Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IronCy is offline Senior Member

How hard is it to learn to ride a motorcycle?

I have wanted to learn forever!! I have signed up for a motorcycle beginners course in the early spring (4 hours in class, 2 half days on bikes)........keep in mind, I never was taught to drive a manual transmission automobile...Just wanted to know how hard it is for most people to learn to ride motorcycles...I want a sportbike, but nothing too big, I think even a 600cc will be too much, but I am not sure...any opinions are welcome. This ought to be an interesting spring/summer
    -Cy

Stopps is offline New Member
    I bought a honda interceptor last year, the moter was toast but i rode it anyway, changed moters through the winter and now im good to go. I found it to be easy riding, but then the only thing i have ever ownd is standard cars.. its a good idea to take your course, youll come out knowing at least the basics and youll feel allot more comfortable on your bike... good luck, the only thing is once you start youll never stop.... bikes are the only way to go in the summer...

Devourer is offline Senior Member
    well i started riding when i was 8 so it cant be that hard...

SpunHoney is offline Female Member
    ~Hell i fi can elarn how to ride any one can!~
    ~MOD @IRONBODYBUILDING ~
    ~MOD@BIGDOGBODYBUILDING~
    ~You know that place between awake and asleep? The place where you remember dreamin' That is were i will always love you, that is where i will wait~

Stopps is offline New Member
    also since your on AR here im guessing your at least a decent size , so get at least a 600, i have a 500 and im getting a 750 this summer, a 600 would the the smallest i would go now... all my buddies have bored out Harleys and i have a hell of a time keeping up on my 500.... just my thoughts

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    i taught my ex how to ride her ninja 500 in about 2 days, just have someone take you to a high school parking lot, make sure it is a small bike, like a 500 or so, and have them drive the bike with you infront of them, they'll be sitting like a passanger, just cruise around in 1st gear and just follow there movements, after a while they can just jump off the back, (remember your only in 1st gear) and you can ride around by yourself. i did this and taught my ex how to ride in 2 days, she never ever rode a bike before this. she did drive a stick and that helps alot just because you understand how gears come into play with turning and such. i learned when i was 6, but i taught her when she was 19. you can pick it up so easy dont sweat it at all

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    I learned how to ride a dirtbike when i was 9, so im sure you can learn.... Its pretty easy...

shootdeep is offline Member
    buy the biggest bike you can afford. just use your brain on it. i have a modified '03 GSXR1000 and if my brain says "go slow" even a 1000 will go slow(my brain hardly ever says that though) just be safe

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Its easy to learn. Start with whatever you're comfortable with. Like others have said, just because its 1000ccs doesnt mean you can't handle it. Just take it nice and slow for a while.....it all depends on you....

Vidooch is offline Associate Member
    yeah riding a bike isnt hard at all. start off practicing by buying an old junker or any half-assed bike and then ride that until you know you are really good and then buy a brand new rice rocket later!!

well, im getting mixed responses...on other boards (wont take the time to name them), they dont recommend at bike as big as a 600cc, they state that, when just starting out, most sport bikes 600cc and higher, are touchy on the throttle, which can cause problems for new bikers, they suggest a 500cc or smaller....but to be honest, I dont want to waste the time buying a smaller less powered bike to learn on, then have to turn around and sell to upgrage...is that 100cc going to mean that much....I understand less powerfull bikes will be more forgiving, I was trying to measure how much of a difference I should expect by going the "safe" route.
    -Cy

mass junkie is offline banned
    I assume that your a relatively smart guy and pick up on things quick............Learing to ride a motorcycle is very simple.....the hardest thing is learing the right combination of throttle and clutch........once you learn this the rest is cake.....you will be nervous the 1st few time you ride on a busy street.....same as you did when you learned to drive a car........I wouldnt get anything less than 750 cc's.........Simple because when you do learn to ride.......you will regret having a smaller bike with less power.....

TPAK is offline Associate Member
    Well I have been riding dirt bikes since I was 5. So it is **** easy. You are going to notice the most differance if you try to ride double with a small CC bike. Having to shift down and stuff on hills. But I think a 500CC would be fine.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    It is too easy that is the problem. You get these young punks buying the 180bhp Yamaha R1's thinking that are a pro racer with a weeks experience and then they end up being scraped off the road with a shovel and washed down with a hose. Sad but I see this time and time again.

Bro if you take it easy you will not become one of the statistics above. The only real problem you may have at first is getting out of first gear. From there you shouldn't have a problem. Don't be going into corners too hot and watch everyone else like a hawk.

SpunHoney is offline Female Member
    ~What is wrong with a R1?? LOL JK....I learned on a R6 then the Ex upgraded to a R1.....It was great he is a motorcycle Mechanic so we had access to what ever bike we wanted!~
    ~MOD @IRONBODYBUILDING ~
    ~MOD@BIGDOGBODYBUILDING~
    ~You know that place between awake and asleep? The place where you remember dreamin' That is were i will always love you, that is where i will wait~

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    learning on a bike like that is not safe. sure you can learn to ride it but you skip over alot of the basics that will save your life someday.

another thing ride your bike like everyone is out to kill you. when your coming to the intersections have a hand hovering on the brake just incase that **** car doesnt see ya. cause guess what, they wont. they are looking for a 4 wheeled machine not you on a little ass bike. its doesnt show up in the quick glance they took.

another think you might wanna start off on a smaller bike is weight and geometry, sport bikes turn a whole lot differant then the cruisers, the angle the front forks are set gives them very differant turn - in characteristics. just something to remember. dont get a ego on a bike, youll get hurt very fast. ride the first year to learn, then ride the second bike on what you want (bigger, faster bike)

i rode dirt bikes since i was 6 or so, then i started riding my dads street bike around my neighborhood at 6th grade, then i bought my first street bike at 17 (katana 600) a year later i sold it and got my real bike (cbr 929rr) but guess what that got stolen lol hahaah so ill by my next bike after i get my garage finished
    Last edited by jcstomper; 03-02-2004 at 06:08 PM.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    You know its such a coincidence because as I was leaving my camp today to go get some food, some dude wrecked on his harley right in front of me. He was going about 40 miles an hour and luckily wasnt hurt. In fact he got up and ran over to his bike to see if it was ok. Oh and uh happy riding.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    The only thing you have to worry about while riding a bike............

the sudden stop............
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

So, what is a good starter bike? Im looking for a used bike, approx $3500-if I decide on a smaller, $5500 if I decide on a 600 or 750, I could get a real old one from the 80's but I would rather get something a bit newer...I really like the R6 and gsxr600/750..but again, Im back up into more powerfull bikes..I spoke with a salesman at a local bike dealer, he suggested the suzuki sv650 or sv650s...b/c its a vtwin engine, which is easier to learn on, and more forgiving as far as the power curve compaired to an inline. Im 6'2" 220lbs, so I know height and weight will make a difference...any more opinions?
    -Cy

Your a big boy....so go with the 750

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    bro im still dyin to learn how to lift up the back tire like you see in the ruff ryder videos they do those crazy wheelie's with the back tire up and ride it for like 20 yards

Quote Originally Posted by LilVito469
    bro im still dyin to learn how to lift up the back tire like you see in the ruff ryder videos they do those crazy wheelie's with the back tire up and ride it for like 20 yards
    I think Ive seen that movie biker boyz like 50 times......trying to mimmick some of those tricks

zx7racing is offline Senior Member
    i dont subscribe to the idea of "learner" bikes.. ive riden since i was a kid- but didnt get serious about it untill around 18.. started of on a old school gsxr 750.. since then ive raced amature motorcross and amature road race (victory series)...
    i'll say find the style of riding you want to do then go from there.. meaning do you want an agressive bike; i.e r6, r1, gsxr, cbr etc... or a sport touring type; i.e. sv650 sv1000, tlr1000, or maybe just a cruiser- valkery, harley type bikes..
    from there get a bike in your price range (doesnt matter the size) and make sure you dont care if its dropped (this is going to happen- there are two types of riders 1. those who have fell, 2. the ones who havent fallen YET.)
    then go out and ride- you may find that you dont even enjoy it- i know many people who have gone out bought 10-20k dollar bike to just have them sit in their garage because they dont "like" to ride...

heres my toy for the time being..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How hard is it to learn to ride a motorcycle?-1-clear-coat-left-2-.jpg   How hard is it to learn to ride a motorcycle?-1-clear-coat-left-9-.jpg   How hard is it to learn to ride a motorcycle?-1-clear-coat-left-10-.jpg  
    Last edited by zx7racing; 03-03-2004 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zx7racing
    i dont subscribe to the idea of "learner" bikes.. ive riden since i was a kid- but didnt get serious about it untill around 18.. started of on a old school gsxr 750.. since then ive raced amature motorcross and amature road race (victory series)...
    i'll say find the style of riding you want to do then go from there.. meaning do you want an agressive bike; i.e r6, r1, gsxr, cbr etc... or a sport touring type; i.e. sv650 sv1000, tlr1000, or maybe just a cruiser- valkery, harley type bikes..
    from there get a bike in your price range (doesnt matter the size) and make sure you dont care if its dropped (this is going to happen- there are two types of riders 1. those who have fell, 2. the ones who havent fallen YET.)
    then go out and ride- you may find that you dont even enjoy it- i know many people who have gone out bought 10-20k dollar bike to just have them sit in their garage because they dont "like" to ride...

heres my toy for the time being..
    Sweet bike bro...I take its a new one for ya since you have the paper tag and all

its not a paper tag-- i had a pretty bad spill on it. so i had to replace all the plastic on it.. the tail and the rest is carbon fiber- so there isnt a place to mount the tag... its just fastened underneath.

heres pics of the tail and undertray.. the lower scoop had to be fabricated to mount a LCD for a brake light..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How hard is it to learn to ride a motorcycle?-paint.jpg   How hard is it to learn to ride a motorcycle?-paint-1-21-.jpg   How hard is it to learn to ride a motorcycle?-paint-n-tape1.jpg  

zx7,
    your bike looks awesome!, i want a sport bike, not a cruiser, or a touring bike....so I guess I will have to start looking for a 750 of some sort....i like the look of the gixxer, and it has a pretty good rep in the industry....I just dont want to bite off more then i can chew, cause I know Im gonna take some spills. The good thing is, is that the class that I will be taking provides the bikes, i highly doubt it, but maybe there will be a 750 i can take the class on..Thanks for everyone's input....

--has anyone ever bought a bike off of ebay? or ever bought a bike that was listed in another state....please describe your purchase.

most of the public learning classes offer nija 250s- its just to get the basics down and to get you more comfortable on two wheels..
    as far as biting off more than you can chew- just remember its all in your wrist- newer sport bikes have the capability to get a novice rider in trouble quicker than you think.. even the 600s pack a strong punch (anyone of the 04 600 cafe bikes can stand up at will in 1st through 3rd gear) keep that in mind when you want to crank the throttle back...
    be safe...

lxorl is offline Associate Member
    its not hard. I learned a little over a year ago through one of those courses.

KrashRoute is offline Associate Member
    Just get a buddy that rides and have him show you. I agree with learnin small and workin up. Its really not too hard to learn to ride for fun. Ridin like a madman well... different story.

Your a big boy....so go with the 750
    I will take that as a compliment!

zx7, that dude in the video is insane....I cant picture myself going that fast...ever...but you never know!
    -Cy

that was my point when i said that even the 600s stroke it out pretty fast.. i hear people all the time saying 'ohh start out on a 600- you'll be fine' at the same time i have friends rape by me on the track with their "little" 600s- by the way i ride an R1... just something to keep in the back of your head..
    foe me its a passion though- wheather i'm on a track or just going out to screw off.. i forget about absolutly everything when i ride- and you'll meet some really cool people.. people who ride are kinda like people on this board- its a brotherhood kinda thing; not trying to be nostalgic, but none the less- everyone is always willing to help another out- people who ride know what i mean..

Quote Originally Posted by IronCy
    I will take that as a compliment!

-Cy
    it was

yeah, thats what everyone that rides says, when your riding, you forget everything else....its like getting away in your own little world...well, I found this bike at a local dealer, what do you guys think
    02 750 Katana, 3k miles, $3800
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How hard is it to learn to ride a motorcycle?-01gsx750a.jpg  

jersey juice is offline Member
    IronCy first off that chick in your avatar is hot as hell... she just looks dirty LOL. OK, my first bike is a 750 and I've kept it just because I love the thing.. it's a Honda Shadow American Classic... nice cruiser, V-twin motor and can get out of it's own way. Taking the course is smart, I rode on a permit for about 7 months while I was waiting to go, but it's easier to get a license through them cause my bike was too big for the DMV course... I failed it twice. A couple rules... NO, the other driver doesn't see you or hear you. I have open pipes with no baffles and everyone behind me hears it, but no one in front does... second let a bigger vehicle run interference for you going through city intersections... don't know where you live. Keep the shiny side up, and the clutch is your friend. Oh, and if you see a group riding, don't just think you can join in... you might get yourself in a serious problem. Good luck!

i would go with the sv650 way before a katana- as a matter of fact; i would suggest you not even look at another katana- they are just horrible bikes all around..

mass,
    your so sweet...LOL!
    I still wanna see pics of your saltwater tank!

jj,
    you would not believe how many people have commented on the pic, i dont even know who she is...but it seems to get my posts looked at...so did you start out learning on a 750?

zx7,
    why no katanna? i really dont like the look of the bike, but it was fairly new and in my price range? what about this one...00gsxr600, $5000?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How hard is it to learn to ride a motorcycle?-00gsxr.jpg  

ill put pics up when its in the new house.........

that suzuki is nice.....I myself am a big ninja fan

but is $5000 a bit much? the same place has an 02 cbr600 for $5200...just wondering why they would want so much....is it a lot better bike?
    -Cy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information