BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Back in the day in this lounge, I remember we had a pretty **** good discussion as to not only what your favorite movie(s) was/were, but what criteria you thought needed to be met in order that movie be categorized as truly great. For those who recall my no-doubt jumbled meanderings, I argued strongly for the idea that for a movie to be great, it had to explore all elements of the filmic medium - not just the narrative element, but cinematography, seamless acting, elements of construct, soundtrack, etc, etc.

Well, for maybe the first time in three years or so, I saw a movie that, in my opinion, addresses with great success all the elements of film: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet). The story was engaging as all hell in and of itself, but it was incredibly enhanced by the camera work and the entire visual element of the film. It's often tough for early spring movies to be remembered come Oscar time, but this film is certainly worthy. In my opinion, the movie is made MUCH more engaging if you've been in at least one serious long term relationship...though that's not to say it's not enjoyable regardless.

Anyone else had the chance to see this yet? I'd love to get a discussion going along the lines of our old vanilla sky discussion....this film definitely warrants such.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Sorry Big Green but I hated Vanilla Sky....in my opinion that movie sucked the big one..but then again I've never been one noted for my intelect or fine tastes.....guess I'm too much the simpleton. I'll have to check out this other one you mention...I like Jim Cary.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    Sorry Big Green but I hated Vanilla Sky....in my opinion that movie sucked the big one..but then again I've never been one noted for my intelect or fine tastes.....guess I'm too much the simpleton. I'll have to check out this other one you mention...I like Jim Cary.
    I'd go so far as to predict Carrey getting an oscar nomination for this one. I don't think the academy will "let" him win, but it's really one of the most magnificent pieces of acting I've ever seen on-screen. Ironically, the fact that this is the same guy who played "fire marshall Bill" and "Ace Ventura" only puts you that much more in awe of what he's doing. I'll be seeing this again as soon as I find somehow to head to the theatre with me....my gf and I talked about this thing for a good hour or two after the fact. It was just an incredibly powerful film. Def not for a passive audience that just wants to see something unfold very linearly....you have to be actively involved for the film to work.

cb25 is offline Banned
    This is another movie i've really wanted to see...

the premise of it is interesting...if you could erase a painful part of you life, would you? And by doing so, wouldn't you be erasing what it is that made you who you are today??

I have a feeling it goes much beyond that throughout the movie...but i'll revisit this thread after i finally see the movie...

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    See here...this might not be a good one for me due to the fact that I crave order and easy to follow plots for my movie watching.

Boy meets girl. Boy loses girl. Boy kills Orca whale with slingshot, can of sterno and a pencil sharpner. Boy wins girls heart but tragicly gets killed by a beer truck. Girl ends up hooked on crack and becomes Queen. hahahahahaha

Thread Information