symatech is offline Retired Moderator

Is Good conversation lost in the world?

Recently I found myself sitting at london heathrow airport on a 6 hour layover. My friend and I were discussing -amongs many gin and tonics- john locke and descartes. The woman at the table next to ours leaned towards her husband and whispered -but rather loudly- "I can't believe they're talking about that". this lady was painting her nails and browsing through cosmopolitan magazine. i was shocked...probably because I was kind of drunk. But seriously, is good conversation gone today? do people think anymore or do they just watch tv

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    "No TV and no beer make Homer go something something"

Sorry, i cant take your, or harvey's posts seriously! I always hear homer talking

thats alright i dont take much seriously myself either

rambo is offline The Lord God
    I feel you syma, and yes, for the most part, it is indeed lost. There are few people who are able to carry on diligent conversations regarding things not found on TV. And I don't know many of them.

In hindsight, you should've bitchslapped her.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Do you ever notice that most philosophical arguments or disccusions mostly happen when your drunk and stoned?

Spoon

Philliagorillia is offline Associate Member
    Is it just me or is there always a layover in that airport, because everytime im there i always get stuck there for hours wating for my flight...

Quote Originally Posted by Philliagorillia
    Is it just me or is there always a layover in that airport, because everytime im there i always get stuck there for hours wating for my flight...
    Only had one long long delay at heathrow out of dozens of flights there... 6 hour delay because half an inch of snow fell on the ground that morning.... god... get your **** together guys!

Needless to say I knew every nook and cranny of terminal 4 after that delay!

Red

RJM03 is offline Senior Member
    "Maybe its the beer talking, but John Locke is the greatest writer ever AWHAHSAHGHSHSHKDL......soft chewy pretzels.....5 DOLLARS!!! Get outta here."

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliagorillia
    When I was in the Marines I spent 6 or 7 days flying from Germany to Macedonia via C-130. We kept flying there but the fog was so thick he couldn't see the strip to land That was a long week - I kept going back to Ramstein and playing the slot machines and watching sh!tty movies in the base theater (sometimes the movies would just cut out for like 30 mikes)...

bigbouncinballs is offline Senior Member
    you know syma, dealing with the same thing although in a classroom setting, i don't believe it's necessarily a loss of good conversation, but rather the growing and blatant rudeness of people who don't know.

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    this lady was painting her nails and browsing through cosmopolitan magazine.
    There you go... she way painting her nails and reading a cosmo. Classic bimbo act, as she hears something that wasnt on a reality show or sex in the city she had to bash it

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I'd have to say yes it is very rare to find someone to carry a decent conversation with. Most grew up with a tv for a babysitter so the attention span is a little lacking. I myself don't really get into deep conversations due to my lack of intellegence. Pop always said it was better to keep my mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

stack-a-licious is offline Associate Member
    those cosmo reading, nail painters are good for 1 thing... smokin some pole during a flight delay...

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 956Vette
    "No TV and no beer make Homer go something something"

Sorry, i cant take your, or harvey's posts seriously! I always hear homer talking

" go crazy?" "dont mind if i do!" me too.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    lol, i was just trying to get under symatechs skin by quoting something from TV

sepjuice is offline Anabolic Member
    i agree cosmo,gurly mags,really know how to give gurls dumb a$$ ideas,..ever look through one(my wifey reads them)....dumb,dumb,dumb.....such titles as "how to find the love of your life in 3 days"<<like they know ...i hate those mags!!~~

Quote Originally Posted by 956Vette
    lol, i was just trying to get under symatechs skin by quoting something from TV
    hahahah you failed because you quoted the simpsons. if you had quoted the fat obnoxious fiancee show i would have punched right through the computer monitor most likely snapping all my tendons. i hate tv

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    We live in a USA Today kind of world. Everybody wants a short dummied down executive summary of everything, including conversation. Finding someone to talk about Survivor or Britney's latest antics takes about 2 seconds because most people arent concerned with much else these days. I for one am a fan of the Seinfeldian conversation type.......superficial, but yet suprisingly in depth and always interesting.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    I for one am a fan of the Seinfeldian conversation type.......superficial, but yet suprisingly in depth and always interesting.

I knew I fell for you for a reason.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    I for one am a fan of the Seinfeldian conversation type.......superficial, but yet suprisingly in depth and always interesting.
    i'd agree with this...well said.

decadbal is offline Banned
    instead of "is good" i think you mean have good and not alot of ppl rate their convos...lol

RP7
    RP7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    Do you ever notice that most philosophical arguments or disccusions mostly happen when your drunk and stoned?

Spoon
    Yes. Yes I do.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    IMO for the most part good conversation is a lost thing, then again it depends on what interests you. Good conversation could be two chicks talking about who J. Lo is gonna marry next. Well at least they might think it's good conversation.

Thread Information