialization at an early age. They always require a ton of exercise. If you can handle that...let me give you some breeder's names. If not...forget about the breed.

Da Bull is offline Banned
    You can have my ex wife..she's german...she doesn't lick her own a$$,loyal and won't piss on the carpet

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    German Shepard would be my only choice. Their smart, level headed, and great family dog and completely loyal to you. Failing that, I make a great companion for 17 yr old sisters

ttuPrincess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    German Shepard would be my only choice. Their smart, level headed, and great family dog and completely loyal to you. Failing that, I make a great companion for 17 yr old sisters
    well you are a dog... no sure what breed though...and for sure all the cats are scared of you too

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by ttuPrincess
    well you are a dog... no sure what breed though...and for sure all the cats are scared of you too
    Oh, what I wouldn't give to find the tree your hiding in

ttuPrincess Guest
    UP HERE BOUNCER!!!!

Dobies are great dogs also!!! Only I was young (like 3 ) when mine had to have it's ears cut.. scary for young ones... very loyal dogs..

But I stick by my 1st pick of a German Shepard!!!! Mine would get in bed with me... big ass dog, not the brightest guy in the world, but loveable, loyal and protective!

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    I have a neo mastiff, great dog, very smart, though loyal to only one person and will not allow anyone to come onto lawn or in house, unless approval is given, and they get real big and they're alot of work.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    If it were me i'd get an irish wolfhound.

Swellin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull
    You can have my ex wife..she's german...she doesn't lick her own a$$,loyal and won't piss on the carpet
    I didn't think she looked like a dog though.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I have a Rottie........ Best and smartest dog I have ever owned. She was easy to train, very protective of my home and the people living in the house, she's looks like she will tear you to bits, and she has a great disposition.

She's 8 now so I only have a few more years with her but when she's gone I will get another Rottie.

Long&Strong is offline Associate Member
    Get a mix, I had a Rott/Mastiff mix and she was huge. she would be sweet to whomever i decided for her to be, and chase anyone else out of the house...**** I miss her!!!!

Rugby13 is offline Member
    I have a siberian husy just 5 months old and already 60lbs. Gonna be a big boy....Love people that I know but I can already see him get a little jumpy when some walks near us that he doesn't know. He loves our other male dog and loves kids that come play with him. I know you weren't looking at them but they've always been a fav of mine. Other than that we also had a german shep....Great dogs as well, just make sure you have its hind quarters checked, they can be prone to hip displacia.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    I had a bullmastiff when I was a kid, and the one we had was great with kids. From what I've seen, they'd be much better with kids than a German Shepherd.
    I used to train German Shepherds (and a Terrier) in the USAF, and I'd say that a bull mastiff would make a better guard dog. Plus, I don't think they have the hip problems Shepherds have. Just don't train it to be aggressive, or if it bites anyone you'll have a heckuva lawsuit on your hands . . .

English Bulldogs I don't think would make good watchdogs . . . they look mean, but they're pussies at heart. Pit Bulls, no way . . . less reliable as a breed, from what I've seen. And when they get started, they can do an awful lot of damage, sometimes kill a (innocent) person or family member.

Yah, of your listed choices, I'd go with a bullmastiff.
    --Tock

Originally Posted by Da Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Swellin
    I didn't think she looked like a dog though.

Only from the back . . .
    --Tock

BDTR is offline Retired
    I've owned 10 pitbulls in my life, sweetest dogs ever, and very controlable if you train them right. The only time one ever bit someone was when i got in a fight with someone in my kitchen and my pitbull loki dove on him and bit his arm and shook. He used to guard my neice too... he'd bark at any strangers that weren't accompinied by someone he knew that came near her.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    Pit Bulls, no way . . . less reliable as a breed, from what I've seen. And when they get started, they can do an awful lot of damage, sometimes kill a (innocent) person or family member.

Yah, of your listed choices, I'd go with a bullmastiff.
    --Tock

They used to use Airedales in the German Army in WWI. They aren't all that big, but they pack a lot of power in what they have. They tend to be more intelligent than the other breeds you mentioned, and take to obedience training better, are well suited to police work (and property protection) . . . so you might consider them, as well, especially if you want a dog with a bit more 'smarts.'
    -Tock

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    my choice would definitaly be a pit bull...cant go wrong you will never see a more loyal dog... its just the idiots who abuse them and make them fight give them the bad rep they have.... also fairly easy dog to train... and there is nothing cuter than a pity when they are pps and they have there tails cut a bit like a rotty.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    All these Dogs are wounderfull and great loyal animals, but the best guard dog i have evre seen is a Airdale they are Big ass Sh!t extremly loyal my uncle has 2 i think they get up into the 100-120 pound range maybe bigger ???, pluse they dont shed if you have a problem with alergies,

eshestun is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    I've owned 10 pitbulls in my life, sweetest dogs ever, and very controlable if you train them right. The only time one ever bit someone was when i got in a fight with someone in my kitchen and my pitbull loki dove on him and bit his arm and shook. He used to guard my neice too... he'd bark at any strangers that weren't accompinied by someone he knew that came near her.
    Exactly, its not the dog, its how you train it. i also have a pit and trained him good. my mom that never liked or got near a dog oves my dog. They just have a bad name cause people buy them and throw them in their backyard.

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    Best dog I ever had was an Akita. I spent a lot of time training her. Very loyal with my family and didn't want anything to do with strangers. A thing you need to consider is home owners insurance. Some companies will refuse to cover certain breeds and if your dog bite a kid you are basically screwed.

Devourer is offline Senior Member
    australian sheperds are nice dogs...

jbolsrn is offline Female Member
    Great Daine, sweet as sh#$, and big as he#$! Awesome dogs!
    " Who needs experience, when you have medical training"

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    yes pitbulls are wonderful dogs......they are just like any other dog, if you train them to be mean then they will be mean. Dobermans are great dogs as well.

if someone is intent on causing harm-- dog shmog-- they probably are armed and dont care what you got barking and charging at them, any good size dog that will bark and protect with a dog bowl out side that says killer will cause most people to look at another house.

ross3814 is offline Member
    get a boxer... great dogs...

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    I found some registered breeders with 100 pound pitts. **** south african mastiffs are awesome but like $2500...I'm thinking a rott or bullmastiff...I like the shepards but long hair sux...

here's a link to the South african mastiffs if you guys have never seen them,
    http://www.african-boerboel.co.za/

BDTR is offline Retired
    http://muglestonspitbullfarm.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by ironfist
    I found some registered breeders with 100 pound pitts. **** south african mastiffs are awesome but like $2500...I'm thinking a rott or bullmastiff...I like the shepards but long hair sux...

here's a link to the South african mastiffs if you guys have never seen them,
    http://www.african-boerboel.co.za/

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    I have a Pitt/Rott mix. Love her to death. Sweetest and most emotional dog Ive ever seen. I baby her to death though. Never bit anyone, but she doesnt like strangers coming into my house. Strangers outside, no problem, unless your a shady character and then she doesnt like ya (funny how dogs have that sense). If someone seriously decided to mess with me with her there, I am confident she would rip their head off. Other than that, shes very gentle. Used to play with my cat all day, and now plays with my relatives poodle/lapso and lapso that I live with. Gentle as can be.

I like Dobermans as well. Id love to find a Wolf/Lab mix. American bull dog too, but the are so expensive..up there with Presca Canara's. Too much money for me. I imagine a Lab, Mastiff, Great Dane, about any dog could be protective though.

Hell Ive seen my aunts Lapso send the mailman running in terror before.

LM1332 Guest
    rottie is the best all around dog

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I have a bullmastiff.. She is about 8 months old right now and she is probably one of the best dogs I have eve had. Very loyal to my family, smart, affectionate to family members, she snoars, farts, burps and is about 80lbs right now.

Here is a old pic of her a few pounds lighter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me pick a dog out...-chloe1.jpg   Help me pick a dog out...-chloe2.jpg  
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Illusion of size is offline Junior Member
    I've got two Rotts. Very loyal, very friendly but also attentive and with a strong natural guard instinct. Just socialize and train them to look mean but be nice. For some reason though my male hates it when I'm hitting a heavy bag. He tries to chew the bottom off the bag when I train.It's funny but a little irritating. He thinks sparring is play time so I have to tie him. They are an awsome dog.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I'm with bdtr on this.... get a pittbull. Since I got turned onto the breed I can honestly say they are the most loyal breed I have ever owned. They will give their life for you if need be.... they are however a one person owner..... but mine was extremely protective over my daughter..... I'd really check into it if I was you.

Sierra_Breeze is offline Female Member
    I, have to vote for the rottie, mine is 6 months old she's a big Baby, very sweet, but looks like she'd take your arm off if you tried to pet her, she's very alert and gives us ample warning that something or someone is around.
    I agree that if someone is dead set on getting into your home they likely won't be stopped by the presence of a dog, however they can and do give you a bit of warning that something isn't right and give you time to get help on the way, or time to get to a safer place in the home untill help can arrive.
    Also the german shepards, pitbulls, would be a good choice I have seen good and bad in both breeds but I think if raised and trained properly they make excellent dogs. Just my .02

LM1332 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    I'm with bdtr on this.... get a pittbull. Since I got turned onto the breed I can honestly say they are the most loyal breed I have ever owned. They will give their life for you if need be.... they are however a one person owner..... but mine was extremely protective over my daughter..... I'd really check into it if I was you.
    Thats why they attack and eat ppl all the time. Most recent accident pittbull chewed off two arms of this old lady when she was feeding him

Vice is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LM1332
    Thats why they attack and eat ppl all the time. Most recent accident pittbull chewed off two arms of this old lady when she was feeding him
    You read to many inquirers!

The story was most likely blown out of proportion, most likely the lady tried to feed a dog she didn't know and the dog didn't take a liking to it.

Symian is offline Member
    I had a friend that had an English Mastiff, and that dog was badass! She was HUGE and very loud when she barked! If you wanna be able to scare the crap out of someone with a dog the mastiff would be my choice. I just hope you can afford to feed it. My buddy fed his a whole raw chicken every day.

Sym

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Staffordshire Terrier.

Amazingly smart dogs...not super aggressive...but can kick some ass when they want to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information