Thread: Body Guards?

Terinox is offline The One & Only

Body Guards?

Anyone here know anything about body guards? Maybe it's one word huh? Well wutever who gives a ...

Anywho, questions, like, are they allowed to carry guns? I mean, does it depend what kind of body guard and what country? Let's say the U.S. but more specifically Canada. I know you don't JUST become a body guard like that, you need training and all that. Obviously it would be easier too if you were a cop or something. I hear a lot of Canadian ex-military (something about RFT soldiers) who become body guards cuz much more pay and less work.

Anywho, IF you are allowed to carry a gun while body guarding, where can you take it? Is it allowed to be on your at all times? Are you allowed to wear a bullet-proof vest anywhere you go?

I know of one Canadian training facility, and I believe it's located around Barrie, Ontario, north of Toronto.

Anywho, just curious, any info u gotz would be quite nice and appreciated and all that and what you call it

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Everone is allowed to carry bulletproof vests teri.
    Dont know the laws over there but here the bodyguards (one word) are armed with glocks when working but not allowed to carry them when off duty. Being an ex policeman/military helps but i know a carpenter that have done the bodyguard training program and he didnt have trouble getting a job.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    are you planning to become a bodyguard? just wondering?

Spoon

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Depends on the state also, regarding the gun issue, and ........ like in MN they have to get the Private detective license..

to do that kind of work....... if they are carry concealed... other wise work for you..

but just big guys.... walking around with you?? no big thing....
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

In canada there are 2 kinds of body guards...

The ones who protect politicians and officials are cops... municipal, provincial or RCMP (and I was surprised to learn Military Police are used for minor fed. politicians) with bodyguard traiing on special plainclothes assignment.

They are obiviously fully armed being cops and have all the rights cops have here.

Then there are the bodyguards for the rest of us... the ones you'd hire if you needed one (or would work as if you wanted to do this).

Non police bodyguards in Canada are registered rent-a-cops (security guards) with all the rights that gives them (basically none). They work plainclothes and are not armed, nor do they have any right to be armed.

A handfull of them do have a permit to carry a handgun, but it is HEAVILY regulated. They don't give out those permits to just anyone, you need a darn good reason (protecting high risk civilians), have lots of training and have been in the business a long time (5 years as a registeres rent-a-cop here). Those few licensed to carry may only have their weapon while on duty, period. When the work shift is over, the gun goes back to quartermaster at the security agency.

Too much darn trouble bro... Join the cops if you want to play those games...

Red

EDIT: I checked with a friend in the QPP, he told me the vast majority of civilian bodyguards who manage to get a carry permit to be armed are ex-cops... he said chances are VERY slim if you're not.
    Last edited by Red Ketchup; 04-09-2004 at 10:24 AM.

Superhuman is offline Banned
    in Colorado where I live, you can carry a shotgun (unloaded) through the streets if you want. To by a rifle or shotgun, you just have to be 18 and when you buy it you sign your name... that's it. To have a handgun, you have to be 21 and get it registered. If you want to carry it around on your waist visible, then you can. If you want to hide it in some way, you have to get a CCW(Carrying Concealed Weapon) permit. Any civilian can do this, permitting they are not a felon and have a clean record.

TooSmall is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhuman
    in Colorado where I live, you can carry a shotgun (unloaded) through the streets if you want. To by a rifle or shotgun, you just have to be 18 and when you buy it you sign your name... that's it. To have a handgun, you have to be 21 and get it registered. If you want to carry it around on your waist visible, then you can. If you want to hide it in some way, you have to get a CCW(Carrying Concealed Weapon) permit. Any civilian can do this, permitting they are not a felon and have a clean record.

im glad i dont live there

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    are you planning to become a bodyguard? just wondering?

Spoon
    Not sure bro. I've always been interested in police work. The main thing stopping me from trying is 1. Parents 2. School 3. Eyesight (i wear contacts, and they do not meet the requirement which I think is 20/10, cuz without glasses, I can't see $HIT!!!)

However, it's always been an interest, so I was wondering how one could be a bodyguard. So here in Canada (thanks for the info by the way Red), it seems best thing to do is be a cop first.

Oh, and I never wanted to be an ordinary street cop. I know everyone has to start that way. But I always wanted to be like special unit or something, like moving on to Detective or something, even Private Investigator seems cool. Or, even SWAT. And I'm guessing even Toronto has a SWAT team, I'm guessing every major city has to have a SWAT team.
    Last edited by Terinox; 04-09-2004 at 01:09 PM.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Terinox,

I believe the eyesight requirements for RCMP are something to the effect of 20/20 corrected which basically means if you are ok with specs or contacts you are good to go.

Don't be a bodyguard in Canada.....minimal civillain work to be found. You wanna be a bodyguard get join the miliatry for training and when you service is over move to Israel, Central America, or South America.

Yes, many major cities in Canada have SWAT teams and teh RCMP has an emergency response team that deals with the same kinda stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    Not sure bro. I've always been interested in police work. The main thing stopping me from trying is 1. Parents 2. School 3. Eyesight (i wear contacts, and they do not meet the requirement which I think is 20/10, cuz without glasses, I can't see $HIT!!!)

However, it's always been an interest, so I was wondering how one could be a bodyguard. So here in Canada (thanks for the info by the way Red), it seems best thing to do is be a cop first.

Oh, and I never wanted to be an ordinary street cop. I know everyone has to start that way. But I always wanted to be like special unit or something, like moving on to Detective or something, even Private Investigator seems cool. Or, even SWAT. And I'm guessing even Toronto has a SWAT team, I'm guessing every major city has to have a SWAT team.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Terinox,

I believe the eyesight requirements for RCMP are something to the effect of 20/20 corrected which basically means if you are ok with specs or contacts you are good to go.

Don't be a bodyguard in Canada.....minimal civillain work to be found. You wanna be a bodyguard get join the miliatry for training and when you service is over move to Israel, Central America, or South America.

Yes, many major cities in Canada have SWAT teams and teh RCMP has an emergency response team that deals with the same kinda stuff.
    Thanks for the info bro. I don't think I would wanna leave Canada though. I really like it here. That RCMP ERT sounds cool. I guess something like cop would be the thing for me. The military is a little too far for me.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Hey bro, if you are serious about becoming one, IM me. My buddy who is in his late 40's used to be a bodyguard for the PM. Maybe he could answer some of your questions.

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhuman
    wher do u live in the jungle

Quote Originally Posted by §ierra_350
    Hey bro, if you are serious about becoming one, IM me. My buddy who is in his late 40's used to be a bodyguard for the PM. Maybe he could answer some of your questions.
    Thanks a lot bro, but I still got some way to go. If I wanna finish school first, I got like another 2-3 years before trying that stuff anyways, but thanks for the offer

For now, it's mainly just brainstorming and what not.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    It was great when i lived there....... violent crime was very low........

imagine walking down the street...... and you go to mug someone...... and the passerby across the streets stops you.........

Crack don't smoke itself.......

Quote Originally Posted by TooSmall
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

RP7
    RP7 is offline Member
    Terinox,

Toronto does have a SWAT team.. its called the ETF and you need to be a cop with a minimum of 3 years experience (or maybe its 5)? You can apply for that as a cop.

Why not join the Army Reserve? I've been in for 3 years now... there's lots of units in and around the GTA. I have loads of experience with weapons (everything from pistols to machine guns to grenade launchers). It's a hell of a job and decent pay. If you're interested PM me.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitiaGuy
    wher do u live in the jungle
    Here a hunter can walk around town with his rifle (unloaded and visable) if he wants to, he only needs to have his hunting and rifle licences ready cause everyone will freak and call the cops on him every 10 seconds

thegorilla is offline Associate Member

my .02

My experience with the bodyguard work :

**Ive protected and intimidated while my client has stressed his issues

**Ive beat people up for cash

**Ive stalked clients girlfriends while they were out of town

**Ive protected groups in night club scenes from punks

** The only rule Ive ever followed is this, IF YOU EVER GET PHYSICAL WITH SOMEONE DO THE FOLLOWING :
    1) LEAVE AFTER THE CONFRONTATION

2) RACE TO THE MAGISTRATES OFFICE FILE A REPORT

9 TIMES OUT OF TEN THIS KEEPS YOU OUT OF TROUBLE.

MY .02

THEINFAMOUSAPE

THEGORILLA

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSmall
    you don't have to be glad. All criminals get their firearms illegally anyway.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Terinox
    Thanks a lot bro, but I still got some way to go. If I wanna finish school first, I got like another 2-3 years before trying that stuff anyways, but thanks for the offer

For now, it's mainly just brainstorming and what not.
    No problem bro, good luck with what you decide.

Thread Information