Thread: best man

floyd_turbo is offline Member

best man

need some help from the bro's.. i'm best man at my bro's wedding coming this june.. i got to make a speech at the rehersal dinner... can anyone offer some help/ tips... much appreciated

ft-

Philliagorillia is offline Associate Member
    I have a wedding to go to soon, im not the best man but me and 2 buddies made huge wigns to hold up as they both walk down the isle, RUN MATT RUN. Im not too keen on speeches or public speaking, but something from the heart man, that will always work.

mfenske is offline Member
    STAY SOBER!!! That's the best advice I can give. Write down a few thoughts on an index card and stuff it in your pocket. Speak from the heart and you'll be fine. Mark

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    are you looking for sentimental, funny, or both????

Long&Strong is offline Associate Member
    I agree, SOBER, is the key for a great speech, you can celebrate after you are done speaking. I wouldn't advise making any comments about the grooms past girlfriends or boyfriends???? l.o.l if you want him to have a good honeymoon

ColdSore is offline Banned
    yep sober is good...i got too drunk too early at my best freinds wedding and rambled for about 30 minutes...needless to say everyone was NOT impressed with my speech

cb25 is offline Banned
    Everyone else nailed step #1...stay sober. Your speech will be much more meaningful that way...

My advice, i'd assume you're closer to the groom, but say something sweet about the bride. You can make jokes about him...but say something sweet and flattering...

Most importantly, no one can tell you what to say...say something appropriate, something that fits these 2 people and that fits you...don't try to be something you're not.

stack-a-licious is offline Associate Member
    hey, i said this at my brothers wedding...i was the best man....it was pretty darn funny...i said it like this..
    "before i get started, if anyone is feeling nervous, sick, or nausous, its probobly cause you just married dave" (dave is my brother obviously)...
    that was a great joke to get the crowd warmed up... i had them laughing like crazy the whole time... use that...i am a naturally funny person, so it worked well for me...then start dancing like this guy....i had 2 shots of jegermeister before my speech and did it perfect...but thats just me...

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    I am the best man of my buddies wedding this coming weekend...and i too have to give aspeech...I am nervouse...but after a few beers (not too many...something to cool my nerves)....I am just going to wing it....speak from the heart....I will try to say funny things but I am most likely going to keep it short and sweet....best sides he is marrying my cousin...so i can't say too much.

Just do what those said above...take some notes and then speak from the heart.

stack-a-licious is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch
    I am the best man of my buddies wedding this coming weekend...and i too have to give aspeech...I am nervouse...but after a few beers (not too many...something to cool my nerves)....I am just going to wing it....speak from the heart....I will try to say funny things but I am most likely going to keep it short and sweet....best sides he is marrying my cousin...so i can't say too much.

Just do what those said above...take some notes and then speak from the heart.

have something planned...and a good way to end is to ask everyone to raise their drinks, then ask the everyone to assist you in congratulating the new bride & groom... good solid ending...but i have been to sooo many weddings where they best man tries to wing it and they blow it... i would have something prepared, then wing the rest...
    good luck...and HAVE FUN!!! great place to meet chicks...

zx7racing is offline Senior Member
    i had the same probelm and procrastinated to the point that it was wedding day and i had no speech prepared..
    do a search for best man toasts, etc... you'll find a short one you can memorize and throw at them.
    ohh- and i was to total opposite of sober during the whole thing ( so was the groom)..lol

Danielle is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd_turbo
    need some help from the bro's.. i'm best man at my bro's wedding coming this june.. i got to make a speech at the rehersal dinner... can anyone offer some help/ tips... much appreciated

ft-

no one can really tell you what to say at YOUR friends wedding.......basically just talk about how much you enjoyed his friendship and all the experiences you guys shared over the years and that you wish him luck in his marriage and the future.........and KEEP IT SHORT!!!!!!!....no rambling......
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

floyd_turbo is offline Member
    thanks, some really good advice here... i'm an okay public speaker but this one's gonna be in front of 400-500 people... dont really wanna feel like a sheit-head in front of that many people.... bump for more advice

thanks again
    ft-

Thread Information