Thread: bike....?

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin

bike....?

im thinking about getting a motorcycle... recommendations...

i've never ridden before and id like to pick one up for the summer, its something ive always wanted to do and it's cheap transportation...

any suggestions/comments are appreciated.

thanks.

-MC

zx7racing is offline Senior Member
    http://anabolicreview.com/vbulletin/...ght=motorcycle
    heres a thread already mentioning all youre asking

IronCy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zx7racing
    http://anabolicreview.com/vbulletin/...ght=motorcycle
    heres a thread already mentioning all youre asking
    I was thinking the same thing! Good luck in your search.
    -Cy

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Think again if you live in a city with lots of crazy drivers. On the other hand, if you load your bike up on a pickup and drive to somewhere scenic, ya, that's the way to go.

First thing you want to do is sign up for a motorcycle riders safety training class. Honda and Harley dealers sponsor them and can give you a phone number to call to get signed up (they usually last Friday night, 8 hours on Saturday, 8 hours on Sunday).
    Then you want to dig up info on the net about the "Hurt motorcycle report." It's a summary of 800 motorcycle accidents in California, and you can learn what the risk factors are for accidents. Words for the wise.

After that, decide what kind of bike you want (crotch rocket, cruiser, regular, off-road, whatever), and make sure that whatever bike you get, it's in excellent mechanical condition. There's nothing more inconvenient than buzzing along at 60 mph and your chain breaking, or front end going crazy with violent oscillations sending flying over the handlebars, or whatever.

Back in the 70's, a really big bike had 350 or 400 cc. Honda had a Hondamatic with 350 cc back then. My 500 cc Kawasaki had enough get up and go to beat a Corvette, lots more than I'd ever need. Nowadays they've got bikes with engines bigger than what they put in cars, which IMHO is crazy, but I suppose it comes in handy if you're gonna use your bike to tow a boat or trailer or something.

A good all-around general purpose bike would be a Honda Nighthawk. It's got a comfortable seating arrangement (no hunching over) and works for longer trips. My Vulcan was ok for riding around town, but anything over 200 miles would leave my back in agony. Never rode a crotch rocket, but I can't imagine riding one of those for more than an hour . . .
    If insurance is gonna be a consideration, something like a good used Nighthawk or a cruiser would probably be cheapest. Crotchrockets will definitely cost ya, since most wrecks on on those bikes.
    If you want some good independant info on a particular bike, see if the web site for "Motorcycle Consumer News" is still up (I think it's www.mcnews.com ). They did mostly independant analysis on various bikes, weren't obliged to manufacturers and gave some good info.

Well, that's about it . . . for sure, though, if you do nothing else, take that riders safety class. It's about $150 or so, but the Honda dealers will credit that if you buy something from them . . .

Hope it helps . ..
    --Tock

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    My dad sells Indians... americas first motor cycle lol

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    I just got into motorcyles myself. Id give you one good piece of advice. If you value your life DONT GET ONE. its a freakin death toy! Accident waiting to happen. you can be safe as hell but accidents are always two-way meaning someone can bump you and if that happens it coul be fatal.

You being an adult have the final say and if your going to get one anyway id suggest a couple.
    Prestige and performance: Ducatti of course!
    Bang for your buck and kick ass reliability: Yamaha r1

Ooops bikes i mentioned are for speed not neccessarily for comfort. Good luck and ride safely!

Spoon

tycin is offline Anabolic Member
    if u can afford a chopper they're the way to go!

Skin-and-Bone is offline Junior Member
    I've recently just done some motorcycle training in London, England (I live there), and as things stand I'm able to ride a bike of up to 125cc for two years as long as I don't use motorways, or carry passengers. I'll be able to ride bikes up to 500cc, carry passengers, and use motorways once I have passed my full test, but I won't be able to ride anything more powerful until I've had the licence for 2 years.

I'm completely into choppers, but as things are, I would not be able to afford the insurance, and the they're not really practical in a busy city like London.

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin
    thanks for the replies bros... i already looked into a training course in my area, they actually certify you for a lisence over the weekend too, which is kick ass...

i'll prob end up going with some kind od crotch rocket because im too poor for a harley or a custom chopper, and im still not quiteeee badass enough to ride one.

again, thanks for the valuable info...

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    New Honda Nighthawk 750's go for $5799 and are mucho cheaper to insure. You can probably get a decent used one for half that.
    http://powersports.honda.com/motorcy...ModelId=CB7503

If you think you'll be riding for distances and want to pack a lot of stuff for the trip, what you want is a Honda Pacific Coast 800 (basically, a scaled-down Goldwing). They haven't made any in a while, so you'd have to buy used. They come with a built-in trunk that can hold a couple of helmets, and it locks, too. After you've been riding a short while, you'll wish you could lock stuff up in your bike while you go inside a 7-11 or McDonalds's.

Whatever you get, make sure there are lots of spare parts available for it. My Kawasaki dealer charged $40 for a turn signal flasher, took 3 weeks to get it.
    Ride safe . . .
    --Tock

floyd_turbo is offline Member
    harleys are a pain in the ass..... pain to buy, pain to fix... though honda's are cheaper i wouldnt be caught dead on one... go independent

ft-

yo man check out our new DVD! ! !

www.sbfreaks.com

I'd reccomend for never riding before dude, the new Honda CBR 600RR, its not too much of a super psycho amount of power but easily learnable.Or if you want to go Yamaha go with the new R6 also a 600cc bike,or if you like Suzuki, i'd reccomend the new GSXR750. Seriously bro they all scream, but your less likely to kill yourself on a these few,rather than jumping onto a 1000cc bike.

And if your gettin' good, and your in the NOR CAL AREA,lol, drop me a dime and we'll put you in the next stunnin video.

www.sbfreaks.com

razor67 is offline Banned
    im kinda fond of my gsxr1000... have 25 g's invested but running low 8's.. i guess its worth it....lol

Stove is offline Associate Member
    Start on the nighthawk 250 or 750, after about 2 years go to a 600 cc crotchrocket if that is what you want. Tock is giving very wise advice here. I have been riding since the age of 4 in the dirt, and since the age of 13 on the street. My first streetbike was a YAMAHA RZ 350 nice quick bike to learn on. My last 2 bikes were a CBR 900 RR, then a YZF R1, current bike, 2003 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX12R in cosmic metallic splendor. Glad to see your interested in bikes, just take it slow and you'll be ok.
    Oh-Yeah, and the biggest rule: Never try and show off or ride over your head, it will just end up hurting your wallet, or worse, your life.
    Good Luck!

jammergsxr is offline Member
    Try looking at a honda919,i love mine

919? or 929

borderbound is offline Junior Member
    hi bro
    im an old school rider of crotch rockets had 12 of them over the last 15 years

from your profile i see you arent puny at around 5'9 175 #
    my best advise if you go the sport bike route is to go with a 600

any less and your cojones will be bored in a couple months any more
    and your brain and experience wont be able to back up your cojones if you get my drift

most all decent 600 made in the last 10 years will do just fine it is the most popular size therfore there are tons of cheaper used ones out there
    and every jap company made a pretty decent one
    here is my thoughts of them ive rode them all

gsxr 600 best performance , least comfort but who cares
    cbr 600 best all around
    kawasaki zx6 just about the same as a cbr 600
    kawasaki zx6r just a little less hi-performance than a gsxr600 ,more comfort
    yamaha r6 all around most hi-perf. of all the 600's

these assesments are based on a budget , of buying a 1996 -1998
    era bike cant go wrong with any really the 600 class is so competetive

decadbal is offline Banned
    dude that pic of the chunk is to dam funny.... only a mother could love that kid

trailboss is offline Junior Member
    Just keep it real bro, and maybe take one of the riders courses from AMA, heres the link. http://www.ama-cycle.org/roadride/NewRider/BAmsf.asp

Check out my pic, you'll see the missing leg. Bike wreck in april '97. I was tooling along, on my KLR 650 dual sport, minding my own business (doing over 120 of course) and lost it on a curve. Dont really remember much, handlebars were tracking bad, lost it and bounced off a bunch of trees on the opposite side of the road. First tree took my leg off at the knee, another folded my pelvis like a book (still got a titanium gizmo in there holding it together) and another smashed up my left shoulder and helmet. 2.5 months in hospital, 3 months in rehab, lost every bit of muscle I ever worked for since 14 yrs old as my body fed off of itself to survive. I was 230 the day of the wreck and woke up 2 weeks later about 155. bout 25 of that was leg but...

Subsequent anger prob's, drinking, divorce, career change, all kinds of stuff.

Bikes are like roids; if your an asshole OFF them, you'll be an asshole ON them...lol...I guess I am an asshole....truth hurts.

Im feeling much better now though...lol...be careful, happy motoring bro!

jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    Stay away from the gsxr 1000 dog. It is way to fast!!! (Death wish)

KKELLY1 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monstercojones
    im thinking about getting a motorcycle... recommendations...

i've never ridden before and id like to pick one up for the summer, its something ive always wanted to do and it's cheap transportation...

any suggestions/comments are appreciated.

thanks.

-MC
    IT DEPENDS ON WHAT SIZE YOU ARE AND HOW MUCH YOU HAVE TO SPEND. A REALLY GOOD STARTER BIKE IS A CBR 600F4I OR THE CBR 600RR

jammergsxr is offline Member
    No not a 929 a 919,they just came out in 2002 it's a naked street bike with a more upright riding position.Only come in two colors,asphalt and smoke,I have an asphalt(flat black).Comfortable with all the power of the rockets but cheaper insurance because no plastic and they dont know what the hell it is.Pure wheelie machine.

floyd_turbo is offline Member
    trailboss thats real man...sorry to hear that bro, stay strong... people new to bikes pay the **** attention..

ft-

Vidooch is offline Associate Member
    i personally love ducatis. i own a 2003 999R myself

decadbal is offline Banned
    i see i have been replaced to bumpin the old threads...

Thread Information