Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rambo is offline The Lord God

What is Happiness?

I told you I'm taking this lounge back, and I AM.

I originally posted this question to another AR member, and got an excellent response, and I'll let him do the honors to post it himself. I want to hear some dissenting opinions, though.

Is it the Proustrian pleasure of rememberance or the intrinsic ability to anticipate that bears the greatest relief?

Translation: Is it better that the happiest moment of your life has already passed, and you can always remember it...

OR

Is it better that your happiest moment hasn't come yet, so you can always look forward to it?

I hate you.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    it's finding your skate key.

nostawk is offline Associate Member
    its urinating when your really drunk and when you really have to go

LM1332 Guest
    happiness is money

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    happiness is money power and respect...but we all know money makes the world go round

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo

Is it the Proustrian pleasure of rememberance or the intrinsic ability to anticipate that bears the greatest relief?

Translation: Is it better that the happiest moment of your life has already passed, and you can always remember it...

OR

Is it better that your happiest moment hasn't come yet, so you can always look forward to it?
    Neither - it is the ability to enjoy the current moment to its fullest that it can be experienced - the past is forever gone, the future cannot be known - complete happiness is the ability to live in the ever present now as if it is the only moment of time. That may seem trite but you truly can enjoy every moment - no matter what your circumstances.

nostawk is offline Associate Member
    ok i changed my mind. its an emotional state of well being

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    Neither - it is the ability to enjoy the current moment to its fullest that it can be experienced - the past is forever gone, the future cannot be known - complete happiness is the ability to live in the ever present now as if it is the only moment of time. That may seem trite but you truly can enjoy every moment - no matter what your circumstances.
    Good response from the narcoleptic leper. Impressive.

I think I might know someone who can top that. I'm calling him out. He knows who he is.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Happiness is resting my nuts on your forehead.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    Happiness is resting my nuts on your forehead.
    I don't think I'm your type Carlos. I'm not a 11 year old Phillipino boy.

I don't think I'm your type Carlos. I'm not a 11 year old Phillipino boy.
    Nor am I your type. I know how you prefer manly looking mahogany trannies.

Rambo Happy

Here is yet another reason why I'm better than all of you.

rambo > Carlos + chrisadams
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is Happiness?-carlos-tranny.jpg  

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Happiness is having true a friend/s. A friend who would take up your cause for the simple reason it’s a cause you choose. A man or woman who hasn’t a single true friend, imho, will lead a wanting existence.

Happiness is giving all of yourself to others with no thought of reciprocation.

Happiness is derived in the moment….not tomorrow or yesterday but this very moment.

I’m HAPPY I have this moment to say something to a person I consider a friend. And I’m HAPPY I have a friend interested in what I have top say…….even if they don’t agree with it.

I’m happy no one is like me and I’m happy I’m like no one else.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    I told you I'm taking this lounge back, and I AM.

I originally posted this question to another AR member, and got an excellent response, and I'll let him do the honors to post it himself. I want to hear some dissenting opinions, though.

OR

I hate you.
    Have you read Proust? I cannot believe you posted this thread...as I am in the midst of buying his 6 pack of books.

Danielle is offline Female Member

VIVACIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........lol......Carl os,..........you hitting up Black this weekend?
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

jbolsrn is offline Female Member
    Happiness is realizing money, people, materialistic things do not need to exist to be at peace. Sure they are nice to have around but, they have nothing to do with happiness.
    " Who needs experience, when you have medical training"

takara is offline Junior Member
    I agree... happiness is being able to appreciate the current moment to its full extent with no regrets. Making the most out of a single moment and not taking it for granted because their will never be another moment exactly like the one just experienced.

~Takara
    Last edited by takara; 03-13-2004 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    Have you read Proust? I cannot believe you posted this thread...as I am in the midst of buying his 6 pack of books.
    Yes, while I am a firm believer that Proust was a prick, he had a couple relatively decent things to say.

You know that Proust isn't a beer company right? Maybe you wanted a 6 pack of Pabst?

Testify is offline Senior Member
    Happiness is not Proustian . . . its Faustian.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Happiness is getting through the day without staining my new underwear

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    Happiness is getting through the day without staining my new underwear
    My guess is you're an angry young man with no joy in life whatsoever. hahahaha

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    My guess is you're an angry young man with no joy in life whatsoever. hahahaha
    lmfao...well at least when I wear boxer briefs they dont fit me like thongs Juggly

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    Carlos,..........you hitting up Black this weekend?
    I might. My friends want me to go but I'm not sure. Are you going?

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    i subscribe to Aquinas' view of happiness as the ultimate end for all our actions.

we would not act unless we perceived some happiness to be derived from an action. human action v. a human act...a human act would be breathing or blinking while human action is a product of satisfying our rational appetite and to a lesser extent, our desires.

people do different things that contradict their morals or judgements all the time.

bundy derived happiness from murder, while mother teresa derived happiness from helping others in need.

both were happy when they performed, so it has to be individualistic and the product of some action.

I might. My friends want me to go but I'm not sure. Are you going?
    ehhhhhh......i've been out of the whole "scene" for quite a few months now.......i do want to go........but i might wait for it to cool down a bit......its going to be mobbed.........and its not like he's not going be there every saturday........and supposely its "dress to impress"........we'll see............
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    I think its not what you got... but who. If someone offered a couple million $$ or a few good trusted friends. I'd have to go with the friends HANDS DOWN!
    Lifes short... do what ever makes YOU happy.

ehhhhhh......i've been out of the whole "scene" for quite a few months now.......i do want to go........but i might wait for it to cool down a bit......its going to be mobbed.........and its not like he's not going be there every saturday........and supposely its "dress to impress"........we'll see............
    For the life of me I have no clue why people like Vivacious. Or any drag queen for that matter. I went to school in DC and we used to see Kevin Aviance in clubs. We used to throw cups and ice cubes at him. The guy up and moves to NYC and all of a sudden he's famous.

For the life of me I have no clue why people like Vivacious. Or any drag queen for that matter. I went to school in DC and we used to see Kevin Aviance in clubs. We used to throw cups and ice cubes at him. The guy up and moves to NYC and all of a sudden he's famous.

OMG........lol.....i know.........everyone @ Factory sweated her.....(or him).....whichever........... ......but then again everyone sweated JP, Richard Grant and all the bouncers too........

OMG........lol.....i know.........everyone @ Factory sweated her.....(or him).....whichever........... ......but then again everyone sweated JP, Richard Grant and all the bouncers too........
    Guys I thought we agreed this thread was about ME.

jbol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LM1332
    happiness is money
    i agree...whoever says money cant buy happiness...is full of s**t

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I spent a good twenty minutes replying to this thread and it timed out on me....grrrr. I'll repost when i feel motivated. Ie, after i finish watching braveheart.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Happiness . . .
    Back before the Salvation Army kicked me out, I had a conversation with one of the local town drunks by the railroad tracks . . . he told me about how he had a big job, a fancy house, a wife and kids, and how he lost it all when his house burnt to the ground with his wife and kids in it. I listened to his story, watched in awe as he emptied half a bottle of something down his throat without bothering to swallow. He turned and looked at me and said, "And after years of thinking about the meaning of life, I've figured out that to be happy, all you need to do is keep your stomach full and your bowels empty." I watched him empty the rest of the bottle down his throat, he got up, shook hands, and waddled back to his cardboard box he called home.
    Yah, that's the kind of thing you don't forget . . .

--Tock

Guys I thought we agreed this thread was about ME.

...........didnt mean to jack it

someday is offline Member
    happiness is waking up naked....

and looking over at the hottie next to you and realizing she's naked too.

you like my ink?

I guess i'll post how i really look at it now, seeing as how no one picked up on my reference to the song "happiness is".

Happiness is all about how you look at it. If you consider something that makes you happy to be happiness, you are mistaken. An example can never be a definition. Sophistic logic would dictate that there are no definitions, that is, no Truths. However, Socratic logic states that there is a single definition that encompasses all examples without being anything other than the definition. For example, socrates defined color as "that which always follows or preceeds shape in perception" which i feel is a fair definition. However, I am sure that no matter what the definition, someone can always find a fault with it, which negates its purpose. The true knowledge of definition is divine, and i'd rather not dwell on it. I know what makes me happy.. even if i don't know exactly what happiness is.

Just for the fun of it i'll try to take a stab at defining happiness...

Happiness is both hunger and fullness.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    As much as it sickens me to do this..... I must agree with CYC here.... I used to live in the past, than I changed and dreamed about the future.... both times I was so busy doing such that life passed me by... I have learned that happiness is in the now, making the best of every situation....forget about what happened yesterday and don't worry about what's going to happen tomorrow.... just enjoy today....

BDTR is offline Retired
    Happieness is knowing what you want and how to get it. Nothing more IMO.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    I think it has more than a little to do with being in harmony with the world around you. Once you find a happy place where your surroundings no longer conflict with the person that you are, ya, that's happiness . . .
    -Tock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information